By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Pence

Here is a list of all the postings Pence has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Colchester Bantam lathe lead screw
27/07/2019 19:38:51
Posted by Pete Rimmer on 27/07/2019 15:19:40:

A couple of things the seller said don't ring true. If he claimed that the metric and imperial screws were identical why would he find it necessary to change the screw and the apron? Either he didn't realise until he bought them that the threading dial and half nuts he got were useless to work on the metric screw or (more likely) he knew full well what he was doing and just wanted to produce inch threads with the dial but didn't want to spoil the sale by letting on it was not the standard item for the machine.

Luckily for you it's not a total disaster and cutting metric threads with the screw you have is only a matter of getting hold of the requisite gears for the end cluster. What you need will depend on what machine you actually have.

yes looking at the boxfthreadp program using the 127/120 gears to compensate the box will still produce all the threads without different gears than calculated in the handbook except modular ones. But they probably will never be used anyway. But I think this would certainly put somebody off if I decided to sell so I think I'm stuck with it unless I sell as spares and repair for much less than I paid.

Nevertheless I came across this thead where this user rohart claims "My Colchester Bantam runs a 6mm leadscrew, and contrary to all the factory specs it is fitted with an indicator. " very puzzling maybe the 6mm thread will drive the dial gear after looking in the spare parts manual.

I will soon get to my Bantam and measure that thread that assume is 4tpi - surely 4 threads in 24mm is easy to distinguish from 4tpi!

Thread: Metric Bantam lathe and 19tpi threads
09/07/2019 08:48:56
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 07/07/2019 23:11:35:

I've investigated using a spread-sheet (MS 'Excel' to calculate change-wheel combinations.

'

it is possible to cut most threads with a wrong 4tpi leadscrew on a metric Bantam using the 127/120 gears to correct only one looses the modular threads as far as I can see according to boxthreadp.exe. Maybe something can be done with some wacky gear combinations for the modular bit but it is not ideal.

01/07/2019 16:37:40
Posted by Mike Lunch on 01/07/2019 10:16:22:

"may I ask if you could be kind enough as you have a metric Bantam like me to measure the leadscrew whether it is 4tpi or 4 in 24mm (6mm pitch metric)."

Dear Pence,

I have just measured mine, and yes it is 6mm pitch.

Regards, Mike

Edited By Mike Lunch on 01/07/2019 10:18:25

okay thanks for that - looks like I have a 4tpi thread on a metric machine, not sure what kind of threads that will cut! Looks like I will have to hunt down a metric leadscrew.

28/06/2019 19:25:00
Posted by Mike Lunch on 01/09/2018 08:19:04:

I have a Bantam 600 with metric thread cutting (Condor) gearbox. These are the gear ratios that I have put into the superb boxfthreadp.exe program - they seem to work well for me - tested on 26tpi

Bantam gearbox ratios

gear

A

B

C

lever

ratio

ratio

ratio

I deduced these by counting 10 turns of the input shaft and then measuring the saddle movement on the DRO and working out how many turns that equated to of the screw cutting shaft at 6mm pitch.

Hope this helps others.

I am stunned by that little program, it seems to enable me to calculate the gear sets to plug all the gaps in TPI threads to allow me to cut all BSF, BSW, UNF, UNC, BSP, NPT and BA threads using the standard wheels included with the metric lathe.

Of course only some of the gear combinations will actually fit into the lathe but the program produces a huge number of alternative combinations so it is straightforward to select those gear wheel that will fit and mesh.

may I ask if you could be kind enough as you have a metric Bantam like me to measure the leadscrew whether it is 4tpi or 4 in 24mm (6mm pitch metric). I need to know as my machine has had the leadscrew replaced as explained here: https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=143129

Thread: Colchester Bantam lathe lead screw
28/06/2019 09:46:08

the thing is if he did measure them for 6mm pitch there would be 4 in 24mm as oppose to 4 in 25.4mm a noticeable difference surely nobody could make such a mistake?

26/06/2019 11:37:10
Posted by Keith Rogers 2 on 26/06/2019 10:37:33:

Pence.

My imperial Bantam leadscrew is 4tpi.

Keith.

okay thanks that's very useful. Now all I need is somebody with a metric bantam to measure the leadscrew to see if its 4tpi too or disaster 6mm!

Edited By Pence on 26/06/2019 11:37:58

25/06/2019 19:44:13
Posted by old mart on 25/06/2019 19:28:45:

Why don't you measure the length of 10 pitches of the thread? Then it will be obvious what leadscrew you have.

its in storage at the moment but if both Eagle and Condor have 4tpi I still would not know I might wrongly assume its incorrect expecting mine should be 6mm. I'll try to measure it as soon as I can get to the lathe anyway.

Edited By Pence on 25/06/2019 19:44:57

25/06/2019 18:49:27

A while back, I bought a Colchester Bantam metric lathe - the chap had changed the lead screw and lower sadle in order to have the thread dial lacking on the metric lathe.

He assured me that the lead screw was identical on the metric and imperial versions of the lathe, I was skeptical but thinking about it why would Colchester make two different threads at extra cost and surely he would have checked by measuring them first.

Now looking in the manual I see the Eagle and Condor have 4tpi and 6mm threads respectively.

I was wondering if somebody could be kind enough to measure the thread on the Eagle and presumably somebody else (unless you have both) the Condor to clear this up?

I dread the answer that they are in fact different (head ache tablets on the ready...

Thread: ECLIPSE No 39 Drill Bit Sharpener
11/04/2019 20:19:35
Posted by thomas oliver 2 on 11/04/2019 19:45:09:

I have been sharpening drills for eight decades ( believe it or not) I have the Eclipse, the Picador, and various other drill sharpening devices and they mostly require setting one edge then the other. I bought the sharpener from Lidl store for about £15 a year ago and all my troubles ended. The drill is mounted in a carrier and set to a gauge, one edge sharpened on the diamond wheel then the carrier is reversed and the other edge sharpened without need for resetting. It works fine and my local store has them in stock right now and gets them in regularly. It is also a multi sharpener and can sharpen chisels, garden shears, planes, and knives.

which sharper is that may I ask?

11/04/2019 19:23:25

What about these at least there is a spare stone included:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5-10mm-HSS-DRILL-BIT-SHARPENER-REPLACEMENT-GRINDING-STONE-SHARPENING-MACHINE/361521431396?hash=item542c5b4364:g:mpkAAOSwBRVbrQII

at this guy seems to have sharped a blunt drill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5yzpwH3ltY

10/04/2019 11:26:10
There's probably a good reason why Eclipse stopped making them. wink

Look up Reliance or Picador jigs to use with a bench grinder, or if you're feeling a bit more flush with cash, maybe the Sealey SMS2008

Bill

Bill thanks for taking the time to look at the Eclipse. I will look at those other options - at least the Sealey SMS2008 has a replacement wheel available though £13!

09/04/2019 20:55:30

Hello,

I was wondering if anybody has used a ECLIPSE No 39 Drill Bit Sharpener?

I would like to know if it can really sharpen say a common 6mm jobber drill for example on a bit of sand paper (right grade of coarse).

It seems like it would it take hours to sharped anything.

Any hands on experience would be welcome.

Edited By one pound on 09/04/2019 20:56:06

Thread: Colchester Bantam Adjustable foot thead?
11/12/2016 18:41:57
Posted by Neil Rimmer 1 on 11/12/2016 17:31:24:

I have a bantam Mk1 800, the threaded foot is just to adjustment to stop it rocking on the floor, you can bolt it too the floor, but it is quite happy with no bolts, it is not going to go anywhere.

I have mine on some old paving flags to get a bit more height, as it is a bit low for me.

Neil

yes I see that only one needs to be adjustable for it to level as the other three are like a tripod. I thought they were all threaded and adjustable to level the lathe my mistake!

08/12/2016 22:21:45
Posted by Frankiethepill on 08/12/2016 21:56:50:

Strange because my Bantam mk1 800 I'm sure has the same stand and the adjustable foot does have a 1"UNF adjuster. The other 3 'feet' aren't threaded as the hole in them is just for bolting down the stand to the floor. I don't think the stand was supplied with any feet to go in the three fixed lugs/feet.

Francis

Ah that explains it The other three are just approximately 1/2" holes then. The thing is I'm sure I have 4 rubber pad bolt things that came with the machine somewhere. Perhaps they don't all 4 adjust.

Thread: find second hand car online
08/12/2016 19:22:20

Where is a good place you have found online to search for a second hand car apart from Autotrader, Ebay, Gumtree & local paper?

Suggestions based on experience welcome. Thanks.

Thread: Colchester Bantam Adjustable foot thead?
08/12/2016 15:46:31

I was wondering if anybody knows for certain what the Colchester Bantam 1600 MK1 Adjustable foot thead is? the manual says 1" UNF but that's clearly wrong. The foot is full of mud and will need cleaning out so I want to be sure I've got the right tap - cant find the original feet at the moment to check with unfortunalety. Thanks

PS also are all three threaded?

Thread: Keeping rust away
15/11/2016 12:34:20
Posted by Curtis Rutter on 15/11/2016 09:27:07:

So I've finally bought a lathe, used ML7, won't be using it for a little while and only storage I have is a unheated garage. In regards to rust prevention other than the obvious external surfaces is there anywhere else I should consider lubricating/oiling

looking around on the internet others have suggested lps-3 used in the aircraft industry for longer term protection:

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/lubricants-and-chemicals/corrosion-preventatives-and-welders-anti-spatter/lps-3-heavy-duty-rust-inhibitor-380ml/p/LPS7271170P

I used to use an old gallon tin of Centigard which was excellent for short term protection but I cannot find it anymore so must have dissapeared long ago.

Edited By one pound on 15/11/2016 12:37:15

Thread: Hepworth Lathe copying attachment
14/11/2016 09:27:25
Posted by Hugo DeRrick on 13/11/2016 17:39:55:

Hi -

I can thoroughly recommend getting hold of a 'Hepworth' copier - they are a sublimely useful bit of kit.

Aside from the (infinite-ish) variety of standard copying duties, their ability to rapid-thread (with single & multipoint tools) is often overlooked - I also use mine in combination with a 'QuickStep' milling attachment for copy milling...

According my 1982 Colchester Lathes price list, the one for the Bantam (& Chipmaster) is the 'Hepworth 150', although according to my Hepworth brochure, the '310' was the smallest they made (suitable for lathes up to 13" swing) - either will be a better fit than a '472'.

WRT to the three-phase issue - you could always substitute a single-phase flange-mounted half-horse motor for the pump set's three phase one...

If you'd like a copy of the brochure (& a couple of pics of the thing in action), let me know your email address & I'll send 'em over.

H.

that'd be great thanks any info always useful or interesting.

This is a bit on the back burnwer at the moment since they are rather rare beasts but I'm not in a rush anyway.

On ebay a very good example had come up (and mostly bad) only they are usually off a mastif or similar - not realistic on a 5.5" Bantam!

Nevertheless Andrews measurements have been useful for gauging the size I need and now I have a model number or two this should make things easier.

24/08/2016 20:26:33

yes that's correct I am not terribly far from Cambridge; might take you up on that kind offer once I find a suitably sized attachment - more research I think for now! The point about the 3 phase could be a potential problem if it requires 415v as I'm stuck with a VFD.

23/08/2016 23:01:59

Andrew thanks for that very useful description. I think before I read your post I was just about to make a big mistake and get something way to large for my lathe! So now I'm going to do some checking.

The Bantams just over 5 1/2" so I think I'm one step down from you. I think I have mounting holes on the back so there is room for adapting.

I wonder if you would not mind doing some measurements when you can they'd be useful for working out the size. As a "yardstick" what is approximate the length (to the nearest 1/2" say) of the unit part that mounts on the cross slide? The distance between the two (presumably four total) mounting bolts on the cross slide shown in the first picture would be useful too, again no precision in measurement needed here.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Meridienne Sept 2019
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
Advertise With Us
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest