By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian H

Here is a list of all the postings Brian H has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Raglan Capstan MKII
24/01/2022 15:51:01

Congratulations on your new acquisition, here is a site with info on your lathe:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/raglan/**LINK**

Brian

Thread: Brass casting - who to contact?
23/01/2022 10:04:41

**LINK**

Brian (I have no connection with them)

Thread: New highway code rule.
23/01/2022 09:17:34

If you open a door in front of a cyclist (or any other person), what difference does it make what hand you use? Another example of useless rule making.

Thread: Lathe change gears vs gearbox
21/01/2022 10:44:13

I have a Boxford AUD with gearbox but it is also possible to add change wheels to increase the number of pitches available.

Brian

Have a look at this site for information:

**LINK**

Thread: How to contact Model Engineering Website
19/01/2022 17:46:43

Many thanks John and Dick for the info. After carefully reading the site I found an address I used to contact David.

Brian

19/01/2022 16:40:03

Does anyone know how to contact David Carpenter at Model Engineering Website? There appears to be no way of contacting via the website.

Brian

Thread: Clamping set (metric or imperial)
18/01/2022 09:03:57

I think that the most important thing is to ensure that your clamping set fits your Bridgeport. After that there is no need to worry about whether they are metric or Imperial.

Brian

Thread: Music on TV Programmes.
17/01/2022 16:33:42

It's not the loudness or otherwise of the so called, background music, it's the fact that it's there at all, especially when someone is talking.

Brian

15/01/2022 13:48:49

Going back to my original post, surely it must be possible to electronically filter out the background music?

Brian

Thread: Inverter for 3 phase supply
14/01/2022 15:09:00

I needed to supply 3 ph from 1 ph mains for an Alexander 3D mill and engraver and found company just of M1 Jtn 28 called ;

https://www.drivesdirect.co.uk/

They were excellent in supplying a VFD with a remote controller and advising me how to wire it up.

I have no connection with them apart from being a very satisfied customer.

Brian

Thread: Model Engineering Website
14/01/2022 14:14:59

Just tried the link from SoB and it worked fine.

Brian

Thread: WATCH THIS SPACE !
14/01/2022 10:12:30

I'm paying attention Noel!

Brian

Thread: Catastrophic Failure of Pressure Vessels
14/01/2022 09:38:21

My only experience of boiler failure was when a company that I worked for decided to build a range of domestic boilers to a German design, under licence.

One of the requirements was that we would have to carry out a destructive test using hydraulic pressure.

The boiler withstood over 5 times its design limit and then split in a non welded area. The lack of anything dramatic happening was somewhat of a disappointment but convinced me that a hydraulic test was the safest way to test a boiler.

Brian

Thread: 5 inch Lion Locomotive Drawing
12/01/2022 17:49:39

I have been given a full sized drawing for a 5 inch gauge Lion.

The drawing appears to be slightly incomplete in some minor areas and has no title box as is usual on drawings.

The only wording on it, apart from the word 'LION' on the nameplate, is a typed note near the drawing of the safety valves stating "WHAT DIA IS TOP PLATE - 25 OR 25.25"

Does anyone have any idea where the drawing originated? The drg measures 49ins X 23 1/2ins.

Brian

Thread: Midlands Model Engineering Exhibition 2022
11/01/2022 15:23:33

Me too!

Thread: 5 inch Lion (Titfield Thunderbolt) superheater
11/01/2022 11:19:05

Many thanks br, obviously a little more research required on this one.

Brian

Thread: 5 inch Lion (Titfield Thunderbolt) Boiler top
11/01/2022 10:52:31

Someone has built a 7 1/4 inch gauge version of Lion and has followed the prototype boiler with a 'Haycock' boiler top and I've seen a 5 inch one with the same arrangement and I think that is what I'd prefer.

My objection to a cast boiler top is that there is no way of knowing if you have a sound casting (I no longer have access to a friendly radiographic department).

Brian

Thread: 5 inch Lion (Titfield Thunderbolt) superheater
11/01/2022 10:45:25

Thanks for that John. I'm not intending to try to win races with it and two videos on Youtube show engines running quite fast and with the safety valves blowing off all the time.

I remember reading somewhere that model superheaters are merely steam dryers!

Brian

Thread: 5 inch Lion (Titfield Thunderbolt) Boiler top
10/01/2022 18:08:26

Many thanks to all for the helpful replies.

br Yes, the cast boiler top is integral and is silver soldered on.

lion boiler top 001.jpg

Brian B The article 'Lions Crown' is about making a brass cover for the boiler top. This is decorative only and does not replace the casting.

Nick Clarke 3 I agree about 'grandfathers rights' and this will be something else to ask my clubs boiler inspector.

I have no problems with any required calculations

Essm This is very interesting and will be included in my list of possibilities, which also include making a rounded boiler top with a manhole as mentioned in another of my posts

Brian

10/01/2022 13:37:05

I know that many have been made but I'm not at all keen on using a casting for the boiler top.

I have seen pictures of one with a more prototypical rounded top with a circular manhole (am I allowed to call it that?!)

Can anyone point me in the direction of any information?

Brian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest