By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian Sweeting

Here is a list of all the postings Brian Sweeting has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Whatyadoin?
26/03/2020 20:04:08

Front grass cut.

New greenhouse base concreted in, jigsaw puzzle aluminium struts to play with tomorrow.

Thread: Re fridge motor
08/03/2020 12:23:29

Just for info, the tube that is crimped/sealed off is connected to the action side of the compressor, it was the charging port. So your unit has 2 inlets and 1 outlet.

Thread: Sieg SX3 Mill Oiling the Z axis Nut
28/02/2020 15:34:56

Looking at the arc instructions it looks like it is a greased component so should not need oiling.

Thread: Mini Lathe
23/02/2020 00:15:13

That looks like a bargain there Peter.

With my safety hat on I would suggest putting the on/off switch to the front of the lathe. It's easier to reach than stretching over a spinning machine.

Thread: Honda Brake Cable
21/02/2020 19:30:41

Thank you Alan for the update and I'm so glad that you have resolved the issue.

Thread: Recovering from disaster
20/02/2020 15:05:45

Fortunately for me not a problem that I have suffered but I wonder whether taking a photographic record of your shed/workshop/tools would act as an aide memoire for after the event.

Thread: Trapeziectomy
01/02/2020 19:31:09

If I remember rightly the thumb to fingertip exercise had a progressive visual result, if you start with thumb/index finger then when you can reach to your little finger you are almost there.

Good luck with it all, I'm sure things will be great, I know her lack of pain was a bonus for both of us

01/02/2020 16:06:57

Sorry Nigel, I forgot to read back on this thread.

Just checked with my wife and with the first op she was back at work (office receptionist, paperwork, data entry, phones etc) after 6 weeks with driving a few weeks later.

The second she wasn't working but was carer for my mother and she was back driving etc after 6 weeks.

The exercises involved squeezing on a rubber type ball to strengthen things and touching each fingertip with the tip of the thumb. Like all recuperation you get back what you put in.

Not sure if this makes a difference but she had her carpal tunnels done some years prior to this work.

Edited By Brian Sweeting on 01/02/2020 16:07:14

29/01/2020 16:05:00

Hi Nigel

Not me but my wife has had both hands done, not at the same time I must add.

She had been having injections for some time but they were getting less effective. Don't know if it has been offered to you but she had the procedures done under local anesthesia and would highly recommend that method. The recovery time was greatly improved and recovery was also reasonably painfree, she was sent home with painkillers but only used paracetamol to subdue it.

The hand exercises post-op were soon mastered and apart from some loss of strength overall she is 100% better and glad that she had it done.

The only downside from my point of view is that she didn't think it wise to take the vacuum cleaner duties back after her recovery.

Edited By Brian Sweeting on 29/01/2020 16:08:03

Thread: Tuna Can Blower
22/01/2020 14:28:30

Great job, well done.

Thread: Honda Brake Cable
18/01/2020 18:53:45

A couple of thoughts...

1. Are the fork legs correctly fitted in the yokes?

2. Have the handlebars been fitted with risers?

Thread: Where are tool fairs/swap-meets advertised?
16/01/2020 13:29:01

Being in Somerset then you could try one of events at the Shepton Mallet showground.

Google will the this year.

Thread: The cultural status of engineers in the UK
10/01/2020 15:01:58
Posted by Hopper on 10/01/2020 13:52:09:

I thought they used super glue instead of chains these days?

Likewise being a Building Maintenance Engineer. They think you are the janitor and ask you to mop up the toilets. Meanwhile you are operating a multi-million dollar computerised heating and air-con system that is keeping them alive when it's 40-below zero outside, (Montana, USA, in winter.) while showing the surgeons how to turn the knob on the operating theatre wall thermostat to get their desired temperature.

Been there, done that. Here in the UK I ended up calling myself a Technician as I didn't have any qualifications just experience but I did know some engineers.

Thread: Our Emmie
01/01/2020 14:00:34

The Barge Trust the written details, are they any use?

Our Emmie

Edited By Brian Sweeting on 01/01/2020 18:09:32

Thread: A Santa Special to forget.
31/12/2019 00:04:05
Posted by Emgee on 29/12/2019 23:50:22:

That's a shame, more work for the restorers. Were does responsibility lie in such cases ?

Emgee

Looks like the didn't check couplings properly.

Thread: 3 in 1 Lathe/Mill for $139? Early chistmas present perhaps?
13/12/2019 18:34:10

Stand well back, I got caught recently, only about £25, by a site containing almost the same terms, conditions and promises.

They will send you something so that a tracking document can be verified keeping Paypal so very careful. In my case I received a small envelope complete with customs, it was mind you.

Thread: Digital Phase converter...
12/12/2019 16:05:28

If you want an inexpensive way to measure the inrush current of your lathe you can get an amp probe attachment for a multimeter from here **LINK**

Thread: Nuts
04/12/2019 13:30:10

Seems a good way of some useful thread length being preserved for the bullbar that has be removed or replaced after any impact damage in the future.

Thread: Rake angle on Cutting Tools.....memory tips???
21/11/2019 18:24:22

Do what some tutors do, make a wooden model of the tool with all the angles on them along their uses.

Thread: Undrilling a hole in brass?
18/11/2019 17:11:05

You could always have described it as an oiling point. 😉

Edited By Brian Sweeting on 18/11/2019 17:11:36

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Warco
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest