By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jonathan Garside

Here is a list of all the postings Jonathan Garside has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Archdale Horizontal Milling Machine
11/04/2020 17:57:05

Ghost

I do not have an Archdale mill I was merely advising you of the type and age from my machine tool serial number records.

If you go onto the www.vintagemachinery.org website and search for Archdale or James Archdale they have a downloadable pdf of a sales leaflet which includes horizontal milling machines.

As Andrew says above I do not think Archdales ever made a vertical head for these machines as there do not appear to be any attachment points or suitable drive mechanisms.

Just as a matter of interest I was part of the Auction team that sold the Blackpole, Worcester works of James Archdale in 1973/4. Archdales were by this time part of Staveley Industries who had bought a whole tranche of British Machine Tool manufacturers in the 1950s and 1960s but managed to close the vast majority by the 1980s.

Jonathan

11/04/2020 10:12:03

Ghost

First of all the manufacturers plate starts with HM and in the simple Archdale terminology this stands for Horizontal Milling. Consequently it is highly unlikely you could fit a vertical head without reconfiguring the machine and drive.

Secondly the serial number of 1906 would make it well pre WW2. My serial number reference book has a number of 4096 for 1940. They would appear to have manufactured approx 500 machines of this type per year so that would make your machine to be approx mid thirties..

Hope this helps a little

Jonathan

Thread: 4x6 bandsaw
18/01/2020 15:25:25

Steve

If you put 6" x 4" bandsaw you tube into google you will be inundated with videos of what you are looking for

Jonathan

Thread: Old Brown & Sharpe dividing head
09/01/2020 19:26:13

David

If you search the vintagemachinery.org website you will find lots of info on Brown (no e) & Sharpe incl reprints of their dividing head instruction manualls.

A fantastic website

Jonathan

Thread: Hello
30/10/2019 14:02:01

Howard

Marcus tells us bhe is from Todmorden in West Yorkshire in his second sentence.

Welcome Marcus

Jonathan

Thread: broken calipers
03/04/2019 15:21:27

M Machine Metals list 3/4" x 16 swg which is 1.6 mm spring steel strip at £3 per 300 mm.

Jonathan

Thread: Warco 918 Lathe Tumbler Reverse
13/02/2019 14:17:53

Thanks John, PM sent

Jonathan

12/02/2019 20:09:44

Thanks for your replies and I will investigate further the information you have kindly provided.

Jonathan

12/02/2019 11:10:16

Andy

I cannot post a link as the only info I have ia a very poor photocopy of the original article as detailed in my first post..

If you can find the original copy of ME dated 1st Jan 1993 I would be grateful for a better copy myself as I cannot read all the measurements in the poor copy I have.

Jonathan

12/02/2019 08:54:47

What nobody?

Jonathan

10/02/2019 21:57:46

I have a Warco 918 and recently saw an article from ME 1 Jan 1993 by J F E Weight about the design and manufacture of a tumbler reverse mechanism.

Has anyone on the forum made such a unit to the drawings in the article, and if so how did it go. I am looking at any problems or pitfalls, or was it straightforward to make and does it work satisfactorily.

Jonathan Garside

Thread: Stanley - Quality?
03/08/2018 20:14:19

Neil

I rarely post as my posting number will attest and I do not get involved in political discussions but before you close this post may I have a say. I used to work for a firm of industrial auctioneers nationally for over 50 years so have some knowledge, and I can assure you that the greatest number of large industrial concerns closing was in the 1960s and 1970s well before Mrs Thatcher became PM. And before you jump to any conclusions I am no Thatcher apologist. before any member on this forum posts regarding this period of British Industrial history it would be as well to do their homework and check on when major industries actually closed rather than blaming it all on one person. I was there and I saw the reduction of industry through a lack of investment and a lack of care by ALL political parties. .Just remember the folly of nationalisation of the steel and aircraft industry not to mention the creation of British Leyland. All well before Mrs Thatcher. In most cases it was a lack of investment in new technology and poor marketing. Who remembers the introduction of the latest super British Leyland motor Car the Allegro with the Quartic steering wheel need I say more.

Jonathan

Thread: D profile tube
29/10/2017 15:33:26

John

www.vintagecarparts.co.uk sell 19mm x 10mm D shaped steel tubing

Jonathan

Thread: Astle Park (Pic heavy)
13/08/2017 21:34:13

Nick

I also went today and met Diane Carney who was driving Hugh Winterbottom's Sentinel steam lorry. Nice weather and dry underfoot. Just amazed at the number of people with dogs thought I was at Crufts at one point.

Jonathan

Thread: turret lathe
24/06/2017 10:28:19

Kevin

Taylor capstan lathes were manufactured by Charles Taylor (Birmingham) Ltd of Bartholomew Street, Birmingham 5.

My serial number references indicate numbers in 1940 at 5991 through to 1964 of number 12729.

All the capstan lathes I have seen were all second operation and quite small. Cannot really assist any further.

Jonathan

Thread: Car problems
20/06/2017 09:16:36

Neil

What make and model is the car and current mileage would be helpful.

Not saying I can help but others with similar cars may be able to

Jonathan

Thread: Drilling machine base
19/06/2017 10:57:54

Mike

Have you looked at the www.vintagemachinery.org website.

Search under Atlas Press Company and if you further search publications and downloadable information there ate hundreds of publications available for free download.

I feel sure you will find something relevant for the drilling machines just leave yourself an hour or two as this is a most fascination and informative website.

Good hunting

Jonathan

Thread: Was in Penrith and this pulled up.
15/06/2017 13:16:29

Looks like AX 201 a 1907 40/50 Silver Ghost built in Manchester, now owned by Bentley Motors in Crewe. Reputably the most valuable car in the world.

Jonathan

Thread: What do you think of these lathes
06/05/2017 09:57:58

Tony

Are you looking to buy new or secondhand.

If new the Colchester. If secondhand then surely it all depends on the condition and accessories

Thread: Tauco Bandsaw
27/04/2017 15:02:59

Ian

As an aside in the vintagemachinery.org website under Tauco and Delta you will find some 500 downloadable books and brochures including one on how to operate your bandsaw published in the 1930s. I feel sure you will find what you are looking for among all these publications.

Jonathan

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
Warco
cowells
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest