By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Frances IoM

Here is a list of all the postings Frances IoM has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Fiber optic cable
12/06/2022 17:55:39
it doesn't so much as bounce as being refracted such that there is only one mode of transmission down the cable - bends or other disturbances do cause losses as light is partially deviated from its path
Thread: Cutting tools
09/06/2022 16:05:37
you will soon find the need for a grinder to sharpen the tools (assuming they are sold already sharpened - some, especially the brazed carbide tipped ones might not be) - this will generally require a better tool rest on the grinder than comes with a basic machine
Thread: pyrex is not PYREX
09/06/2022 09:52:31
A quick kitchen survey showed most of my small stock Pyrex to be old bought in the 70s when I set up my first house but one measuring jug is PYREX(R) made by Corning in USA but "not for Lab or stovetop use" - this was a charity shop purchase some years ago to replace a broken one thus it seems Mark's US tempered glass bears the PYREX marker.

Edited By Frances IoM on 09/06/2022 09:52:52

Thread: FORUM DOWNTIME AND RESULTING ISSUES REPORTING
08/06/2022 14:03:49
looks as though you got the times wrong as seems a switch over occurred at 1400 hrs
Thread: Middle of Lidl
05/06/2022 14:28:42
I think mine must also have wings as they are never where I thought I put them down.
Thread: Shed floor
04/06/2022 19:24:24
what wobbles - the floor or the set of drawers?
To me the set of drawers look too slight to be rigid enough - the drawers will be fairly useless once they are laden with metal - if you have wood working tools make a braced frame from 2x2 or 2x4 timber - if the floor is firm but uneven use a sheet of 1/2" ply under the frame or use industrial grade adjustable feet.

Either use shelves within the frame or invest in good drawer slides so you can load the drawers with tools - shelving to take 'really useful' plastic boxes will probably be cheaper.
Thread: What is "Mathematics"
31/05/2022 21:02:44
as a one-time professorial colleague used to point out "there is nothing so practical as a good theory".

Edited By Frances IoM on 31/05/2022 21:04:08

Thread: Now What Have I Done? (Odd Display Effect)
31/05/2022 11:08:20
there is a built-in Linux kernel command cntrl+SysReq+alt (not too sure of alt) - this forces a reboot - not all keyboards (eg my Lenovo machines) have the sysreq key on many it is fn + prtscreen keys - my own thick finger is hitting the prtscreen key which is next to the oft used delete key

Edited By Frances IoM on 31/05/2022 11:09:51

31/05/2022 09:56:04
I prefer, even as an engineer though I did train as a physicist, that Mathematics is a pure human invention based on axioms - however another invention of the human mind are models of the universe - the more useful of these models are based on a mathematics which can be used to produce expected properties of the model universe - in as far as those properties correspond with measurements we accept our model as a valid description - in some ways we are behaving in the same manner as the ancient Greek method of exhaustion to estimate areas of arbitrary objects by determining polygons that bound the object.

Edited By Frances IoM on 31/05/2022 09:56:50

Thread: Warning buyer beware
31/05/2022 09:24:04
you have only inserted small thubnail images - non-expandable
28/05/2022 21:05:11
try reading Ian Stewart "the problems of Mathematics" published 1987 so well mature by now - might save significant time - his 1st chapter definition is that mathematics is about ideas - the following 19 chapters develop on this.
Thread: Hello - Uni or apprenticeship
26/05/2022 16:37:09
see if you can get a relevant summer vacation job - depends very much where you live as the various hi-tech companies tend to be in the same area - sometimes it is worth taking a year out pre University/College but get advice from those who know the relevant job area.
26/05/2022 15:43:26
the route depends on your academic qualifications - good A levels will get you into most Engineering though for some you are looking at needing very good marks - suggest a look at the relevant institution web site eg mine being Electrical is the MIET but the mechanicals and the civils have similar organisations - their society mag will often have articles written by or about those on various entry courses eg E&T June 2022 has a article re a young woman doing a degree apprenticeship at Rolls-Royce Aerospace - they can give you up to date advice on options open to you - if you are not too sure what you want to do then some Universities/Colleges offer a 4 year course with a more general 1st year.

If you are near London you could drop into their Institution and ask.

Edited By Frances IoM on 26/05/2022 15:46:26

Thread: The perennial question...
22/05/2022 20:14:59
Can you sell the South Bend (tho I have no idea of its 2nd hand value) as ?500 will not get you any new Chinese mini lathe (not that these are readily moved) and the smaller precision lathes (eg a Cowells) are considerably more expensive. Is there a local model engineering society you can join as often they may be aware of machines for sale.

A small SX-1 mill would be a better solution for milling but would now cost over ?500 new but 2nd models should be easy to find - possibly combined with a Taig/Peatol small lathe - the pair might be obtainable for ?500 2nd hand
Thread: Very small metric thread size
15/05/2022 17:05:29
?1.2mm though away from my ref books at moment
Thread: Code of Conduct
11/05/2022 12:39:16
"Epitomized in the book 1984 by A.Huxley". - O brave new world that has such things in it - possibly even on the road to Wigan Pier.
Thread: Adding a leadscrew to a lathe ?
09/05/2022 16:20:14
The Taig/Peatol small lathe has no leadscrew - there is, or was, a commercial addon package tho my lathe came with a jury rigged leadscrew using a threaded rod and a nut formed by bit of thin plate, the original rack + gear having been removed - I re-installed the rack as it felt more comfortable but if it were my only lathe think I would look towards a leadscrew of some form.
Thread: Smart and Brown brass id labels
01/05/2022 18:48:58
M.A.P. = UK WW2 Ministry of Aircraft Production

the other plate may be a post war owner. possibly National Aeronautical Establishment set up in 1947 at Bedford

Edited By Frances IoM on 01/05/2022 18:53:44

Thread: Band saw arm weight
28/04/2022 14:57:15
likes along with smilies are an abomination + mess up usual technical notation, personally I'd also get rid of atavars - the site is IMO better for being significantly text based - leave childish things to the nursury.
The album mechanism has one significant benefit - the image is served from the same place as the text - too many 'free' image hosting sites disappear or revert either to charging or making their money by tracking individuals for future advertising purposes (obvious really as there is no such thing as a free lunch - this site gains because the users generate enough eyes to keep the advertisers happy)
Thread: will Mortons honour subscriptions paid the Mytimemedia
28/04/2022 13:24:53
I took out an annual print only sub to MEW in Jan 2022 - I have just received a subscription note that I have only one issue left after the current #315 (May issue) - #316 is I assume the last issue to be produced by mytimemedia staff given the long lead time from preparation to print.

Edited By Frances IoM on 28/04/2022 13:25:30

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate