By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for alan ord 2

Here is a list of all the postings alan ord 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: DTI Spares / Repairs
21/01/2022 16:48:17

Bo'sun thanks for your advice. I contacted Bowers and they informed me they don't have spares. However he said that they had a unit returned faulty and he will send it out to me FOC.

Great company and customer service.

Alan.

20/01/2022 16:45:50

Thanks Bo'sun. I did not know that. I thought M & W went out of business years ago. I will try Bowers.

Thanks,

Alan.

20/01/2022 15:28:05

Hi can anybody help me and tell me where I can get spares for a Moore & Wright DTI. The small plastic lever on the side of mine has broken. I recall reading an article some months ago (I think it was on this forum) of a company who carries out repairs. I have searched the forum and read quite a few posts regarding DTI's but can't find anything. I will try searching the internet next but as a last resort I will try and make a replacement.

Alan.

Thread: The ultimate project?
07/01/2022 12:09:58

If you like cutting gears, this is the project for you. First time I have seen a square gear!!!!!!

Alan.

Thread: Chester Craftsman or Crusader?
06/01/2022 20:48:19

Hi Colin, I have a Chester DB11 Lathe and very happy with it. Does everything I want it to do. As for customer service I have never really had a bad experience. I also have a Chester Super Lux Mill, a Chester Champion 20VS Mill and a Chester multi former. So I am a little biased but happy all the same.

Alan.

Thread: Rivetting
19/12/2021 19:56:25

Bill there is a hand rivet sueezer described in an old ME mag 15th May 1987. I made one last year and have rivetted hundreds of rivets with it. If you don't have a copy and want one contact me through the forum and I will send you a copy, including some improvements I made.

Alan

Thread: Gentlemen a problem for you to answer
13/12/2021 14:55:01

Michael, if you go into my photos you will see the version I made. Very simple and I made it in a few weeks. The design was published in an old ME mag. If you need the mag issue number etc. or a photo copy let me know.

Alan

13/12/2021 14:54:59

Michael, if you go into my photos you will see the version I made. Very simple and I made it in a few weeks. The design was published in an old ME mag. If you need the mag issue number etc. or a photo copy let me know.

Alan

Thread: Decent hacksaw blades
14/11/2021 20:26:35

Lenox. Best blades in the US and can be purchased in the UK.

Alan.

Thread: R8 Help me please!
26/05/2021 15:31:05

+1 for Andrew. I took the grub screw out of my mill a few years ago. Never had a problem.

Alan.

Thread: Four facet drill grinding.
27/04/2021 20:05:28

Bob D thanks for the info. I will dig out the articles.

Alan

Thread: B&D workmate
26/04/2021 19:39:24

MichaelG, the article is pretty accurate. I worked at B&D Spennymoor for many years and know the design guys involved with the workmate development. B&D rebuffed his approach many times until in the end B&D decided to carry out a market analysis using a batch of prototype units. Some were given to employees to report back on. Needless to say there was very good feedback and as they say the rest is history. He was certainly persistent and confident in what he had designed.

Alan.

Edited By alan ord 2 on 26/04/2021 19:43:14

Thread: Four facet drill grinding.
26/04/2021 19:22:49

Thanks MichaelG but I was somewhat fortuitous. I took a punt and started searching ME first from the last issue. Checking each vol index until I got to the 2015 article. I wasn't going to go much further before abandoning ME and going onto MEW and EIM indexes. So think I was lucky.

Regards,

Alan.

26/04/2021 17:55:47

I've found it.

ME Vol 215 issue 4513 2015 by D.A.G. Brown. The reason I could not find it using the on line index was because the title of the article is "Further Developments in Drill Sharpening"

Dementia not just yet!!!!

Thanks to all for your advice.

Alan.

26/04/2021 17:17:53

Thanks Alain, I did see that ref in the online index and I do have the mag. But I'm sure there was a more recent article published in the last few years. If all else fails I will have to do it the hard way and do a manual search.

Alan.

26/04/2021 16:59:59

Help!! I am trying to find an article on 4 facet drill sharpening published in either ME, MEW or EIM. I'm sure I read an article in the last few years. I have tried searching the on line index of published articles, using various combinations for the search without success. There are older articles pre 2008 but I'm sure there was a more recent article. Does anybody know what the mag and issue or date was. I'm pretty sure I'm not suffering from the onset of dementia. At least I hope not!!!!!

Alan.

Thread: Taps with plus sizes?
31/03/2021 20:32:28

Old Mart you are correct. I used to source pre plating taps, which are slightly oversize for the tapped hole in a component. After plating the tapped hole is to the correct size.

This is common in industry.

Alan.

Edited By alan ord 2 on 31/03/2021 20:33:34

Edited By alan ord 2 on 31/03/2021 20:34:18

Thread: Buffing and Polishing
31/03/2021 15:18:34

James / Trevor thanks for the contact info. Based upon what has already been mentioned I will need a couple of additional stitched wheel mops and will give them a try. Machine Mart can be very expensive.

Steve thanks for the picture, printed a copy.

Pete, I will be using a Record 200mm (8 inch) bench top grinder. I have removed the grinding wheels and guards. Rated at 500 watts and 2800 rpm. Should be OK.

Alan.

30/03/2021 20:01:58

Thanks all for your advice. Much appreciated. Hopper / David, I hadn't thought about the black mess etc.!!! I'm sure I would have realized as soon as I started to use it. Will use a face visor in addition to a mask and have a screen behind.

Steve, are the polishing compound colours standard. I did buy a small tester set from Machine Mart and they had the same colours.

Alan.

30/03/2021 11:13:42

I am setting up a polishing station in my workshop and need some guidance.

There are two types of wheel mops, stitched and unstitched. I am guessing that the unstitched is for final buffing and the stitched is for applying the polishing medium. Is this correct?

Secondly there are various types of medium for different metals / plastics, ranging from course to fine. How do you prevent residual cross contamination between course and fine mediums? Do I need a wheel for each type of medium. I bought Stan Bray's book on Grinding, Honing and Polishing WPS 41 but very limited information on polishing.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
rapid Direct
Warco
MIDLNDS GARDEN RAIL Jan 2022
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest