By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Perko7

Here is a list of all the postings Perko7 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Crank pins
12/07/2020 09:35:15

Thinking logically, it doesn't really matter what position they are as long as the external cranks on one side of the engine are at 90 degrees to those on the other side. The inside cranks turn the axle which in turn (pardon the pun) turns the wheels. The outside cranks are simply transferring that rotating motion from the driving wheels to the driven wheels on the other axles. Having those at a different orientation to the inside cranks should not make any difference.

Thread: Butterfly Bolt or Thumb Screw
07/07/2020 12:00:45

yes

06/07/2020 13:18:22

Using a suitably long bolt, thread a butterfly nut onto the end until just fully engaged, silver solder in position, then cut off the head. I've used that process to make metric hex-head bolts in various sizes not available commercially. For most model engineering uses you will strip the thread before you break the silver solder bond.

Thread: We need Pi
05/07/2020 13:02:24

Maybe I'm good with numbers but I've never had any trouble remembering Pi as 3.14159 since learning it back in about 1968. 22/7 doesn't come close, and 355/113 is even harder to remember.

I can also quote from memory the registration plate number for most cars I have owned, my bank account, health care card, drivers license and several other numbers that I use with varying frequency.

I'm pretty normal otherwise......laugh

Thread: Yipee the F1 is back on
01/07/2020 07:25:20

Just finished reading a biography on Jack Brabham. Some of the comparisons between his cars and those built by Lotus, Ferrari, Maserati, etc in the early 60's are quite illuminating. Very little custom manufacture except the body. Engines were sourced from other makers, as were gearboxes, hubs, brakes, driveshafts, instruments etc, supplemented by bits and pieces made in their own workshop by Jack himself or Ron Taurenac. Racing budget of $10,000 Australian per year compared with about 10 times that for Ferrari and he still beat them hands down.

Totally different ball game today, with so much driven by expensive technology and corporate sponsorship leaving little room for private developments.

Thread: TOOL BOXES
01/07/2020 07:14:24

I use a variety of old kitchen cabinets and chests of drawers. Some of the drawers are fitted with internal dividers for holding small containers (used plastic pill bottles) of BA screws etc, other drawers have separate containers in them made from cut down plastic milk containers (square or rectangular) for miscellaneous bits and pieces. I can fit about 8 or 10 such containers in each drawer.

Lathe cutting tools are in assorted cardboard or tin boxes, as well as the boxes they came in, stored in an old china cabinet under the lathe bench. Drills likewise. Other hand tools are kept in assorted plastic containers (Tupperware style) or recycled kitchen baking trays etc stacked on shelves or in drawers.

Hopefully the imminent move to a new house (with a new empty shed) will allow some better accommodation to be provided for such things.

Thread: Workshop Photography Competition
13/06/2020 13:29:53

I would love to enter the comp but the only picture I could send in would be of me sitting forlornly in front of my computer typing this post because all my workshop equipment has been in storage for the last 7 months as we negotiate a house move sad.

Thread: Does anyone view this forum by first selecting a 'topic'?
13/06/2020 13:22:50

I generally check 'latest posts' about once a day to see if anything interesting has popped up. Like Ian P I open each post in a new tab. If I want to find something specific then I will use the search engine. If I'm not sure what the topic heading might be I will just enter a keyword eg 'files' and search all topics but sometimes if it's a topic I already know then I will enter that as well. Usually works fine for me.

Thread: A red face and a bottlejack
09/06/2020 09:17:46

My dad always told me that when jacking up a car to change the wheel, always put the spare wheel under the side sill of the car while jacking up so that, if the jack slips while the crook wheel is off, the car won't hit the deck. Still using a bottle jack of indeterminate age (certainly over 80 years old) which has never failed but you can't be too careful.

Thread: Macro-photography
03/06/2020 08:04:36

Try this site: **LINK**

Not mine, but outstanding images regardless.

Thread: Mystery casting
03/06/2020 08:00:01

Uniflow steam engine with poppet valves on the inlets? Seem to recall some one of the steam cars described in ME in the late 50's had something like this. Don't think it would be any of the main designers of that period (LBSC, Martin Evans etc)

Thread: Frustration in taking photos using my Galaxy A20e mobile phone
30/05/2020 08:09:34

Some android phones do not respond well to cold digits. I could not use my earlier Motorola phone when holidaying in Tasmania during winter as I could not keep my fingers warm enough to activate the touch screen after a minute or so of use. I have a similar problem with i-pads and tablets. Maybe I'm a reptile in disguise......? In contrast, my latest phone, a Galaxy S10e, does not seem to demonstrate any such problem (so far, our winter is just starting so maybe it's too early to be sure....)

Thread: Arc welding rods
29/05/2020 07:10:11

Interesting. A friend had a bunch of rods which he kept in an old bucket. During a storm it filled with water and he didn't know it until the next time he wanted to do some welding which was a couple of weeks later. Took the rods out of the bucket, left them in the sun to dry (being in Queensland that didn't take too long) and just used them like normal. I used a few as well, never noticed any difference compared with new rods other than needing to clean the rust off the end before putting it in the handpiece.

Thread: How are your clubs responding to Coronavirus
20/05/2020 11:53:14

Just to update the Grandchester club activities following my original post, we had to suspend all activities the following week in order to meet the Governments recommended restrictions. To maintain compliance with our lease agreement some working bees were held to mow the grass and trim around the fence lines, but with a maximum of 2 people on site at a time. Now that the Qld Government is starting to relax the restrictions, we have been able to hold our first 'proper' working bee last weekend along with our first committee meeting since early March. We hope to have a 'members only' running day in July and to return to public running for our birthday/anniversary day in August, provided that the progressive relaxations proposed by the Qld Govt happen as planned. Fortunately our ongoing costs at this time of the year are relatively small, so the loss of income from running days has not affected us too much.

Thread: Mount St. Helens
20/05/2020 11:16:38

Hard to imagine that was 40 years ago now, seems much less.

Thread: First grandchild, which book?
19/05/2020 09:27:26

I would also recommend Hairy McLary, there are about 6 stories in the series, my grand-daughters loved them.

Thread: Lathe work
16/05/2020 23:14:52

IMO either the headstock is not exactly aligned with the bed, or the bed is not straight, or the carriage is not running true on the bed. Is there some movement in the carriage at either end of it's travel? Did you take up any slack in the carriage before measuring? Do you use the leadscrew or the carriage handle to move the carriage? Either of these can introduce very small variations in carriage alignment. Does the test bar line up with a centre in the tailstock? If you run the test bar between centres do you get the same result? A few more tests like these will eventually direct you to the source of the error.

Thread: How are your clubs responding to Coronavirus
16/05/2020 12:12:18

Our club at Grandchester (west of Brisbane, Qld, Australia) has been closed since the restrictions were imposed, although a couple of members have been going out to the grounds individually to carry out essential maintenance so that the terms of our lease are met (mowing and general tidy up) while a couple of others have taken the opportunity to carry out alterations to the main station shelter and the signal systems without the interruption of passenger hauling, all working independently at different times with no more than 2 people on site at any time. We had our first committee meeting today now that some of the restrictions have been eased, but no idea when public running might resume, probably not until August provided there is no 'second wave'. We don't have clubrooms as such or club meetings other than for public running and working bees, so there has been very little other 'club' activity.

Thread: Sharpening Files
13/05/2020 12:11:41

On a related subject, cleaning files rather than sharpening them. I have a set of needle files marked 'Diamond Brand Made in the Peoples Republic of China'. They are about 40 years old and have seen a lot of abuse over the years. Most of them are still good but one or two have become badly clogged with bits of soft metal such as aluminium, solder, diecast zinc and other assorted materials used in a variety of model railway and household objects. I would really like to clean them up a bit but don't want to damage whatever residual cutting edge they still have. Some have recovered through being used for filing bits of steel which has cleaned out the grooves nicely, but others have so far resisted that treatment. Any suggestions for how I might go about this which does not involve scraping out individual grooves using wedges of brass under a magnifying glass? Thanks

Thread: Cabinets
11/05/2020 08:28:28

Or put substantial rails (eg unistrut or similar) running along under the feet of the lathe bed to transfer the weight to the load bearing locations? Might interfere with sweeping out swarf and/or flow of coolant to drain points but likely that could be overcome with a little thought. Bonus is raising the height of the lathe a little as I found my Sieg C6 with supplied stand about 75-100mm too low for comfort. Put the whole stand on 75 SHS rails with rubber pads under to protect the floor as well as stop the machine from wandering.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest