By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Clive India

Here is a list of all the postings Clive India has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Wow, what a battery
04/04/2020 08:28:15
Posted by John Olsen on 04/04/2020 00:55:17:

....Buying stuff on the Internet is the modern equivalent of buying from those ads on the back of comic books.

John

Are we talking about such worthy contenders as Gamages or Headquarter and General supply?

No harm in it really - the spec is so obviously nonsense it's not worth working it all out.

Much of the Chinese stuff will fail if you drive it to the full spec.

Example - the variable mark/space ratio speed controllers that the uninformed call PWM. Cheap and cheerful, good value and they work, but don't try working them at their rated output for long.

Thread: New design of mains plug?
01/04/2020 16:16:36
Posted by not done it yet on 01/04/2020 13:03:59:

............. But do remember the fuse in the plug is protecting the connecting lead, not the appliance.

Yes! Most are ignoring this though wink

01/04/2020 12:53:10
Posted by Mike Poole on 01/04/2020 11:52:27:

While we are locked down let’s check our houses and own up on here how many errors we findsmileyMike

Yes, why not ridicule yourself with armchair pontificators?wink

Thread: Buying online delivery problems.
27/03/2020 09:22:39
Posted by Howi on 27/03/2020 09:13:35:

Buying lots of bits and pieces on ebay, post office delivery seems quicker at the moment, no problems as of now. As I am now at home 24/7 apart from the daily constitutional in the morning, being in for delivery is no problem. Even had stuff from China!!!!!

Yes, me too - with no probs.

Even a PCB by sending files for construction by email, was made and in my hands today in 5 days.

Challenge Norah Doomsberg and the BBC to put a negative spin on that!

Thread: Powder coating
04/03/2020 14:02:28
Posted by Perko7 on 04/03/2020 11:28:54:

..... I have at times refurbished bicycles and I can confirm that removing properly applied powder coating is a lot harder than removing paint.

Very much agree - and that's a reasonable test.

Thread: Coal being phased out
28/02/2020 07:52:27
Posted by Samsaranda on 27/02/2020 13:27:53:

Just like to throw into the mix the magnetic North Pole is moving at an alarming rate because, supposedly the balance of the earth has been altered by the extraction of huge volumes of water in the Indian region and so much concrete has been erected in China, I fear we are all doomed ! Dave W

Nice one Dave - but I fear many have missed the joke. wink

Thread: Cable Gland
21/02/2020 09:26:23

Will this do it perhaps?

Thread: Drill sharpeners
19/02/2020 12:40:03
Posted by Mick B1 on 18/02/2020 17:22:41:
Posted by Clive India on 18/02/2020 16:33:31:

I have always used 118°

When would I need to use 135° please

When you're drilling thin section material and you want minimum burr on the far side. The drill bit acts a little more like a punch in the last few thou. But 135 is just one of a spectrum of values. The idea is to get the cylindrical land into the material before breakthrough.

Also the so-called 'crankshaft point' for deep holes in tough materials - but that name seems to be unfashionable nowadays. The point resembles some variants of the 4-facet, which is very much in fashion.

Thanks very much.

18/02/2020 16:33:31

I have always used 118°

When would I need to use 135° please

Thread: Delays in Shipping from China
12/02/2020 09:35:41

I often have PCBs made in China.

From sending layout gerber files by email to having PCBs in my hand - 6 days.

Delivery by DHL. Arrived today.

No problems there methinks.

Thread: Old Computers - why do people bother
02/02/2020 09:36:51

Am I alone in just wanting to buy a computer and use it and for it to work all the time without re-booting.

I don't want to partition drives, use Linux in it sometimes and switch this and that. I don't want some smart-arse to tell me to put in *FX15,1 and all will be marvelous - I just want one that works without any intervention from teccies.

As someone said - like the wife. Like the car. Like the TV.

Thread: Why does everyone disagree with you
28/01/2020 09:52:40

Transmitter cooling systems sometimes have a sacrificial anode. This is often made from a lead/antimony alloy. It wears away, instead of the active components, and gets replaced - easier and cheaper.

Is this thread the sacrificial anode for the forum as a whole?

I ask this simply because I can't figure out the value of the thread - I know I don't have to read it, but I get curiouswink

Thread: Merry Christmas Everybody!
25/01/2020 08:45:22
Posted by Ian S C on 25/01/2020 07:45:50:

Hi guys, Been out of action since October, I had to get a new password, I had to get back on line. Hope you are all well. I'v not gotten back to the workshop, but my thoughts have been, what will become of the workshop. Summer is here temp up around 32.7*C, and dry as a crisp. I'm a month out of hospital, so I may pick up again. Ian S C

I really hope you are getting on allright Ian, now you are home.

Thread: Can we have a really clear distinction between Silver Soldering and Brazing
22/01/2020 09:44:53
Posted by Steviegtr on 22/01/2020 01:12:33:

It's amazing how technology has moved on. We are talking about soldering & brazing to stick metal parts together. In the car industry they now stick (bond) car chassis to body components using glue. Stronger than welding. I have a fairly new car that is pretty much glued together. The whole body & chassis are made from alloy. Putting out 575 hp through the wheels & it's glued together. Forgot it has lots of plastic too. Not like my 1st Morris minor traveller. R.I.P.

Nice one. I agree, providing the correct glue is used for the job and the application notes are followed. No good just trying anything - research the most suitable, they did all that with your car!

21/01/2020 13:08:25
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 21/01/2020 12:30:19:

So ... The answer to the question posed by Chris is NO. MichaelG.

I agree - but it was good to watch the willie-waving!

Thread: Ally Pally Exhibition
20/01/2020 07:40:24
Posted by Clive India on 19/01/2020 16:14:41:

Did anyone take pictures? Could we see them?

Grateful for the pictures of posters of a bygone era - but no pictures of 2020 AP?

19/01/2020 16:14:41

Did anyone take pictures? Could we see them?

Thread: Only for Myford lathes
13/01/2020 12:44:15
Posted by ega on 13/01/2020 11:14:23:
Posted by Clive India on 13/01/2020 09:01:04:

Thus, it's about as good as it gets with a Super 7.

Sounds very nice; did it have a hardened bed?

Regret not - so nearly as good as it gets!

13/01/2020 09:01:04

My story. About 5 years ago I was in the position where I had a Myford Speed 10 which I had bought to get me started in the hobby. I decided to upgrade and wrote a list of where I was trying to get to.

This list was a Myford Super 7, gearbox, industrial stand, 2-axis DRO and variable speed.

I found one which had the ind. stand, 3 phase motor, gearbox, but was long bed, advertised in ME and bought it.

I added speed control first which enabled me to power it from single phase. I then added the DRO and, eventually, a tailstock read-out.

Thus, it's about as good as it gets with a Super 7. It copes with all I need to do in model engineering. Occasionally I dream of getting a Harrison 250 or 300, mainly because it's a "Big Boys Lathe" and I used a Harrison at school 60 years ago, but then I realise I can do everything I need to with what I have. Incidentally, it's a whole lot easier to find a Myford in good nick than it is a Harrison, which are mostly very much factory-worn.

Edited By Clive India on 13/01/2020 09:09:11

Thread: Ebay being clogged up by certain sellers
07/01/2020 08:04:35
Posted by fizzy on 05/01/2020 21:17:37:

dont take any notice of the location filter - the chinese all say they are UK based. Take a look at delivery time, anything over a week is suspect. I get annoyed by the advertised amount bearing no relationship to the actual amount...its a minefield!

Good advice Mr. Fizzy. They are getting slowly more adept at this illusion. There seems also to be a half-way-house where they actually do have an address in the UK and seem to be able to get the stuff within a week. It is easy to think the goods are in the UK when buying, but it becomes apparent afterwards when you get something in Chinglish like "Very much it is we want to make you happy"
Sometimes the actual company can be found at the end of the advert.

It is particularly annoying when you want something quickly and find it is not going to be like that - OK if you can spot it and take delivery time into account. I mostly want my stuff to come Royal Mail First Class but that gives way to free by some other method and no first class option on the assumption price is everything.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
ChesterUK
Warco
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest