By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Roy Birch

Here is a list of all the postings Roy Birch has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Adcock & Shipley 1ES
11/03/2022 13:20:57

Hello All

Has anyone fitted a dro to the Adcock & Shipley 1es and if so do you have any pictures of where the scales are fitted?

Regards

Roy

Thread: Boxford VSL 500 Drive Pulley
31/01/2022 17:11:23

Yes you are correct, that is also one of the reasons I feel making a new hub from a block of cast iron.

31/01/2022 16:50:06

No that’s not a crack it’s the piece that was broken off which I have just placed on the hub

31/01/2022 13:23:40

One more thing to add is that I now believe this casting is at fault because the two pins in photo 5 should have sheared off befor the casting took any damage

31/01/2022 13:21:22

Hello All

So here is the pulley out of the machine, the drive gear shows some elongation of the holes for the drive pins so I think this lathe may have been put into back gear with the shaft still turning,

Photo 1 shows the area that is missing from the pulley, this distance is at least 2/3rds of the pulley missing some material.

Photo 2 shows why the lathe had a lot of slippage

Photo 3 seems to indicate that this is made in 2 parts as there is a golden ring around the part that holds the back gear which I assume is silver solder.

Photo 4 shows the deepest part of the damage with very little pulley side left.

Photo 5 shows the piece that I found against the drive belt in place on the pulley block.

This pulley block is different from the normal AUD as this one is solid and the AUD block is machined to have an internal hub which I assume has a lot to do with weight so any other replacement has to be the same as you would machine most all of the internal hub away. I now dont think the repair is feasible unless I drilled a new spindle lock hole in the undamaged area of the pulley and a new button oiler hole which runs into the small keyway in photo 5.

Regards

Roy

31/01/2022 13:08:52

img_0652.jpgimg_0653.jpgimg_0654.jpgimg_0655.jpgimg_0656.jpg

30/01/2022 14:50:26

So upon further investigation I have found 2/3 of the missing piece, whoever was operating this Boxford at the time left this inside nicely against the drive belt, photo 1 shows the inside, photo 2 shows the outside which also shows that someone was trying to use the spindle lock with the chuck still turning and photo 3 is the reason for the belt slipping as this is the inside wall of the belt pulley, does anyone think this is user error or was the casting suspect in the first place? and does this piece and I am sure I will find the other bits iside the headstock somewhere make a repair more likely?

img_0651.jpgimg_0650.jpgimg_0649.jpg

30/01/2022 12:59:10

The main problem is that the VSL500 has a 1 3/8 bore which is nearly twice the size of the standard machines, it may of course be close on external diametre

30/01/2022 12:39:47

The main problem is that the lathe is slipping due to the wall of the drive pulley being cast into the part that is missing so even if I tried to make a new one it would be difficult on this lathe.

30/01/2022 12:28:52

I suspect the problem is that someone either pushed the spindle lock in whilst the machine was running or a chuck got stuck and they used too much force with the spindle lock engaged, I dont have the facility to make a new one as I would want the main headstock pully out of the machine to make test fits and I dont have another lathe I could use.

Regards

Roy

30/01/2022 12:22:27

The photos are in the wrong order, they start at the bottom

30/01/2022 12:21:18

The delamination of the cast iron is at max 3mm deep where the drive pin is, the delamination travels 1/3 of the circumferance of the pulley and is exactly from jaw 1 to jaw 2 on the Chuck

30/01/2022 12:20:14

img_0648.jpgimg_0647.jpgimg_0646.jpgimg_0645.jpgThe delamination of the cast iron is at max 3mm deep where the drive pin is, the delamination travels 1/3 of the circumferance of the pulley and is exactly from jaw 1 to jaw 2 on the chuckimg_0644.jpg

30/01/2022 11:39:31

I will get a picture, the problem is that the chunk of cast iron that is missing also forms the inside wall of the pulley.

30/01/2022 10:40:25

Hello All

I have tried parting off a 95mm blank of en3b and I noticed that the chuck kept slipping, I looked at the belt and all seemed ok, I then took the top cover on the headstock off only to find that a section of the drive pulley had broken away as well as the body holding the pins, a repair had been done by a previous owner which was to put insulation tape around the pulley main body to hold the pins in. Does anyone have a idea of how to repair this or where I might find another pulley?
--

regards

Roy

Thread: Boxford VSL
06/12/2021 20:37:39

Hello

I have a Boxford VSL that I am looking to install this weekend but on another forum the subject of bed twist came up, I was planning to set this lathe up on machinery levelling pads the same way as my Myford Tri-Leva is set up, the forum suggests that this lathe should be bolted down, in my experience it is sometimes the bolting down that causes the twist. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is correct?

Thread: LBSC 440 Virginia
25/10/2021 17:51:01

I am going to try spring steel from a commercial provider, the only problem is 5 leaves from 20 gage spring steel will not quite fit the hole in which they are housed, I did see a picture of Polly in 3 1/2g with working springs and that one used leaves that were doubled up into pairs so each spring has 10 leaves in 5 matching pairs, perhaps the drawings are open to quite a bit of interpretation as they only show 5 single leaves per spring. I have tried to contact a gramophone restorer to see if they can tell me the gauge of steel on gramophone governors.

25/10/2021 13:19:11

A quick search brings up an article from popular science from some years ago that indicates the gauge of steel as being 20g.

25/10/2021 12:11:10

Hello Dieseldaz

I have learnt that there are errors in whatever you build and nothing is perfect in the Model steam loco builds, I am just going to plough on with help from the forum and post pictures of progress at each stage so that someone can spot an error before I move on and lets be honest by the questions I am asking there is bound to be errors, as long as these are not in expensive components I will be happy.

Kind Regards

Roy

25/10/2021 12:06:07

I am going to change to working springs and dispense with the castings, does anyone know where I can get the steel to make the working springs?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Dreweatts
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest