By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Clive India

Here is a list of all the postings Clive India has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Why mostly manual cars in UK
06/12/2019 08:55:40
Posted by KWIL on 04/12/2019 15:08:13:

More expensive to buy, more expensive to repair, more expensive on fuel. Is there another reason?

Yes, they are worth it - does not matter to me how expensive to repair - it doesn't fail.

Not much more expensive to buy and not much more expensive on fuel but, FOR ME, worth it.

Thread: More evidence that the world has gone mad!
03/12/2019 09:14:18
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 03/12/2019 08:40:53:

Ah ... that nicely complements the infamous Scunthorpe problem MichaelG.

A friend came from there and, when he was away, called it Shorpe, since there wasn't one in Scunthorpe when he wasn't there!

Thread: LPG heater- fumes
30/11/2019 18:23:26
Posted by JA on 30/11/2019 16:54:13:

First Law of Thermodynamics?

JA

Please will you explain the point you are making.

29/11/2019 16:49:42

Has anyone gone for split aircon units - keep you warm in winter, cool in summer?

Thread: Martin Evans Lubricator free plans 1962 ME
27/11/2019 11:00:01

Have sent message. Maybe this is 1964?

Edited By Clive India on 27/11/2019 11:02:03

Thread: Milling Machines - Myford vs Sieg
31/10/2019 08:13:17

I have a single phase blue VMB with powered X axis, Allendale DRO and with original variable speed.

I have standardised on ER32 all round and I like the R8 taper.

Works very well for me - just 2 shortcomings....

No powered Z axis - a pain for long movements. I use a small re-chargeable screwdriver powering a socket instead of winding forever, but really needs the addition of a small motor. Not too difficult if you have the time.

There is also no column lock.

I have not looked at Sieg, but they may have those two features.

Thread: MIDLANDS MODEL ENGINEERING EXHIBITION
23/10/2019 07:53:22

Folks - it's simply a day out. For me it was good value and interesting, with food of reasonable quality and price.

Perhaps not as good for you - It's never going to be like it was.

Times change. That's how it is. If you don't like it - don't go.

Thread: Reilang oil cans
14/10/2019 09:09:57
Posted by thaiguzzi on 14/10/2019 07:00:54

I dunno what it is with Reilangs, prolly a bit like Myfords - blinded by the brand.

I have one, a lovely alloy bodied 500ml version, too big and bulky for machine tools, it's relegated to the motorcycle side of the workshop.

But, it's no better than the version Vic linked to above, for putting oil into ball oilers.

I have used for years these cheapo Chinese oil cans, choice of hard or flexy spout, never a problem. And out here, a 200-250-350ml version is 2.50 quid.

Never broken one, and if i did, i'll get another 2.50 GBP one.

Oh and the Castrol version; a Fiver extra because it's green with Castrol written on it...

Go figure...

Nowt as queer as folk...

Agree - nothing exceptional about Reiling - stick to my Wesco.

Thread: MIDLANDS MODEL ENGINEERING EXHIBITION
08/10/2019 09:30:28
Posted by Rik Shaw on 20/06/2019 10:31:09:No WARCO at this "do" either crying. On the positive side there may be a little more room to move about!. Rik.

I'm told the erstwhile Warco space has been filled by smaller traders. Probably a bit of an exaggeration but, for me, a move in the right direction. It's the really small companies that make the trader part of the show worthwhile for me. From experience, I can manage very well without Warco in my life - particularly the grumpy old men I tried to talk to on their stand.

That said, it is usually a good show - although I can get round it in about 90mins, including dinner. Presume Meccano will win the stand prize with their Eiffel Tower - is that really model engineering?

Thread: citric acid
25/09/2019 09:03:15
Posted by Clive India on 24/09/2019 07:54:51:

Adding a small amount of bleach fixes the mould problem for me.

Just a reminder wink

24/09/2019 07:54:51

Adding a small amount of bleach fixes the mould problem for me.

Edited By Clive India on 24/09/2019 07:58:27

Thread: Dumb question from a none driver
21/09/2019 09:52:48
Posted by FMES on 21/09/2019 09:22:54:

First of all I feel I must apologise for trying to be helpful and creating a post that was not only mis read, (Mainly by my initial omission), and giving the barrack room lawyers a field day.I was clearer in my second post that I was referring to the VIEW OF THE DVLA, I have never mentioned anything else about ownership.Didn't stop all those people trying to find fault though did it?To answer Neils last post on the subject - and I asked local plod about this- if you are stopped by the police you will normally be asked 'Is this your vehicle' NOT are you the owner, a small difference admittedly but they will already have done / be doing an ANPR to check for the Registered keeper, and they are looking for that data to match up with proof of identity being required. Regards

Well said FMES.

However, I think you would do better to ask someone who knows, rather than asking on a model engineering blog where, although some contributors are knowledgeable in model engineering and associated matters, the knowledge on other matters is, let's be generous, variable.

Thread: Petrol Gen for 7 1/4 locomotive
15/09/2019 10:59:04

Andy, the answer is yes. I can see the attraction - many of the generators available are compact and fairly quiet.

Work back from the power at the output to get the power you need to generate at 240 a.c. - it will not be 100% efficient but that will give you a starting point to work from. There are some quite small, relatively inexpensive pulse bench power supplies available, taking mains voltage and producing 12 or 24v, with current limiting, at reasonably high currents. These might be worth a try?

Like Clive says, a bench mock-up would be good. Be careful though, it might be just a small generator but it is mains voltage from a low impedance source, so it can be dangerous.

Thread: Ultrasonic toothbrushes
25/08/2019 09:25:12
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 23/08/2019 18:34:34:

Well he succeeded in putting me off a career in veterinary medicine... the thought of being shoulder deep in the wrong end of a cow! Neil

Like other things in this category Neil - it's only a sin if you enjoy it! wink

Thread: Digital calipers made in same factory?
15/08/2019 09:24:48
Posted by Chris Evans 6 on 15/08/2019 09:05:12:

I have said before on digital calliper posts that I use Aldi ones as every day tools. Every bit as accurate and smooth as my Mitutoyo and SPI branded ones. I butchered an Aldi 6" one to make a readout for the lathe tailstock around 18 months ago, still running on its original battery. The posh ones do come out of the box for some jobs but by the very nature of design are not really that accurate if you are chasing precision. Most of my jobs are only to a couple of thou so a calliper does the job and at £8 it does not matter if it is dropped.

Yes!!

I also got one with the fractions option, thinking it would be, just like Thomas, really useful.
I find this option a really useless waste of time and money.

Thread: electric paint sprayers
11/08/2019 11:57:37

Dare I say it - use an airbrush on a "silent" compressor but buy a Badger.

Thread: Chosing a drill grinding attachment or machine
11/08/2019 11:53:46

Just a little confusing this. Opinions range from don't touch Sealey or drill Doctor to I get on OK with them. Consensus seems to be they are OK, providing you take the time to set them properly.

If you get as far as you would like to buy one of them, the Sealey is £50, the Drill Doctor equivalent is £150.
They look different, but look similar quality, if you see what I mean.

Thread: Boiler testers and material verification
07/08/2019 19:17:12
Posted by Baz on 07/08/2019 16:52:39:

........... I would love someone to tell me where in the rule book traceability for copper boilers is mentioned. ........

Can only find the following in Vol 1, 7.4, but maybe enough? Dunno! I'm not clever enough.

The Inspector shall satisfy himself:

a.That the materials used are of adequate thickness and the correct specification.

b.That, where required by the build procedure, the relevant material certificates are provided.

Thread: Another scam
07/08/2019 13:29:50
Posted by Clive Hartland on 07/08/2019 07:34:40:

Heres a new one, had an email saying, 'Are you from London Clive'. I deleted it and then came another much the same. I answered this and came a repliy, 'I live near you'. can we meet up. Giving her name as Mary!She said she had got my email addy from a dating site ? and listed a dating site page and added her Nom-de-Plume as , 'Mary-Jane' I had a look but you needed to sign up and I did not.Now this morning another email which I did not bother to read and deleted, this even after telling her I was 82 and recently bereaved and had never been on a dating site, Whoo. She said she was, 'Gorgeous'.At my age and a trapped nerve not very likely I can tell you! I can't even walk the dog. Clive

Could give you more of a buzz than bee-keeping Clive wink

Thread: Boiler testers and material verification
07/08/2019 10:23:04

Posted by 34046 on 07/08/2019 09:58:42:

What I would like to know. You buy certified materials, build boiler and have it certified by the boiler inspector.

If it failed and injured a member of the public, who would be faced with a claim - would it be you or the boiler inspector or both ? Bill

I think it would be you initially as you are the owner - or your club if you were running at a club public function.

If you had done as you say, and there were no other issues suggesting negligence, then you have operated in good faith. You may have to sue the club whose inspector you used (the inspector is not legally responsible), or a contract inspector, if you were being sued yourself.

That is why we have public liability insurance.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
ChesterUK
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest