By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for one pound

Here is a list of all the postings one pound has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: ECLIPSE No 39 Drill Bit Sharpener
11/04/2019 20:19:35
Posted by thomas oliver 2 on 11/04/2019 19:45:09:

I have been sharpening drills for eight decades ( believe it or not) I have the Eclipse, the Picador, and various other drill sharpening devices and they mostly require setting one edge then the other. I bought the sharpener from Lidl store for about £15 a year ago and all my troubles ended. The drill is mounted in a carrier and set to a gauge, one edge sharpened on the diamond wheel then the carrier is reversed and the other edge sharpened without need for resetting. It works fine and my local store has them in stock right now and gets them in regularly. It is also a multi sharpener and can sharpen chisels, garden shears, planes, and knives.

which sharper is that may I ask?

11/04/2019 19:23:25

What about these at least there is a spare stone included:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5-10mm-HSS-DRILL-BIT-SHARPENER-REPLACEMENT-GRINDING-STONE-SHARPENING-MACHINE/361521431396?hash=item542c5b4364:g:mpkAAOSwBRVbrQII

at this guy seems to have sharped a blunt drill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5yzpwH3ltY

10/04/2019 11:26:10
There's probably a good reason why Eclipse stopped making them. wink

Look up Reliance or Picador jigs to use with a bench grinder, or if you're feeling a bit more flush with cash, maybe the Sealey SMS2008

Bill

Bill thanks for taking the time to look at the Eclipse. I will look at those other options - at least the Sealey SMS2008 has a replacement wheel available though £13!

09/04/2019 20:55:30

Hello,

I was wondering if anybody has used a ECLIPSE No 39 Drill Bit Sharpener?

I would like to know if it can really sharpen say a common 6mm jobber drill for example on a bit of sand paper (right grade of coarse).

It seems like it would it take hours to sharped anything.

Any hands on experience would be welcome.

Edited By one pound on 09/04/2019 20:56:06

Thread: Colchester Bantam Adjustable foot thead?
11/12/2016 18:41:57
Posted by Neil Rimmer 1 on 11/12/2016 17:31:24:

I have a bantam Mk1 800, the threaded foot is just to adjustment to stop it rocking on the floor, you can bolt it too the floor, but it is quite happy with no bolts, it is not going to go anywhere.

I have mine on some old paving flags to get a bit more height, as it is a bit low for me.

Neil

yes I see that only one needs to be adjustable for it to level as the other three are like a tripod. I thought they were all threaded and adjustable to level the lathe my mistake!

08/12/2016 22:21:45
Posted by Frankiethepill on 08/12/2016 21:56:50:

Strange because my Bantam mk1 800 I'm sure has the same stand and the adjustable foot does have a 1"UNF adjuster. The other 3 'feet' aren't threaded as the hole in them is just for bolting down the stand to the floor. I don't think the stand was supplied with any feet to go in the three fixed lugs/feet.

Francis

Ah that explains it The other three are just approximately 1/2" holes then. The thing is I'm sure I have 4 rubber pad bolt things that came with the machine somewhere. Perhaps they don't all 4 adjust.

Thread: find second hand car online
08/12/2016 19:22:20

Where is a good place you have found online to search for a second hand car apart from Autotrader, Ebay, Gumtree & local paper?

Suggestions based on experience welcome. Thanks.

Thread: Colchester Bantam Adjustable foot thead?
08/12/2016 15:46:31

I was wondering if anybody knows for certain what the Colchester Bantam 1600 MK1 Adjustable foot thead is? the manual says 1" UNF but that's clearly wrong. The foot is full of mud and will need cleaning out so I want to be sure I've got the right tap - cant find the original feet at the moment to check with unfortunalety. Thanks

PS also are all three threaded?

Thread: Keeping rust away
15/11/2016 12:34:20
Posted by Curtis Rutter on 15/11/2016 09:27:07:

So I've finally bought a lathe, used ML7, won't be using it for a little while and only storage I have is a unheated garage. In regards to rust prevention other than the obvious external surfaces is there anywhere else I should consider lubricating/oiling

looking around on the internet others have suggested lps-3 used in the aircraft industry for longer term protection:

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/lubricants-and-chemicals/corrosion-preventatives-and-welders-anti-spatter/lps-3-heavy-duty-rust-inhibitor-380ml/p/LPS7271170P

I used to use an old gallon tin of Centigard which was excellent for short term protection but I cannot find it anymore so must have dissapeared long ago.

Edited By one pound on 15/11/2016 12:37:15

Thread: Hepworth Lathe copying attachment
14/11/2016 09:27:25
Posted by Hugo DeRrick on 13/11/2016 17:39:55:

Hi -

I can thoroughly recommend getting hold of a 'Hepworth' copier - they are a sublimely useful bit of kit.

Aside from the (infinite-ish) variety of standard copying duties, their ability to rapid-thread (with single & multipoint tools) is often overlooked - I also use mine in combination with a 'QuickStep' milling attachment for copy milling...

According my 1982 Colchester Lathes price list, the one for the Bantam (& Chipmaster) is the 'Hepworth 150', although according to my Hepworth brochure, the '310' was the smallest they made (suitable for lathes up to 13" swing) - either will be a better fit than a '472'.

WRT to the three-phase issue - you could always substitute a single-phase flange-mounted half-horse motor for the pump set's three phase one...

If you'd like a copy of the brochure (& a couple of pics of the thing in action), let me know your email address & I'll send 'em over.

H.

that'd be great thanks any info always useful or interesting.

This is a bit on the back burnwer at the moment since they are rather rare beasts but I'm not in a rush anyway.

On ebay a very good example had come up (and mostly bad) only they are usually off a mastif or similar - not realistic on a 5.5" Bantam!

Nevertheless Andrews measurements have been useful for gauging the size I need and now I have a model number or two this should make things easier.

24/08/2016 20:26:33

yes that's correct I am not terribly far from Cambridge; might take you up on that kind offer once I find a suitably sized attachment - more research I think for now! The point about the 3 phase could be a potential problem if it requires 415v as I'm stuck with a VFD.

23/08/2016 23:01:59

Andrew thanks for that very useful description. I think before I read your post I was just about to make a big mistake and get something way to large for my lathe! So now I'm going to do some checking.

The Bantams just over 5 1/2" so I think I'm one step down from you. I think I have mounting holes on the back so there is room for adapting.

I wonder if you would not mind doing some measurements when you can they'd be useful for working out the size. As a "yardstick" what is approximate the length (to the nearest 1/2" say) of the unit part that mounts on the cross slide? The distance between the two (presumably four total) mounting bolts on the cross slide shown in the first picture would be useful too, again no precision in measurement needed here.

23/08/2016 11:16:35

Hello,

I'm considering getting a Hepworth Lathe copying attachment for my Bantam mk1.

So I really dont want to buy a manual for something that I may not get. Besides I do not know which models fit or whether some thing can be adapted.

I really want to know how feasable it is to fit on a Bantam and I would like a manual even for a model that wont fit as it will give an idea.

Thread: 3 jaw chuck D1-3 pins loose as a goose
21/12/2015 15:09:57
Posted by Nick_G on 20/12/2015 21:14:26:

I think I know what you are asking.

When I get home I will make a little video of do's and don't for camlocks.

Thanks Nick, nice video.

That answers my question plus how to mount the chuck properly which I was not sure on.

20/12/2015 20:24:20

Hi,

New to the world of D1 chucks - actually they are very strange but safe I'm told for reversing when mounted properly.

I was wondering if its okay for the D1-3 pins to be loose ? By that what I mean is they turn about 5 degrees and ever so slightly rock. There is a hexagonal bolt next to each.

Yet I have another small D1-3 3 jaw chuck were they do not rock or turn. So now I'm not sure about anything. Please help.

Thread: lathe chuck key hex
18/12/2015 20:56:11
Posted by Chris Evans 6 on 18/12/2015 20:52:56:

If you are close enough to me I will make you one. No charge.

That is very kind of you to offer. I'm Royston.

18/12/2015 18:44:11
Text removed by Moderator

I appreciate all the efforts of people suggesting to make one what I dont like is the tongue in cheek derision thats crept in.

In summary there are none available for purchase.

Edited By one pound on 18/12/2015 18:48:05

Edited By JasonB on 20/12/2015 10:10:45

18/12/2015 15:21:57
Posted by Tim Stevens on 18/12/2015 14:16:56:

If you have a socket set (of spanners) then you could add a 1/2 hex driver.

eg: **LINK**

Depending on where you are, this might come within your 'reasonable' definition.

But then, I would have thought a standard ordinary 1/2 hex Allen key was reasonable, too.

Regards, Tim

I'm using a Britool version of what you suggest at the moment.

18/12/2015 13:44:12
Posted by John Rudd on 18/12/2015 12:46:11:

Posted by one pound on 18/12/2015 11:59:36:

Posted by John Rudd on 18/12/2015 11:34:40:

I guess making one from a 1/2" hex af allen key is out of the question?

well its more that it adds value to the chucck by being complete rather than anything prcatical

So it could be made from anything, but needs to enhance the chuck and doesn't have to be practical but also needs to be cheap?

Sorry cant help....I'd have machined a hex section on the mill, cross drilled, fitted a tommy bar job done....

Why is what I said taken out of context?

" doesn't have to be practical " why would it not be practical, how would it work? I never said that.

"but needs to enhance the chuck " no key can enhance a chuck unless its imbued with magic

"needs to be cheap?" I said reasonable

Edited By one pound on 18/12/2015 13:45:00

18/12/2015 13:36:23

I wonder why I put a sourcing lathe chuck key when I could have posted a how to make one post

oh because I know how to make one. cheeky

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Sarik
emcomachinetools
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest