By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Perko7

Here is a list of all the postings Perko7 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Crystal Ball Gazing
19/07/2019 09:36:26

Can't help but wonder how the scientists can state with such certainty what the atmospheric CO2 levels and sea temperatures were for anything more than about 400-500 years ago, as I doubt that the scientific understanding of our atmospheric processes and the means to measure them would have existed before then? Even the data that is recorded from those times needs to be treated cautiously as there may not have been the same level of accuracy in measuring and recording, and possibly no standardised calibration available for instruments of those eras compared with today.

Thread: What started your interest?
17/07/2019 06:33:19

Always been into model railways from as young as I can remember. My grandfather was workshop foreman for the Post-Master General (PMG) in Brisbane and had a lathe and a collection of ME magazines I would read avidly whenever we visited. The lathe was passed on to me when he and my grandmother died, sat in my garage under a tarp for about 20 years until I had the time and finances to set it up and consider making something with it. That was about 10 years ago, still learning, still loving it. Workshop has a few more machines now but grandfathers old lathe still takes pride of place.

Thread: Remembering Apollo 11
17/07/2019 06:23:08

I was a bit older, around 14 I think. My step-mum actually worked at the in the Vehicle Assembly Building at the Kennedy Space Centre during that period and remembers seeing the various components of the Saturn IV and Saturn V rockets passing through, as well as the astronauts and support staff. She was then moved in 1968 to Cape Canaveral and remembers all the staff gathering around in the mission control room to watch various launches of the Saturn V rockets. She left there in June 1969 after getting married so just missed the launch of Apollo 11.

Thread: A little rant about Emojis and their kin
17/07/2019 06:03:46

I think emoji's are a consequence of the rise of electronic communication where the message is devoid of the tonal inflections and facial expressions that accompany face-to-face speech and therefore lack any contextual reference.

I use them occasionally where the brevity needed, particularly in text messages on phones, precludes the use of expansive phrases and therefore an appropriate emoji at least helps to articulate the intent of the communication.

That being said, I could happily live without them and go back to writing lengthy letters, but how many these days would be bothered to invest the time in reading them??

Thread: Norton anti virus
09/07/2019 13:05:43

I've always used Trend Micro, at least for the last 10+ years. I've had no compatibility problems with any hardware or other software, I get timely reminders to renew, usually with cheap deals if you renew before it's due. It's easy to renew or upgrade online, easy to customise to my needs, and basically hassle-free. Usual disclaimer.

Thread: What method do you use to find center height for your lathe bit?
27/06/2019 12:34:56

I faced off a piece of bar and measured the center height from the top of the cross-slide. I then wrote this value on the top of the cross-slide in indelible ink. I usually have a vernier caliper sitting in the tool tray so I just rest the end on the tip of the tool and drop the depth gauge to the top of the cross-slide and adjust with shims (no QCTP) until it matches the written value. This makes up for differences in grinding of the cutting edge and using tools of different size. Where possible I try to keep the right number and size of shims with each tool or tool-holder but they invariably get separated and I have to run through the whole routine again. I have a couple of tool-post blanks which I intend to machine to size and pre-mount cutting tools into, and set to the right height, so all I need to do then is swap tool-posts when I want to change tools.

Thread: Yesterdays Car Boot Haul! Odd items
24/06/2019 13:37:12

Sorry, I too was replying to the OP but did not notice the subsequent replies which also answered the question! At least we all came up with the same answers laugh.

24/06/2019 13:34:55

The 'Smallman' branded article is a wire rope clip for attaching a skip to an endless rope haulage system. Refer to the article on the website below:

https://outoftheblueartifacts.com/endless-haulage-rope-clip

Thread: Historic Frogs
20/06/2019 12:32:22

Ethel the Frog (Monty Python) ??

Prince Naveen (Princess and the Frog - Disney movie) ??

Thread: Sieg C6, Grizzly G0516, Hare & Forbes AL-60 Metal Lathe Modifications
15/06/2019 11:19:39

Excellent, thanks for that.yes

Thread: Thomas from Hornby
14/06/2019 09:38:55

Sounds like he could be a 'contestant' in the Monty Python 'Blackmail' game show laugh

Thread: Sieg C6, Grizzly G0516, Hare & Forbes AL-60 Metal Lathe Modifications
14/06/2019 09:27:51

Hi Blue Heeler, I also have a Sieg C6, about 3 years old now, very happy with it so far. Could you tell me how you made your carriage lock please as that is something I would like to add to mine.

Thanks.

Thread: Where to begin?
10/06/2019 08:08:43

I already have AutoCad 2016 which I use for 2D drafting but it also has a 3D component which I have seen others use quite competently at my previous employment (alas I had moved away from CAD work by that time). Does anyone in this forum use AutoCad 3D? I've tried a couple of simple things but did not get very far.

Thread: Horizontal Bandsaw - Final Thoughts
10/06/2019 08:04:35

To answer your second question, I have a horizontal bandsaw that can be used in the vertical position. The only issues I have found with doing this are 1) you will need to make a larger rest around the sawblade to support what you are cutting, 2) access to the blade is a little awkward as you have to lean across the remainder of the machine (this might be easier on a machine with a swivel head as you can turn it to 45 degrees making access easier), and 3) all the bits of swarf fall into some inaccessible parts of the machine needing a vacuum cleaner with a small nozzle to get them out. Other than that it seems to cut quite well in that position.

Thread: Quicksilver
04/06/2019 00:42:58

There are still a few mercury arc rectifiers in use at tramway and trolleybus museums around the world. Brisbane Tramway Museum has one with a glass chamber which is used every time they run. They used to leave the substation door open so visitors could see the glow from the glass chamber, not sure if they still do this.

Thread: Oh Dear, I've blown the chop saw...
26/05/2019 06:25:29

Before you consign the chop saw to the scrap-head, don't forget to retrieve all the useful bits (bearings, gears, shafts, and anything else that might come in *handy* one day). wink

Thread: What do YOU call it?
23/05/2019 13:29:13

Pottering or tinkering mainly, sometimes tidying up, occasionally playing and every now and then actually 'working' which usually means fixing something that is needed for other 'essential' household or yard chores.

Thread: Door knob collar
16/05/2019 11:11:44

Original probably stamped, but would metal spinning over a suitable former be a better solution? I know very little about it other than what I've read in some books but it seems like a possibility.

Thread: Chinese Lathes
09/05/2019 06:59:59

I would give my C6 a 5 out of 5 star rating

Edited By Jim Dobson 1 on 08/05/2019 01:27:18

I also have a Sieg C6 purchased new from Ausee at Christmas 2016 and have had very few problems and it has done everything asked of it. The only downsides compared with my other lathe (a 1929 3.5" Ideal) are the lack of back-gear, lack of a handwheel on the leadscrew, and lack of lever-locking tailstock but those are relatively minor disadvantages. As a similar self-taught (late in life) swarf-maker I'm more than happy with it.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
27/04/2019 12:15:07

Finally got around to silver-soldering some steel components of my built-up coupling rods. Only chose this method due to lack of ready access to a milling machine to mill from solid.

Surprised how easy it was once I had sufficient heat. Ended up putting too much solder in some areas as it flashed through the gaps very quickly once melted so I was a bit unsure of whether there was enough to make a solid joint, hence added a bit more 'for good measure'. Turns out I shouldn't have.

Despite all advice about needing absolute cleanliness, managed to solder in solid some temporary spacers made from black mild steel that had only had the mill scale cleaned off with vinegar and were otherwise untouched. Seems like Tenacity flux works pretty well even on dirty steel.

Now to clean up, drill and ream holes for bushes and fit to loco. Will post some photos when they look decent enough.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Meridienne Sept 2019
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest