By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Frances IoM

Here is a list of all the postings Frances IoM has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Social Distancing
03/08/2020 16:30:35
How did we end up here ? - BBC R4 has an attempt that started in the 1950s with the smoking causes cancer debate when a bunch of companies deliberately set out to instil doubt by use of dodgy science + 'experts' who had skin in the game to keep people smoking or believed that such health warnings were the slippery road to communism! - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000l7q1
Thread: Coping with deafness
03/08/2020 08:20:09
my two suggestions were a dog (very difficult to ignore tho continual maintenance is needed) but also a buzzer these, possibly driven by a slightly higher voltage, can be very loud but also the vibrations coupled to door frames etc seems to travel better in traditional built houses than a bell.

Edited By Frances IoM on 03/08/2020 08:20:43

01/08/2020 16:30:56
get her a dog?

otherwise can she hear low frequencies if so set up a 100Hz buzzer or similar
Thread: Opions sought on using the USB Photo Stick for photo storage
30/07/2020 09:29:55
I have some 200,000 photos of documents done for research over 20+years (easier to photo in archives + read etc at home) - just choose a good long term stable linux system (eg Mint or Debian) + database (in my case this is an old Filemaker than has now been used for 25yrs) + merely duplicate harddrives overnight - linux unlike windoze or apple allows transfer of hard drives between cpus - in my case Lenovo laptops of various vintages none of which cost me more than ?120 + often less + a collection of desktops for various duties (eg in absence of a special hd duplicator to duplicate hard drives using dd command.

Edited By Frances IoM on 30/07/2020 09:31:03

Thread: Arduino Gear Hobber
29/07/2020 07:30:54
Joe - your posts + those from other Transmarines (a quaint term found in Manx deeds as 'beyond the seas') would be the ones I would really miss if they stopped.
Thread: Higher trolley for surface plate?
27/07/2020 19:37:23
I have a granite surface plate (about 12" sq) installed in a pull out drawer - you can (or at least could) buy the heaver duty telescopic slides as once used in 19" racks to allow heavy computers to be pulled right out for access to rear connectors - I hung onto a couple of sets when the original equipment was retired - one is now used to allow an air compressor to be easily removed from a cupboard under a bench
Thread: Bulbs Electric Life of
25/07/2020 17:04:40
the 12v red LEDs I have consist of 5 minicards each containing 2 modules comprising 3 v small Leds and current limiting resistor - these minicards arranged arranged around the axis of the bulb topped by another card also containing 3 3-leds etc all fed in parallel from the 12v - the fixing base being a small bayonet - height above the base 30mm (the small bayonet is abt 20mm deep - guess arranged thus to provide a fair amount of redundancy
24/07/2020 22:38:20
I have about 20 small bayonet fitting 12v red led bulbs (intended for stop lights in cars ?)- acquired along with some more useful bulbs at auction for about ?1.50 - any use ? - if so PM me - happy to send you some.
Thread: Son`s mini lathe Clarke CL300
16/07/2020 16:00:04
Seeing as Barrie has mentioned it - 1% - 1.5% of TT competitors die due to crashes (high % of these are first time riders), a similar number have life changing injuries - however even those less injured and recover often come back to race again.
Thread: Laser DRO sensor
09/07/2020 16:26:47
the article by Mark Noel answers some of the accuracy + repeatability questions -
08/07/2020 23:04:42
Found the ref to Mark Noel's article - MEW March 2014 pp19-21 - he considers the scales that are needed that are needed - possibly the 1st such article ?
08/07/2020 16:09:48
there is an article by Mark Noel some years ago along the same lines (he never lets a good bit of amenity centre throwout go to waste!) - think it was in MEW - he looked at how linear and repeatable were the measurements.

The mechanism used to find X + Y movement is to find the shift between samples of the pattern seen by the small camera chip - dim memories of 16 by 16 2D FFTs ring a bell as cross correlation of the 2 images is required. ETA I think it is actually done by lookup table as the small image is thresholded against average of the 256pels to give a 16x16 array of 0s and 1s then this 8bit value is applied as the lower 8bits with the previous 8bits as the upper 8bits to a 64k memory programmed to provide the correct X + Y shifts

Edited By Frances IoM on 08/07/2020 16:32:53

Thread: MEW295
08/07/2020 10:30:34
since the contents are over 25% from previously published material (including at least 1 that is on this forum ) I guess little proof reading was thought necessary - distinctly poor after Feb's issue (the last pre covid) - I would have thought that editing + proof reading were almost ideal home-based jobs.
Thread: LED GLS bulbs
07/07/2020 10:31:26
Here in the SE there are definitely spikes or missing half cycles on the mains supply - two devices on separate rings seem prone - both have clocks (one a kitchen clock radio + the other a fancy timer to allow recording from the radio - both are now getting on in years) - the spikes occur some time after midnight and before 7am - I suspect some load switching by the supplier
Thread: Parvalux motor
04/07/2020 12:54:30
simplest is two 12V batteries in series - however it depends on what current is required (car batteries will supply 40+ Amps but not for long - utility batteries will tolerate deeper discharges) and for what operation you need the motor for
Thread: Stroboscopic effect
28/06/2020 16:43:21
it is true that the power for small LEDs from the mains adapter is rectified supersonic frequency to allow use of a very small isolation transformer (one of mine is probably around 12kHz as I can still hear the slight buzz - however in the cheap drivers I have seen this HF oscillator is driven by a poorly smoothed rectified mains thus the HF oscillator is modulated at 100Hz and there is definitely a stroboscopic effect

Edited By Frances IoM on 28/06/2020 16:44:04

Thread: POCKETMAGS works with WINDOWS 10 and WINDOWS 8.2
25/06/2020 17:36:25
is there going to be a Linux version - or is the tracking requirement a commercial requirement that once having bought a sub your subsequent operations are equally tracked (eg a Kindle reports back to base every page turn etc - I'm guessing that the pocketmag app also reports back to base
Thread: Pesky Government Announcement!
20/06/2020 14:49:10
"Strangers turn up at your home demanding to know what you've been looking at. Truly frightening." but for anything consumed over the internet all this is already known to the commercial companies including the BBC which gets more like the old Soviet model each day - have a look at the article in the IET re how much info you can get hold off eg Amazon keeps track of every page turn in your Kindle - the level of data collection + retention is staggering - that once touted NHS app (your duty to download) will resurface in Android's ability to plot the time and distance from any tracking beacon in a shopping mall etc - Apple at least had the guts to block this level of detailed tracking
20/06/2020 10:07:26
I have two properties no tv in either -one in UK where I have a 10yr+ collection of such letters - the IoM one also gets such letters tho here the detector people were wont to come over and 'work' the Island for a few days until one of the Manx nationalist groups complained to the court that the these people were in paid employment without the necessary work permits and their employers no longer protected as civil servants were liable for a substantial fine! - red faces all round when they won the argument
20/06/2020 09:42:42
I have seen many a horse fly however - I did see once a PO van with the impressive rotating 'antenna' (think of two large ice cream cones joined at the wide end) on the roof - whether it was a sham I don't know

Edited By Frances IoM on 20/06/2020 09:43:16

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
EngineDIY
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Warco
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest