By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian H

Here is a list of all the postings Brian H has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New to forum
18/01/2020 17:43:31

Hello Neil and welcome. I started out with a Myford 'M' and very good it was too, apart from the 'backwards' saddle travel.

I soon got used to it but it was a devil to adjust to a 'normal' lathe when I upgraded to a Mitchell 6 1/2"

Brian

Thread: New from Essex
17/01/2020 13:59:03

Welcome Mick, I can well appreciate how frustrating it would be if you had access to machinery and now you don't!

All the best with finding your ideal lathe and remember, this is the best place to ask for advice and request help with any particular problem.

Brian

Thread: Chinese DRO opinions
15/01/2020 17:40:18

My mill DRO was supplied by M-DRO and looking at the items it is clear that it is a Chinese made item, so it must have been sent from China!

Brian

Thread: New to Forum
15/01/2020 08:07:37

Welcome to the forum Glyn, it sounds like you are VERY busy with all those projects, I'm struggling with just one!

Brian

Thread: Hello from Luxembourg (with a Russian flavor)
14/01/2020 22:18:42

Welcome Gene to this wonderful site. If you have any questions you have but to ask, and remember, there are no silly questions, just occasionally, silly answers ( but of course, not on this site)

Brian (from England).

Thread: Hello from North Hampshire!
13/01/2020 15:08:01

Welcome Nat, if you have ANY questions just ask.

Brian

Thread: Hi from Sleaford
11/01/2020 11:41:16

Welcome Martin, I'm not a million miles away at Mansfield, Notts. What sort of thing are you into with your workshop?

Brian

Thread: Rivets
08/01/2020 18:04:51

Hello Derek, rivets are ordered by shank diameter, length and head type i.e roundhead (or snap), countersunk, flat etc. and of course, material..

Brian

Thread: New legislation that could affect us all.
08/01/2020 10:08:15

Neil, it's not April 1st.

Brian

Thread: Hello from Norfolk
08/01/2020 08:45:32

David, John Hainings book "Model Traction Engine Construction " explains the function of controls on a model and also includes a section on raising steam and driving so may be useful.

Regards, Brian

07/01/2020 15:24:11

Hello again David, I've sent you a PM (private message).

If you look at the green banner at the top of the page, you will see that one of the tabs is marked 'Inbox'.

Regards, Brian

07/01/2020 07:19:04

Welcome to the forum David. If you have any questions you know where to come.

Brian

Thread: lathe cutting fluid.
05/01/2020 14:45:58

A couple of years ago on this excellent site, someone recomended Castrol Hysol Excel and I tried it because there was a supplier who would supply 1 litre.

It is recomended at 4-6% for machining and 8-10% for tapping. I use it at 20% with deionised water just to be sure and have had no problems.

Brian

Thread: Alexander master toolmaker
03/01/2020 17:54:02

Sorry they didn't work David. No need to return them, just add them to your spare fasteners box. Please let us know how a bespoke one works out.

Brian

02/01/2020 16:18:19

David, I put some pins in the post for you this morning (02-01-2020).

Brian

Thread: Hello from West Yorkshire
01/01/2020 08:13:42

Welcome Steven. What are you hoping to do with your lathe?

Any questions, you know where to come.

Brian

31/12/2019 14:20:13

David, I can let you have 2 or 3 pins at 3,94 at the large end by 32,46 long if they are any use. If so just PM me with your address.

Brian

Or, a search on Ebay has possibilities

Edited By Brian H on 31/12/2019 14:28:03

Thread: Opening a Port
31/12/2019 08:30:31

There are several questions here;

Why do you want to enlarge the ports? unless you are building a 750 racing engine.

How much metal do you want to remove?

Why mess with prewar components? surly the idea of owning a prewar car is to keep it as original as possible.

Brian

Thread: 0-1 Micrometers
29/12/2019 19:46:45

I don't very often use a micrometer these days, preferring the digital six inch rule otherwise known as a digital caliper but I was doing a job that required that little bit more accuracy and so went in one of my measuring instrument drawers for a 0 to 1 mic.

I realised that I have 4 very different ones to choose from and wondered if others might be interested.

The picture shows, at the top, my first mic, a normal sized but elderly Brown & Sharpe.

Below that is my first mic, another Brown & Sharpe but much bigger and heavier.

Next is a quite modern TESA which is the one I normally use and finally, a GKN Shardlow digital but it's a mechanical digital and not an electronic one.

Brian

0-1 Mics

28/12/2019 16:52:28

Well done David, I'm glad that your perseverance has finally paid off.

Brian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
Warco
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest