By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian H

Here is a list of all the postings Brian H has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New Member - Looking to Upgrade from SX2P
15/01/2021 10:52:36

Hello Andrew and welcome.

I'm afraid that I won't be of much use in your deliberating process but I too have a Boxford, in my case an AUD. I also have an ancient mill/drill with DRO and a Senior ELT horizontal mill with DRO.

I had a look at the spec for the 2 machines you mention and, personally, I thought that the SX3 was the better machine because of the lack of a swivelling head, they are a bit of a nightmare to tram whereas the SX3 is fixed and so no problem or danger of it moving.

Please let us know what you decide and why.

Brian

Thread: Yet another one from Yorkshire
14/01/2021 22:39:09

Hello Tony. If the pictures are in your album then they can be added to a post by clicking on the black camera icon that appears when you add a post. Then you can navigate to the picture within your album. I hope I've made that understandable!

Brian

Just had a look at your album..VERY impressive

Edited By Brian H on 14/01/2021 22:41:15

14/01/2021 11:47:38

Hello Tony and welcome. I have previously built a 3" Marshall 'S' Type road roller and an own design Fowell-Box engine.

Current projects are a Burrell-Boydell engine in 1 1/2" scale ( I'm not as strong as I once was) and a 1/4 scale model of Henry Fords 1896 Quadricycle.

An 8" Burrell is going to be impressive, please keep us up to date on progress.

I'm probable not that far from you in North Derbyshire.

Brian

Thread: Cleaning copper rivets.
14/01/2021 11:40:07

I certainly bow to the superior knowledge of Keith. The main reason that I use a pickle is because most of my rivets were purchased in a job lot many, many years ago and are now a very dark brown colour.

I use a pickle to remove this and give the flux the best chance.

Brian

13/01/2021 18:48:12

I always wash them in soapy water to remove any oil or grease and then give them a pickle along with the plates to be silver soldered.

Please let us know how you are getting on with the project.

Brian

Thread: Ford Quadricycle Engine
12/01/2021 18:18:54

Hello Tim and many thanks once again for your input. I'm very comfortable with electrics and your description of the original Ford system is very useful.

I'm not looking to getting the engine producing lots of power or even to drive the car. If I can just get it to tick over on axle stands I would be more than happy.

If it were possible to achieve this whilst using Fords system, that would be wonderful but if not then I'll go with the more modern way of doing it.

I will still put the visible parts into the engine whichever path I go down.

Brian

12/01/2021 15:10:31

Thanks Tim, yes I remember the piece about ICS and I saved it as a favourite. And thanks for the reference to Lodge etc.

Brian

12/01/2021 11:17:41

Me again! I've now found the drawing for the original ignition system on the Quadricycle in The Henry Ford Museum.

This was obtained from "The Early Ford Register" who have a full set of drawings and sketches and will make them available to anyone who pays the very modest joining fee.

Brian

6-11b ignition system1024_1.jpg

12/01/2021 11:10:34

Jason, I found the English version button thanks but I am actually learning Dutch as Netherlands is favourite holiday destination (when we get the chance again)

Brian

12/01/2021 10:29:03

Again, many thanks Jason for the info and link to Jan Ridders. Now I can study it and add to my Dutch language learning at the same time!

It will be some time before I'm able to start on the ignition side but I'll post on here with details.

Brian

12/01/2021 08:16:12

Many thanks to all for the useful information. I need to sit down and work through the possibilities.

Brian

11/01/2021 18:36:30

Many thanks Tim and Jason, I shall have to compare the details I have with the systems described, Fortunately, the vehicle has a large box at the front which housed the original battery cells so that may be big enough to hide the electrics.

Brian

img_0288.jpg

Thread: Yet another scam lathe sale on ebay to be aware of
11/01/2021 18:12:33
Posted by MC Black on 11/01/2021 17:59:01:

This may be a naive question, but why does he have 100% good feedback if he scams people?

Why have the people scammed NOT left bad reports?

All of his feedback is for items he has purchased. There is none for sales. I don't know if that makes him/her a scammer though.

Brian

Thread: Ford Quadricycle Engine
11/01/2021 17:50:42

Many thanks for your comments Martin. I have a drawing of Fords carb and intend making it as a sale model to suit the Quadricycle. I'll try it on pump petrol. I don't want it to power the car, just to run for at least a few minutes.

I've just realised that I have a drawing for the ignition system which will give me a starting point, my main worry is the strength of the spark but I usually live in hope with these projects.

11/01/2021 15:33:25

My 1/4 scale model of Fords 1896 Quadricycle now has the outline of an engine installed.

I'm hoping to get the engine running but am unsure of the carburettor and ignition.

The carb I am not too concerned about and will try it to Fords original specification. Would lighter fuel be OK to use? I'm assuming that it may be purer and more volatile than pump petrol.

More of a problem may be the ignition. The Ford one was a very basic idea but the details are a little hazy and I'm wondering to tackle the ignition.

Any help much appreciated and I would like to stay as authentic as possible.

engine installed.jpg

Brian

Edited By Brian H on 11/01/2021 15:34:27

Thread: Hello from Yorkshire (another one !)
11/01/2021 12:51:31

Welcome Jeff, there seems to be quite a number of bike rebuilders on here so hopefully one will be along soon with advice.

My advice would be to go for the biggest bar that will fit your lathe and the size of hole you wish to bore.

Is the material that the carbs are made from aluminium or Mazak?

What sort f lathe do you have?

Brian

Thread: Finding a good home for my Dad's engine
10/01/2021 19:10:29

Hello Richard. Do you have any drawings associated with the engine or the traction engine wheels that may help in identifying what they are?

An approximate location may also help if anyone wants to see them once this lockdown is over.

Brian

Thread: Early publications
10/01/2021 19:01:02

Hello Anthony and welcome.

All the best with you quest to track down articles by The Carpenters Mate. There are people on here sometimes who have old copies of M.E. for sale or to donate to a good home.

You might also try;

**LINK**

or

**LINK**

Brian

Thread: New member
10/01/2021 17:48:55

Hello David and welcome. The first machine for a workshop just has to be a lathe, you can do so much with one, including light milling.

The most obvious lathe is a Myford such as the ML7 or Super 7 but these come at a premium because of their popularity. My own Lathe is a Boxford AUD which means it is a model A with screwcutting gearbox and power feeds and the UD stands for underdrive meaning that the motor is underneath in the cabinet. One of those would fit you width requirement as would the slightly smaller Myford.

As you are looking at any lathes (or other machinery) an excellent source of information is

http://www.lathes.co.uk/

Of course there is also the option of a far Eastern product from the likes of ARC UK etc.

A lot depends on your budget as well as the space available.

It may help if you could give an approximate location such as county, there are likely to be people on this forum who would be willing to show you their own workshop machinery.

Brian

Edited By Brian H on 10/01/2021 17:49:56

Thread: The Repair Shop is getting to me...
09/01/2021 17:46:41

I'm with Brian (that's such a good name) on the subject of Mrs Brown. Utter rubbish!

Brian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest