By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Terry Balaam

Here is a list of all the postings Terry Balaam has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hay bales
16/10/2018 17:43:08

Regards to the weight of corn sacks. I started work in a granary in 1959. We had four bushel sacks called a comb. A comb of barley weighed 16 stone a comb of wheat 18 stone and a comb of oats 12 stone. Beans would have been 20 stone though we didn't use comb sacks for beans. sometime in the mid 1960's sacks weighing over 12 stone were made illegal. Although I was allowed to carry sacks upto 8 stone I was not supposed to carry anything heavier until I was over 18 years. Not all of the granary staff were heavy built one I remember was only about 10 stone and 5ft 8 ins high and he could work most the agricultural students we had with us for harvest into the ground. There was knack to how you balanced the large sacks on your shoulders not like you see on the films.

Thread: A useful safety addition to the drill press
31/08/2018 16:28:32

I liked Mark's idea for a stop to prevent work spinning round when drilling, so I turned one up out of a piece of Alli. Then I though why only one stop so I turned up another one so the two together make an adjustable back to slide work along when drilling a one or more holes on a common line.

Thread: Classifieds
21/08/2018 17:33:25

I have already put one post on the forum will this one give me access to the classifieds?

21/08/2018 17:31:39

I have already put one post on the forum will this one give me access to the classifieds?

Thread: The colour of threshing machines.
07/08/2018 18:36:50

I have followed the Post in the Forum with interest for several years. This is the first time I have added a post.

The Posts on Alligator belt fasteners was interesting as when I started work it was in a granary and Alligator fastners were in use but the most common type were the types in the photo.

You could judge if the machine was running at the correct speed by the clicking of the joints as they went over the pulleys.

Belt Fasteners

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Meridienne oct 2019
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
cowbells
Ausee.com.au
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest