By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for mark smith 20

Here is a list of all the postings mark smith 20 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Fitting Metric Chuck and Fitting to Flexispeed
03/10/2015 11:49:26

Does short taper mean that it only fit the narrow end with the rest sticking out? If so could you not mouunt it between centres and indicate the taper with a dial on the compound slide and reduce the taper until it will fit with minimal overhang? Im only a learner with metal machining so if this is rubbish please say so.smiley

It should be easy enough to make a chuck back plate using the existing nose thread ,but that is only of use to one chuck.

Edited By mark smith 20 on 03/10/2015 11:50:34

03/10/2015 10:43:02

Does it have a number 0 morse taper? If so why dont you just use one of those o morse taper adapters with a 14mm thread on the end??? Sorry if it doesnt have the O taper as i thought they were similar to Perris lathes. I dont know how secure it would be though without a draw bar like on Pultra lathes.

Such as thishttp://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/14mm-x-1-Straight-Shank-Threaded-Arbour-1-2--Shank-66346444.html

Edited By mark smith 20 on 03/10/2015 10:47:42

Thread: South Bend / Boxford
02/10/2015 14:28:07

Thanks i will have to become a bit more confident with threading as im just learning to use a metal lathe,after years of doing wood turning. I have a fully functional South Bend 9A (see photo)that ive recently finished restoring , so have the capability to do what your suggesting (at least the machine is not sure about me). These worn half nuts are off another im restoring..p1250865.jpg

02/10/2015 13:35:34

half nuts.jpgHeres the half nuts on the south bend im restoring. On the right is the half nuts on another later south Bend which i have . They look very different , are they boxford or what???

Thanks

Edited By mark smith 20 on 02/10/2015 13:37:20

27/09/2015 12:25:38

I would certainly be interested if you come across any half nuts in decent shape. The pinion for the apron hand wheel looks trashed as well and im wondering if that is original as well. The pinion is tapered with wear ,the teeth are all worn and both the hole through the apron appears to have been bushed with brass (as is the pinion shaft)

I dont have a list of compatable parts , it was what i have been trying to find info on. Most places just say that some parts are compatable but nothing more specific.

Thread: Warco minimill OR SIEG Super X2 OR none of them ?
27/09/2015 00:17:13

It has been working without hiccups since i got it ,so i shouldnt worry about it, just thought a little strange.

27/09/2015 00:15:28

Glad to hear that the half nuts on the boxford are the same or similar. The ones that were on this lathe (a model A with power apron,crossfeed etc and quick change gear box.) I will try to post some photos . Can you upload straight from the computer or do they need to be on a image host ?

The reason i suspect the ones on mine may be boxford are that they look similar to the other south bend i have which is newer but the are more sharply cast and have remains of blue coloured paint or primer on them, they are usually just bare iron. South bend half nuts are probably difficult to find in the uk , so Boxford onesif they fit would be ideal.

The south bend ones do have an oil channel in the top nut

26/09/2015 19:37:01

Still a little confused as i though the HP resister would be marked 3/4 at 550 watts .

26/09/2015 19:21:52

Hi Thanks, it seems hard to find anything specific on the web about which parts are exactly compatable . Id rather try and buy some Boxford used half nuts (if i thought they would fit) here in the UK if possible than to pay daft prices on US ebay if i can help it. I just bought a Boxford thread dial off ebay and it fits the south bend great with just a little removed from the end of the bar that goes into the apron(it was hitting the saddle clamp inside the apron with the original length).

Mark

26/09/2015 14:28:24

HI Im new here. I have a South Bend 9 " model A lathe to restore. The half nuts are all worn and look a little different to another lathe i looked at. I know boxford did various models based on this lathe and wondered if the half nuts are Boxford made .Does anyone have a good photo of the Boxford half nuts and also anyone know if the boxford ones will fit the south bend without any adaption.

Thanks Mark

26/09/2015 14:22:27

I know this is an old thread but ive had the warco j12-300 version of the mini mill for several years ,ive not used it an awful lot but i now plan on using it a bit more regularly and im in the process of fitting the taper roller bearing to the spindle and redo the belt drive conversion i did years ago .(i did a quick coversion which looks pretty naff and i didnt put any belt adjustment on it.).

Well today when i looked in the control box for the first time. Its fitted with a KB electronics control board as some have previously mentioned(probably a KBIC as i have one in another machine). What i did notice is that the motor is supposedly 550watt. But the plug in horsepower resister on the board which most KB electronic board have is only rated at 1/4 -1/3 HP . Why???? Also the motor only has three leads which are coloured blue/brown /earth like a normal mains cable. So from this i deduce either wrongly or rightly thats its not a normal DC motor but a universal motor??? Is this right and why the low value HP resister.

I should explain that im not too savvy with electrics.

Thanks Marksmiley

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
cowells
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest