By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for SillyOldDuffer

Here is a list of all the postings SillyOldDuffer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Will cash become obsolete ?
07/04/2020 18:43:52
Posted by Mick B1 on 07/04/2020 18:11:23:

... I think eliminating cash might be liked by governments because it makes (eg.) VAT evasion harder, but there'd be at least as much pressure from informal businesses to retain the simplicity of cash.

Government and banks aren't the major drivers, it's what the young folk do that changes the world. They hardly use cash at all. Not for them wasting time counting notes and fumbling with coins - contactless, bang, gone. And in business, the yoof positively dislike cash because it makes life complicated. Cash in at a bank? You must be joking granddad!

Someone complained on the forum that 'Boomers' is now a term of abuse. Kids today have gone soft; in my young day our elders were all 'Old f*rts', even though they were genuine war heroes. Time gets us all in the end. Horrified to find that hotmail accounts are now considered thoroughly old-fashioned...

smiley

Dave

Thread: Colchester Student Mk1 Won't Start
07/04/2020 17:32:15
Posted by Richard Kirkman 1 on 07/04/2020 17:17:12:

Socket arrives around 2.30 so I went straight out and fitted it. Lathe works beautifully

Well done you and Phil!

Dave

Thread: DC-DC converter
07/04/2020 15:44:24
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 07/04/2020 14:08:44:

SoD: Ok as far as it goes. thumbs up But I'd expect the problem to be due to noise direct from the DC-DC converter, not external pickup.

Andrew

Method in my madness though! I tested my caliper with a linear PSU and 40cm leads and it was all over the place. Previously, I'd powered the same caliper from an Arduino with short 5cm leads and it was fine. (Arduino's on-board linear regulator, my potential divider.)

Thinking about it though the experiment isn't convincing. I ought to repeat it with a battery rather than a mains PSU. If I repeat with battery clean volts and the caliper still misbehaves, it must be noise picked up by the wires?

Induced noise is quite likely I feel because the caliper is high impedance? (I make 6uA at 1.55v about 260kΩ but you know what my maths is like!)

I still think my conclusions about the caliper being very sensitive to low volts are valid though. I found:

My caliper fails absolutely below 1.48V and was reliable only above 1.51V. The SR44 cell produces 1.55V, and this voltage appears to be critical : a drop of 0.05V is enough to upset this caliper, at least with my noisy supply.

No harm in checking again especially as I qualified the conclusion with 'at least with my noisy supply'. Playing electronics is more interesting than tidying, which is what I'm supposed to be doing! I might have a glass of wine and do the experiment in a drunken haze.

Dave

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 07/04/2020 15:45:07

07/04/2020 14:27:18

What else is disappearing?

My wife's granny saw a Zeppelin, mine grew up with cobbles and dirt roads - no tarmac. They both knew ragamuffins. My mum remembers horse drawn carts, trams, skies full of propeller driven aircraft and Lord Haw Haw. I remember a working Steam Roller, Buttons A & B, Telegrams, Trolley-buses, Slide Rules, Typewriters, Punch-cards, DA Haircuts, Black and White TV, Factory Chimneys and LSD. Others will have more examples!

On the way out: wildlife and the Great Barrier Reef, Internal Combustion Cars, Cash, Pensions as I knew them, Jobs for life, slow Data Networks, Sodium Vapour street lamps, broadcast TV, cheap oil and a high meat diet. And any job that can be done by artificial intelligence...

Dave

Thread: Coronavirus
07/04/2020 13:51:18
Posted by Kiwi Bloke on 07/04/2020 12:15:16:
Posted by Hopper on 07/04/2020 12:00:50:
Posted by Kiwi Bloke on 07/04/2020 11:28:00:

So, if domestic (and feral) cats can be infected, as big cats seem to be, what then? Millions of moggies acting as a resevoir of infection isn't a nice prospect - until everyone is immunised.

There are no recorded incidents of feline to human transmission. Don't panic.

... If it's the same virus in humans and cats, transmission will occur. Why should species-jumps be one-way? I don't panic easily, just trying to think ahead.

Inter-species jumps are difficult - if they were easy, we'd be ill all the time. Infectious diseases are tuned more of less to their hosts by shared chemistry. Anything of a mismatch and the risks caused by bugs plummet. Chemistry obviously matters on a larger scale too: cat fleas dislike human blood, and - even though sheep love it, I can't digest grass. Between 1 and 3% of human body weight is bacteria living in us, fortunately we're friends.

Coranavirus is a common as muck family of viruses that have been around forever. They infect many different hosts including dogs, see Canine Coronavirus, but don't usually jump between species. When they do, immune systems are unprepared. In humans, one member of a large family is causing big trouble.  Covid-19 is fairly infectious and mildly dangerous. Covid-19 is a variant that happens to have chemistry matched to human cells. People spread it, not cats, dogs, or red-herrings!

Dave

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 07/04/2020 13:53:06

Thread: What is it with the fit of old slotted screws?!
07/04/2020 13:04:06
Posted by choochoo_baloo on 06/04/2020 23:41:17:

Whilst restoring a Stanley plane and similar aged tools I've noticed an annoying tendency of not quite getting a perfect fit flat head screw driver...

was there an Imperial flathead dimension system that I've missed? ...

There are standards but they don't help much. The answer is the width of the slot depends on the diameter of the screw and the thread system.

BA slots are specified in BS57-1920 as being 0.2D + 0.1mm, where D is the full diameter of the thread.

For BSF and Whitworth, slot widths are listed in a table. 8 different slot widths are listed for the 12 screw diameters between 1/8" and 1".

For extra confusion, the depth of the slot is related to it's width and possibly also to the type of head. For example, BA slot depths vary depending on whether the head is Countersunk, Instrument, Round, Cheese, Filister Capstan or Connection.

Metric and other standards follow similar rules.

In theory a different sized screwdriver is needed for almost every type and size of slot-head screw; i.e. dozens of them.

In practice, if the correct sized screwdriver isn't in the toolbox, one can either be ground to fit or the job can be bodged by attacking the screw with whatever is handy. Judging by the number of old machine screws with chewed slots, most of the work in the good old days was done by lazy apprentices rather than master-craftsmen!

Dave

Thread: DC-DC converter
07/04/2020 11:46:41
Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 07/04/2020 08:32:41:

Ok, so final result. I placed a 10 uf Tantalum capacitor in the space where the battery went and it seems to read OK. Tried the capacitor on the output pads of the DC-DC converter, but that made no difference, adding a resistor made no difference either, so it seems as others have said, you need to reduce noise at the callipers, not the feed to them.

I guess what's going on is the caliper expects to run off a cell and they are as electrically pure as you can get. There's no need for the caliper's electronics to have any protection whatever against spikes, ripple or voltage variations because - in normal operation - there are no long leads to pick up mains hum or other interference, and battery DC is clean.

Adding an external power supply opens the door to a bunch of nasties, which the caliper isn't equipped to deal with. Putting a capacitor across the battery terminals will decouple the caliper, which is good. Putting it at the power supply end won't have the same benefit.

Another easy thing to try is making the power leads into a twisted pair. Twisting wires together reduces external noise by balancing it out.

Dave

Thread: Borehole pressure vessel change
07/04/2020 11:26:31

Posted by pgk pgk on 07/04/2020 10:24:13:

The tank spec shows they are pressure tested to 15Bar so I guess the walls are going to be a reasonable thickness?

pgk

I doubt the walls will be particularly thick especially if the container is steel. My wild guess about 3mm, could be wrong!

15bar is about 220psi, which isn't far off the working pressure of a model loco boiler made of relatively thin copper. Cylinders take a lot of internal pressure: a 2 litre lemonade bottle bursts at about 12bar, and the plastic is about 0.23mm thick. The pressure vessel will be proportioned to take a working pressure plus allowance for heat and pressure cycling (if any), and probably corrosion. (Does the cylinder have a specified life like rechargeable gas bottles?) Then multiplied by a hefty safety factor. For ordinary items x2.5 is common, x5 if safety is involved, and x10 or more if safety critical.

I know absolutely nothing about boreholes!

Dave

07/04/2020 10:48:41
Posted by magpie on 07/04/2020 08:30:37:

Years ago the only way you could lose money was either be mugged, or burgled. ...

Dek.

I'm reminded of the late George Best “I spent a lot of money on booze, birds, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

Seriously though, despite being convenient for small personal transactions, cash has many disadvantages.

Try buying a new car in cash - asking will be an embarrassment for all concerned. Even worse, offer to buy a house in cash. Special arrangements will have to be made to move the money securely, and expect awkward questions about laundering, proceeds of crime, and tax evasion! Many purchases are impossible in cash - for example, online sales are all electronic.

Cash is completely unsuitable for buying anything really big like railways, motorways, airlines, shipping, armed forces, power stations, and the health service etc. Trade in goods, services and commodities is enormous - in 2019 Australia exported about $50Bn worth of coal and $75Bn Iron Ore. They weren't paid in cash!

Cash suits criminals because it's hard to trace. As they are the main users, the assumption now is a bag full of €500 notes is unlikely to be legitimate.

Managing cash in volume is a major risk due to crime, fire, flood and fraud. Payroll and bank robberies with violence were once commonplace. Even disposing of worn-out paper money is dangerous - Jack Mills never recovered from his injuries. Looking after cash costs a lot of money - safes, guards, armoured vans, bank vaults, alarm systems, cameras, spot checks etc.

So cash has been replaced gradually since about 1700 with 'instruments'. Once mainly high-finance, they're now common in ordinary life. Most of them today are electronic. Like cash, they are just promises to pay. Electronic money is a form of paper money - neither are actually valuable like Gold.

Electronic systems are safer than cash because they can be backed-up, traced, and are accountable. Cash kept under the bed is gone forever if its owner falls for a con-man. If the bank fall for a con-man, your money is safe. Electronic money transfers are much faster and far cheaper too.

Unfortunately, nothing is perfect. Banks are run by fallible humans. Greed often leads people to make foolish decisions and tempts them into crime. A common mistake is assuming a financial bubble like sub-prime mortgages must grow forever just because it paid a big bonus last year. Pop! A disadvantage of modern money methods is the system is much bigger and faster than before. When it crashes, it's likely to be on a large scale.

Dave

Thread: Myford Mk1 Super 7 restoration
06/04/2020 17:21:00
Posted by V8Eng on 05/04/2020 19:01:36:
Posted by Mark Rand on 05/04/2020 17:42:50:
Posted by V8Eng on 05/04/2020 13:47:35:

Please Please promise that you won’t connect that lathe up to power again before you’ve had those electrics professionally checked out!

Why do you think that? Yes it's old. Yes there isn't secondary isolation over the wiring. Yes it certainly doesn't comply with the 18th edition of the Regs, but there is no intrinsic danger visible...

Get an unknown electrical system checked out! Nothing to do with elf n safety or an edition of the Regs, just sensible precautions and hopefully common sense!

I agree with V8 and it's all easily fixed. In addition to the dodgy fuses and exposed wires, the earth is a tiny rusty bolt and the cables look like rubber. Never trust old rubber...

Dave

Thread: Which Lathe???
06/04/2020 16:47:01

Posted by Paul Smith 37 on 06/04/2020 14:43:51:

One thing ididnt like about the warco was the three nuts to hold the chuck on, screw on chucks are far easier.

Yeah, but no, but maybe! Broken teeth are a common problem on Myfords. It's because screw-on chucks tend to jamb over time and unwise attempts to get them off is likely to break something. Another major disadvantage is they come undone when the lathe is run in reverse. Though screw-on chucks give good service, I feel a fixing method with two faults can't be ideal.

Bolt on chucks cure both shortcomings. And being able to run a lathe safely in reverse is useful. There's no risk, for example, of crashing into the chuck when screw-thread cutting in reverse away from the headstock. I do all mine that way at high-speed.

Screw-on and bolt-on chucks are both inexpensive compromises rather than the best available. Camlock chucks can be reversed, don't jamb, and are super-quick to change. Shame about the price!

A good reason to be wary of bolt-ons is lack of room behind the chuck. People with big fingers hate them!

Dave

06/04/2020 14:15:29
Posted by Paul Smith 37 on 06/04/2020 12:52:03:

But shoddily built to a price lathes that look great and dont produce decent work are no good to anybody except the seller, this is what we all try and avoid.

But can you name a no-good lathe being sold in the UK by a reputable supplier? (Internet purchasing from abroad is different.)

The Chinese lathes don't meet Paul's criteria. Although they're built to a price and assembled in a hurry, they don't win any beauty contests, and they can produce decent work. No one claims they are a good choice for a tool-room.

Well made lathes hold their settings better, have a smoother feel, and generally save time. They make life easier for the owner. But their motors aren't magically more powerful (though may be continuously rated for sweat-shops.) The dials might be more accurate, but dials aren't essential to accurate work. Low backlash is good, but backlash can be worked around. Thread precision depends on gear ratios, not how polished the change gears are. Being more rigid might allow heavier cuts, but again not essential to accuracy. And lathes all work in the same way: cutting is relative to a spinning axis, which means lathes as basic as a watchmakers turns can still produce accurate work.

In a blind test I think it would be impossible to tell the difference between sample rods turned on a random mix of Super 7s, Chinese, and other machines. Easier to detect the difference between experienced and inexperienced operators.

Knowing how long it took to make each item would be a better guide to the quality of the machine that made it: I'd expect the better lathes to be easier to drive and therefore more productive. But even that's dubious, - a fast Chinese machine with carbide inserts might well leave an Super 7 an HSS in the dust.

It comes back to what individuals want their machines for. Horses for courses...

Dave

PS Though not essential, I bought an extra-comfy chair for armchair engineering.

06/04/2020 11:21:23
Posted by Paul Smith 37 on 05/04/2020 22:31:35:

Im looking into the Boxford box lathes, they maybe very efficient in what they do, which is of course the primary goal, but lack the charisma of a myford super 7 style lathe. Or Is it me just being a tart?

Since you ask, yes, that's how tarts think!

What do you want a lathe for? If it's for cutting metal, almost any machine will do. For rough work, badly worn classic machines and rough Chinese can both perform. In skilled hands it's remarkable what can be done.

In 1947, Myford released a hobby lathe that made all the others look dated or inadequate. It included many modern features - like guarded gears - and was well made. It struck an excellent balance between quality, size, functionality and price. Price was vital, because, although an expensive stretch for most, Myford lathes were just affordable.

Most other good lathes were aimed at the professional market. The cheapest Boxford was about half as expensive again as Myford's dearest machine. Other makes were seriously big money. Mostly bigger and heavier than the Super 7 with complicated 3-phase power requirements. They were bought by schools, colleges, universities, garages, workshops, and factories for whom Myford lathes were too small and on the delicate side.

Time marches on!

From 1980-ish onwards CNC made most manual machines obsolete. Many were and are sold in excellent condition, often much cheaper than a Myford. Myford have a deservedly good reputation but part of it is suspect. Model Engineers had spent 40 years telling themselves that Myford made the best lathe in the world, which was only true while the alternatives were unaffordable.

As VFD's have solved the 3-phase problem and second-hand professional lathes are being dumped by industry and education, its realistic for hobbyists to go up-market from Myford.

At the same time, Far Eastern makers started producing lathes of more modern design. Easier and cheaper to manufacture than a Super 7, and - for the hobby market, made down to a price. They're a bit rough, but despite numerous minor warts, my WM280 is 'better' than a Super 7 because it's bigger, and cheaper, and does all that I want of it. (26mm spindle bore) True it has no charisma, but I bought it to cut metal, and don't mind fettling it myself! Not clear exactly were the Chinese designs came from; the general approach reflects European and USA thinking developed during the 1950s, which recognises the foolishness of paying for unnecessary quality.

When Chinese lathes are discussed on the forum, we mean the hobby machines. As far as I know, no-one on the forum has ever bought an expensive Chinese lathe. If you have £10,000 plus to spend they do some nice machines...

30 years ago, telling beginners to buy Myford was good advice. Dubious today because the machines are 30 years older and there are far more alternatives.

In the end, it's what you want. I don't care my lathe is warty, others are thoroughly irritated by minor issues. I wanted to buy a lathe to fit the space available, have it delivered, and be able to return it if it was a dud. At the time I wasn't confident I could check out a second-hand lathe, and I couldn't travel far to look at candidates. But that's just me, you might enjoy the hunt, and value pride of ownership.

Do you like a sparkly clean tidy workshop? Mine's a disgrace. Your goals, interests and psychology matter.

Dave

Thread: Todays news -- well done
06/04/2020 10:17:11
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 06/04/2020 00:17:03:

The people who are wilfully and openly flouting what have become laws, have only themselves to blame...

There is though an aspect to it all that the authorities have not considered.

Most of us here are in model-engineering clubs of which many have costly, large-scale physical assets; ...

How does anyone entrusted with any of this property, look after it in these restricted times?

It's hard to see logically why someone local can't pop in with one other (a spouse?) or alone but overseen by a safety contact by telephone, now and again to test smoke alarms, ensure no leaks or vermin, pick up letters, collect wind-blown litter, air the building for a couple of hours.

Yet officially this appears to be an illegal ' non-essential ' act, ...

The purpose of the lock-down is to minimise contact between people. Those who isolate can't catch it or pass it on to someone else. Therefore the less movement the better.

I see three categories of thinking causing people to break the lock-down:

1. Gormless, contrarian, or ignorant behaviours, like the baseball example. Stupid boy bravado.
  2. The 'Doesn't apply to me' mistake. Prime Minister hospitalised this morning because - somehow - government failed to apply their own social distancing rules in parliament. Possibly Catherine Calderwood fell into the same trap, somehow believing it was OK for her to ignore essential travel rules. Why did a responsible, intelligent, medical professional behave like a silly girl?
  3. Rationalising that a personal interest, like looking after a club or a birthday party, is somehow important enough to be an exception. Though sympathetic to Nigel's concerns I'd rather burn down a dozen clubs rather than risk spreading a fatal virus.

It's very difficult problem to manage. The government are trying to balance the painful measures needed to control a major health crisis against cost and the need to maintain normality. People are dying of the disease while others lose their livelihoods. Hospital, care home and other workers are courageously putting themselves on the line day after day after day. I'm not aware that any club has suffered due to reduced care-taking; surely in comparison to everything else, looking after a club isn't a priority?

Dave

Thread: Workflow
05/04/2020 17:14:02

Good result Keith, and exactly how I would have done it.

If you'd hit bother, I'd have said nasty things about turning rebar. Apart from the need to hack back to a smooth surface, the specification of the steel is unknown. Whatever grade of steel is in your particular example, it's structural, not meant to be machined. Using it is a bet, not a safe engineering choice.

The gamble paid off, but poor choice of metal can cause awful grief! I advise against beginners turning scrap because they can't tell if bad results are due to them, the lathe, tool-settings, or duff material. Easier to work with scrap after building experience with friendlier metals intended to be machined.

I had a bad experience early on - unknown to me all the scrap in my junk box was Awkwardcussium. For a while I thought my lathe was incapable of cutting metal. So much more straightforward when I defeated my mean streak and bought suitable Aluminium, Mild Steel and Brass from my local emporium.

Dave

Dave

Thread: Which Lathe???
05/04/2020 16:35:49
Posted by Paul Smith 37 on 05/04/2020 12:10:02:

Well this has probably been done to death, but ill ask the latest opinion.

Ive bought a Myford ML10 Metric a while ago ... find myself hankering for a bigger unit.

So my next route up is an ML7 with a big bore kit.

I hear Warco and Chester gets good reviews, but also some terrible ones too. I prefer to stay English i think.

The other limiting factor is the space i dont have, the ML7 will fit, but ...

Tricky one, but despite objections to Chinese, one of them may be the answer. Going 'English' reduces the available choice particularly if a good condition big bore must fit into a small space. It may take a while to find a suitable classic machine, especially if metric is also important. (Buying second-hand, condition is more important than make and model.)

Myford suffer from the name attracting premium prices. If money is no object Triona list a Connoisseur at the moment. It's said to be in unused condition. Price on Application; no harm in asking, but make sure your pacemaker has a fresh battery!

Health emergency apart an important advantage of new Chinese machines is they're available off-the-shelf in a wide range of different sizes. The machine that fits best into the available space can be picked out of a catalogue.

Dave

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 05/04/2020 16:37:18

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2020
05/04/2020 13:53:04
Posted by Mark Rand on 31/03/2020 00:40:46:

Having melted many, many disassembled hard disks, plus a couple of decent sized castings last week, I've now got 75kg of aluminium ingots in three different alloys.

Are you sure the cases were all Aluminium? Some hard drive cases are Magnesium, as are many laptop bodies.

Magnesium and Aluminium look similar and melt at about the same temperature (650C vs 660C). The easiest way to tell them apart is to measure their density; Magnesium at 2.7g per cc is heavier than Aluminium at 1.7g per cc.

Whilst Aluminium is safe to machine, Magnesium swarf is rather too easy to ignite. It burns with an intense bright white flame and the fire explodes when water is poured on it. Great fun! Magnesium is used because it casts and machines better than Aluminium and is stronger, but it has to be handled with care.

Magnesium and Aluminium alloy together usefully. Commercial alloys go up to 15% Magnesium, which casts well and is strong. Alloys with less Magnesium machine better but aren't quite so good for casting. On the down side swarf from Magnesium/Aluminium alloys catches fire much more easily than ordinary Aluminium alloy swarf. It's not as bad as pure Magnesium, but still risky.

Once started metal fires are more dangerous than ordinary fires, chances are an ordinary workshop extinguisher will make them worse.

Magnesium is top metal for machinability - it's easy to cut, dimensionally stable, and gives excellent finish with no bother. Better than all other metals. Not used as much as it might be because the fire hazard always has to be managed, both whilst cutting and then handling and storing the swarf.

This Youtube Video shows what to expect. I'd cheerfully work with it, but would take care to clear swarf often and have the right sort of fire extinguisher ready to go.

Dave

Thread: Making Progress with TurboCAD
05/04/2020 11:42:30

Posted by IanT on 05/04/2020 10:48:43:.

I'm not sure I really need 3D engineering drawings but if so I will have a look at FreeCAD - as it's SCAD friendly, Open Source and not Cloud based. I much prefer local apps and control of my data.

IanT.

Me too, which is why I use QCAD for 2D, and FreeCAD for anything 3D that doesn't require assembly. (I go Fusion 360 for anything that needs Joints. I like Fusion, but not the cloud model.)

I noticed tuning into how CAD software works isn't easy, especially in the early stages when one's mind is liable to be filled with preconceptions and assumptions about how CAD ought to work rather than how it actually does. Also, it's hard for beginners to see the wood for the trees because CAD packages are packed full of non-obvious features such as different workbenches, special tools, and expert facilities. Intimidating, and easy to get hopelessly lost especially if you like to learn by clicking buttons randomly to see what happens!

As CAD is beginner unfriendly I wrote a Getting Started with FreeCAD thread last year. I attempt to explain the difference between 2D and 3D thinking, which is often a major learning obstacle, and then try to get a model engineering beginner going as quickly as possible with the appropriate part of FreeCAD. Simple step-by-step examples moving up to more complex objects.

There was also a magazine series and thread covering Alibre, which some might prefer, because FreeCAD is a bit experimental, guv. Alibre, FreeCAD, and Fusion360 have many similarities. AutoCAD and TurboCAD take a somewhat different approach. Which best suits an individual might depend on previous experience and mind-set; despite knowing my objections aren't logical, I don't get on with AutoCAD.

Dave

Thread: Gear Cutting - Pressure angle.
05/04/2020 10:51:59

Neil's not alone, here's my crude version for making Meccano compatible gears,

dsc03599.jpg

The rack cutter cuts an involute because the cutting teeth either side of centre shave off material from adjacent flanks whilst metal is being crudely removed by the centre cut. The amount and placement of adjacent shaving depends on the angle of the gear blank, which changes as the blank is rotated. The shaving effect progressively improves tooth shape towards a perfect involute. It's not like a form tool or gear-cutter where the tooth shape depends directly on the tool and can be cut in one go.

Dave

Thread: BBC Micro Boxford TCL125
05/04/2020 10:36:26

The subject has come up before. There are a few mentions on this forum, and there used to be several websites where chaps described how they did it. I found this one on mycncuk fairly easily and also Johnsmachines, but not much else. I've an idea there was a Yahoo group, goodness knows where that's gone.

Anyway, it's not a simple rewiring job. While the lathe and motors are good, the electronics and original computer controller (a BBC Micro) aren't Mach compatible. (The BBC Micro is long obsolete.)

So the approach seems to be to replace the electronics with modern Mach compatible motor drivers and to dump the BBC Micro in favour of a PC. A tricky project to tackle on your own without electronics and computer experience.

Although Neil's suggestion of an Arduino converter has legs, it would have to be programmed by someone who understood Boxford and Mach control languages, and the difference between the BBC and PC parallel ports. Looks like a rich mix of easy and difficult, I think easier to replace the old electronics, which is what John' did. It cost him $AUD 800, about £200 today.

Best hope for an easy answer is to find someone who's done it already and copy them! They do exist, try asking on on the forums.

Dave

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Warco
emcomachinetools
cowells
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest