By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian H

Here is a list of all the postings Brian H has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Boxford Splashback
22/10/2016 20:37:23

I have a Boxford AUD with 16 inches between centres on a 36 inch bed and I want to fit a splashback, BUT.

I have found a drawing of a splashback but it appears to be for the long bed (28 inches between centres) version with a length of 41. 5 inches ( the splashback that is)

Can someone tell me what the splashback length would be for my version?

ALSO, having spent some time obtaining meaurements and drawing and cutting templates, I now find that the lathe would have to be moved away from the wall by about 4 inches to fit the splashback in, unless there is a way of making a splashback to fit flush against the wall. (almost) any suggestions welcome.

Edited By Brian Hutchings on 22/10/2016 20:39:14

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
20/10/2016 15:31:35

A firm I worked for had the job of repairing the avionics on one of the ditched Nimrods. Needless to say most of the items and wiring were scrapped because of the effects of being in salt water.

Presumably the airframe was refurbished.

Thread: Another "what lathe"
19/10/2016 20:26:33

Personally, I would go for a second hand one with a name like Myford, Boxford, Colchester, etc.There's lots of tooling about for these and they were well made.

19/10/2016 20:22:31

Just goes to show that we should stick with Imperial to avoid this sort of thing!

Thread: Gosh trying to line a Loco is so hard any tips
19/10/2016 20:18:16

Concrats on finally getting your engine sorted Ron.

Have you considered using a lining pen? or, as a last resort, using lining transfers?

19/10/2016 14:59:57

Regarding the posts on Comet, Nimrod & AEW, some years ago I used to work on Typhoon, Nimrod and others and heard that the reason for the demise of Nimrod was that they were all to be upgraded with new wings etc and the wings were built to the drawings and were spot on. The problem was that the RAF had carried out field repairs and mods over many years and so it was very hit and miss as to wether or not the wings would fit the fuselages!

It was probably a good excuse to cancel the project.

Thread: How many have 3 phase in a DOMESTIC house
19/10/2016 10:46:20

The last house I moved to had 3 phase built in as I found when I opened the meter cupboard and saw three 400 amp fuses.

I 'phoned the electricity company to confirm and was told that every third house has 3 phase but they didn't know why.

I got an electrician to run a supply out to the workshop/garage and sold my 1 to 3 phase converter.

The houses were built in 1946.

Thread: Couple of things at Lidl
17/10/2016 19:21:31

I also agree with Martin, Mine has been used wwith no problems for the past 3 years, on both 6V and 12V.

Thread: Scroll Saw or Bandsaw?
15/10/2016 19:46:27

Probem solved at the MMEE, just walking around after buying much needed supplies, I spotted a small Proxxon MBS 240/E bandsaw and, out of idle curiosity, I had a closer look.

This bandsaw tackled steel, brass, aluminium, plastic and even, with the correct blade, ceramic. The speed is infinitely variablefrom 590 fpm to 1082 fpm, a bit quick for steel but most of my need is to cut brass.

It has provision for dust extraction and can be fitted with coolant, there are two built-in drains.

Not cheap at around £250 although second hand, bigger machines can cost more and most are only suitable for cutting wood.

10/10/2016 16:44:17

The noisiest a/c I remember was at an airshow at R-R Hucknall when the star guests were the Blue Angels flying Phantoms. They were so load that every dog locally was barking and every child at the airshow was crying. The noise was so loud that there never was another airshow.

Thread: Upcoming Events
09/10/2016 19:29:29

Not forgetting the one that appears at the head of this section, namely the Midlands Model Engineering Exhibition.

08/10/2016 18:00:32

And the other picture;

p1140461.jpg

Edited By Brian Hutchings on 08/10/2016 18:01:16

08/10/2016 17:59:20

Thanks for the advice John.

Here are 2 pictures of the saw table and scroll saw attachment mentioned earlier. Attachment needs a jigsaw underneath and is held by the clamps and wingnuts.

Maybe someone knows how to rotate the picture?

p1140460.jpg

Edited By Brian Hutchings on 08/10/2016 18:04:37

Edited By Brian Hutchings on 08/10/2016 18:06:17

08/10/2016 16:27:32

Many thanks Ian for the piece about NeuTechnik, it reminded me that I have something similar tucked away in the dark rececesses of a shed. It is a Wolfcraft universal table that takes all sorts of powertools and has an attachment that turns a jigsaw into a scrollsaw. I may be able to find room for it in the workshop (garage) now that I've had a clearout.

That settles it, I'll look for a variable speed bandsaw that will tackle the metalwork.

Many thanks to all who replied

Thread: Midlands MEX 2016
08/10/2016 14:04:17

I've got my tickets but I'm hoping to avoid the great unwashed.

Thread: Thin Steel Strip (1/32" x 3/32")
08/10/2016 14:00:54

I have previously bought round edged spring material from suppliers of steels for use in artificial limbs. Unfortunately the supplier I used in Sheffield went out of business a few years ago but there must be others.

Thread: Beginner Steam Loco
08/10/2016 07:58:28

I think that the first thing any beginner should do is to join a local club (assuming that there is one), then you can see various engines running, ask questions and, probably be offered the chance to drive one as well as hearing of any engines for sale. Y ou also get the benefit of advice from the boiler inspector.

07/10/2016 18:48:56

Thanks for the replies Norman and Neil, I need to cut small pieces of brass and steel for 1 1/2" to 2" traction engine parts and plywood mainly for pattern making for similar.

Mayby the answer would be to buy both !

Brian

07/10/2016 16:01:35

Which is best for mainly thin brass and steel sheet with occasional woodwork. I think I'd prefer variable speed whichever but, which one?

Thread: Model Engineers' Day 2016 at the Forncett Steam Museum
03/10/2016 20:02:12

Many thanks Bill and Rowan (the museums founder) for a wonderful day and more thanks to Rowan and his wife for the two nights B&B that me and my wife enjoyed. Its a long way from Mansfield in Nottinghamshire to Forncett St Mary in Norfolk by 1931 Austin Seven!

I took a lot of pictures but need to sort them out.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Dreweatts
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest