By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Frances IoM

Here is a list of all the postings Frances IoM has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Online ME index
17/01/2020 13:25:33
It may be worthwhile contacting SMEE (London) as I recall during a presentation on Crebbin + his loco in which the archivist stated that Roger Backhouse had used an early index put together by her father + not published
Thread: Windows 7 support ends
15/01/2020 19:21:40
you can keep many 'antique' XP + win7 programs alive under Linux + WINE or under a virtual 'antique' machine running on more modern hardware - the significant problems are with hardware drivers that were not rewritten or updated for later Windoze offerings but the hardware (eg Scanners is still operational)
Thread: PSU for anodising.
14/01/2020 22:54:02
multi-amp 3.3V or 5V are available from many computer PSU's - they generally cost less that ?5 at my local auction house - 12V high current (80A+) tend to be somewhat more expensive especially if they come with many 4 or 6pin graphics card interfaces as these are popular with bit-coin miners
Thread: Australian Bush Fires
13/01/2020 07:42:42
there are wild wallabies on the Isle of Man - been established for many years in the curraghs an area of damp tree covered ground once used for peat extraction - originated by escapees from the nearby wild life park but they have now migrated to other areas on the Island.
Thread: Best charts to find rod max / min diameters for BSW and Metric and BA
12/01/2020 16:47:39
try Harold Hall's excellent + relatively cheap Metalworkers data book - http://www.homews.co.uk/page32a.html

the bible of course is Machinery's? Handbook (I'm away from my copy so can't quote current ed but quite a bit more expensive that Harold's book (well thumbed in my workshop)
Thread: New legislation that could affect us all.
08/01/2020 19:22:18
in many loos (ladies for use of) the seat + lid have to be down to operate the flush button
Thread: Stuck Chuck
07/01/2020 22:36:12
have you tried one of the freezer sprays directed at the adapter (via the protruding screw_ - possibly using a thin cardboard to isolate the chuck from the spray - might give just enough movement to free a stuck thread - have the screwdriver ready but not inserted until you reckon the adapter is cold enough
Thread: Colour matching.
01/01/2020 23:53:23
unlikely unless you are already into photogramy + have calibrated your camera + monitor
You can buy small sheets showing a range of standard colours (I've seen them around (possibly free) at UK National Archives at Kew but not my interest) - photographing the object + including one of these small sheets will probably give you a good indication tho even here different lighting may well affect your camera response
Thread: 3mm drill hole too tight for 3mm bar
31/12/2019 15:44:03
to what 'precision' are you working - did you measure the carbide - did you ream the hole or just use a nominal 3mm drill (+ is the hole actually circular ?) - a useful measure for small holes is a set of drill blanks from the number sequence used in conjunction with your micrometer.
Thread: Archiving old data
25/12/2019 18:46:58
I regularly handle 450 year old rag paper documents - still as readable as the day they were written - catch is their information density is somewhat low but would 450 old documents describing early computer viruses specific to long dead O/S be of any interest.
Thread: Heatshrink tubing
20/12/2019 19:12:10
probably too late now as most close over Xmas holidays but most electrical factors eg City electrical, TLC etc carry it but its not cheap
Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
13/12/2019 15:32:32
Will it actually fit through the door from its present home?
Thread: scam emails
28/11/2019 20:38:21
since many nominally British companies (eg Thames Water) use, in their case South African, others, including certain telecoms companies use Indian call centres is anyone really surprised that some details seem to leak ?
Thread: Tapping a nylon hole.
26/11/2019 20:56:09
just use delrin (other trade names available) - takes threads very well just use sharp cutters, dies + taps - expect your lathe to be covered in a snake like fine swarf that wraps itself around everything; other than that very pleasant to handle.
Thread: Precision Tool Vice Type 2
20/11/2019 10:05:12
My damage was done when I had a number of identical items to fettle in the mill - their size was just about the distance apart of the slots in the base thus if I loosened the jaw a tad to remove an item the next would fit in + all ok but if I loosened just a little more the nut slipped into the adjacent groove + the screw contacted the table
19/11/2019 06:35:08
yes had the same damage - it's something to do with the initial position of the jaws wrt to the tightening nut - my solution was always to push the jaw up to the item then tighten
Thread: Screwcutting on the lathe
17/11/2019 20:23:37
M18 x 1.5mm is a fairly common thread - taps + dies should be available - easy to find such advertised
Thread: Who invented the elastic band?
15/11/2019 16:47:33
I suspect the rubber band in the OP was merely wound up!
Thread: new computer
04/11/2019 21:53:42
what is the make and model of your existing machine ? also what is the size of the hard drive (if over 320G (or more usually 160GB) then almost certainly a SATA - the two killers of hard drives are heat (in laptops usually caused by clogged filters as air flow is generally poor) or power supply glitches (eg operating near motors etc) replacement PATA drives are available often at relatively low prices - if it was a near top of the range business machine of that vintage it probably has a SATA interface and a hard drive replacement + extra memory will be all that is required. I'd only consider buying a new one if your needs have changed (eg you are trying to get into CAD)
03/11/2019 18:18:36
Often the local CEX shop has ex Business HP or Dell desktops for around ?80 to ?100 - our local auction house usually have similar machines for less than ?30 but they will be running Win7 or even XP - one attraction of these older machines is that they often have both PATA (the wide cable) and SATA (narrow cable) interfaces and are easily made to run Linux which allows straightforward copying of older hard drives to the newer and generally larger SATA drives

You can of course merely extract the computer motherboard and move it to your existing tower as all fittings were standardised by IBM many years ago Should also add that upgrading these older machines to the maximum memory 4GB or 16GB is usual limit is again very cheap and will give you an even better response than a SSD.

Edited By Frances IoM on 03/11/2019 18:21:39

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
mid gard rail Jan 2020
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest