By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for RMA

Here is a list of all the postings RMA has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Centec 2a vertical head shaft bearings.
06/05/2021 08:03:09
Posted by Phil Matthews on 05/05/2021 20:29:28:

Hi

Thanks for your help Dave. I have managed to make a bit of progress today. Very carefully putting a tapered brass drift down the hole under the grease nipple moved the outer shell a bit, and then a couple of hours of making up some brass levers and using them etc got it out. For future reference, the bearing is a Timken, numbered 03062 on the inner race, 03162 on the outer. I think the front one is the same but I haven't cleaned the filthy grease off yet.

Better lighting revealed a second grub screw at a 9 o'clock position at the front, which allowed access to the front bearing. Just waiting for the parts now.

Is there a reason why Dewhurst switches aren't good at on/off?

You've done it now but it's not good practice to use a brass drift to knock out bearings. Any small bits of brass left from the drift and not removed completely will ruin your new bearings. Use steel as it's much less likely to chip and won't hurt a hardened bearing. This was a golden rule when I was an apprentice at British Timken.

Edited By RMA on 06/05/2021 08:10:12

Thread: Is this a new scam?
30/04/2021 22:38:06
Posted by not done it yet on 30/04/2021 21:52:19:
Posted by Bizibilder on 30/04/2021 18:11:20:

Yes Ebay are changing the way you have to manage the funds when you sell goods - It is not a scam - check your Ebay messages to find out the details. Whether you are prepared to give Ebay access to your bank account is an entirely personal choice dont know !

Apparently Paypal is still good for buying from Ebay.

BUT, how do you know that email is not a scam? Seems very much like it could be one, if asking for any personal details. If an email asks for any such details, it is a potential scam in my book. I only believe it if it arrives in my ebay messages.

Just check your messages on your ebay account. That' what I did because I thought it was a scam at first. The bank details they ask for are just for paying in so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thread: Bassett-Lowke
18/04/2021 20:42:38
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 16/04/2021 09:48:47:

What this revealed is that Bassett-Lowke was not a manufacturing concern but primarily a retailer of both other's products (including Marklin and Bing), and of ones it commissioned from a number of other companies.

In its early days it was particularly noted for waterline scale models of merchant and naval ships, evidently faithful enough for the Armed Services to use the larger scales for ship-recognition training. These were all made by contractors.

It raises an interesting question Wiki does not address. Who actually designed and built the live-steam locomotives, up to 15" gauge, sold under the Basset-Lowke name?

What is fact did B-L make?

'

BL did manufacture things. One of my older brothers worked there for a time after leaving the Northampton Technical College. They had a showroom in Kingswell Street, Northampton, and a workshop where my brother used to help make the steam locomotives. As a young boy I used to drool over the displays in their showroom. I haven't lived in Northampton for many years and I think the location has long since disappeared.

Unfortunately a lot of brand names have been bought and used for products which bear little resemblance to the original.

Thread: Club Constitution
11/04/2021 08:47:59
Posted by Brian Pritchard on 10/04/2021 10:04:13:

I am engaged in applying for a Covid 19 grant for our Club. I have been told that they require Dissolution and Asset Lock in our constitution. We don't have a mention of this. Can anybody advise me as to what their club has in their constitution or correct wording .

Thanks

Brian

There seems to be several Covid grants available, can you please say which grant you're applying for? Thanks

Thread: Electric Smart Meters
01/04/2021 10:07:33

I just had an email, in a rather authoritarian tone, from my supplier requesting an appointment be made to fit smart meters. I promptly replied with my refusal and reasons for that decision, and they instantly came back and said that's fine. The simple answer is, you don't have to have them, not in the UK anyway!

The decision to go down this route, with unattainable deadlines was made by 'not so smart' politicians. If anyone can give me a sound reason for the consumer having one, I'd be pleased to hear it.

They were fitted to every household a couple of years back in Spain (in an amazing short time span), by order of the government and I have no idea what benefit I get from it. It has no effect on the extortionate standing charge and tax element to the bill! It only benefits the company supplying the electricity by reading meters remotely.

Every property is already fitted with a smart meter alternative, it's called a switch!

Thread: Kingscale 5" models
27/03/2021 11:34:28

As a customer of Kingscale I would like to say that their approach to business, customer support and contact is second to none! I wish all companies were the same.

IanT is right, they do use 3D CAD, Solidworks from memory and they have sent me the details that I requested, which were for information really and not for me to make components. I wouldn't expect them to supply a complete set of drawings!

Anyone thinking of buying from them shouldn't hesitate as each model is made in short batches. The detail is quite spectacular and to try and make anything similar in your own workshop would take forever.

27/03/2021 09:47:07
Posted by Philip Durrell on 13/02/2021 12:41:28:

Hi there all. There doesn't appear to be much going on re the Kingscale 5 inch loco's on this site but I feel it deserves to be updated. I recently took delivery of one of their 5 inch gauge Black 5's and after a while in store ran one of the tank engines they produced. This was an exercise for the boilier inspector at our club before he went through the hydralic tests. The engines were excellent. They ran very very well once a couple of small issues were sorted (sticking cylinder cocks, stiff hand pump etc). The standard on the new engines is a lot, lot better and I would not say there was anything to say about them other than they are very good indeed. For the price and what you get excellent. I am happy to share any experiences with them.

Hi. I sent you 2 pm's last month which you haven't picked up. If you read this can you have a look and reply? Many thanks

Thread: New car - or is it a wheeled computer?
26/03/2021 15:25:16
Posted by Journeyman on 26/03/2021 14:21:42:

A digital toaster simply makes toast either uncooked or charcoal ie. 0 or 1

John

How true! Mine should have come with a chimney......loads of smoke rising from my teacake!

26/03/2021 14:07:09

As I said before it's all very confusing. My car club has lobbied MP's, many of whom run classic cars, and they are assured the fuel will be available.....but where and what cost is never mentioned.

I run my old sports car on Esso Supreme and this is a quote from Esso

“Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+ 99 is actually ethanol free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area, Scotland and NW England)."

This is fine unless you want to do much touring!

Getting back to the OP's rant. It seems we're stuck with what the manufacturers want us to have. Some technology emerges as a result of fulfilling a need, some emerges first and a use for it found afterwards. I have a fairly recent BMW with all the options and I find many of them useful, those that I don't, I simply don't use. My son has a new BMW M350 X-drive with all the bits and pieces, a cockpit that puts an airliner to shame. Again, he doesn't use all of them and I doubt he knows all of them anyway, but it's a great piece of engineering.

The problem I have with it is the voice recognition. If you happen to say BMW in any sentence this well mannered lady asks if she can help me....to date she hasn't met any of my requests!!

It isn't just cars though, why does everything have to be described as 'digital' these days....can someone explain what a digital toaster is?

26/03/2021 12:55:19
Posted by Robert Atkinson 2 on 26/03/2021 12:51:06:
Posted by RMA on 26/03/2021 11:53:06:
Posted by john halfpenny on 26/03/2021 11:20:43:

Pre-2000 cars will run ok, but may benefit from adjustments to ignition timing and replacement of some rubber components.

Yes, high ethanol content will attract water but it can wreck a lot of components in an older car, which on a classic can cost a fortune to replace. 10% ethanol will become the norm soon (EU pressure I think) but we are assured that ethanol free fuel will still be provided and fuel suppliers have said they will provide a certain amount of pumps around the country (UK). I do use it in one of my cars and ignore the high cost as the miles per year are very low.

Typically in this country confusion reigns! All pumps have to display at least 5% ethanol even if the fuel coming out of the spout is ethanol free. If, like me you need to use it, get in touch with the supplier for the location of the pumps because from experience, staff at the filling stations haven't got a clue!

It's easy to check the amount of alcohol in petrol, all you need is a measuring cylinder. Put some petrol in an note the volume. Add at least 1/3 more water, shake well and let it settle. If there is alcohol in the fuel the fuel volume will go down as the alcohol dissolves in the water (water volume will increase). The % volume reduction equals the alcohol content.
High alcohol also makes vapour lock more likely. This can affect early fuel injected cars causing poor starting after a hot soak.

Robert G8RPI.

Interesting, but I don't think the forecourt attendant would think much of that! Too late when you've already filled up. Clear messaging and labeling should be the answer.

26/03/2021 11:53:06
Posted by john halfpenny on 26/03/2021 11:20:43:

Pre-2000 cars will run ok, but may benefit from adjustments to ignition timing and replacement of some rubber components.

Yes, high ethanol content will attract water but it can wreck a lot of components in an older car, which on a classic can cost a fortune to replace. 10% ethanol will become the norm soon (EU pressure I think) but we are assured that ethanol free fuel will still be provided and fuel suppliers have said they will provide a certain amount of pumps around the country (UK). I do use it in one of my cars and ignore the high cost as the miles per year are very low.

Typically in this country confusion reigns! All pumps have to display at least 5% ethanol even if the fuel coming out of the spout is ethanol free. If, like me you need to use it, get in touch with the supplier for the location of the pumps because from experience, staff at the filling stations haven't got a clue!

26/03/2021 10:23:11
Posted by Matt Harrington on 26/03/2021 10:06:11:

And, of course, Kiwi Bloke, you try getting a manual for all that gadgetry! Let alone trying to repair it. I do find it peculiar that you can't press a button and switch those 'enhancements' (!) off.

I suppose all of this technology is the precursor to driverless cars - god help us!

Matt

A lot of cars do give you that opportunity to disable them. Some of them come back on by default when you restart, so you have to be aware of that. BMW's were slagged off earlier in this thread, but they have some great technology which is usually later copied by other manufacturers, you can it use or not, that is your choice. Unfortunately as with all cars, you don't get much choice when buying it, the packages are cleverly put together to suit the revenue flow. All that aside there are still some great cars around today designed for a 'driver' who likes to drive. One day, probably sooner than we realise, that will no longer be an option. Rent an electric scooter maybe?

Someone mentioned speed limiters earlier and I agree at normal speeds could be dangerous, I believe it can be overridden though at the moment. I have a car which limits it to 155mph, needless to say I haven't tried it!

26/03/2021 09:40:07

Very interesting topic Kiwi Bloke and very true!

During the last twenty years or so we have seen a rapid evolution of cars. I can remember my parents old Ford with only one rear light, it took a long time to progress to something better, and about 50 years before heaters became standard! Nowadays electronics move so rapidly it's difficult to keep up with them, but in my opinion, it's all heading towards the driverless car whether we like it or not. The same goes for which method of propulsion we have. The consumer will have very little say in it! The problem is, in a crowded world, something has to change.

I note it didn't take long for the usual BMW quotes to arrive!

Thread: THUMBS
25/01/2021 11:28:49
Posted by mgnbuk on 25/01/2021 08:14:47:

I

I have used elasticated supports to good advantage. The ones I use are an elasticated half glove with a gel pad sewn in that puts light pressure on the bottom thumb joint - £3 or £4 from Ebay. The hospital gave me one that velcros on, but that is more intrusive to wear. Otherwise, industrial quantities of Ibuprofen gel applied to the affected area can also help a bit.

Would it be possible to send a link/photo or anything visual of the product you found? I've been looking, having rejected the NHS ones for the same reason. There are so many types available and it would be good to have a recommended one. Thank you

Thread: Bearing identification
27/11/2020 21:20:40
Posted by Kiwi Bloke on 26/11/2020 08:53:37:

Has anyone got access to more detailed bearing specs than seems to be readily available off the 'net? I'm going slowly nuts trying to discover whether there is any difference between single-row, deep groove bearings type 99502H and 1623 2RS. They appear to be dimensionally identical (5/8" X 1 3/8" X 7/16" . 99502H appears in various sources to be a 'special agricultural bearing', but why, or how, it's 'special' isn't stated. Published material spec. seems similar, although 99502H seems to be made of Unobtainium here in NZ. Detailed seal design doesn't appear to be standardised across manufacturers. One might expect an ag bearing to have better muck-excluding seals, but is that the case? I'm faced with having to replace a couple of 99502H which have failed as a result of dust ingress (ultra-fine loess clay dust), so seal performance is important.

Is this a case of manufacturers promoting illusory differences, or are there real differences - and, if so, what? If the bearings are in fact the same, why the different identification codes?

[edited to remove stupid winking face thingy - when will this bug be fixed?]

Edited By Kiwi Bloke on 26/11/2020 08:55:07

I can't help you with the specs of the bearings, but it would appear that the premature failure is due to poor seals and I would suggest putting an additional seal to prevent the dust getting to the normal seal. A seal to protect a seal in effect.

Many years ago when I worked for Timken Bearings we specified metal seals which cut into the edge of the bearing. I can't remember the trade name now but they were very thin, so didn't take up much room in the assembly. They proved very effective in hostile environments.

Having done a quick search I found Nilos rings, which appear to do the same thing. I hope that has been of some help.

Thread: Parkside (Lidl) Cordless Angle Grinder
25/09/2020 09:49:33

I've never had a problem with the Lidl warranty whatever length the product carried. I always email Lidl customer service and they have contacted the supplier direct on my behalf and a replacement is sent. The 3 year warranty is what it says and replacements are in my experience always sent direct from the manufacturer and they've never asked for the original item to be returned. Too expensive to make it worthwhile I guess.

Products are in the main of Chinese origin, but the supplier, who offers the warranty is German.

Thread: Black 5 missing parts
24/09/2020 09:39:36

It looks as though from the photo, you're only missing the vacuum pipe and front coupling. The vacuum stand and pipe are easily made. I couldn't find any commercial ones when I looked a while ago, and you can buy the correct coupling from Bruce Engineering (maybe others as well). The rear coupling has been made for connecting a trolley so you don't need a scale one, unless you're only displaying the model.

As said before, you only need four lamps and these are available commercially. Look up head codes on the internet and you'll see where they go.

Hope that helps

Thread: Covid causing mental health issues.
24/09/2020 09:24:49
Posted by Sam Longley 1 on 22/09/2020 21:42:21:

Imagine laying in bed on a thursday evening wondering how you are going to pay the staff on friday morning when you have just been told by the bank that they are going to call in the overdraft & reposess your house which you have used as guarantee against the loan.

Must be even worse if you throw in some covid for luck. Regardless of what you are told about loan holidays , the interest is rising & the loans still have to be paid- eventually. So it is not all about those with low IQ.

Then add in a bit of marital unrest & you have a pending suicide on the cards, I bet

Imagine being a wife locked in a 3 room flat, day after day, with some barsteward who wants to bash the life out of her, just because she says the wrong thing, or because the kids play up a bit.

I would have thought mental health issues will be VERY high on some people's agenda.

Well said.

Mental health problems are as individual as people. The original poster is, by his own admission, happy with his lot and clearly the Covid situation hasn't affected his lifestyle and I hope that continues, but many people are affected in various ways by this year's events, some very seriously.

The thread/conversation has as always, diverted 'off track' and I don't understand what IQ has to do with mental health. Where did that come from? Some of the greatest brains around have suffered from mental health, depression isn't selective!

Thread: BT
14/08/2020 10:58:14

I have found with all utilities I can get deals on my terms if I tell them I'm leaving. BT always gets a bashing, and a few comments on here refer to individual assessment of the company, and of course everyone is entitled to their opinion.

However some research into the facts might be a good idea. The company might not have been the best when it was Nationalised, and it did have a monopoly (except for Hull), prior to Thatcher's intervention! I remember when goodwill and customer service was a priority. Unfortunately Thatcherism was all about making a profit and to hell with anything else. PO telephones became BT via a few name changes, a private company with many government strings attached. For example, the 'phone box network had to be kept and maintained by BT after privatisation, a massive loss for the company, and proved when Mercury was set up thinking it would be a money spinner.....how long did that last? The BT infrastructure also had to be made available to any new kid on the block.

The communications industry in this country is not straight forward nowadays, most new companies are foreign owned and OFCOM is pretty pathetic. From my experience it's best to shop around as soon as an increase is announced by your current supplier, it's surprising how good a deal you can get!

Edited By RMA on 14/08/2020 10:59:09

Thread: Clubs during crisis
19/05/2020 13:56:13

Thanks for the link. It didn't come up when I did a search initially. My post can now be cancelled rather than duplicate.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
walker midge
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
JD Metals
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest