By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian Sweeting

Here is a list of all the postings Brian Sweeting has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Comments??
08/02/2018 15:54:58

Unfortunately the original post did not mention any context but merely asked "Comments?"

What on ?

Thread: 'Intelligent' Battery Chargers
29/01/2018 15:25:51

It may not be a name that s in common use with car owners but Oxford Battery chargers are used a lot in the motorcycle world. They do operate on car batteries as well.

Not cheap but I've been happy with mine.

**LINK**

http://www.oxford-shop.co.uk/cat267_1.htm

Thread: Budenberg Dead Weight Pressure Tester
25/01/2018 23:31:20

Thanks for the info Ian.

25/01/2018 19:08:26

Surely miniature pressure gauges can only be used as simple indicators.

Looking at a picture of a 0-80psi gauge the gauge needle appears to have a width covering about 6psi.

Can that tester be used to test pressure relief valve settings? If so then that should be the way to go.

24/01/2018 14:18:18

As you say the small gauges are by nature only an indicator, the range between index marks being guessed by the user.

Start by getting a decent gauge and calibrate it with your new toy.

Make a test manifold to hold your new 'test' gauge and any other gauges to be tested. This way you tested is mobile and its accuracy can be traced back to the dead weight tester.

A simple air pressure pump can be made, or purchased, to go with the test manifold.

Thread: Cat Litter Recommendation
20/01/2018 22:14:03

Never thought what the litter was made of when our cat used it but I see that Wilkos do a fullers earth so might be worth a try.

Thread: Advice on rotary burrs for cast iron use.
19/01/2018 11:58:49

Just had a quick Google, feel better now - thanks for asking, and came across this which might help...

**LINK**

Thread: George Punter of Queensland
16/01/2018 17:59:14

If you search on Australian White Pages you might find him...

Thread: My new mini lathe
11/01/2018 14:52:25

Might just be big enough to face dress the battery from the caliper.

Thread: tv tonight Monday
09/01/2018 23:20:00

Watched it and in the main enjoyed it.

However why is it that todays programme directors insist on generating false terror?

I was beginning to get the impression from the narrator that the pilot wasn't capable of flying the mission which was rubbish. You don't get to fly search and rescue unless you are 100% capable.

Thread: Elidir - 3 inch scale Hunslet
08/01/2018 15:45:55

Excellent, you should be very proud of that.

Thread: Ray Thomas
07/01/2018 23:27:32

Sad news.

Thread: Linear actuator wiring
07/01/2018 17:49:13

I know this is an American site but you can get remote controls for those actuators which could do away with a manual switch.

Download their pdf catalogue for more info. **LINK**

No connection with this product.

Thread: Bevel ?
02/01/2018 22:56:48
Posted by JasonB on 02/01/2018 13:20:12:
Posted by Brian Sweeting on 02/01/2018 13:16:24:

You might say that a bevelled edge is found at the end of a wood chisel whilst you would chamfer the edge of a turned piece to remove the sharp edge.

The "Bevel edge" of wood chisels is along the back and does not refer to the primary and secondary bevels that form the cutting edge

I fully agree about bevel edged chisels which is why I said 'found at the end' to which you then confirm by talking about the primary and secondary bevels.

But if being pedantic then you have also confirmed the description of a bevel.

02/01/2018 13:16:24

It seems that it can be an open ended answer depending on whether you use the words as a noun or an adjective.

Found a good description here  **LINK**

You might say that a bevelled edge is found at the end of a wood chisel whilst you would chamfer the edge of a turned piece to remove the sharp edge.

Thread: cl 300 lathe problems
31/12/2017 23:47:40

Adjust the leadscrew bracket at the right hand end to realign the thread and gearwheel.

Thread: 'Free-Wheeling' a Steam Loco?
29/12/2017 15:59:35

I thought that they uncoupled the pistons at the cross head so that it freewheeled.

Thread: Single phase motor woes
29/12/2017 14:20:41

Concur with Joseph's advice, would add however - ensure that you get the correct voltage when buying the new capacitors.

Thread: Baldwin Gas Mechanical Cab Started
26/12/2017 15:00:17

Speedy recovery Steve. Time to start thinking about that seat to fit under the workbench now.

Thread: Unknown Engine
25/12/2017 23:15:51

The wonders of the web - now we know the maker you can find it 0n youtube, amazing.

**LINK**

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
Warco
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest