By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for BOB BLACKSHAW

Here is a list of all the postings BOB BLACKSHAW has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Smiths Astral Clock
16/11/2019 13:10:40

I cleaned the main body and platform in petrol,then used clock oil.The platform I just oiled the pivots very lightly. The clock worked the same before I touched it .

Bob

16/11/2019 10:30:52

I've got a problem with a Smiths Astral mechanism, it works for around two days then stops,I've stripped it down and given it a good clean but again the same happens, in the end it becomes fully wound up with two days of it working.

So the mechanism will not fully unwind, the platform to has had a clean but I think that this is the problem. I have three other Smiths ships clocks in the loft with platform problems, but the cost of replacing them if you can get them makes them worthless.

Is the platform on the clock the cause of not letting the mechanism fully unwind, any help please.

Bob

Thread: Miitutoyo caliper error
05/11/2019 17:59:38

dscn1130.jpgTried allsorts of batteries with no success, but this works a treat, tried and tested.

Bob

Thread: Carbon steel taps and dies
02/11/2019 12:24:41

I have started to make my own water gauges and other fitments needed for my boiler that I am making.

I have some M E taps already 32 and 40 tpi HSS but need a few other sizes for threading brass.

If I but HSS its three times the price than carbon steel so now its cost as I a few more taps and dies.

My question is will the carbon taps and dies be any good just for brass, and what is the best to get 32 or 40 as the part that will fit in the bushes I have done 32 tpi. but I am not sure about the union nuts are they 32 or 40.

As the cost is going up and up it would have been cheaper to buy the fitments than making them, but I prefer to make them myself.

Thread: A very old model marine engine
30/10/2019 19:08:37

I've cleaned up the boat after over 40 years of non use and now would like to get it going on gas. Any suggestions of how I can do this, I've seen these self fill butane micro gas torches which would be idea butpa300359.jpg would like a burner with a separate gas tank.

Bob

Thread: Buying a Propane Torch
29/10/2019 12:38:21

I haven't used mine yet but I didn't want to spend a fortune on a propane gas torch, so I got a Clarke torch with three nozzles for about £35. Its basic so hopefully it will do the job.

Bob.

Thread: A very old model marine engine
27/10/2019 19:13:24

Thanks all, if I remember it never had oil put in the tank so I will look forward to get it going.

Bob

27/10/2019 17:40:59

I have a model steam boat which must be over eighty years old and have stripped the engine down as it was in a bit of a mess.

I intend to make the engine 1/3 size bigger some time in the future with a boiler but I'mpa270351.jpg not sure what the small tank on the valve case is for.

I've made a few small steam engines so I should know but I don't, it has a small screw on the bottom so the only think it could be is for collecting condensed water, or a oil tank..

The boat is a model of the Turbinia, I shall have a photo of it when I clean it all up as its been in my fathers shed since it was last used in the early eighties.

Originally it was meth's fired but it was converted to the solid block fuel which has left the boiler area full of black thick soot. I remember when I was a boy it would catch fire on the pond as the meth's would flow into the fire so was quite dangerous.

Todays solid fuel will this create soot, or any other suggestions for fuel but preverbally solid.

Thread: Boiler making problem.
24/10/2019 12:22:06

No pressure then Bill. as I've got older my hands are beginning to shake so more silver solder will be used.

Bob

24/10/2019 11:39:06

Thanks for the replies.

Its bronze bushes for fittings on the boiler, but can brass be used for making the water tubes and other fittings.

The boiler I'm making will not get a lot of use as I just want to make one first then progress to a better boiler later after I've mastered the basics.

I have 1.5m of 62mm copper tube 1.5mm thick so plenty to play with, and have similar length of 108mm pipe for the main boiler I want to make later, but as Iv said minimal use.

Thanks Bob

22/10/2019 10:33:43

I've got K N Harris boilermaking book and cant find the questions I need to make my boiler. The book points out that people with reasonable intelligence should understand the procedure with making a boiler, obviously I'm lacking here.

My question is that I want to make the end caps and tubes together as one unit so I can check that the tubes are silver soldered correctly. I want to put the unit in the tube and silver solder the ends to the main tube.

I've seen on You Tube that the bronze bushes are silver soldered on the inside of the tube , If I do that then I cant slide the unit through, as the sides of the flanges will engage the silver soldered joint.

I could silver solder the bronze bushes from the outside of the main tube, is this a standard way of doing it ?.

I want to flange the tubes slightly this is why I want to make the tube and end plates in one unit.

Thanks Bob.

Thread: Heat insulation
17/10/2019 14:21:04

Thanks all,

I've ordered a torch with three different nozzles also with the propane tank and deposit came out very reasonable.

Bob

14/10/2019 20:07:36

Thanks for the replies.

A re think needed on this.

Bob

14/10/2019 18:07:12

Thanks for the advice, quite like the ceramic fiber, and Vermiculite.

I'm a bit lost now with the Map torch I have as it looks like it hasn't the burner size. I've looked on Ebay at the propane torches, will these fit a Map cylinder.

I have a large cylinder of Calor gas will this be any good, if so will a propane torch fit the cylinder.

I really haven't a clue with fittings and gas, only ever used acetylene many years ago.

Thanks Bob

14/10/2019 14:28:21

Sorry I was a bit vague on my question.

I'm actually making the boiler and the insulation is for silver soldering to compact the heat.

I asked a question the other day on the forum if

a Map torch will give me enough heat for silver soldering,

or I was to rivet and soft solder the boiler .

I would prefer silver solder but limited to a Map torch.

Thanks Bob

14/10/2019 10:54:04

I'm to start making a boiler but I need a insulation inside the copper tube.

Years ago asbestos was used, coak is a alternative but cant seem to find this.

Any other materials that can be used , would fiber glass be any good.

Thanks Bob

Thread: Can low pressure steam boilers be soft soldered ?
13/10/2019 10:18:20

I've been reading this thread about soft solder and silver solder on boilers.

I've got all the materials needed for a boiler of 4inch dial.

I was considering soft solder with rivets, but would prefer silver solder without rivets.

My heat sorce is a Map tourch, will this give me heat I need for silver solder.

If so I will go for the high melting point, I've seen on You Tube the gas torches used that roofers use for this.

Thanks Bob

Thread: Boiler plans
29/09/2019 17:21:32

Thanks for the suppliers, I've found what I need.

Bob.

29/09/2019 12:15:44

Thanks for the replies, but any source for a supplier of the tubes please.

Bob.

28/09/2019 14:08:27

I have read the book by K N Harris on boiler making and have a understanding of the process.

Are there any plans that are available for a vertical boiler at around 6 inch dia maximum.

The book has plans but I prefer to have a drawing to work to if that's possible.

Also finding a supplier for the copper tube has also been difficult to find.

I was a sheetmetal worker so I have the confidence to make the boiler to a good standard.

Bob.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
ChesterUK
Meridienne; London MES
cowbells
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest