By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Frances IoM

Here is a list of all the postings Frances IoM has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cable Gland?
13/07/2019 16:57:33
why not make a top hat out of copper (or ali) that can be fitted into a standard T junction and reach down into the water with the temp sensor tightly fitted into drilled holes into top of the T possibly packed with thermal paste if sloppy fitting - the top hat is so will seal when fitted into the T junction

Edited By Frances IoM on 13/07/2019 16:58:26

Thread: Off road bike gates
13/07/2019 13:23:18
gated cattle grids with a sprung side gate for pedestrians that open outwards thus making difficult for motorcyclists without having to get off bike
Narrow tyred bikes can be detered by drainage covers arranged to have gaps oriented in direction of travel but mountain wide tyred bikes are difficult to deter.

There are a minority (small but not inconsiderable) that cause significant damage to tracks on the Isle of Man - destroying thin cover on hillsides leads to drainage channels that erode more of the path during heavy rain
Thread: An electrostatic mystery ...
13/07/2019 09:21:04
there must be many on this forum old enough to remember the Flash Gordon or other 'space' adventures being part of the Sat morning matinees for kids at the local cinema (or as my father called it the local bug + flea exchange) - huge sparks were a common feature of all alien or villains' lairs - mother reckoned the 3d was good bargain to get rid of the kids for a morning as us older children had to take our younger siblings as part of the package.
Thread: milling machine issue
11/07/2019 16:10:50
do you mean the Jacobs chuck ? if so then totally unsuitable for milling especially with the size of cutter you are using - you must use a milling collet (eg an ER-type or a collet held in by the drawbar)
11/07/2019 15:31:49
I assume you have the drawbar tightened ? and that you can alter the speed as already pointed out it is excessive for steel - also are you trying to plunge cut with the 16mm cutter which it won't of course do!
Also if you are using the quill have you locked the head as it sounds as though the spindle and or head are still free to move
Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
08/07/2019 20:42:47
Dave - A local society might have a society honey extractor otherwise can be expensive (I used a friend's for my single hive which could be extremely productive as the local park was in easy flight distance) - also are you fully equipped with necessary clothing + also the required anti mite treatment etc
I briefly kept bees but found they needed almost constant presence when the signs of swarming were seen - otherwise a swarm will not amuse neighbours especially if they are worried about children - you may well need help to handle a swarm that has decided to settle in an awkward to reach place. My hive was in a centre of town garden but high fences and a shed/aviary formed my neighbours boundaries hence the bee-lines were well above 6 ft until one neighbour removed the aviary and the bee-line lowered after which complaints!
08/07/2019 19:27:12
have you seen any other hives within a few hundred yards? - also some strains are more vicious than others and it may well be worthwhile asking a local bee keeper if they can find you a fairly easy going strain.

Edited By Frances IoM on 08/07/2019 19:28:08

Edited By Frances IoM on 08/07/2019 19:28:46

Thread: Small modeling lathe
08/07/2019 10:02:48
Bob: I don't think Niels is wasting his time if the aim is to demonstrate that a more capable lathe could be built within the confines of a WM180 foot print - whether such a creation could ever be taken up and produced for the low price of the WM180 is extremely doubtful but the discussion of small changes etc to improve certain aspects would be useful.

However there are several existing web blogs some dating back 10 years or so on various mods to improve the WM180 - maybe these could be collated and the info archived before the usual web-rot sets in as sites disappear or photos hosted on 'free' sites are deleted as sites become no longer free.
08/07/2019 08:13:04
Niels: the WM180 is adequate for the tasks I use it for - I have a small cellar workshop so space and access somewhat restricted - the two annoyances I have are the awkward + restricted nature of gear changes if you want to screw cut and the lack of T-slots or room to put mounting holes on the cross slide.

As to your 'painted tart' - each to their own - some enjoy making tools other see this solely as a means to enable other tasks and somewhat begrudge the time spent
07/07/2019 21:18:48
I don't have an adapt but I do have one of its competitors a flexispeed student - but I have a WM180, a Perris Me90 and also a Taig - the latter is probably the most usable cheap lathe I've seen, the Perris is the precursor to the now very expensive Cowells

Given sufficient time and some expertise the adapt can probably produce acceptable small scale work but it depends on what the OP envisages using it for.
07/07/2019 20:08:12
what do you plan on using it for ? Don't forget it was the lowest priced lathe of its period some 70+ years ago - repainted it will probably look good as an ornament but as a serious lathe no way.
Thread: How to use a round column mill
04/07/2019 18:46:17
there are several examples from the early days of cnc'ing a Sieg SX1 of filling the column with resin bonded granite chips - claimed to dampen vibrations
Thread: Possible New Internet Scam to be Aware of.
22/06/2019 19:49:04
I looked after a friends affairs after he had a stoke - one of the carers stole two cheques from two books (one personal + 1 a care account) carefully in middle of each book (obviously a pro at this) - he merely forged the name which should have been obvious to the bank as my friend had lost use of right hand and were had registered 2 supplied handstamps to act as signatures - banks did refund money - thief got 6 months suspended for this and at least one other similar theft whilst employed as a carer it was only that one cheque would overdraw the care account that triggered a check - trying to get police involved was very difficult and this was just at the beginning of the cuts.

Edited By Frances IoM on 22/06/2019 19:49:35

Edited By Frances IoM on 22/06/2019 19:50:33

Thread: Chinese tacho - beware
20/06/2019 23:14:52
The Fluke multimeters are tested and callibrated on an instrument .. codename 'Baldrick'.
I guess anything that passes this must be a fluke (always thought they had picked a very poor name for a supposed accurate instrument)
Thread: Coal Merchants Wagons
20/06/2019 17:47:30
In the book The Bassett-Lowke story by Roland Fuller (1984) there are photos of various gauge 1 + larger wagons etc - it would appear that B-L would supply special one-off models
Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
19/06/2019 19:01:40
I bought at auction for a very low price a 12V sump oil pump thinking it may be useful in workshop but on reading the fine print it has do not use for water. Not sure quite why but may well be material used for any impeller ?
Thread: Metal Bandsaw - Chester H80 or Warco CY90
18/06/2019 09:51:00
I have a H80 - works well enough - there are many small improvements online or in MEW re improved holding of the metal to allow smaller pieces to be cut etc - the supplied stand is pretty useless but can be improved - use bimetallic blades and spend some time setting it up then you will get very acceptable results up to its recommended limits 80mm pushable in one dimension to about 100mm.
Thread: Electricity Supply
14/06/2019 16:48:53
yes we could go back to 200yrs ago - minor problem is the disposal of maybe 4billion people - maybe a few unchecked epidemics or a war in some heavily populated but isolated area would suffice.
Thread: Illegal CD copy
13/06/2019 18:51:38
nobody is denying authors a just return - at one time the copyright period was 19 years during which the author was expected to earn sufficient - 75 years post death means that it is the grandchild who benefits or as is usually the case some corporate body. Any author submitting material to MEW etc is paid - this should be the reward(ie work for hire) the publisher can build into the payment expected money from selling copies on DVD once the printed copies are no longer readily available (eg 2 years from publication)
Thread: Gents impulse clock
13/06/2019 16:24:11
why not just extract the mechanism from a radio controlled clock or even the many GPS rcvrs that push out the time accurate to microseconds!
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
Meridienne Sept 2019
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest