By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for geoff adams

Here is a list of all the postings geoff adams has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Tormach style tool holders
21/10/2020 12:49:42

hi Simon

I have a tormach pc1100 and have made my own toolholders in the past to fit the standard collet what info do you need only to happy to help

Geoff

Thread: Climb Milling any implications
23/09/2020 13:16:44

hi Chris if you climb mill on a conventional mill it will drag the work into the cutter depending how much backlash you have in the leadscrews upcutting will push the work away .it is recommend to upcut on conventional mills.

Geoff

Thread: Reminiscences
19/09/2020 15:26:14

My Grandad was in the royal flying corps before it was the raf the man in the back dropping the bombs by hand he never talked about it in the second world war was a fire warden in london never new till his funeral

my grandma had her hair ripped out on a pillar drill in the war

Geoff

Edited By geoff adams on 19/09/2020 15:28:59

Edited By geoff adams on 19/09/2020 15:33:45

Thread: Is this a plug tap
17/07/2020 14:29:11

plus one grind it flat

Thread: CNC dedicated mill or CNC converted mill?
14/07/2020 18:03:17

Barrie

many a time i have sat with a cnc mill doing nothing costing i dont no what and production getting behind while QA drawing office and planning argue what is practical in the real world looked good on paper is the tolerance needed can it be achieved +- 002 from cast faces ok today you can probe it not in my day got fed up with all the crap and moved to Christchurch Dorset and went into building trade now retired

back into engineering love it iam my own boss QA up to me

Geoff

14/07/2020 16:47:16

Barrie

back in my day we did not have cam or a computer everything done with calculator and log tables never came across a cnc machine that did not have g41 g42 must b be a nightmare without cam

no i have never seen a temp controller machine shop point being if you do need to hold these tols.these need to be considered if the tolerances are are needed or is a draughtsman being over the top for example job on 4 axis one hole +- .002 on pos and on dia on assembley turns out to be a hole for a screwdrive ??

14/07/2020 14:50:57

Barrie

g41 g42 are cutter comp on dia of the cutter program the profile of your part in cam or by hand enter the cutter dia in the machine control if part comes out oversize alter the dia on the machine not in the cam

back in the day with no cam this was very powerful tool to hold tight tolerances on profiles.

i have mach 3 on two of my mills and is not always happy with these g codes fusion 360 has an option to use g41 g42 that i do use

back to the original thread on holding tolerances on cnc machines we had a job that was about 3" 3" steel gear plate the tolerances were.0005 on pitch of holes we did this on a big Matchmaker bed mill had to warm mill up for about 3 hours run job 3 hours what was happening as the machine warmed up the colum moved stable for about 3 hours then moved again to hold these tolerances everything needs to be temp controlled room including inspection all our jig borers were in temp controlled rooms this was in the aerospace industry

Geoff

Thread: screw cutting
07/07/2020 18:19:44

thanks guys

rotagrip sorted me out with tool holder and tips be here in two three days will do everything i need

many thanks Geoff

Thread: Message from the prime minister
07/07/2020 17:15:56

made me laugh to in these times we need a bit of humor

Thread: screw cutting
06/07/2020 18:00:12

so i want to screw cut threads on cnc lathe g code no problem. carbide tip tool holders do you need a different holder for every thread ie metric coarse metric fine. one tool holder and different tips or two tool holders ? also need to cut 1/2 32 tpi thread do i need a another tool holder very confused any help please many thanks ( shank size 12mm)

Geoff

Thread: fusion 360 cam
27/06/2020 15:47:40

thanks everyone for your help been in the shop and cut the face Jasons post worked great

many thanks Geoff

27/06/2020 13:34:50

thanks Jason

just tried that works great will now go an machine it new there had to be a way

ps still working on the midget engine

Thanks Geoff

27/06/2020 13:27:46

Andrew

yes simple job have come across this problem before for a simple op it seems over complicated must be a way round it your last suggestion is the way iam going to do but will use cambam an use pocket lot easy that fusion

Geoff

27/06/2020 13:18:31

yes it is just a facing cut but leaving the boss .5 mm high

i have machined the part using 3d adaptive clearing contour to finish the boss contour to machine outside profile and pocket to machine the c/bore but this leave part of the blue are not machined

27/06/2020 12:53:09

see what you guys are saying and i agree but surely there must be a way of machining this face with whatever dia cutter you like or have in your box 6 mm would do the job but using 10 mm not so many passes and does not affect anything else i could easily prog by hand

Geoff

27/06/2020 12:20:09

parting tool.jpgI want to machine the area in blue the part is 125 mm 40 mm the boss is 25.3 dia top of boss is z zero the blue area is -.5 mm cutter 10 mm dia no matter what i try i cant get fusion to machine blue area any ideas welcome

thanks Geoff

Thread: Novice attempts to build a Filing Machine
20/06/2020 14:52:51

Hi Ro

looking at your router it does not lookup to the job this is what you need sent you a pm

geoff

img_0802.jpg

Thread: Hello fron the New Forest
14/06/2020 13:27:56

Hi Ro

welcome iam in Barton on sea where in the forest are you ? i have 2 cnc lathes 2 cnc mills 3 mills two lathes if i can be of help give me shout

Geoff

Thread: Convert PDF to DXF?
14/06/2020 13:18:53

Richard plus one for inkscape i use it all the time to convert drawing to dxf then i can use the dxf file in my cam for the cnc machine

Geoff

Thread: Jumping in
11/06/2020 16:17:38

Hi Ian i have just got a bantam about three weeks ago all set up and running fitted a dro and quick change tool post it runs on 240 volt been covert about 10 years ago iam over the moon with mine had to sell a boxford and a myford to make space . a lot more power no more belt slip need to sort out the foot brake looks like it just needs to be adjusted .tailstock die holder would be a good project if you need any help message me

all the best Geoff

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Warco
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest