By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for vintage engineer

Here is a list of all the postings vintage engineer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Bending stainless rod
20/10/2019 14:51:21

Just the sort of jig used for production work in a forge!

Posted by Paul Ainsworth on 20/10/2019 12:38:30:

Revised jig, I'll see how this goes.

img_1263.jpg

20/10/2019 11:50:33

Make a dummy split collet, clamp it solid in a vice and use a oxy propane pepper pot burner to heat it up and the bend to suit. Afterwards pack in dry sand to allow it to cool slowly.

Never cool any steel in water as this could cause chemical changes or hardening. Even mild steel will change it's structure. Unless the steel is "new" you don't know what else is in the steel!

Modern cars now contain all sorts of exotic steels and when the cars are scrapped most of them go through a frag machine which grinds up the steel ready for recycling. This material contains boron, vanadium, chrome, nickel and high carbon steels. This all goes into the pot for mild steel.

Unless you can find a supplier who supplies new steel you really don't know what your buying.

If I need a specific grade of steel I ask for a Certificate of Conformity and the steel is normally more expensive.

Thread: Limiting pressure to a gauge
20/10/2019 11:33:53

This is a 1910 engine with open oil galleries drip feeding the main bearings and dippers feeding the big ends. The oil is pumped down the exhaust cam, which has oil ports drilled to line up with the galleries as the came rotates. There is no pressure relief valve and it is quite common on early engines not to have one. These engines have large oil pumps and work by supplying a large volumes of oil, rather than low volumes and high pressure.

18/10/2019 10:39:19

Thank you all for you advise. I will do some experiments with restrictors or pegging the gauge. The engine is a Dennis Brothers engine and is one of four experimental engines they made for testing a new design, so information is non existing!

I spoke to John Dennis and he checked his records and confirmed that all four engines were scrapped! We think someone sold them out the back door instead of scrapping them!

Posted by Hopper on 18/10/2019 09:15:41:

They wouldn't have had relief valves and restrictors back in 1910. Just do what the original manufacturer did. Must be information available somewhere. Or others on the net with same kind of engine. Probably just let the gauge peg when cold and carried on regardless. Lot of that old stuff was pretty crude yet still functioned.

Most vintage Harley engines are much the same. If you fit an oil pressure gauge it pegs it on cold start up then settles down to 10psi running pressure. The gauges seem to survive.

Edited By Hopper on 18/10/2019 09:17:22

Thread: Anyone know about buying freehold to a house in the north
16/10/2019 22:18:28

If they are going to sell it on the open market there must room for profit. If you decide to sell your property the landlord can charge you to reassign the lease to the purchaser.

I would read the lease very carefully.

Posted by Ian Parkin on 16/10/2019 20:53:08:

Bill

its the church actually

They say if i dont buy within a month they will assume i dont want to and then put it on the open market

next question...... Why would some company want to buy it ?

Surely not for the privilidge of invoicing me for £6 every year

This cant go up for 800~+ years

Theres no covenents saying I have to ask to do anything to the said house

Its in a conservation area so not much scope fro extending

Thread: Limiting pressure to a gauge
16/10/2019 21:39:22

I am rebuilding a 1910 5 litre petrol engine. On start up the oil pressure peaks at 70 psi but the running pressure is 15 psi. I need to limit the pressure reaching the gauge on start up as the gauge only reads to 30 psi?

Edited By vintage engineer on 16/10/2019 21:40:16

Thread: Anyone know about buying freehold to a house in the north
16/10/2019 19:10:22

Buy it or someone else might buy it and impose charges on you!

Thread: What are these pliers for
14/10/2019 21:19:23

Obviously not used by engineers!

Thread: diameter calculation
10/10/2019 21:21:44

I will work it out in cad  for you. I make it 75.12mm diameter.

Edited By vintage engineer on 10/10/2019 21:37:15

Thread: Bright EN24T steel vs Black EN24T for cutting gears
08/10/2019 22:24:25

Make sure the black bar has enough material to machine to size.

Thread: Alternative metal sources?
06/10/2019 21:07:28

When I worked in the engineering dept of a major high street bank, I managed to get the most valuable thing possible in the company. A letter from a director authorising me to take anything I liked from the scrap skips! As I was responsible for what went into the skips this was like winning the lottery!

Thread: Wiring a CAV dynamo
05/10/2019 21:00:30

Anyone know how to wire this dynamo. It has 3 terminals Plus, Minus and an unmarked one in the middle.dynamo

Thread: Alternative metal sources?
05/10/2019 20:13:56

HD White on Ford Airfield West Sussex.

Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 23/09/2019 10:38:18:
Posted by vintage engineer on 23/09/2019 09:58:38:

I buy brass, bronze and ali from my local scrap merchant at very reasonable prices.

Where is it? Just what we're all after!

Always worth asking around, but my local scrap merchant is only interested in buying metal, not selling it in small quantities. 30 years ago you could wander around, dismantle cars for parts, explore the bins and offer cash for interesting surplus equipment. Now the site is surrounded by razor wire and patrolled by aggressive dogs. It's not set up to deal with casual purchasers. Not a particularly good source of hobby metal either - too few manufacturing offcuts in my part of the world alas.

Dave

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 23/09/2019 10:39:17

Thread: Hand or Machine Reamers?
04/10/2019 17:44:02

Machine reamers can cut over size if everything isn't square.

Thread: Final drive toothed belts?
04/10/2019 17:40:06

Use two with offset pulleys!

Thread: Battery charger problem
02/10/2019 18:59:38

One of our local council dumps has twice burnt down due to piles of Lithium Ion batteries catching fire!

Thread: Antique car electrics
30/09/2019 18:45:05

Not sure. I will have a look at the weekend

Posted by Jeff Dayman on 30/09/2019 11:59:55:

Vintage Engineer - do you have any pictures of the connectors on the back of your switch on your 1914 Peugeot? One of the things we are doing on the 1926 machine is replacing the perished zinc die castings of the housing with machined aluminum ones. The originals have completely disintegrated by expanding internally and crumbling. As this happened the electrical connections fell out and were lost. We do plan to replace the connectors with bronze conductor parts and modern plastic insulators but would like to know what the originals looked like. Thanks again.

30/09/2019 10:14:10

I have a 1914 Peugeot! Redsetter is correct on all accounts!

Thread: Whitesmiths Shop
29/09/2019 21:56:17

Yes as a retired blacksmith I once had a long discussion with a black gentleman as why I wasn't a whitesmith! Whitesmiths work with"white" metals, eg, tin, zinc, pewter. and lead.

Thread: Boiler build abandoned !
27/09/2019 20:01:50

I use oxy propane for silver soldering and never have a problem. You can even unsolder joints. High localised heat is the trick to silver soldering.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Allendale Electronics
cowells
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest