By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Georgineer

Here is a list of all the postings Georgineer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: strange power socket
15/08/2019 21:41:24
Posted by Mike Poole on 15/08/2019 09:53:28:

... The other crazy thing in the factory was the use of red for the earth cable ...

This was, and may still be, a US practice. In the 1960s my father bought a US-made 8 mm film editor and was puzzled to find that the mains lead conductors were white, black and red. When he checked, he found that the switch was in the white lead and the metal case was connected to the red. He changed the mains lead to make sure that nobody ever got caught out. (I still have it, and it has never caught me out!)

George

Thread: Blown Fuse
14/08/2019 14:43:02

One possibility occurs to me which I haven't seen mentioned. Are there any mains conductors with chafed insulation, possibly at entries or corners? If the insulation finally wore through - vibration could cause this - and the conductor made contact with earthed metal, it would give a big spark, and could very easily burn itself clear, for a while at least. I cannot explain the spark at the tool point, however.

George

Thread: Grid Frequency [mains electricity]
13/08/2019 18:08:34
Posted by old mart on 13/08/2019 16:35:23:

Seems like my old boss must have monkeyed with his clock to get it running backwards after all.

Not necessarily. Early mains clocks had no ratchet mechanism and had to be started by spinning a small shaft by hand. If you spun it the wrong way, the clock ran backwards. I have an old clock movement of this type which belonged to my late father.

The tower clock of St Mary's Church in Portsmouth made news headlines some years ago when this happened. I wasn't in charge of it at that time, I hasten to add; that came later. The chimes, which were operated by mercury tilt switches, would have continued in the correct sequence but sounded at not-the-quarter and not-the-hour!

George

Thread: The Current War (Film)
30/07/2019 23:15:11

One review I read mentions the intrusive and jittery camera work, especially in the first twenty minutes. Did you notice it? As someone who regularly shouts stop doing that! at the television, I wonder whether to save my money until it is televised. Then I can shout at it or turn it off according to my own preference.

George

Thread: Microns ...
05/07/2019 14:06:29

Personally, I only work in zeptoparsecs (zpc), which saves a lot of argument.

My son uses the Metric Beardsmore, which is the length of his boss's forearm.

George B.

Thread: Phillips vs Pozidrive and portable drills
05/07/2019 13:51:38
Posted by Jeff Dayman on 05/07/2019 13:38:32:

"I think Robertson is mostly just in Canada"

They were invented in Milton Ontario Canada by Mr P L Robertson. He had a plant for making them in UK as well, in the 1920's-1930's.

That makes sense. The only time I have encountered them in the UK was on a wooden step-ladder I inherited from my grandfather. I estimated that it dated from the 1920s or 30s, and it took me a long time to identify the screw heads. Sadly, the step-ladder succumbed to the combined effects of damp and woodworm some years ago.

George B.

Thread: Practical Electrical Engineer
27/05/2019 23:56:02
Posted by Tim Stevens on 27/05/2019 15:07:03:

... Chatterton - an insulating compound (Bitumen plus) used on sealing tape.

I still have my father's stick of Chatterton's Compound and a roll of cloth tape in the come-in-handy box, though they have never come in handy for anything in all the years I've had them. The compound is applied to the tape by melting the end of the stick, typically with a soldering iron.

George

Thread: Restoring a Myford ML1
26/05/2019 13:46:12

Ouch! That has certainly been brutalised. Though I would agree with others that it could be restored, I seriously doubt whether it should be restored. Given the visible damage, and the known missing bits, and the teeth marks on the spindle flange, and the missing bolt from the hold-down crescent on the top slide (which probably was broken out from the thread in the cross slide) I would be very suspicious of the condition of any part of this lathe.

There's a huge amount of accumulated knowledge and experience on this forum. By doing separate searches for ML1 (ignore the ML10 results), ML2, ML3 and ML4 you will find most of the threads relevant to this family of lathes. I know you've indicated that you are not going ahead with this particular lathe, but you might find a better one and they are good lathes - I'm currently on my second ML4.

George

Thread: Getting rid of the garage door...........
25/05/2019 13:52:37
Posted by OuBallie on 25/05/2019 11:51:12:

I converted my Up & Over into a side hinged door, and released all the space it needed to swing up.

I replaced mine with a pair of traditional, side-hung wooden doors, and it's a huge improvement. I only need to open one most of the time and access is so much more convenient. They are held by locking sliding stays which stops them opening much more than 90 degrees, so they don't flap about in the wind. And I can sling a tarpaulin over the tops to make a sun or rain shelter when needed.

Inside I have done as others have, and constructed a stud wall to make an insulated 'snug' for clean and warm work. I made the wall very substantial so I can hang pretty much whatever I want on it without any danger of it letting go.

George

Thread: What do YOU call it?
23/05/2019 12:18:37

A friend of mine when asked says "I'm just giving it a good coat of looking-at".

George B.

Thread: stamford show vandals
20/05/2019 13:50:42

While in no way condoning the behaviour of these youths, I have a glimmer of understanding how their behaviour may have been influenced by an internal rage magnified by mob spirit.

Before I retired, for a number of years I taught technology and science to teenagers in pupil referral units and special schools (I still volunteer one day a week). When one learns of the unspeakable physical, emotional and spiritual damage caused to some of these youngsters by the adults in their lives, it it surprising that they turn out as well as they do.

By the way, 'technology' often would be better described as 'therapeutic woodwork' as some youngsters are helped more by spending an hour drilling holes or banging nails into a lump of wood than by any formal or structured approach, Ofsted be blowed.

When you point out that they can now knock a nail in straight or drill a hole without splitting the wood it is often the first positive thing they have heard all day. Making some small trinket, no matter how rough and ready, is often the first success they have felt, and some feel huge pride in taking it home to Mum - the ones, that is, who aren't prevented by a legal injunction from entering their mother's home..

Society is producing more and more damaged youngsters, and is not making anywhere near enough special provision to prevent the damage or rectify it after it's done. Our political masters - of all hues - remain determined to force all young people into the same educational Procrustean Bed, and it doesn't work. I'd better get off my horse now before I start on Gove and his so-called "English Baccalaureate" which is designed to turn them all into middle-class grammar school kids with a nice classical education, unsullied by any creative, constructive or artistic influence whatever.

I shall watch the fate of these four youths with interest. It could still turn out that they are just spoiled and selfish brats.

George

Thread: HSS or CS taps and dies
20/05/2019 13:07:49

My brother's model engineering business uses a lot of small taps and dies. After many years of experience he uses only good quality carbon steel taps as they keep their edge better. I don't know who his supplier is.

George

Thread: Railway sign
06/05/2019 18:41:50

I can't help a feeling that the sign is modern and entirely fraudulent. Can anybody show me that I'm wrong?

George

Thread: Sump Plug
01/05/2019 18:43:42
Posted by Ian Usmar on 01/05/2019 11:12:02:

... have not tried a hot removal as yet. ...

Assuming you have no fuel leaks I can't think of any reason why you shouldn't apply local heat to it. Even if the oil starts to boil locally, it would take an awful lot of heat to cause any danger of ignition.

George

Thread: A Unique Word?
30/04/2019 15:17:05
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 30/04/2019 10:15:04:

I remember doing a double-take when I saw a journal in the library : THERAPIST

MichaelG.

psychotherapist.jpg

29/04/2019 13:54:09
Posted by John Flack on 29/04/2019 12:06:55:

Nobody has yet to ask if misspelt is missspelt...........

I used to struggle with misshapen.

By the way, can anybody find a rhyme for month?

George

28/04/2019 11:54:00
Posted by Sam Stones on 27/04/2019 20:21:32:

Was it this one George?

The publican of the Pig and Whistle ordered a replacement sign for his establishment. Upon viewing the new sign, he expressed dissatisfaction to the sign maker. He asserted that there was too much space between pig and and and and and whistle.

Sam cool

That's the one I know. Are you ready to tackle Galahad next ?

George

George

Thread: "Screwing" a car round a corner!
27/04/2019 16:33:27
Posted by David Standing 1 on 27/04/2019 14:34:14:

Decades ago it would have been oversteer, today drifting.

I was told that understeer is when you go through the hedge forwards, oversteer is when you go through it backwards.

George

Thread: A Unique Word?
27/04/2019 16:28:28
Posted by Sam Stones on 27/04/2019 01:30:38:

This might open another tin-of-worms.

Some may have heard/read the word 'and' written consecutively five times in the same sentence.

Sam nerd

I know that one. Back in the sixties our English master gave us a sentence to punctuate which had the word 'had' eleven times in a row:

The rest of the class while Galahad had had had had had had had had had had had the masters approval

George

27/04/2019 13:49:07
Posted by Sam Stones on 27/04/2019 01:30:38:

This might open another tin-of-worms.

Some may have heard/read the word 'and' written consecutively five times in the same sentence.

Sam nerd

I know that one. Back in the sixties our English master gave us a sentence to punctuate which had the word 'had' eleven times in a row:

The rest of the class while Galahad had had had had had had had had had had had the masters approval

George

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Advertise With Us
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Meridienne Sept 2019
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest