By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian H

Here is a list of all the postings Brian H has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: First Project
14/06/2019 15:16:30

Welcome to this Forum, someone more knowledgeable may come along soon but these people might be able to help.

You could try **LINK**.

They are almost bound to be rail enthusiasts but there may be some traction engine fans and either way, they will know if there are any courses or they may even have their own workshop.

As a previous builder of the Clayton Wagon, I can confirm that it is a good one to build and runs very well. You can always start on easy parts and work your skill level up to the more complicated items.

All the best with it,

Brian

Edited By Brian H on 14/06/2019 15:18:37

Thread: Hi from Huddersfield
14/06/2019 08:26:11

Welcome Chris, as the other Chris says, please post some pictures, especially the Isel, I've not heard of that one.

Brian

Thread: Hi I am Mick and am very interested in the Aveling & Porter Roller
12/06/2019 08:09:01

Hello Mick and welcome. I think you are refering to the 2" Inch M.E. Steam roller by John Haining.

It would help if you could indicate roughly whereabouts you are, there maybe someone nearby who could help.

Brian

Thread: Hi from Mid Lincs
11/06/2019 07:49:00

Hello Peter and welcome from Mansfield, so not too far from you maybe.

There is a Scope machine on **LINK** at the moment but they only have a reproduction catalogue, not a manual.

If the Scope for sale had been 1" inch bigger in both directions, I would have been VERY tempted.

Please keep us updated on progress with it.

Brian

Thread: Hello from Tyneside and micromilling turbine blades
10/06/2019 20:00:29

Hello Mike and welcome. Cannot help with the micro milling of turbine blades but I'm sure someone who can will be along soon.

In the meantime please keep us up to date on progress with this fascinating project.

Brian

Thread: Where to begin?
10/06/2019 08:20:09

(Quote )Also you say that drawings are saved in the cloud. which I didn't know, does this mean you cannot save it elsewhere eg usb stick?

Fusion 360 designs are saved to the cloud but can also be saved on your PC (and presumably on a stick)

Brian

Edited By Brian H on 10/06/2019 08:21:41

Thread: Hi from Norwich
09/06/2019 07:48:27

Welcome to this forum David, we are a friendly bunch with diverse and wide ranging interests who are always happy to come up with answers to any questions you may have.

Brian

Thread: Is CAD for Me?
08/06/2019 19:37:56

Peter, my DesignCad is 2018 64 bit V27 and it's used in Win 10

Brian

08/06/2019 18:55:39

Paul the Cad sells DesignCad and I agree, it's very good.

**LINK**

I'm presently struggling with Fusion 360 but it's getting easier.

Brian

Thread: Hi from Hampshire
08/06/2019 14:34:16

Hello Rob & welcome. I'm sure that there was another new joiner recently who was a woodwind instrument maker and there are certainly other members who will be interested.

Brian

Thread: laser cutting service recommendation
08/06/2019 14:30:09

It depends where you are in the country but there is a sign firm just along the road from me that have cut me some letters in acrylic.

It may be that a sign firm near you could do this but the firm near me is;

Kaydor Signs Ltd

Postcode; DE55 5HT

www.kaydorsigns.com

email; info@kaydorsigns.com

Brian

Thread: New member from Norfolk
05/06/2019 08:16:54

Welcome John, you are clearly no beginner with model engineering. I'll let someone more knowledgeable take you through the ME website.

Brian

Thread: Oh bugger, I told you I was ill
05/06/2019 07:55:59

All the best for a quick recovery Mick.

Brian

04/06/2019 10:34:18

In answer to Nigel, perhaps a 2D program would be more suited, such as DesignCad (one I have used for many years) This is more like an electronic drawing board but with lots of options.

The reason I'm dabbling in Fusion 360 is that I have a set of drawings for a 3 inch Fowell-Box Road Locomotive done with pencil and paper with errors noted on the drawing as 'not to scale', and my plan is to make this engine in 1.5 scale.

My plan is also to have some patterns done by 3D printing and also to try CAM at some much later date.

I found Fusion 360 VERY difficult a first, so much so that I gave up at one point but then tried again after discovering the videos by Lars Christiansen.

Brian

Edited By JasonB on 04/06/2019 16:15:20

04/06/2019 07:57:16

Thanks for the info Boiler Bri (that's such a good name) but I've managed to save the Fusion 360 design as a .jpg.

Now this may be just a pretty picture but in the Fusion 360 program it is possible to take off engineering drawings with whatever dimensions are necessary or to cnc from solid or to have it 3D printed to use as a casting pattern. It is also possible to add it to an assembly and check for fits (but not tried that yet).

It is not an expensive program, it's free to hobbyists and the help from AutoCad is freely available.

Brian

fowell-box hind wheel.jpg

Edited By JasonB on 04/06/2019 16:14:14

Thread: Changing a Senior M1 from Vertical to Horizontal.
04/06/2019 07:16:37

Many thanks for the replies, very helpful.

Brian

03/06/2019 20:21:46

I've tried it and it's brilliant!

I was going to post my latest design but it does not appear to be possible, even as a jpg.

I got started after watching 3 beginners videos by Lars Christiensen.

Brian

Edited By JasonB on 04/06/2019 16:12:31

Thread: New member Suffolk
03/06/2019 17:48:12

Welcome to the forum Tom, you are certain to learn a lot here and there are people willing to give advice on any questions you may have.

Brian

Thread: Changing a Senior M1 from Vertical to Horizontal.
03/06/2019 07:54:23

How easy is it to achieve the above in term of weight and awkwardness of handling of the vertical head?

Brian

Thread: Extreme turning
01/06/2019 15:45:37

10 out of 10 Eric!

Brian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Sarik
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest