By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for RMA

Here is a list of all the postings RMA has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: MR16 LED Spot lights
19/12/2019 11:46:52

Very timely thread as I'm considering changing the bulb in my original Centec lamp. The lamp itself is of a very sturdy metal construction as you'd expect from Centec, and I'd like to retain it.

Can the electrical experts on here point me in the direction of a reasonably priced low voltage conversion solution? Thanks in advance.

Thread: Foundries
11/12/2019 09:30:46

www.owlcastings.co.uk

www.hadleighcastings.com

These two would be worth looking at.

Thread: Why mostly manual cars in UK
07/12/2019 19:56:53
Posted by Vic on 07/12/2019 16:21:14:

“Sealed for life”, “Parts not available”, “£100 a litre for oil” ... All sound like good reasons to choose a manual unless you buy a new car every few years.

All main dealer hype I'm afraid and simply not true. With most auto boxes you can drop the sump, change the filter and refill with fresh fluid quite easily. Main dealers don't seem to employ engineers anymore, even service reception at my main dealership is 'manned' by young girls who haven't a clue about cars. They always say leave the car for a day even for the simplest thing. It's all geared up to selling complete units and preferably a new car!

07/12/2019 12:50:52

Maybe if it's got the Jaguar logo on it. For my 22 year old XK8 I can get full spec fluid for around £10 per litre. The problem is getting the old stuff out! Fortunately several Jag forum members have sussed it and put the process on the forum. It will be a while before mine wants changing for the mileage, but I might change it because of age.

07/12/2019 12:17:07

I'd still change it if it's physically possible. I know Volvo made things difficult when Ford took over.....not sure how they are now under new ownership, perhaps they now have a dipstick again? Car makers don't produce the oil, I'd rather take notice of what the oil people recommend!

07/12/2019 12:03:11
Posted by mgnbuk on 07/12/2019 10:46:54:

I’d hate to see the repair bill for a modern auto box though.

I had requested (twice) that they change the gearbox oil, but on each occasion the dealer (who had quoted a price to do this) subsequently declined, saying that Toyota said the gearbox was "sealed for life" & didn't require an oil change.

Nigel B

This is pretty common with main agents these days, they would rather make more from a new box than a few litres of oil. A good independent would have done it for you, good oil is key in all things and extremely important in auto boxes. 60K is the usual change time for most makes I've had/got.

Thread: Arc euro micro drill adaptor
07/12/2019 11:52:51

Thanks for the pointers Jason, it's a job I'm not really looking forward to. I have a Centec 2A with the quill head and everything on that seems healthy. Might practice on some scrap when I get a chance. Of course Murphy's law will then operate.....

07/12/2019 10:44:57
Posted by Vic on 07/12/2019 10:03:29:

On at least two occasions in years gone past I’ve had to drive a manual with a broken clutch cable. It’s quite exciting starting the car in gear in traffic and adjusting engine speed to change gear without the clutch.

There’s not a lot to go wrong in a manual gearbox. I’d hate to see the repair bill for a modern auto box though.

Statistically auto boxes are extremely reliable....no human being to crash the gears or ride the clutch etc! Same with any gearbox, if they're serviced correctly they go on and on. Repair costs would be about the same as any gearbox. It's labour costs these days and some hourly rates are horrific!

07/12/2019 06:54:14

I take your point but this thread is primarily a debate about pro's and con's of automatic gearboxes versus manual. The difference in cost has reduced massively in percentage terms compared to many other extra packages available today.

Thread: Arc euro micro drill adaptor
06/12/2019 21:00:14

I've not seen these before. I have some small holes to drill and tap in bronze cylinders to fit the cladding on, would anyone advise using this bit of kit for that job? Thanks in advance

06/12/2019 20:32:47

Discussions about cars are always the same so it's best to maintain a sense of humour. You get the 'experts' who've never had an automatic tearing them apart. You get people who have tried them many year's ago and preferred a manual, and you get owners of modern automatics singing their praises.

I've owned many automatics since the '60's and definitely know which I prefer. I've towed boats and a caravan and never experienced the problems other's have mentioned here. Rover 3500 pulling a boat up a wet slipway....no problem. 2.9 and 3 litre Granadas towing a caravan on many difficult camp sites.....no problem, and the modern 8 speed sport auto box which I have now really does behave itself in snow (not that we get much nowadays).

Modern boxes learn your style of driving and select the optimum gear for the right condition. Mine also works with the sat nav and selects the right ratio before entering a corner. With 8 to choose from the change is usually quite undetectable.

Modern roads are so cluttered with umpteen signs, heavy traffic, pedestrians and cyclists....auto boxes really do reduce the workload and make life so much easier! For those who have never driven one I highly recommend a trial. But there are always those who resist any change, maybe they still use a starting handle?

Edited By RMA on 06/12/2019 20:34:00

05/12/2019 14:32:14

Driverless cars? Well the car could take the wife shopping while we stay in the workshop!

05/12/2019 14:29:31
Posted by Martin Connelly on 05/12/2019 11:30:02:

Foot on the brake auto drivers do it in modern cars because it stops the engine and restarts it when you ease off the brake. Putting it into neutral or park does not do this, it may stop the engine and then you have to restart it using the key for which you have to press the brake pedal anyway. This delays starting and results in brain dead drivers behind you blasting their horns and putting their main beam on because you haven't moved the instant the lights change and because your brake lights come on when they think you should have just driven off. There is also a delay moving from a fresh start as opposed to an automatic restart as the systems check and set themselves up. With an auto box without a torque converter holding still with the hand brake and the engine running may not trigger the clutch to go completely into neutral resulting in rapid wear of the clutch.

Martin C

Forgot to mention ABS. This does not work with engine braking.

Edited By Martin Connelly on 05/12/2019 11:31:50

Absolutely correct!

Instead of having ago at drivers using their automatic stop/start cars as designed, why not have a go at the car manufactures who year on year seem to add another row of rear lights/brake lights!

I was unfortunate to follow a new car of Eastern origin the other night on a crowded motorway. There were two rows of bright LED strips right across the car plus another row of high level brake lights. Volvo have put those ridiculous vertical rear arrays on the recent vehicles, and most manufacturers seem to compete as to how many bright LED running lights they can fit onto the front of a car! There is a thread on here about the world going mad, this subject would also fit that title.

Year's ago there were standard positions for lights on cars and lights were effective and fit for purpose. Ah well!!!

Thread: Soldering a tender
04/12/2019 16:01:48
Posted by Richard brown 1 on 04/12/2019 14:26:01:

When youve done it I will show you a great tool for cleaning up the joints on the outside.

Rich

Edited By Richard brown 1 on 04/12/2019 14:32:30

Would it be possible to post the details for all to see. Thanks

04/12/2019 15:57:38

Good question Alan. Personally I'm all for autos and the modern ones are a dream to drive....8 gears and the option of sequential manual if required. Fuel consumption excellent.......63+ per gallon on a run and high performance. Okay the car wasn't cheap, but on England's crowded roads (not exclusive to motorways) they really do come into their own.

I have arthritic knees so it's a relief not having the worry if at the next clutch depression my knee locks up!

I think the answer to your question is historic. Way back they were pretty exclusive and cars were in the main bought on price. Auto boxes were treated with suspicion and the torque converters of the day aided a higher fuel consumption.

I was sold on them many year's ago when a friend bought a new Triumph 2000 auto and he let me drive it......never looked back, although I do admit to buying a couple of high performance manual cars in between, but always went back to an auto. I've had many autos and only one mechanical problem in all those miles, which was a blown seal on a Rover 3500.

Thread: Loctite
12/11/2019 12:10:37

I've used really old Loctite. Best way if you're not sure is to try it on some scrap.

Thread: Soft Feel Finish on Radio
06/11/2019 17:10:49

Update to my original post as I've only just got around to tackling the problem.

I bought a litre of Isopropyl Alcohol (pure) off ebay and it worked a treat. Thanks to all those who recommended this.

Thread: injectors
04/11/2019 18:00:14

Yes, you do need a valve for the water.

Thread: new computer
04/11/2019 17:41:20

This is an interesting thread. I've had several computers over the years and the last two were/are laptops. You're lucky in some respect that you have actually been given a warning....I've never had that, usually instant failure. The last being when away in Spain for a while, so I had to resort to using my phone for everything. When I returned to the UK I bought another laptop, very high spec but unfortunately loaded with Win10!

I thought I'd try and see if the hard drive from the old one still worked, so I bought a slave housing off ebay and linked it up to my new laptop and hey ho....it worked, so nothing was lost. The new laptop has an SSD so less of a problem with hauling the laptop around on planes etc.

I find the above info from members both useful and a bit scary......you can't not power off a laptop to my knowledge, and I thought an SSD would be good for the life of the laptop. Oh well, nothing last forever......must get back to the habit of backing up each day!

Thread: Lathe chuck guards - how many folk use them?
04/11/2019 10:16:15
Posted by Russell Eberhardt on 04/11/2019 10:09:32:
Posted by RMA on 04/11/2019 09:19:57:

My lathe came with a chuck key fitted with a spring so it's impossible to leave it in the chuck.

Those things are all well and good as long as you have strength and flexibility in your hands and wrists. As one gets older and arthritis sets in they are as bad as child proof bottles for medicines!

Russell

Yes, I definitely agree with that and using the spring loaded one can be painful. I do have both types, but arthritis isn't the only condition I/we suffer when we get older.....short term memory is a common problem, and it's easy to forget the key is in the chuck. I guess the best solution is to take your time, and even a check list on the machine similar to the checks we do in aircraft, might not seem such a daft idea.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest