By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Frances IoM

Here is a list of all the postings Frances IoM has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: I need to cut chamfers into x64 pieces of mild steel - any advice?
03/09/2021 14:58:01
make a simple U-shaped jig out of MDF with a trough with a 45deg angle at both ends with a 90 element at one end with a threaded rod etc to compress all bits lay 2 strips of steel on top of along the top of the U sides so arranged so that the top of steel lowest place to file then use a large file and exercise your arm - if you can case harden the steel strips so much the better

Edited By Frances IoM on 03/09/2021 14:59:15

Thread: Parting off help!
02/09/2021 19:32:28
unless the WM180 has changed significantly chucks, faceplates etc are bolted to a flange - just look between the rear of the chuck and the headstock - small fingers are useful here as you will find when you swop chucks.
It runs fine in reverse but at a slower speed set by the electronics - the major problem with the WM180 (apart from lack of a tumbler) is no meat on the cross slide on which to fasten anything.

Edited By Frances IoM on 02/09/2021 19:32:59

Thread: Looking for a compact and safe mains lead connector
31/08/2021 15:50:30
the 2-pin connectors may be found in moulded connection - I have several salvaged from old Sky boxes gleaned from my local amenity site. Interestingly they all use a distinctive round format 13amp plug but with a 5amp fuse..
Not sure re bulkhead fittings as most I have were designed for PCB mounting with the PCB also mounting switches etc

Edited By Frances IoM on 31/08/2021 15:52:13

Thread: small white spots
25/08/2021 17:27:04
probably the farcebook tracker as for non-javascript a 1pixel invisible element is loaded - javascrpt enabled get to load a special bit of code thus probably it is a 1 pixel non visible image that would be probably be blocked by Firefox on its anti tracking settings.

Quite why this tracker is on the site is not clear other that the site owners get paid for reducing users' privacy.

Edited By Frances IoM on 25/08/2021 17:27:40

Thread: Clinging to the Past
21/08/2021 20:02:38
I know I have recommended this before but Seb Falk in "The Light Ages" shows how a counting board or abacus made even division of Roman Numeral relatively easy (see pp 39-41) but obviously not a easy as Hindu-Arabic notation
Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
14/08/2021 16:25:07
and for those that want a balanced article there are 4 pages of the Sept 2021 issue of "Practical Electronics" devoted to both genders of this plug as well as explaining the "neutrik" angle

Edited By Frances IoM on 14/08/2021 16:26:45

Thread: You could not make it up ! [Olympic Cycling]
26/07/2021 12:14:37
I'm all for virtual Peletons - the real thing is a real nuisance on narrow Manx main roads which are not cyclist friendly - at last there is now a start on cycle paths separated from fast traffic including re-instating two of the removed bridges on the old MNR route from St Johns to Ramsey.
Thread: Warco WM180
22/07/2021 15:45:10

wm180_hl.jpg

forgot to add photo

22/07/2021 15:40:25
my simple handle - 22mm OD cutdown to fit into bore - a 6mm threaded rod at one end thru the hole in the fixing of the wheel to the rod (so long ago can't remember how but locktite probably involved ) and at other end a wedge drawn into the (crudely) split tube to jam it in the bore
Looking at it in more detail looks as though I drilled a 12mm hole in wheel then locktited a top hat sized to fit into tube - I added a bearing between the tightening nut and the wheel

Edited By Frances IoM on 22/07/2021 15:57:44

Thread: Hydrogen
22/07/2021 07:43:18
about 93 million miles away - though local weather there can be somewhat hot
Thread: Bench grinder
21/07/2021 22:06:12
did you swop the washers around as maybe the good one is now on the outside rather than inside against the shoulder?
21/07/2021 21:15:46
The metal washers either side of the wheel often are very poor and need squaring or even replacing - one butts against a usually poorly cut shoulder. Also is either wheel too loose on the spindle
Thread: The beginnings of Mobile Telephony
21/07/2021 19:36:55
DECT phones are moveable but are not cell phones in the usual sense.
21/07/2021 11:57:48
visited Nokia in early to mid 80s as company I was consulting for wanted to sell them software - their early development mobile phone was somewhat bigger than a house brick and weighed possibly more.
Thread: Digital CNC phase converter build
20/07/2021 19:23:49
the power consumption you mention is more like a small to medium size industrial unit than a domestic or a even a farm setting - are there no suitable industrial units for rent.
Thread: Garmin sat nav
19/07/2021 19:11:42
many 1st gen sat navs keep a fairly detailed record of last journeys made - this can be uploaded if for example you connect to a PC (these days only with your consent tho in past I think such consent was implied when you operated the device)
19/07/2021 16:16:56
modern car sat-nav and engine diagnostics are often linked to a mobile phone sim - that could easily provide data back to Garmin
Thread: Mobility scooter spares
18/07/2021 13:33:36
anyone who has come into contact with the disability market is well aware that the prices are grossly (obscenely) inflated - likewise if a contractor knows it is a job is paid for by a disability grant. The market attitude seems to be why not take advantage of those who are in need of help.
Thread: Taps and Dies
13/07/2021 20:28:31
not sure a set is a good way - if you are doing mainly thru holes a spiral tap is faster - unless you are dealing with v hard materials just a 2nd and a bottoming tap will be needed for non thru holes (tho you may need to take the bottoming tap to the grinder as many come with a tapered end).
Split dies are much easier especially on hard material.
Thread: Driving style predicts Alzeimer’s …
13/07/2021 18:54:51
"70 Mph IS the maximum speed limit" only in UK - elsewhere you can find unrestricted roads - whether it is safe to greatly exceed 70 is another matter.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate