By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Georgineer

Here is a list of all the postings Georgineer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What rivet to use to join aluminium?
14/09/2020 11:03:16
Posted by Tim Stevens on 13/09/2020 18:16:15:

Aluminium does not rust,

It crumbles to a greyish dust,

And most of that which you can see

Consists of Al 2 O 3

A popular ditty at the Alcan factory when I were a lad.

Cheers, Tim

Interesting. I've always known it as "white rust".

George B.

Thread: Bench block for small parts - ice hockey puck
13/09/2020 20:35:41

Thanks Nick, that's much clearer. For single silent practice we have a wooden stay which clamps round the clapper and holds it central, but that changes the handling of the bell. Your idea could be ideal for one of the lighter bells.

George B.

13/09/2020 12:43:49
Posted by Nicholas Wheeler 1 on 11/09/2020 17:21:57:

Screwed to a chunk of motorcycle tyre, they make good silencers for small bells. The good thing about this method is that the silencer does not have to be removed, just rotated around the ball of the clapper. Particularly handy for cramped bellfries with poor access

Nick, can you explain this a bit more, please? I've used the traditional leather buffer for half-muffling tower bells (tenor 17 cwt) but can't visualise the setup you are describing and whether it would do the same job.

George B.

Thread: Scaling back forum activity
12/09/2020 12:09:52
Posted by Barrie Lever on 11/09/2020 18:09:34:... I will be able to allow some robust banter with a little politics etc thrown in for good measure...

It's a pound to a pinch of poop that it'll develop into a right-wing echo chamber, like Smokstak and some other forums I have learned to avoid. Does the internet really need another one?

George B.

Thread: Was this Schrödinger’s Fuse ?
09/09/2020 14:31:30
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 09/09/2020 14:10:29:

It's only going to work if you haven't cleared the fault to earth.

If it's blown by a transient or you unplug the cause, it won't work.

Neil

Me: "Do you have a book on Schrödinger and Pavlov?"

Librarian: "I'm, not sure, but it rings a bell."

Neil, I'm sure you could have worked Heisenberg in there somewhere...

I had one of those LED fuses blow from a momentary fault, and the LED then passed enough current to make a plug-in dashcam indicate that it was powered up, but not to actually function. That made it appear that the dashcam was faulty. Once I found out the real cause, I threw away all my LED fuses.

George B.

Thread: Just aquired and set up an ML4
05/09/2020 11:46:28

My ML4 has a Dickson QCTP fitted, which has been very successful. The top bush which came with the toolpost is drilled 7/16" to suit the ML7 toolpost stud, so I made a new bush drilled 3/8" to fit the ML4. If you judge the thickness of the bush flange correctly, the handle of the adjusting key will lie in a convenient direction.

George B.

Thread: Best way to keep nuts tight (ha ha)
03/09/2020 19:02:34

I would try Hardlock nuts, which operate on a wedge principle. I came across them at a trade show early this year and and was given a couple as samples. I have used one, and was most impressed with it. Unlike such things as nyloc nuts, it doesn't lose its grip with repeated use.

https://www.hard-lock.co.uk/

Usual disclaimers,

George B.

Thread: Locked out of the lathe
03/09/2020 11:09:20
Posted by jon hill 3 on 02/09/2020 14:10:42:

Panic over I located a spare key, I might try some of the lock pick options just for fun in case I mislay the key again.

The wiring to the switch is consealed by another panel in the lathe cupboard, so I think I will leave replacing it for now.

Thanks for everyones advice.

Jon

And Thanks, Jon, for letting us know the outcome. Not everybody remembers to do that.

George B.

Thread: Mystery post
31/08/2020 10:25:54

If it takes a square or triangular key you could always knock one up and have a look. Put on your high-vis jacket and a hard hat and nobody will notice you. Carry a clipboard and make notes...

George B.

Thread: Any idea what this is guys & gals
25/08/2020 14:56:07
Posted by Steviegtr on 24/08/2020 03:51:28:

So i guess that all the guys on here that i thought were very clever people are only micro Plebs.

All of 'em? Don't tar the others with the same brush for my sins. Myself, I've never laid claim to being more than a nano-pleb.

Strange how if you don't know you try & BECOME SEMI INTELLIGENT WITH A STUPID COMMENT TO GAIN POINTS

Ok, Ok, I hear you, no need to shout. Semi-intelligent? You over-estimate me, Stevie boy.

George B.

Thread: Mystery item Myford ML 7 purchase
25/08/2020 13:22:23

Sorry, double posting (like the wrestlers do)

G.

Edited By Georgineer on 25/08/2020 13:22:55

25/08/2020 13:21:56

It might be a grostling iron...

(Picks up fractured knee caps, replaces lug in lug'ole and exits through little hole in middle of record.)

George B.

Thread: Mild Steel Problems
25/08/2020 13:17:06

I don't believe it's a new problem. When I was an apprentice in the late sixties one of our tasks was to make and heat treat a lathe tool from 1" x 1/2" carbon steel and try out its performance on mild steel. Mine behaved beautifully, and I took deeper and deeper cuts with more and more feed until it hit a hard spot and stopped cutting.

I tried all sorts to get through the hard spot, without success, and it actually tuyrned the end off my lathe tool as a boring bar might. At this point it became something of a game, and eventuall the tool tip became red hot. I then tried with a tool from tool stores (probably HSS in those days) , and that wouldn't touch it either, neither was it improved in the attempt, so I sneaked it back in the store while nobody was looking and binned the mild steel bar.

A pity, because up till then mine was a very efficient lathe tool.

George B.

Thread: Wooden Gears
23/08/2020 11:53:48
Posted by Tim Stevens on 22/08/2020 16:43:16:

An alternative gear-tooth cutting method, if you can access the kit, would be to draw out the gears in a CAD program and get them laser cut. This method uses a hot beam of light across the gear, so there should be no tendency to tear at the grain.

I think there are adverts in MEW for this sort of service.

Cheers, Tim

My personal objection to this would be an aesthetic one, because the cut surfaces are scorched black.

George B.

Edited By Georgineer on 23/08/2020 11:54:05

Thread: Any idea what this is guys & gals
23/08/2020 11:43:07

It's a grostling iron, model B by the look of it.

George B.

Thread: Myford ML7 questions
20/08/2020 13:41:17

I use an ordinary "intermediate" light switch, which does the job splendidly. The one I use is by MK, £6.28 at Screwfix, plus a back box to mount it on.

It's rated 10 AX, so it handles inductive loads up to 10 amps - ideal for this application, especially since you shouldn't be switching it while the motor is running.

George B.

Thread: Who trains these ideots?
20/08/2020 13:23:05
Posted by roy entwistle on 19/08/2020 17:35:28:

Who was it, who said " Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. "

George Bernard Shaw. I am tempted to add "and those who can't do either, recycle old chestnuts from George Bernard Shaw".

I am very much more in tune with Reg Routledge, former MCC coach, who said "The most gifted players don't make the best coaches. These are the people who have had to work least at their own game: who've had to think about it less. It stands to reason they will be less able to help others. Denis Compton, for example, was the most talented batsman I ever played with. But I would not let him teach my dog how to cock his leg."

The best lecturer I ever had was not the one who wrote erudite and incomprehensible text-books, but a hard-working chap who not only knew his stuff, he knew how to learn it, because he had had to do so himself.

I believe that one of my strengths as a teacher was not my first-class degree (which I haven't got - I just managed to scrape an 'ordinary' ) but my ability to explain and demonstrate things clearly, in different ways if necessary, until the light dawned. I'm sure my practical background before becoming a teacher helped. Sadly, this ability wasn't valued in the current educational system because I wasn't a whizz at administrative paperwork, and wouldn't roll over and die when the head told me to. But that's a different story.

George B.

edited to remove infuriating 'smiley' added by the system

Edited By Georgineer on 20/08/2020 13:24:22

19/08/2020 12:41:23

"Anyone know where I can obtain quantities of eye of toad and toes of lizard?"

Ian, I've found that eye of potato and tooth of comb make an effective substitute.

As for the decline in apprenticeships and engineering generally, it's not to be wondered at. Successive governments have shifted the UK towards a 'service economy' where I take in your washing and you take in my washing, and we both get rich. True wealth creation comes only from what you make, mine or grow, but the people who do that are seen as costing money, whereas the people who manipulate money are seen as the wealth generators. Unfortunately, the people in power are mostly drawn from the money manipulating class and have no interest beyond skimming off their share of the profits.

George B.

18/08/2020 12:15:54

I assume this is a gas boiler, from your mention of coils and sparks. If so, he must be 'gas safe' qualified before he does anything to it. Is he?

George B.

Thread: Spark plug washers and Teflon shim
13/08/2020 23:18:17

I can't help you with suppliers, I'm afraid.

You haven't said whether you are thinking of using the Teflon (PTFE) for spark plug washers, but if so, I wouldn't. It tends to creep under high temperature and pressure, which can cause problems.

George B.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
EngineDIY
cowells
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest