By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for john carruthers

Here is a list of all the postings john carruthers has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Drill out a ht c/s allen screw
22/11/2017 08:36:56

I had success with an alum solution, it loosened it up enough to get it moving.
Otherwise, as suggested above, carbide mill/drill; or spark it out if you have access to an eroder?

Thread: Plumbers Black
13/11/2017 07:52:23

Yes, still use 'Zebo' on leaded lights. (do not tread it in the carpets :-/)

Thread: Lathe unwanted taper
11/11/2017 10:25:47

Try another chuck first? or turn between centres?

Edited By john carruthers on 11/11/2017 10:28:00

Thread: Metalworking files - Guidance required please
10/11/2017 08:24:34

+1 for Grobet-Vallorbe.
I got one here and there and now have 1,2 3 cut plus a big old dreadnought which eats ally and leaves a superb finish.
This year I intend to acquire some Tome Feteira, see how they compare.

John

Thread: Lathe unwanted taper
09/11/2017 07:42:42

Is it supported with the tailstock?
If so does the tailstock need adjusting?
You don't sat what diameter ally you are turning? could be deflection.

Thread: Gib material - Is brass best?
07/11/2017 08:16:51

I fitted brass gibs to my little Meteor II instead of the plastic. I also pinned them and it seemed to me to feel better.
It's not a major operation, try several materials, see what works best?

Thread: Spurious Accuracy
05/11/2017 08:58:38

As you say, temp is important, especially for optics. My 10" telescope mirror is better than 1/20 wave of sodium light, +/- aprox 1 millionth of an inch (0.0000254mm). I would figure for 5 minutes, then cool in a bucket of water at room temp for 15, then test, then repeat as necessary.
We have much to thank Léon Foucault for.

Thread: slit saw jams
04/11/2017 08:37:27

For slicing up MS stock I use a 1mm disc in an angle grinder, then clean it up after if required, usually it's quite a clean cut. I clamp a sacrificial guide to the work initially then let the tool do the work.

Thread: New (to me) small, old lathe; how to proceed?
31/10/2017 08:53:33

I'm a bit late but if you look in my Flexispeed album there is a manual for the Meteor II, very similar to the Simat 101.
**LINK**

Thread: What are these?
27/10/2017 09:07:50

I made a similar gadget to the one on the right for pulling the pinions from stepper motor shafts on telescope mounts.
Thjere are similar fittings to the brass one on the church lightning conductor.

Thread: John Stevenson
24/10/2017 08:48:18

A great loss, at least there is some small comfort that John's vast knowledge is not lost in this digital age. His wisdom will go on help generations of engineers.

Thread: Mini lathe chuck size
23/10/2017 08:57:05

some say the balance is improved if you plug the unused holes in the backplate ?

Thread: BA threads. Why the tpi?
23/10/2017 08:47:16

.>>.. small, well-intentioned threads.

What a delightful concept !! angel<<

and very polite.

Thread: John Stevenson
20/10/2017 16:41:06

Best wishes John, hurry back, I need some advice on an Aran ribbed jumper?
I'm using number 6 needles and the pattern says to increase every fourth row by one stitch, but this makes the straight ribbing a little crooked. Any thoughts?

Thread: Refurbishment of Antique Aneroid Barometer
20/10/2017 08:44:11

I had dozens of barometers on my bench, mainly for new front glass, (bevelled, polished and drilled), sometimes for new silk thread. I replaced the 'jewels' on a couple but it's seldom worth the cost.
I would use Rustins metal lacquer with a touch of turmeric for colour to finish the brass. They do look well if you re-blue any rusty screws too.

Thread: New chinese lathe or old Myford lathe
19/10/2017 08:40:00

I've had old and new machines. The old ones I spent more time fixing than using. The new ones are a joy.
Any problem (within reason) just pick up the phone for support, or to order spares and tooling.
One trivial problem with an SC3 was sorted by the dealer within 24 hours - gratis.
Old (insert British company of choice) are nice to look at, but like vintage cars often only work 2 weekends in June.
For serious collectors only really.
You can buy several Chinese lathes for the price of a good condition Myford, and you don't have to sell a kidney for the accessories. The money saved can go toward materials instead.

Thread: Setting Clearance on steam engine bearings
18/10/2017 08:42:15

In the glass trade we use lead foil and gold size to back mirrors. Old Mo (the mill and engine wright) would pinch the off cuts to shim his bearings. He wouldn't use brass or aluminium foil, only lead or copper.

Thread: Unidentified lathe
16/10/2017 08:52:16

A bar bed, Wade or Drummond spring to mind, looks too small to be a Drummond.

Thread: cutting oils
14/10/2017 09:15:12

I was recently given some pretty red Rotabroach cutting and tapping fluid. It works very well, especially when tapping ally.
Looking up the ingredients it is fish and water flea oil, so not unlike wd40.
For general cutting I use machine mart neat cutting oil, messy but it works.

Thread: What is it?
12/10/2017 08:31:11

Nutcracker?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Warco
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest