By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian Sweeting

Here is a list of all the postings Brian Sweeting has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Undrilling a hole in brass?
18/11/2019 17:11:05

You could always have described it as an oiling point. 😉

Edited By Brian Sweeting on 18/11/2019 17:11:36

Thread: Stuart steam boiler HB4 with roaring chimney..
01/11/2019 00:13:40

Sounds to me that the burner is not operating correctly, the flame is burning somewhere away from the burner itself.

What gas are you using, is there good airflow?

Thread: What is it/they called?
28/10/2019 13:39:05

I sometimes find when searching for things that writing the full question that you need to ask is often the best way of starting. Let Google, or whichever search engine you use, pick out the best key words for you.

On the theme of this topic I came across a site with pictures of a good range of different handles...

Machine handwheels

Thread: Looking for Erskine control board schematic diagram
24/10/2019 17:43:11

This has been discussed earlier on this forum with some useful answers.

Try here Forum thread

Thread: Lister advice
17/10/2019 19:06:48

If it has compression try turning the engine over.

Thread: Brake band friction lining
14/10/2019 19:50:28

I found a few suppliers listed with a Google search of "flexible brake band material" if the suppliers shown above do not work out.

Thread: What solenoid to use?
13/10/2019 00:11:46

Instead of a solenoid have a look at 'duct damper actuators'.

These come in a range of prices, you can even get small ones for car vent ducts. They are designed to motor open or closed so only require power to change state.

You can also get complete duct dampers with actuators attached.

Thread: Changing internet providers
11/10/2019 16:18:41

I may be wrong if things have changed but we changed from Sky to Virgin about 18 months ago. I have always had a Gmail account but the Sky account remained active when I was on Virgin.

Six months ago we reverted to Sky and I found the the Sky.com account was still functioning.

I have found that some manufacturers technical websites that I used would not allow me to register with the Gmail account because they like a "real" address as against a web based service .

My suggestion would be not to rush into it but yes change your accounts at a pace that suits you.

Thread: Tracy Tools Free replacement die.
10/10/2019 19:00:31

And it is such a dangerous place to enter as you turn into a "tool-tart" and your wallet starts hanging onto the bottom of your pocket.

Thread: Exactly...
09/10/2019 19:13:07

Looks interesting, just reserved it at our local library.

Thread: Wiring a CAV dynamo
05/10/2019 21:23:21

Stroke of luck whilst searching brought up this pdf which should help...

CAV NE

Thread: Aero Fuel
29/09/2019 00:15:20

Probably to allow the engine to run on whatever basic petrol was available in the area/country they were operating in.

The fuel being delivered by tankers or jerry cans could have been used by an assortment of engines, jeeps, tanks, lorries as well as aircraft.

Thread: Silent compressor problem
26/09/2019 14:19:57
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 26/09/2019 07:02:03:
Posted by Brian Sweeting on 26/09/2019 00:13:21:

Remember that these compressors are refrigerant compressors that are supposed to be cooled by the flow of refrigerant through them.

You should find somewhere in the instructions of your unit the recommended duty cycle. This should be designed to not overheat the motor by running too long and also not starting the motor more than a set number of times per hour.

dont know What exactly do you mean by these compressors, Brian ?

MichaelG.

**LINK**

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 26/09/2019 07:02:32

Sorry, should have added "hermetic" type.

26/09/2019 00:13:21

Remember that these compressors are refrigerant compressors that are supposed to be cooled by the flow of refrigerant through them.

You should find somewhere in the instructions of your unit the recommended duty cycle. This should be designed to not overheat the motor by running too long and also not starting the motor more than a set number of times per hour.

24/09/2019 23:40:40

Could be the compressor starter or capacitors at fault.

Thread: Water Lifter Hose
19/09/2019 14:57:53

What size tube are you looking for and material type?

There is a good range of 'plastic' reinforced tubing available.

Thread: Rip-Off? Don't judge by web domains.
17/09/2019 00:12:53

I like the ebay price offer, buy two and get 5% off the second one. Good deal.

Thread: Any interesting lathe projects for beginners?
17/09/2019 00:07:59

There's always a chess set.

Thread: Need help with meddling pillar drill.
15/09/2019 15:34:06

A lot of extension leads have trip switches attached to the socket outlet, check the lead on something else.

A wire tester will not tell you if you have a circuit, the neutral may be broken.

Thread: Scissors
13/09/2019 14:44:22

Your button hole scissors have a small rachet stop for setting the cut length of the hole. Other models used a screw through one arm to set the cut.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Meridienne; London MES
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
cowbells
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest