By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Georgineer

Here is a list of all the postings Georgineer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: The Old One - Broken Tap Removal?
01/12/2020 11:18:43

Posted by Anthony Knights on 01/12/2020 10:42:30:

... I knew that the tap I had bought was carbon steel. ( does that make me prudent or a cheapskate?). ...

I can't answer that one for you, but I do know that my late brother, who had his own commercial model-making business, used carbon steel taps for preference (down to 10 BA) because they kept their edge longer. That was the voice of long experience speaking.

George B.

Thread: Tap and Die Puzzle
30/11/2020 12:36:28

Thank you all for your input. The likeliest answer seems to be that they are Systeme Française threads, though I am completely at a loss to explain why they would be included in a modern tap and die set aimed at the UK/US market.

Jacques, can you say how much the System Française is still used, say in French cars? I presume that is is obsolete in new designs like the British and Unified threads which have gradually been phased out in industry since about the 1970s, but are still widely used by restorers and old fogeys.

George B.

29/11/2020 18:35:14

I have inherited a Sealey "Professional Tap & Die Set 40pc Metric, Model No. AK3012" which contains taps and dies for the common threads from M3 to M12. It also contains some less common metric fine threads from M6 to M12, and the ubiquitous 1/8" NPT.

However, I am completely stumped by three of the threads, viz:

• M3 x 0.6
  • M4 x 0.75
  • M5 x 0.9

My first thought was that they might be M3.5, M4.5 and M5.5 (if there is such a beast) mislabelled, but measuring them shows that the diameters given are correct. The pitches are all coarser than the standard threads

I have searched my technical reference books and the interwebs without avail. Has anybody come across these threads, or have any idea what they would be used for?

George B.

Edited By Georgineer on 29/11/2020 18:35:31

Thread: Soldering Iron Tip
27/11/2020 14:50:21
Posted by Peter Howell 1 on 27/11/2020 11:37:31:

Thanks guys. I'll file it for now and order a new tip.

Those old school gas heated irons were well used (and abused !) I remember they used to look like a miniuture axe. I guess modern kids wouldn't have any idea what they were. ...

You speak the truth, Peter. There's a Reddit forum called "What is this thing" and old -fashioned soldering irons turn up quite regularly, along with a lot of other things I regard as everyday items.

George B.

Thread: What am I?
25/11/2020 11:57:23
Posted by mechman48 on 24/11/2020 23:12:59:

... back in my youth all [nurses] needed to be was SEN & SRN.

I married an SRN. It was the 15 foot rubber skirt that attracted me.

My father achieved high engineering office and Fellowship of the IEE with an HNC and a couple of endorsements. During my time, those running the IEE pulled the ladder up behind them so that eventually you couldn't get in with less than an honours degree, an interview and a written dissertation. I never bothered.

I agree with everything that has been said in this thread. Everything. It's a complicated issue, and we're no nearer to an answer than we ever were.

George B.

Thread: BANG!
23/11/2020 23:57:34

Photos or it didn't happen!

bangy!.jpg

It was my favourite screwdriver too.

George B.

Thread: Basic Maths: A Lost Art
21/11/2020 16:18:04

Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 21/11/2020 13:58:52:

... poor education system, it can't tell what Nigel and Dave aged 14 are going to do in later life. Anything between Wastrel and Nobel Prize Winner! ...

No known Nobel Prize winners in my ex-pupils, but plenty of wastrels judging by the court reports in the local paper. Such others as I know of have generally turned out OK, and one actually apologised for being such an ******** in school!

Some outcomes one simply can't foresee, like the murderer (and his murderee), both ex-pupils of mine, or the go-getting, award-winning Army Cadet of the Year, who killed himself by imbedding his sports car half way up a wall on his way back from home leave.

I think that overall they're probably just a cross-section of society, like we were.

And on the topic of pedants, I was thinking of having a T-shirt printed with PEDANT AND PROUD! across the chest, but was afraid of running into the local vigilantes who didn't pay attention in English lessons.

George B.

20/11/2020 16:22:31
Posted by J Hancock on 20/11/2020 12:46:25:

Here's one to impress your children.

The half times table, the easy way, only 'squared numbers' though.

1 1/2 x 1 1/2 = 2 1/4

Now in all cases subtract 1/2 from first number , add 1/2 to second number, multiply together and add 1/4.

So, 7 1/2 x 7 1/2 = 56 1/4 etc, etc.

The way I was taught, which amounts to the same thing, was:

• Take the integer part.
  • Multiply it by the next larger integer (as 1 x 2, 4 x 5, 97 x 98 etc.)
  • Add 1/4

I've also found it useful to convert to decimals, as:

• 1.5 x 1.5 = 2.25

Then it can be multiplied by factors of ten, as:

• 15 x 15 = 10 x 20 + 25 = 225
  • 150 x 150 = 22500

I acquired all sorts of dodges over the years, and it was very gratifying when teaching A-stream GCSE pupils to show that I could work out answers on the blackboard while they were still fumbling for their calculators.

George B.

20/11/2020 15:59:55
Posted by Martin Kyte on 20/11/2020 13:41:41:

5/4 of the population don't understand fractions.

:O)

Martin

That's an improper comment!

George B.

Thread: Strange Word...
16/11/2020 11:19:32
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 16/11/2020 08:38:21:

... I do wonder what if any English Language is now taught in schools. ...

Don't worry, Nigel, the answer is lots. I volunteer as a small-group literacy mentor with disadvantaged ten-year-olds, and their knowledge of English grammar is impressive.

It compares very well indeed with the situation when I took up secondary-school teaching in the early nineties. If I said to a class "Acid is the noun; acidic is the adjective" I was faced with blank incomprehension. By the time I retired from teaching a few years ago, I could say the same thing and be met with understanding. Now my disadvantaged ten-year-olds can tell me about adverbs and ellipsis. You've no need to worry.

Pet peeves? I shout at the television when people talk about carnage when there's no blood, and also when apparently intelligent and well-educated people talk of die-section rather than diss-section. By-section is fine; it 's all in the prefixes. Or pre-fixes.

Hobby horse rubbed down and returned to stable...

George B.

Thread: Cutting Small Discs out of Glass
15/11/2020 21:47:39

Thanks, Andy. More food for thought there!

George B.

15/11/2020 19:44:57

Thanks for the ideas so far. I hadn't thought of the watch glass route which I might follow, as they are available in 1.2 mm steps up to 50 mm.

If one needs a larger glass, however, there seems to be a much smaller range of diameters available in flat clock glasses.

Neil and Brian, I hadn't thought of rotating tubes and hole saws but I lack suitable tubes or saws, besides which any non-standard size would involve considerable work and possibly expense.

I'm still minded to try my approach, partly for the experience and partly to save money, since I already have double-sided tape and a glass cutter. So, does anybody have any suggestions they would like to offer? For instance, how much pressure should I impose on the glass with the cutter?

George B.

15/11/2020 16:10:54

The thread on cutting microscope slides has made interesting reading, and has prompted me to tackle a small project I've been putting off. I have a small meter with a broken glass of 46 mm diameter, and I want to make a new one. I have looked at the standard method of cutting glass circles using dividers with a rubber suction cup, but they are much too large. There are also various proprietary gadgets which cost money and look fiddly to use.

It occurs to me that it should be possible to mount a piece of glass to the lathe face plate with double-sided tape, or some other adhesive. Then an ordinary glass cutter could be mounted in the top slide and brought up until it touches the glass. A single turn of the chuck by hand should scribe the line, then the circle could be broken out in the ordinary way.

Would this work? Should I mount the glass on thin foam to give a little bit of give to maintain the pressure of the cutter? Is there an easier way? Any hints on how best to break the circle out after it's scribed?

I know one could do the job by mounting a grinding wheel on the toolpost, but that seems like more work and more mess, neither of which attracts me.

George B.

Thread: Strange Word...
15/11/2020 14:37:44
Posted by pgk pgk on 14/11/2020 15:12:11:

Hyphenate for clarity since it is a single sub-component...

Who remembers this terrible punctuation exercise: I was plagued by it at school...

James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher

I came across it at school in the early sixties, with different wording to the top and tail. One difference was that John wasn't called John but Galahad.

On the topic of hyphens, when I was writing Army Support Publications in the 1980s we were officially discouraged from using them except to avoid ambiguity. For example, there is a difference between a man eating tiger and a man-eating tiger, though I don't remember that particular instance cropping up in my own writing.

George B.

Thread: Pressure Gauge Repair
14/11/2020 12:58:48

Rather like climbing mountains, I suspect: "Because it's there".

George B.

Thread: Plans for updating the archaic forum?
10/11/2020 22:20:35

What Bazyle said.

George B.

( And I'm gradually learning to ignore the constant flickering down the right hand side of the screen.)

Thread: Old Die Stock
07/11/2020 16:03:24

Here are some relevant pages from S. Tyzack's catalogue of about 1908.

tyzack 1908 (1).jpgtyzack 1908 (2).jpg

Thread: The Raspberry Pi gets domesticated
02/11/2020 14:48:21

A friend of mine used a ZX81 to operate his heating system back in the eighties. He hit the pipes with it whenever there was an airlock.

George B.

Thread: LED Constant Current Source Scheme
30/10/2020 01:11:20

That's a clever bit of kit! I've saved myself a copy. Thanks, Michael.

George B.

Thread: For the latest in PC fashion! (Anyone here with a Master's Degree?)
28/10/2020 20:49:08

Gender neutral threads next, I should think. Can't have 'em male and female.

George B.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest