By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian Sweeting

Here is a list of all the postings Brian Sweeting has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Dialect expressions
13/04/2019 23:45:08

After working in and moving to Devon came across...

Where you to? As in, where do you come from/live?

Back along. As in, a while ago.

Thread: French Mystery Tool
11/04/2019 22:15:00

Are we unique I wonder?

We travel around and buy odd bits of metal that have no obvious use to us but whose sole purpose is to start a debate down the pub on a quiet afternoon.

Thread: Is there a way to mask silver solder
08/04/2019 13:46:49

Try Tippex.

Thread: AC Capacitor
05/04/2019 16:18:42

Thank you for the update, always good to know when a problem is resolved.

Thread: Using a propane cylinder for partable compressed air.
04/04/2019 16:41:12

Your cylinder should have the test pressure stamped on it somewhere.

It's probably a low pressure cylinder so the test pressure would have been around 480 - 500 psig.

Thread: Electric Motor
03/04/2019 20:53:25

Having read the writeup on lathes.co I think it is refering to early electric motors.

It should be remembered that every motor start generates heat and the motor needs to run for a reasonable time to dissipate that heat. Frequent stop/starts will kill a motor over time.

Also a motor running without a load will often run at above full load current which is not good for the motor.

Thread: Unusual miniature
01/04/2019 09:19:38

I would imagine that there is a differential driving the two tracks with brakes on the drive shafts.

You can see that he doesn't need to 'spin' the steering, just turn it a small amount.

Thread: Dishwasher detergents
30/03/2019 18:58:11

Haven't tried Aldi but swear by the ones from Lidl

Thread: LED replacement bulbs
30/03/2019 18:54:58

I've just bought some 106W halogen bulbs from thelightbulb.co.uk , equiv to 150W for a limited sight lady friend of ours.

So, if you look you can still buy proper bulbs.

Thread: Myford workshop Manual
29/03/2019 18:50:13

A good start would be lathes.co.uk **LINK**

Thread: Odd furrow like finish when taper turning?
26/03/2019 14:37:44

Apron tight?

Thread: AC Capacitor
26/03/2019 14:34:44
Posted by john fletcher 1 on 26/03/2019 14:19:10:

Hello Raphael, I note Dave Davies 8 say he bought a capacitor and start relay. Has your compressor start relay got 3 pins on it similar to a fridge start relay, if so check it before buying a new capacitor, as you have the symptoms of a faulty relay. You mentioned the hum and then turn off, which I think the overload is switching things off ,because the start winding is not being energised.due to a faulty relay. Usually the capacitance value is printed on the cap can.John

Good comment John, I must admit when I was on the fridge tools it was standard practice to replace the complete starter kit, relays, capacitors etc, when one item had failed.

It wasn't worth the cost risk to skimp on the starter kit compared with blowing the compressor.

25/03/2019 23:58:01
Posted by RAPHAEL VAL GOLEZ 1 on 25/03/2019 23:11:37:

Thanks Simon, great help. I hope this is an easy fix as I really valued this old compressor. Jus another follow up question, do I need a motor start or motor run capacitor? Is the 450 volts to high for the 270 that I have? I appreciate your explanation, I just don't want to blow things up or fry the motor.

If you have motor start capacitor there should be a resistor fitted across it. If not then it is probably a motor run capacitor so make sure that you specify it as a 'motor run' item.

Thread: Unusual knurling tool
22/03/2019 19:26:53

Plasma, one use in clock making that I can think of would be knurled clock case feet but seems kind of expensive for that.

Thread: Calculating piston length
13/03/2019 14:27:06

Perhaps machine a Delrin piston first to see how it fits before the final metal version.

Thread: Myford Lathe on Ebay
11/03/2019 11:13:06
Posted by Bazyle on 10/03/2019 22:42:56:
Posted by Brian Sweeting on 10/03/2019 22:33:29:

Seeing this thread content may I ask if it is okay to post links from Facebook?

That's up to Neil really but I would suggest people resist the temptation. There are half a dozen lathes, plus mills and so on newly listed every single day so we would be inundated and just turn into a repeater function for adverts. Not really what the forum is for.

Fair comment, thanks.

10/03/2019 22:33:29

Seeing this thread content may I ask if it is okay to post links from Facebook?

Of late there have been a few lathes and mills for sale in my area, Newton Abbot / Torquay, which may have been of interest to some.

Thanks, Brian

Thread: Tube Notching
04/03/2019 13:39:14

AJ 1, very many years ago I worked for a firm that made tubular steel trolleys and the tubes were notched on a machine providing a similar method to the one that you are proposing.

If memory serves, it had a rotating cutter like a milling tool but mounted horizontally The tube was clamped into a movable vise and pushed onto the cutter.

Maybe make a sliding plug to go inside your tube so that a spare(?) drill chuck could be used to hold the non cutting end of the tube and improve your grip.

Thread: E bay
24/02/2019 12:27:43

Seems fine to me using Chrome on a tablet.

Have you tried clearing your computer cache? Sometimes helps.

Thread: Modern equivellent idea's please
14/02/2019 17:23:22

If you need new mounts for that motor try Remco......

**LINK**

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
Advertise With Us
Meridienne Sept 2019
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest