By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Frances IoM

Here is a list of all the postings Frances IoM has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Academia.edu
04/04/2020 19:05:00
Bandersnatch - no I meant email readers - crazy I know like offering the key to your front door to anyone who posts you a letter but people like the fancy formatting that comes from using a web 'browser' interface to read mail - same is true of pdf readers - there are some pdf programs that run on Windoze that don't allow such tricks (used one for years on Win98).
04/04/2020 17:08:02
No - find a reader that does not allow Javascript or calls to other external programs (there are some stupid email readers that allow Javacript) - I haven't tried it but maybe use wget to download then try Calibre to convert to a ebook version which might well wipe all non printable stuff
Thread: How can I use this motor economically?
04/04/2020 12:14:10
Does it have a small CR032 cell (or similar) to keep alive some memory feature - if so then if this cell had discharged from old age then possibly any mains driven standby power would have keep it alive but on unplugging this was lost along with some memory needed to start or run the controller - sometimes replacing such cells allows a factory default to be set up.
Thread: Academia.edu
04/04/2020 11:35:28
PDFs are based on the earlier Postscript scheme for driving printers - this was known to be Turing complete ie it was fully programmable thus PDF's are inherently capable of embedding what I presume is an interpreter that I guess might try to post messages back to Academia as to readership.

It advertises as a commercial company that hosts academic papers etc and can relay back to the posters of such the numbers etc of the readers of such - I'm guessing from the comment that it spams some downloaders that it pushes some products otherwise being a 'free' service I cannot see how it pays its considerable hosting bills.

Not being interested in microfossils I haven't downloaded it but does wget work and if so has anyone analysed the PDF to see what it does.

Edited By Frances IoM on 04/04/2020 11:36:07

02/04/2020 12:58:50
it's the way others compromise themselves in giving details about their friends - Google is just the worst of many such scummy companies.
Thread: Coronavirus
31/03/2020 11:15:15
Is anyone else having delivery problems with Currys/PC World - my washing machine failed some days ago, a new one booked to be delivered yesterday - ok on their computer + phone re delivery time etc but no show + no contact - now can't get through on phone + computer claims not to know of my order
Thread: Good reading from DYSON.
30/03/2020 17:46:51
The motor was not manufactured by Dyson but bought in (at least in the one junked that I took apart for the expanding hose + also to play with the cyclone as a dust trap.
30/03/2020 14:11:54
Dyson I suspect is better at engineering hype then some machines (my experience is rather similar to Journeyman John) - lets see if he actually delivers
Thread: Connectors for multiple LED lamps
28/03/2020 20:28:25

2pin.jpg

I have the following connector system on some small audio interfaces which would work well the male plugs (8mm wide) have small screw fixtures for the wires - however I don't know the manufacturer

Thread: Thread heading looking weird
28/03/2020 13:03:04
the image claims to be 0px ? 0px (scaled to 183px ? 12px) (px = pixels) and is a large 590kB gif that animates between two distict images, there might be blanks between them (hence the 'flashing')- presumably the 0px is that the image itself is quite large but subject to some arbitrary scaling.
Tho large it is 'static so would be fetched and then stored in the users cache.
Possibly it is the announced zero size that upsets page formating and might well trigger blockage.

As for facebook - I'd be intrigued as to how many shekels MTM is paid to track users as pointed out by kiwi-bloke it is a blatant tracker that serves nobody other than farcebook.
Thread: Any ideas please
25/03/2020 20:43:56
70% chocolate works very well - a qtr square - melt base and stick on or near the pin. Not for the squeamish tho but same trap + chocolate will catch 3 or 4 before the chocolate seems to lose its attraction. Mice are vermin in my eyes and do quite a lot of damage but nothing like getting one of its bigger brethren in a house - for these get in the pros as the damage they will do is extreme.

Edited By Frances IoM on 25/03/2020 20:44:33

24/03/2020 11:10:57
Neil - will dig out my Jeyes but there are no holes I can see in the two fences - the back wall is brick but with a neighbour's lattice on top + quite a thick growth of vegetation - how small a gap can a fox get thru as there might be a inch or two between the fence posts and the wall - I caught sight of it once - small dog size and certainly looking somewhat mangy - as a non-meat eater the only waste is veggie and goes into the compost bin so nothing to attract it other possibly some cover among the bushes against the brick wall
23/03/2020 19:12:09
Isn't whale oil thought to be ideal for heat hardening certain steels - a now deceased friend said that the workshop where he had worked, now some 20years ago, used to have a bucket of the stuff available for this specific purpose which bucket had been around for many years - then a newly appointed non-technical manager thought it looked too untidy and got rid of it - then someone told him just how much it would cost to replace so I doubt if Neil's wages would run to using it as a lamp oil.

Edited By Frances IoM on 23/03/2020 19:16:55

Edited By Frances IoM on 23/03/2020 19:17:38

23/03/2020 16:54:05
being stuck (for reasons beyond my control) I'm sitting it out in the UK - being in the Wrinkly's group I made it round the very local Waitrose at 8.15 whilst shelves were being restocked (they were 99% empty on Sunday) so food not a problem at present - my small garden neglected as being scared of restarting back trouble is surrounded by neighbours 6ft fences seems to have attracted the local urban fox as its preferred convenience - any suggestion as to how to discourage it as the local council says they don't 'do' foxes
Thread: Working mild to hard steel
22/03/2020 16:53:05
I suspect the Warco WM180 or lookalikes are at the entry level that will do what you want tho not always conveniently as changing gears for screwcutting is not that quick and it won't do LH threads nor is there any easy way of mounting material on the cross-slide for simple milling (tho both these can be overcome with various modifications) - if you intend to do much screw cutting then a machine with a gearbox makes life easier but check it will do the range of imperial (BSF) and the more common these days metric threads.

The 1.7m will be barely enough to fit a lathe and a mill with its table, side by side
Thread: Positioning of workshop lights
22/03/2020 10:24:26
in my cellar workshop with restricted ceiling height I mounted several 600x600 panels (each 30W-40W max) close to the ceiling - they replaced a number of spot lamps so stuck the drivers into to hole where the 50W lamp used to be - get much more uniform illumination - have a couple of small spots on stalks for use on mill + lathe
Thread: LBSC's Designs
17/03/2020 18:51:36
lookup Lewis Carroll - Hunting of the Snark -
17/03/2020 18:00:45
Re the Baker is it a ref to the Hunting of the Snark - the Baker called out thinking he'd found it but then disappeared for it was a Boojum he had found.
The other one I recall from my sheltered childhood is B*gg*rs Uncle but what or who that is I can't think
16/03/2020 12:45:11
Howard why do you think the Council elections due in May have been postponed for a year - they don't want a lot of bolshie councils elected by the youngsters!

Edited By Frances IoM on 16/03/2020 12:47:01

14/03/2020 19:44:13
Mick
Thought this had been well explained - it is the loading on Intensive care beds that is the worry as the NHS does not have enough for the worse case peak - seasonal flu seems to kill not so much by the virus but the various bacteria that come along for the ride in a weakened immune system.

The Spanish flu was another 'novel' variant + particularly nasty to the young + healthy who died by their immune system going into hyperdrive but don't forget in 1919 there was famine in Germany + Austria - the UK was pretty close to this as well from 1917 onwards - the U-boats sank much shipping + the Royal Navy blockaded food reaching Germany + Austria - modern siege warfare

Edited By Frances IoM on 14/03/2020 19:45:05

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Warco
Allendale Electronics
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest