By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian Sweeting

Here is a list of all the postings Brian Sweeting has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: West Yorkshire Police
30/06/2020 18:04:49

Many years ago I was in lane three at around 70 when the traffic slowed rather quickly.

I hit the brakes hard but also checked my mirrors, as trained, so as I came close to stopping I moved right towards the central area with my Dad, in the passenger seat shouting "what are you doing?"

Having stopped we watched the car behind me, nose down, head directly into the boot of the car in front of me.

Close call

Thread: Indian stationary engine of interest to Martin Perman ?
28/06/2020 19:04:42

Excellent, bright kids.

Thread: Lollipop maybe?
18/06/2020 19:18:42

I found one other picture on the web with a 14" like yours and, of course, the lollipop was empty as well.

Thread: Compressor inspection
09/06/2020 19:07:44
Posted by Adrian R2 on 09/06/2020 08:50:29:

I've got one of these which is puzzling me. It's supposed to be 150psi but labours to get up to this pressure and then as soon as it does the safety valve blows and depressurises before the compressor cuts out. I thought the cutout switch was defective so removed it but when tested with a high pressure cycle pump it seems to work as intended (NC, opens at around 150psi, closes again at 120psi).

My current plan is to derate the cut out switch to a 120/90 equivalent, are there any better ideas?

Adrian

Sounds more likely that the pressure relief valve needs replacing as it is out of calibration.

Thread: A red face and a bottlejack
08/06/2020 17:49:25

Maybe write some instructions down and put in a plastic bag, then tape it to the jack.

Thread: Run capacitor value .Bench grinder
04/06/2020 13:03:09

Have you tried your local electrical wholesaler, if you have one?

Thread: Bumblebee behaviour
22/05/2020 19:35:35
Posted by JA on 22/05/2020 17:41:54:

Brian

How deep should the holes be?

JA

Mine are about 100mm, makes room for up to six bees.

22/05/2020 15:39:22

It's so easy to help the bees as I found out over the past few weeks.

Two birthdays ago my daughter bought me a bee house which contained 24 holes for the bees to lay eggs which I hung up on a shed wall. It's only about a 150mm/6" cube so doesn't take up much. room

By the end of the year about 3/4 had been filled and sealed by the bees.

This April they kept me busy watching their comings and goings. Even before they had all hatched they were busy relaying eggs.

This year I reckon that about 108 bees hatched and with 23 holes refilled that's about 130 ready for next year.

I'm actually trying for more now as I found a nice bit of log and drilled some 10mm holes in it and mounted it alongside the original.

Simple things but it gives you a warm feeling knowing that you've grown something.

Thread: Cheese grater strip/band
12/05/2020 18:37:17

Not exactly cheese grater but try a Google search on "prikka strip", might be suitable.

Thread: Strange WW1 Chuck - 1MT
29/04/2020 11:35:12

Maybe the patent gets close ....

Patent

(Edit)

Sorry I think this 1874 patent is closer..

Edited By Brian Sweeting on 29/04/2020 11:37:07

Thread: Aircraft Guidance Lights, Or?
21/04/2020 00:10:42

Sorry, slightly off topic but on location.

After I had moved down to Dorset my first job was as a bus driver out of Weymouth and one of my routes was up to the Verne prison. ( No. 7 route perhaps?).

I picked up a London couple in Weymouth who were visiting family at the prison. She was busy asking me how much the fare was and I was giving her the options of day tickets, singles or returns.

She seemed to flinch at these fares but quite straight faced asked her hubby if she should get return tickets or not. His father fruity reply confirmed that there was no way he was planning to stay up there overnight.

++ Glad that you have solved your puzzle, you can sleep easier now.

Thread: Central heating woes.
20/04/2020 00:12:57

If it has a thermostatic valve on it try taking the head off and seeing if the valve pin is stuck.

If it is stuck down you can, very carefully, try lifting it with a pair of pliers. Don't pull too hard or it might come out and produce a small fountain.

Thread: Aircraft Guidance Lights, Or?
17/04/2020 14:15:33

Nigel, there is a navigation light up at the Verne but I think it's a single colour.

There are various leading light sets for the East entrance and the old coaling wharf.

I found a chart with the locations which might help here Portland chart

I'm assuming by the way that you are in Wyke Regis or thereabouts?

I like the way the charts still call that area the RNAS Air Station.

Stay safe.

17/04/2020 00:18:42

I used to to maintenance work at the MCA rescue heliport on Portland on the building and flightline mechanical and electrical services.

At that time the runway had single white lights along the length with red/white approach lights at the runway ends. These were all fixed lights, nothing alternating.

There were also pole mounted white lights to help the approach coming in over Chesil Beach.

I used to enjoy my work down there, it was a same when the contracts changed.

Thread: It would happen now!
14/04/2020 11:32:56

If your replacement boiler is going to be a combination boiler then you don't need a hot water tank.

Thread: New Mill
03/04/2020 11:09:02

The nearest we would have in the UK would be light diesel fuel or a camping stove fuel.

You could probably do a good job by spraying with something like WD40 using the appropriate PPE of course.

Thread: New design of mains plug?
30/03/2020 18:44:23
Posted by DrDave on 30/03/2020 18:01:29:

I have never understood the British love of fused plugs: most of the world seems to be happy with unfused plugs. None of the electrical equipment that I bought when I lived in Switzerland has a fused plug, for example.

Other than the regulatory requirement here (and after all it does sound like a good idea), can anyone explain why Britain and the colonies have this different plug philosophy?

I would have rephrase that question to why doesn't everyone else bring their electrical standards up to our UK level but I am biased of course.

Thread: Whatyadoin?
26/03/2020 20:04:08

Front grass cut.

New greenhouse base concreted in, jigsaw puzzle aluminium struts to play with tomorrow.

Thread: Re fridge motor
08/03/2020 12:23:29

Just for info, the tube that is crimped/sealed off is connected to the action side of the compressor, it was the charging port. So your unit has 2 inlets and 1 outlet.

Thread: Sieg SX3 Mill Oiling the Z axis Nut
28/02/2020 15:34:56

Looking at the arc instructions it looks like it is a greased component so should not need oiling.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest