By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian H

Here is a list of all the postings Brian H has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Bandsaw blades
21/08/2019 17:56:56

Hello Bill, I have had bandsaw blades for my Proxxon MBS 240 made up by;

http://www.lmcuttingtools.com/LM_Cutting_Tools/L_M_Cutting_Tools_saw_blades.html

This company will make any length of blade.

Brian

Thread: Hello from Chester
21/08/2019 08:22:28

Hello Kevin and welcome to this excellent and friendly forum.

If you have any questions you have but to ask.

Brian

Thread: Garden shed find
18/08/2019 17:49:35

Looks very useful and a good make as well.

Brian

Thread: Digital inclinometers
18/08/2019 17:47:58

Am I right in thinking that 'inclinometer' should more correctly be 'clinometer'?

Pedants of the world unite (assuming that I'm correct of course).

Brian

Thread: Excellent service from Macc Models
17/08/2019 20:00:23

In another thread I relate the sad tale of breaking an 8BA tap.

Well, I ordered a new one from Macc Models at around 15.00 on Friday with delivery by 2nd class post and it arrived at 0800 on Saturday;brilliant service!

And well done to Royal Mail also.

Brian

Thread: Heartbroken!
17/08/2019 17:47:31

Just discovered that I needn't have made the holes blind! They will just go through without leaving a witness in the mating parts.

Also realised tht the two holes that I broke a tap in,needn't have been put in at all.

Must get my brain in gear next time.

Brian

17/08/2019 14:38:32

Many thanks to all on here for the suggestions and offers. I've now managed to secure a small amount.

I first came across alum as a young apprentice with Crossley-Premier Engines. One of my first jobs was to pressure test valve guides which where hollow cast iron castings with water passages to cool the valves on diesel and gas engines.

They were tested to 25psi (as I remember) and any porosity or leaks were fixed by the addition of a teaspoonful of alum which VERY quickly rusted any defects so that a second pressure test could be carried out to ensure no leaks.

Brian

Thread: Stuart Turner #1
16/08/2019 20:17:00

Very nice John, well done,

Brian

Thread: Heartbroken!
16/08/2019 17:57:24

Many thanks for the suggestions all. The material that the broken tap is in is a mixture of brass and gunmetal.

I seem to remember that there is a chemical solution that has been mentioned before on here, that disolves the steel, but I can't remember what it is.

Brian

16/08/2019 15:18:33

As is the 8BA Plug tap that is broken in a 1/8" inch deep blind hole!

Any (sensible) suggestions welcome, as is an offer of spark erosion near Mansfield with a financial contribution from me.

Please don't suggest heating it to red (it's a carbon steel tap) because it's in a silver soldered assembly!

Brian

Edited By Brian H on 16/08/2019 15:25:43

Thread: Hello from Northampton
15/08/2019 15:36:58

Hello Jim and welcome to this wonderful forum. Now that you have the machining capability, what ae you intendng to do with it?

Don't forget, any questions just ask on here.

Brian

Thread: Centec 2A riser block
14/08/2019 16:49:24

Many thanks for the PDF Gary, that's very helpful and very kind.

Brian

Thread: Hieroglyphics on a Wehlen & Co clock face
13/08/2019 17:49:39

I wonder if an approach to the BHI (British Horological Institute) would be useful. They are normally very helpful.

Brian

Thread: Hello from the Cotswolds
13/08/2019 07:56:42

Hello Diogenes and welcome to the forum. What are the intended uses for your workshop and machinery?

Brian

Thread: Tony from Burnley
11/08/2019 20:32:31

Hello Tony, placing the pictures in an album worked, very ingenious!

Brian

11/08/2019 17:41:26

Welcome Tony, there are a number of bikers on here so you may hear from some of them soon.

I for one would be very interested in your helical grinding device. One way to share is to make an album and put your pictures in it. If you look for the green coloured banner at the top of this page, the 4th tab along is albums.

Brian

Thread: Hieroglyphics on a Wehlen & Co clock face
09/08/2019 12:51:43
Posted by Brian H on 09/08/2019 10:11:46:

Many clocks and watches were made for the Turkish market, could the marks be Turkish (although I don't know how you would find out).

Brian

Just remembered; faces intended fr the Turkish market would have had the numerals marked with triangles so maybe the above is wide of the mark!

Brian

09/08/2019 10:11:46

Many clocks and watches were made for the Turkish market, could the marks be Turkish (although I don't know how you would find out).

Brian

Thread: Boiler testers and material verification
07/08/2019 16:57:39

I've designed a couple of boilers in the past and I had all the calculations ready to present to the inspectors at the initial pressure test. No problem with getting the complete set of tests done with the subsequent issue of a boiler certificate..

Brian

Thread: Clock #1
07/08/2019 16:52:13

It's always exciting when it works! Very well done, that's a real incentive to finish it.

Brian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Advertise With Us
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Warco
Meridienne Sept 2019
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest