By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for RMA

Here is a list of all the postings RMA has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Not enoughh CO2 ?
27/09/2021 10:31:13
Posted by Oven Man on 21/09/2021 09:09:41:

Looks like wev'e run out of wind recently as well. When are we going to realise that the most reliable source of renewable energy is tidal power. I am not anti wind power but I do consider it to be only an interim solution to our energy "problems".

Peter

Agree with tidal power, but I guess it's not considered because none of the politicians have any financial interest in it!

Wind power is a joke, but creating wealth for a few!

Until the world accepts it's vastly overpopulated, the demand for everything will perpetuate all these problems and no doubt cause other's in the future. Tackle the cause, stop tinkering with the effects.....some hope of that?

Edited By RMA on 27/09/2021 10:31:35

Thread: They see you coming
10/09/2021 20:53:29

Spare bulbs are no longer mandatory in France, and it would be a bit impractical with some modern LED lamp clusters, to change them at the roadside.

Thread: Lathe Vertical Milling Slide
10/09/2021 08:11:36
Posted by William Harvey 1 on 09/09/2021 22:02:10:

I am looking for a vertical milling slide that I can use with my Warco WM180. I know I’ll need to make an adaptor plate to fit it.

This has popped up locally but appears to be missing the base? I have asked for some more photos, but I’m looking for your expert advice.

Pic 1​​

I've sent a PM

Thread: They see you coming
09/09/2021 18:02:24
Posted by Nicholas Wheeler 1 on 09/09/2021 17:33:41:
Posted by Tony Pratt 1 on 09/09/2021 14:56:52:
Posted by RMA on 09/09/2021 14:47:16:
Posted by Mike Hurley on 09/09/2021 10:01:10:

These are being phased out on the continent and will soon be illegal in Spain. The new compulsory warning is a magnetic flashing beacon to stick on the roof. It comes in two options, one of which has a GPS relay system in it. Far too many people were getting killed putting out the triangles ( two were required by law)!

Jeez, people were getting killed putting out warning triangles to stop them getting killed, you truly couldn't make some of this stuff up.crying

That's why I think the 100m distance is far too much.

The flashing beacon is one of those making the solution worse: a triangle will still work adequately if slightly damaged, and has no batteries to leak or run down. Its benefits are a worthwhile improvement over the minor disadvantages.

Minor disadvantages??? What planet are you on. I've driven on thousands of miles of fast European roads and I wouldn't want to risk even trying to get the triangles (2 remember) out of the back of the car and walk the recommended distance to place them. HGV's travel at 100kph at least over here (I followed many cruising at 120kph last week), one of those going by you will create a serious amount of suction. 130kmh is common on many autoroutes and a lot of drivers exceed this! I don't think I would want to risk it on the M25 either. The injury and death rates speak for themselves.

Way back in the old days, triangles were very useful on the mountain passes (no tunnels etc in those days). If you saw a triangle approaching a hairpin bend, you knew there would be something on the exit side.

The GPS technology with the beacon is something to be welcomed. The rescue service, certainly in Spain, is fantastic with fast cars and helicopters all at the disposal of the Traffico and any technology to speed things up and save lives gets my support.

09/09/2021 15:28:45

**LINK**

This explains the detail. Useful to know in advance of travel.

09/09/2021 15:19:02
Posted by Tony Pratt 1 on 09/09/2021 14:56:52:
Posted by RMA on 09/09/2021 14:47:16:

These are being phased out on the continent and will soon be illegal in Spain. The new compulsory warning is a magnetic flashing beacon to stick on the roof. It comes in two options, one of which has a GPS relay system in it. Far too many people were getting killed putting out the triangles ( two were required by law)!

Jeez, people were getting killed putting out warning triangles to stop them getting killed, you truly couldn't make some of this stuff up.crying

Tony

Fortunately I've never had to use mine, but the thought of walking back along a Spanish Autovia makes me shudder. The stats are there, and the numbers killed on bank holidays on the continent are beyond belief. The local TV news reports show all the 'morts' gore and all. I have noticed a calming down over the years, but there are still the maniacs around as my dashcam would prove.

Reading this thread I've just remembered I forgot to put my second triangle in the car!!! God help me if the Guardia Traffico catch me!

That's another thing, I've never bought a car with two triangles in, and if you hire a car DO NOT take it away unless it has triangles and enough Hi Vis vests for each passenger in the car! The fines are horrific and have to be paid 'on the spot'!

09/09/2021 14:47:16

I believe warning triangles are mandatory in many countries, you can be fined for not carrying one. My new VW has a special cutout in the rear door (hatchback) to hold one.

Personally I always thought they were a bit pointless as they seem so small and flimsy most drivers would probably run over them and not notice unless they were only doing 5 mph.

Thread: RAF to give up flying planes.
08/09/2021 21:25:32
Posted by Bazyle on 07/09/2021 16:11:05:

Nobody yet mentioned the saving in fuel and greenhouse gas production. Hopefully sometime soon they will wake up to the negative effects of the massively antisocial hobby of private light aircraft flying.

This is a bit off the main thread, but I would like to know why you think private flying is anti-social, and how do you measure and compare anti-social behaviour.

Thread: What are the potential hazards of using E10 fuel on classic car seals
03/09/2021 07:30:03
Posted by LADmachining on 02/09/2021 17:07:26:

Esso Synergy Supreme+ 99 is ethanol free in certain areas of the country, although the pumps are still marked up E5.

More info: Esso Fuels

Yes, I put this on another thread a while back, but don't rely on the forecourt staff to help you. All pumps had to be badged E5 whether the fuel contained ethanol or not (EU directive). Go direct to Esso and ask for the location of the stations that actually sell it, but they are thin on the ground.

I put up with the price of this fuel as I don't drive my classic very much, but I'm afraid this change is just another example of government interfering in something they know nothing about (remember Diesel?).

If you do use E10, be warned if you leave your vehicle for any length of time, as the ethanol will attract water which could cause corrosion in the fuel system, even on some 'modern' cars.

Thread: Something to spend your pocket money on
28/08/2021 10:05:51

Always a great auction to have a look around as they only tend to accept the best. Unfortunately it's only online again. From my experience prices are always high at the hammer, and don't forget the buyer's premium (25% + taxes)!!

Thread: 5" 57XX PANSY BOILER MANUFACTURER?
22/08/2021 11:18:22

Bishop Ellis I would think. I have a couple of their boilers and they are well made. Do you have any paperwork with it,you might be able to trace the history.

Thread: How the crisis in container ships could ruin Christmas
22/08/2021 09:10:55
Posted by Pete. on 22/08/2021 01:15:19:
Posted by Ady1 on 22/08/2021 01:02:07:

We buy too much junk we don't need anyway so the more expensive it is the better

A big chunk of those chinese emissions is making useless junk purchased by us

I have to agree with this, raising the cost of cheap goods that have a very low life span can only be good for the environment.

It does beg the question, if the Chinese economy did actually replace the USA as the world's leading economy, will they finally loose the 'developing nation' status that allows the cheap shipping of goods?

Have you tried shipping from China....certainly not cheap!

Thread: Full size steam train goes off cliff for entertainment
21/08/2021 12:07:43

Not real at all.

**LINK**

Another rail mag I've read describes the Diesel power in the tender. Good effort though, I wonder how many seconds of footage it gets.

21/08/2021 11:42:41
Posted by Rob McSweeney on 21/08/2021 11:27:44:
Posted by RMA on 21/08/2021 10:38:34:
Posted by vic newey on 21/08/2021 10:33:38:

Initially my reaction. I couldn't reconise it as a 'proper' loco and after investigation , it appears it's a mock up and not powered by steam at all.

Look at how the running boards are inclined upwards and meet the boiler cladding.

Yes I know, I was initially stumped to ident it. It was based around a Britannia, and there is a resemblance. It was powered by a Diesel engine located in the tender.

21/08/2021 10:38:34
Posted by vic newey on 21/08/2021 10:33:38:

More photo's here, Preparations for train stunt another link mentions that the train will fall into a water pit. I can imagine many steam enthusiasts being angry if the engine is destroyed

Initially my reaction. I couldn't reconise it as a 'proper' loco and after investigation , it appears it's a mock up and not powered by steam at all.

Thread: EV Charging Hacks
04/08/2021 08:25:16

I don't have an electric vehicle and not keen on getting one. In normal circumstances (pre Covid) they would not give me the range or flexibility of my Cat 6 diesel powered car with extremely low emissions!

Having to leave your vehicle overnight at the railway station to charge up and walk home...really?

Reading through the posts on this thread (and others referring to charging problems) it seems to me that it's another political must have deadline to do away with IC power and replace with EV and then, usually decades later to put in the necessary infrastructure! It won't be long before they start taxing these vehicles to pay for the extra power stations and distribution.

Very similar to the target to fill the country with new housing and warehousing without building the road structure to cope with all the extra traffic!

Progress??

Thread: E10 Petrol
22/07/2021 08:03:43

The switch, or rather evolution to adding ethanol to fuel has been going on a long time and the increase to 10% was announced last year. (no doubt this will increase until, together with price increases, will force IC cars off the road. Classic car clubs and a few politicians have been campaigning to keep some ethanol free petrol available, and the government has given that assurance.

It is available around the UK but you have to research where to find it. I use Esso Supreme 99 for my classic, and there's only one pump available in my town. This isn't helped by the government insisting that ALL pumps should carry the 5 or 10% sticker on them, and forecourt staff haven't a clue what they sell. I went direct to Esso to get a UK map of availability, but this will change over time I guess.

Edited By JasonB on 22/07/2021 10:00:41

Thread: More security for the shed
10/07/2021 10:29:33

This thread covers a very important subject but it's probably not a good idea to go into detail about your own security! This is the internet and this forum is open......thieves these days don't go round in a striped shirt carrying a jemmy any more, they are very tech savy nowadays and can find out where you live and what you've got.

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
25/06/2021 18:59:36
Posted by martin perman on 25/06/2021 16:12:21:

the only two "likely" to return to flight are at Bruntingthorpe, one has its engines and other parts removed, the other one is able to run up its engines but word is the only way they will leave Bruntithorpe is on trucks particularly as the owner of the site is reclaiming the use of the runway for storage.

None of the vintage aviation press have mentioned any attempt to put one back in the sky.

Martin P

Russian copy maybe?

Thread: Appropriate grease for milling Spindle
20/06/2021 10:31:39

I agree, always best to follow the manufacturers recommendations but in this case the OP doesn't have a manual. He does say it's an old British make but doesn't give the maker of the bearings. If they are Timken, my advice is as I mentioned above. I served my time there and spent a while as a tech rep for them. We advised all manufacturers/customers as to lubrication matters depending on the application.

Lots of fancy products have emerged over the years but sometimes you just can't beat the basics. Regular servicing is paramount to anything of course.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
walker midge
emcomachinetools
Warco
Dreweatts
JD Metals
rapid Direct
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest