By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian H

Here is a list of all the postings Brian H has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Howdy
08/04/2020 16:19:25

Hello Matt and welcome.

There are 2 other sites with useful info on Boxfords; one is

**LINK**

and the other is

**LINK**

This last one has a list of file location down the side; the most useful for your purposes is, 'Files'.

Brian

Edited By Brian H on 08/04/2020 16:22:36

Edited By Brian H on 08/04/2020 16:24:56

Thread: Hello
08/04/2020 09:52:23

Hello Tom and welcome. I'm mainly into ancient traction engines but have made radio controlled and static boats, first model was a model ships cannon and then stationary steam engine, a vacuum engine followed by the Marshall Road Roller in 3 inch and then the Fowell-Box engine also in 3 inch.

Then came a succession of pre-war Austin Sevens and currently a Burrell-Boydell Road locomotive in 1 1/2" inch.

There are other projected projects thought about but I need to live until I'm about 300 years to stand a chance of finishing them all, but I'm having fun nevertheless!

Brian.

Thread: New member from Sherborne Dorset
08/04/2020 08:10:02

Hello Tiger and welcome.It's very good of you to offer assistance on the machines and of course if you need any help with future projects then you have but to ask the question on here.

Brian

Thread: Macc models
07/04/2020 15:07:30

Barrie, I think it's a bit premature and dangerous to assume that! Unless you know something.

Brian

Thread: Hello from Rugby!
07/04/2020 08:07:55

Hello Oliver and welcome to the forum. Davids suggestion of joining your local club is an excellent one because you will have access to lots of information from fellow members and the chance to see and maybe even drive a loco that you might want to build.

There will also be access to a boiler inspector to ensure that your boiler meets the requirements for insurance, which is often included in with the cost of club subs.

You will find with most model engineers that budgets are always tight, we just don't like spending cash!

Brian

Thread: Soft jaws
06/04/2020 18:17:29

I use them occasionally but it's not very often that I need to rechuck for second op but they are extremely useful.

Brian

Thread: Hello and bonjour from france
06/04/2020 15:17:24

Hello Robert and welcome to this wonderful forum.

Apart from the house, are you into any workshop or modelling activities?

Any questions? Just ask away.

Brian

Thread: boiler leak
06/04/2020 10:53:38

Duncan's suggestion is a good one but go gently as soft copper moves very easily.

If it was me I would use my stock of Easy-flo No 3 but as this is no longer obtainable I've waited to reply until I had more info. Well, that came this morning in an email from Johnson-Matthey who say that the equivalent is Argo-braze 502 which is normally used to braze carbide tips but can be used on copper.

It has 50% silver and melts at 660-705 deg C.

This is similar to Easy-flo No 3 but without the cadmium. I always use Tenacity 5 and find that the 'solder' has a very runny component that flows into the gap followed by a more pasty substance that is sluggish and forms a nice fillet and is excellent for making simulated 'castings'.

Brian

Edited By Brian H on 06/04/2020 10:54:18

Thread: New member in Cumbria
05/04/2020 06:52:49

Hello Keith and welcome to this excellent forum. I suppose I'm a Southener compared to you, living near Mansfield.

You have certainly come to the right place to ask questions, you will find most of us are as helpful as can be.

Brian

Thread: New member
04/04/2020 09:16:44

Hello Sam and welcome. I'm a Boxford owner and I'll help if I can.

A good source of info about all sorts of machine tools is;

**LINK**

Brian

Thread: Problem with LED lights
03/04/2020 17:39:20

Several items that should have arrived today......didn't! So I've started cleaning the lathe; only problem is that now I've removed most of the grime on the paint, I can see lots of primer. I don't intend to repaint the lathe just yet but I've started to dismantle the Dickinson style toolpost to clear out years of dirt and swarf. The is a depressed circle in it that I believe should have a Boxford disc in it, I'll have to see if I can get one or else it will be print one and varnish it.

Brian

02/04/2020 20:42:59

I don't think my lathe has a problem with the light colour, it definitely looks very grubby on the paintwork and the metalwork is a definite shade of brown from oil and, I hate to say 'rust ' but there is definitely a brownish tinge to it. I've just found some rust remover called 'Evapo-Rust' and quick rub with a cloth impregnated with it removes at least some of the brown.

Brian

Thread: Stuart Turner D10
02/04/2020 20:35:29

That's an excellent job Jim; not sure about type of boat, it depends on what you like. Presumably you would like the engine to be on display so an open launch of some type would be good.Might be worth having a look at the Model Boat drawing collection.

Would you be going for traditional wooden construction or something in fibreglass?

The other choice could be one of the boats that would normally be built from ply.....but made in metal; more fireproof that way!

Let us know what you decide.

Brian

Thread: Source of Small Extension Springs
02/04/2020 20:28:51

An outstanding response from this wonderful Forum, I have now been offered numerous springs and one is exactly the right size, and all for a donation to the RNLI!

Thank you all.

Brian

Thread: Griptru wil not ad just
02/04/2020 18:07:46

I'm glad this came up as I have an elderly Grip-Tru. Mine has suffered in the past from being adjusted whilst the screws holding the two parts of the chuck together had been overtightened . Following this piece in the M.E. I have dismantled the chuck, cleaned everything and reassembled it taking car not to overtighten any of the screws. It now works much better although the number of times it is used to get metal running dead true is very limited.

Brian

02/04/2020 16:11:43

Many thanks Clive and Bill but I already have one of those and it would work at a pinch but is a bit overscale on a 1.5" inch traction engine.

Brian

Thread: Problem with LED lights
02/04/2020 15:06:30

I've found the problem with LED lights in the workshop since fitting some, my lathe looks terrible. The paint is discoloured and the metalwork badly oil stained!

The paint could be T-Cut but can someone suggest a safe way of restoring the shine to the metalwork?

Brian

Thread: Bottom of the beginners heap
02/04/2020 12:47:33

Welcome Jeffrey, like other I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of the Ideal. As mentioned above, Lathes.co.uk is a good site and may even help you with identifying the other lathe.

Brian

02/04/2020 08:14:22

Just to clarify; 1/16" is the outside diameter, Ashfield Springs (usually my first choice as they are just down the road) do no do springs this small according to their catalogue. The 0.5" is a little flexible ( please excuse the unintended pun), to the centre of the loops or o/a length would make little difference. Ebay revealed nothing approaching this small size, apart from entries from the US of A and the postage is horrendous given that a dozen springs wild fit into the normal letter envelope.

Many thanks to all who replied, I'll keep looking.

Brian

01/04/2020 20:53:10

I need a single extension spring with looped ends with a size of 1/16" inch X 1/2" inch. the only ones I can find are in quantities of 5 minimum and with the postage would cost almost £30.00.

Does anyone know where I might lay my hands on 1 or 2?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
cowells
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest