By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for BDH

Here is a list of all the postings BDH has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New member
18/08/2018 22:18:59

Welcome Ian and congratulations on being given a lathe, that's a good start!. Please ask your questions here and we'll endeavor to help.

It's also worth typing in the keywords of any query, into the search box at the top. If there is something there at least it means that you don't have to wait for an answer.

Brian

Thread: Casting Thicknesses
18/08/2018 16:48:54

Those casting look very good Jason. Many thanks for your time on this.

I've managed to do a rough drawing of my project which is a hind wheel for a Fowell-Box patent traction engine (when I finish my Burrell-Boydell).

I made one of these some years ago and still have all my hand done drawings but I want to make this new one in 1 1/2 inch scale.

Regards, Brianfowell hind wheel casting.jpg

18/08/2018 12:52:06

Many thanks for the replies.

Jason, I'll sort out a drawing and send it to you, your comments and help are very much appreciated.

Brian

17/08/2018 20:38:41

At some time I will need to make a pattern for C.I castings. Now I realise that my question is a 'how long is a piece of string' type but I'm wondering if it will be possible.

The casting is 9" inches dia with 8 off webs around a 1 1/4" dia centre.

The webs need to be 3/16" thick. Will that work or do I need to look at fabrication?

Brian

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
17/08/2018 14:19:05

Finally gave up on Fusion 360. I've never gotten the hang of it. Instead, I've gone back to DesignCad but coughed up the necessary to get the latest version.

I've checked on a free trial version and it will read all the drawings I've done to date in 2D but with the added advantage that it will also do 3D. I've had a dabble at 3D with my old program but didn't consider it worth persevereing with but with 3D printing and machining it may be worth doing.

I'm just waiting to receive the authorisation code.

DesignCad produces outputs that are compatible with Autocad, which might be useful in the future.

Brian

Thread: The Workshop Progress thread 2018
15/08/2018 19:21:42

Silver soldering looks good to me.

Brian

Thread: Are Model Engineering Exhibitions The Same
14/08/2018 13:11:12

I must admit that I agree entirely with the previous comments about rucksacks, B.O. and shirtless men ugh!

Brian

Thread: More Fantastic Service
13/08/2018 12:49:16

I like to give praise where it's due, just as I will complain if the service is poor.

I ordered a die from The Tap & Die Company but soon after found the die I had been looking for, put away in the wrong drawer!

That convinced me that I needed a wooden box to store them in rather than the old tobacco tin that I had been using. I know that T&D sold them as I've dealt with them before so I 'phoned to cancel the die and order an empty box but could get no answer late in the afternoon so , more in hope, left a message.

I was very surprised to get an email from them confirming the cancellation and new order and the box arrived the day after, excellent service!

Brian

Thread: Hello
13/08/2018 12:36:56

Hello Tim and welcome. If you have any questions, ask away, there's bound to be someone on here with the answer, sometimes even the correct one!.

Brian

Thread: Boiler feedwater connections
11/08/2018 07:46:47

I'm interested in the internal sizes of these connections and am seeking opinions.

Does the velocity of feedwater have an influence? Using smaller internal diameters for fittings should make the water travel faster. Is this useful in overcoming the resistance caused by boiler pressure?

Brian

Thread: Dimensions for Ball bearing Valves
10/08/2018 13:32:50

Brilliant Richard, that's exactly what I was after.

Brian

10/08/2018 10:13:39

Is the a formula for the size of hole to ball bearing size on these valves?

Brian

Thread: Hello from St Ives Cambs
09/08/2018 15:30:32

Hello Simon and welcome. I have fond memories of St. Ives and local villages whilst reserching my Fowell-Box traction engine model.

Any questions, just ask and someone will reply with the answer.

Brian

Thread: My Traction Engine Model
08/08/2018 15:08:15
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 08/08/2018 12:46:05:

Blimey, the the Bugatti Chiron is probably the ugliest dog's breakfast of a car I've ever seen. Makes the Allegro look elegant!

Sorry if I've hurt the feelings of any billionaires out there...

Neil

Neil, I'm not a billionare but I agree with you; Etore would be turning in his grave.

Brian

Thread: Engine plans
07/08/2018 13:01:22

Quoting rubbish like;

• 437½ grains in an ounce
  • 16 ounces to the pound
  • 14 pounds in 1 stone
  • 7.142857 stones in 1 hundredweight
  • 20 hundredweights in 1 ton

is to use misleading information to try to make a point.

Brian

Thread: Squealing motor
07/08/2018 08:10:45

If it's belt driven it could be that the belts are slipping.

Brian

Thread: Hello from Dorsten
06/08/2018 08:25:05

Hello Manfred and welcome to the forum. If you have any questions there is sure to be someone on here with the answer.

Brian

Thread: Archdale 18" Vertical Milling Machine
03/08/2018 20:13:03

Hello Tony, have you tried ' Lathes' ? it's not just about lathes.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/

Brian

Thread: Inverter Drives for Motors
03/08/2018 17:35:40

My advice would be to buy from a reputable source.

I recently bought one to power a dual voltage engraving machine and the supplier, Direct Drives couldn't have been more helpful in explaining all the ins & outs. Their webpage has a lot of information but when I got stuck, they quickly sorted out the details I needed and the inverter has worked perfectly since.

I should add that I have no connection with them other than as a satisfied customer.

Brian

Edited By BDH on 03/08/2018 17:36:19

Thread: Hello From Leicester
31/07/2018 19:35:48

Welcome to the forum, I live near Alfreton so not too far away. If you have any questions then ask awy, someone on here is bound to come up with an answer.

Brian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Expo Tools July 14
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
ChesterUK
Warco
Shapiro
TRANSWAVE Converters
SPG Tools October Seventeen
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition