By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian H

Here is a list of all the postings Brian H has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Microsoft Pop Ups
17/04/2019 07:45:44

I'm on Windows 10 with Outlook and it happens to me but only occasionally.

Brian

Thread: Copper for boiler construction
15/04/2019 15:29:05

I've always believed that C101 was only a possible problem with oxy-acet, and then only if overheated.

Brian

Thread: Hello From North Carolina
13/04/2019 22:13:42

Hello Gerald and welcome to the forum, it's a great place to be.

Thread: Hello from Yorks
05/04/2019 20:31:57

Hello Bill and welcome from another Boxford user.

Mine's an AUD with a single phase motor and is in need of a minor (I hope) refurb.

Any questions you may have will almost certainly elicit answers on here.

Brian

Thread: M type lathe tumbler reverse
03/04/2019 10:09:07

Thanks for sharing that David, I'm sure it will help one or two of us the consider what looks at first sight, rather tricky jobs and your workmanship is excellent.

Brian

Thread: Hello all from sunny Suffolk
31/03/2019 07:50:01

Hello Bill and welcome to the forum.

Are you intending to make anything specific once the Bridgeport is up & running?

Brian

Thread: Completed models - just out of interest
24/03/2019 08:54:04

I have a friend who is the same Bill, he enjoys making but loses interest once the model is finished and test run.

I'm not quite the same, I have made 3 road vehicles and enjoyed running them at shows but then they needed to be sold to finance the next one.

The 1 1/2 inch Burrell Boydell T.E. that I'm currently working on will be kept as will the 1 1/2 inch Fowell Box engine that is scheduled as the follow up.

One problem with keeping several large models is that you run out of space to store them.

Brian

Thread: Making split bronze bearings [ silver soldering ]
21/03/2019 22:17:35

I agree with Roy, soft solder is best.

Brian

Thread: Parting off tool - straight or angled.
21/03/2019 18:22:45

Thanks Hopper for the info on the rear toolpost, it certainly looks sturday.

I shall have to knock one up as a project when I have time.

Brian

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
21/03/2019 10:28:17

Finally solved my problem with windows updates; I have an identical PC in the workshop that I cancelled the update on.

I've swapped PCs and now don't have a problem because the one in the workshop is only used for quick internet checks for information.

Brian

Thread: Boxford tool post
21/03/2019 07:59:34

I bought mine from RDG. I now have 6 toolholders which gets me by but another couple would be useful.

Brian

Thread: Parting off tool - straight or angled.
21/03/2019 07:43:42

Hello Hopper, I really like the look of your rear tool holder; is it one that came with your lathe or a shop made one?

Brian

Thread: Hello from Hull
21/03/2019 07:35:57

Hello Steve and welcome to this forum. Looks like you're off to a good start with your machinery.

If you have any questions , as you've seen, there are lots of people on here willing to help.

Brian

Thread: Making nameplates
13/03/2019 18:32:24

Hello John, cannot exactly help you with that one but I was in a similar position of wanting nameplates for model traction engines.

I am fortunate in having a sign company locally who took my artwork and lasercut individual letters in Perspex so that I could glue them onto a Perspex background to make a full-sized pattern.

My aim is to use this as a template to follow on my Alexandra engraving machine to produce smaller replicas in brass to suit my models.

This technique could also be used to produce a pattern that could be cast in brass.

I'd already had a professional sign company attempt an etched nameplate but the problem there is the that etchant removes metal sideways, under the artwork, as well as etching the depth, which for a 5" loco would need to be quite deep to look convincing.

Brian

Thread: Newbie Boxford owner saying hello
12/03/2019 20:10:16

Hello Andrew, from a fellow AUD owner.

Brian

Thread: A Clash of Rivets
12/03/2019 19:27:08

Remaining rivets now inserted and silver soldered. I now need to clean it all so that another 114 rings can be place on the outside surfaces and melted in, but that will be MUCH easier. I'm expecting a few leaks that will require remedial work but hopefully the main heating work will be done.

Brian

(PS, I'll put up some pictures whan It looks respectable)

12/03/2019 16:56:04

Came across a problem that I hadn't considered whilst making the boiler for my Burrell-Boydell engine.

I have drilled all the stay holes and the plan was to use 1/8" snap head rivets from the inside of the firebox.

I've made 114 rings of 1/16" silver solder, threaded them onto the rivets and inserted the rivets from inside as planned.

The problems cam in the corners where I could fit the rivets in the sides but I couldn't place rivets front and back in the corners because the side rivets were sticking up by the thickness of the silver solder!

I took a chance on silver soldering by using propane inside the firebox instead of oxy-acet at the clubhouse and it worked, I can now install the missing rivets and heat it all up again.

Some you win!

Brian

Thread: Denham Junior Mk2 Drawbar
12/03/2019 15:30:08

Roger, the 3 MT suggestion is a good one, the small end of one is just over that for 3 MT.

Brian

12/03/2019 15:18:44

Roger, cannot help with this specifically but www.lathes.co.uk/denham/ may. They also say that they have some literature.

Brian

Thread: Hi Everyone
12/03/2019 07:53:00

Hello Betty and welcome. You'll probably know more about electrickery that many on here so you may get a number of queries thrown your way.

Brian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Warco
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest