By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian Sweeting

Here is a list of all the postings Brian Sweeting has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Motor for Chester Champion Mill
11/09/2017 21:00:49

Can't help wondering about the cause of your motor failures, reading back through some of your posts it appears that your lathe motor had some problems too.

It might be worthwhile taking the failed motor to a rewind company and ask for a post mortem report on it.

Do you have stable power supply to your workshop?

Thread: Links to Gumtree tools
10/09/2017 12:45:39

Okay, thanks,  I fully understand which is why I asked the question.

Shame I can't get it down my garden otherwise I might have to start sweet talking her indoors.

09/09/2017 21:22:35

Is it allowed to post a link to an advert on the Gumtree site which is nothing to do with me?

I've just spotted an ML7 for sale which may be of interest to someone here.

Thread: Overview of Lubrication and Oil Types
09/09/2017 16:41:21

Looks like a good read, thanks.

Thread: mini lathe tools
08/09/2017 20:14:47

The centre pip is because your tool is not on the centre line, takes practice but you'll get there.

Thread: Myford gravity cutting fluid delivery?
08/09/2017 16:54:22

Not a new idea but a good drip oiler.

See Emmas' igram picture here ..

**LINK**

Thread: mini lathe tools
08/09/2017 16:48:40

I would read the advice on tooling given in your other thread.

Thread: Setting Zero on Mitutoyo digital micometer
08/09/2017 16:45:13

You say that you have closed the mic, should you not be using the calibration block to set the origin?

Thread: Turning a rectangular plate into a circular one
07/09/2017 21:10:17

Or, you could use a hole saw in a drill to form the large diameter and then transfer to the lathe for completion.

Thread: Welded chain suppliers?
06/09/2017 21:15:52

Don't know if any here are suitable...

**LINK**

Thread: Wire Gauge to Millimeters on old plans
02/09/2017 13:47:00

Mike click on the icon ^ above (4th from right hand side) when using the post/reply box and paste your link address into the box.

Brian

Posted by Mike on 02/09/2017 10:53:55:

Came across this when helping my wife sort out some old knitting patterns and needles given to her by a friend. There's a really useful website at

https://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/wire_gauge/needleUK.html?u=needleUK&v=18 Just type in the SWG, and you get mm to three places of decimals.

That seems complicated - can someone teach me how to get these web addresses to appear as "Link"?

Edited By Mike on 02/09/2017 10:59:04

Edited By Brian Ess on 02/09/2017 13:48:01

Thread: Leaking taper-cock valves
29/08/2017 15:40:41

What sealant are you using in the valve? Is it suitable for the temperature/pressures?

Thread: Linisher cuts out, what to do...?
29/08/2017 15:20:07

It's one of those things I think as we, non-electrical types, confuse ourselves with is that fuses are there to protect the cable not the item on the end if the cable.

With smaller loads such as table lamps or computers we follow recommendations and perhaps fit 3 or 5 amp fuses on a cable that could support a 13amp load.

In the case of motors etc the high current inrush at the start is of such a short duration that the cable can absorb the over current but a 'standard' fuse/mcb cannot.

Anyway, glad to hear/read that Axminster have clarified to unit requirements.

28/08/2017 20:55:12

Richard, agreed your electrician should be aware of the requirements but a "domestic" might not 'naturally' think about that side of things.

A type C is the minimum needed.

**LINK**

Thread: UK or chinese source for ER20 collet nut "hook/c" spanner
28/08/2017 20:36:36

I thought ER20 chucks were spanner flats not notched.

Thread: Linisher cuts out, what to do...?
27/08/2017 18:36:02

Remember that you want a motor rated MCB fitted.

26/08/2017 22:16:08

Sorry, just reread my post above, should of course read "13amp" not 24.

26/08/2017 21:00:32

An approximate inrush current for that size motor would be 40 odd amperes so I'm not surprised that the little 24amp fuse keeps blowing.

A proper overload and mcb need fitting.

Mind you, it could have a faulty starting capacitor and we're all barking up the wrong tree.

Thread: Chinese Electric Cars
22/08/2017 20:43:35

I see in the newspaper today the electrical suppliers are saying that the average UK household will be unable to recharge an electric car in a reasonable time because the main fuse is undersized.

Or, you can charge it but not boil a kettle or heat water at the same time.

Thread: (Tooling design help please) Die Cutting / Punching non ferrous sheet
22/08/2017 20:39:12

Russ B, industrial heat exchangers such as air conditioner coils use aluminium fins over copper tube.

Their process however uses thin wall tube, the fins are positioned and then a ball bearing, eg, is pushed down the tube to make it slightly oversize and thereby grip the fins.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Warco
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest