By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian H

Here is a list of all the postings Brian H has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 3/16 Cast Iron Rod
28/09/2020 16:46:42

Cast iron can be welded with either a nickle filler of an S.G. iron one.

SIF seem to do S.G. iron rods in either 6 or 10mm

Hope that helps

Brian

28/09/2020 16:30:40

Cast iron welding rods are available in 6mm; the problem will be getting a small quantity, unless you need a box full!

Brian

Thread: Hello - coming out of the shadows!
28/09/2020 16:21:21

Hello Joe and welcome.

I can certainly recommend M-DRO. I have a 2 axis unit on a mill but the lathe one is exactly the same as regards the actual readout unit.

Fitting it to their very readable instructions was very easy and there were enough brackets, nut and bolts to finish the job.

Brian

Thread: New member from the USA
28/09/2020 07:08:10

Hello Ronnie and many thanks for the detailed answers to my questions.

Brian

25/09/2020 08:50:52

Hello Ronnie and welcome to this wonderful Forum.

I like the sound of your home shop, plenty of things to play with!

Are you a self taught CNCer or have you had previous experience at work?

I only ask because CNC is something that interests me.

If you have any question at all then please ask on here, someone is almost certainly to come along with the answer.

Brian

Thread: Hi
24/09/2020 15:47:29

Hello Tony and welcome.

Was the Lathes group this one?

https://groups.io/g/BoxfordLathe-UserGroup

Brian

Edited By Brian H on 24/09/2020 15:48:09

Edited By Brian H on 24/09/2020 15:49:29

Edited By Brian H on 24/09/2020 15:49:46

Thread: Herbert No10 Mill - details
24/09/2020 15:25:29

The taper that you have is 1 3/8NS (non-stick) and was the normal taper up to and including WW2. Some dimension of this taper appear in my11th edition of Machinery's Handbook.

The taper is 3 1/2" inches to the foot and the 1 3/8 is the diameter of the large end at the gage line.

The small end parallel portion is 0.800" to 0.790".

Hope that helps a bit.

Brian

Thread: classifieds getting spammed tonite
24/09/2020 06:50:14

I think that this must relate to some strange classifieds that have appeared.

I have reported then to the editor.

Brian

Thread: Herbert No10 Mill - details
23/09/2020 19:34:12

It might be worth giving Steve a ring on this site:

http://premiermachinetools.co.uk/

I have no connection with them apart from being a satisfied customer.

Brian

Thread: Hello Everyone
23/09/2020 17:53:42

Hello Darren and welcome. You'll find plenty of locomotive modelers on here so fire away with any questions.

Brian

Thread: Home workshop accuracy & tolerance?
23/09/2020 16:56:52

Where I first worked things were supposed to fit within a gnats (private parts).

Perhaps that's where the expression "cock on", came from, meaning that the job was just right.

Brian

Edited By Brian H on 23/09/2020 16:59:32

Thread: Hello to exisiting forum members
23/09/2020 13:14:19

Hello Peter and welcome. If you have any questions the post them on here and someone is bound to have an opinion if not an answer.

Brian

Thread: Climb Milling any implications
23/09/2020 13:09:49

Hello Chris, not a naive question at all. The main problem would be the tendency of the cutter dragging the work in unless your mill is fitted with backlash eliminators.

Climb milling usually results in a better finish.

Brian

Thread: Home workshop accuracy & tolerance?
23/09/2020 06:48:48

I try to work as accurately as possible and assess the item when it has been made. Surfaces that 'in air' I would accept within 0.010".

Surfaces in contact with other surfaces I accept within 0.005" if there is no pressure involved.

For pressurised faces with a gasket I try to get within 0.001".

Pressurised faces with metal to metal joints such as steam valves, I would scrape in.

These are all tolerances 'plucked' from the air so to speak.

In practice I find that most faces that are not scraped come within 2 or 3 thou.

I used to be an inspector and Quality Manager in the aircraft industry as well as being a model engineer and I learnt my lesson on my first steam engine where the fits were very accurate and the engine was too stiff to turn at all.

Brian

Edited By Brian H on 23/09/2020 06:55:11

Thread: Hello
22/09/2020 15:56:47

Hello and welcome Mark.

You've certainly come to the right place to ask a question. Most people on here are only too pleased to help.

Brian

Thread: Cheap Oil for hardening
22/09/2020 11:53:55

The correct oil comes from sperm whales but that is probably unobtainable (thankfully) but I have used old engine oil in the past.

You need to make sure that there is plenty of oil to avoid it bursting into flames when you dunk the item into it.

It is impossible to give an idea of quantity because that will depend on the size of the item but assuming that you are hardening small clock parts or tools then 5ltrs should be plenty.

Be careful with the oil as I'm sure that I've read somewhere that it can be carsinogenic.

Brian

Thread: New member introduction
22/09/2020 07:09:09

Hello and welcome to this wonderful Forum.

There are a number of clock enthusiasts on here although my only claim to fame are a couple of repaired marine clocks and a self built long case clock.

Brian

Thread: WARNING Scammer
21/09/2020 20:29:27

Please don't stop Ivy, these alerts are useful. There is now no trace of the items he was 'selling'.

Brian

Thread: Scrappy Haul (50 HSS Pieces)
21/09/2020 14:05:29

Definitely a good buy.

Brian

Thread: Hello everyone
20/09/2020 18:05:17

Hello Al and welcome. Please ask away and there is bound to be people on here who will be only too happy to help.

What sort of projects are you interested in?

Brian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest