By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for AJW

Here is a list of all the postings AJW has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: My New Project... Setting up my new Myford Super7 Mk1
31/07/2019 14:51:13

Looks a nice example!

Alan

Thread: Annealing stainless steel
30/06/2019 21:22:44

Thanks for your replies.

I have attempted to drill (slowly) and it would appear to work harden very quickly.

The existing holes present would appear to have been punched, shall have another attempt with a shorter drill this time as I broke the first!.

If it isn't austenitic s/s and I heated it to those high temperatures followed by a quench could that turn it harder/more brittle?

Alan

30/06/2019 17:41:02

I need to drill some 1mm holes in a stainless steel watch bracelet clasp, exact grade unknown but of Russian origin.

Didn't get very far with the first hole and wondered if it can be annealed? and thought I'd ask before turning it all black! (although it could be cleaned up)

Alan

Thread: Odd sized strong bar
19/06/2019 21:54:47

I've got one exactly the same!

It wouldn't fit anything, but it does now as I have made it fit! Just take a suitable amount off two faces.

Alan

Thread: Silver soldering cast iron?
19/06/2019 09:38:48

Thanks Hacksaw! The cast one I have is quite a nicely made lump and should suit my purpose well.

Alan

18/06/2019 20:56:20

Thanks, I though it could be a problem as there appears to be so much carbon? I think in view of this pieces shape, quite a large 'cup' shaped casting I might be better off making a mechanical fixing to the alternator.

Alan

18/06/2019 11:29:30

I am modifying a Suffolk centrifugal clutch assembly to drive an alternator which would ideally involve silver soldering my assembly to the cast iron clutch outer.

Never tried silver soldering of cast iron - is it likely?

Alan

Thread: Woody but not quite a Forest
09/06/2019 18:48:18

Poetry in motion! Cracking looking engine, and my favourite, a nice slow Rickover.

Great job.

Alan

Thread: Need to drill a hole digital caliper
07/06/2019 13:18:10

I've encountered similar material although not a caliper and managed to drill through with a masonry drill.

Alan

Thread: Ebay 'photos'
06/06/2019 17:58:55

Quite agree, not just lathes - most items, even most smartphones to a pretty good job these days.

Alan

Thread: Myford ML7 - Size of Mandrel Through Drilling?
11/05/2019 16:02:28

I've got 0.594 on a ML7 s/n K16170 and seems pretty parallel.

Alan

Edited By AJW on 11/05/2019 16:03:14

Thread: 4014
04/05/2019 18:29:36

What a gorgeous beast!

Alan

Edited By AJW on 04/05/2019 18:29:51

Thread: Tracy Tools
03/05/2019 11:20:21

I've always been a satisfied customer.

Alan

Thread: 1959 Nsu quickly
30/04/2019 19:52:31

I think if you have an image it could probably be printed onto vinyl wrapping type material - self adhesive, very durable, worth contacting some vinyl/sign companies.

Alan

Thread: Painting 5" gauge wheels.
16/04/2019 12:07:39

Not a loco wheel but a flywheel, although similar!

Painted my Centaur flywheel (about 7 in dia) with a spray can of satin black, I think it looks great. Casting surface prepared by filing and Emery cloth with any imperfections filled with JB Weld all sanded back then 2 or 3 coats (by brush) of Bonda Primer which has good solids content.

Rubbed down carefully with 400 wet & dry (wet) masked up the 3 coats spray black.

Alan

Thread: Notre Dame
15/04/2019 23:12:52

We were there only a couple of years ago, wonderful building, such a shame.

Alan

Thread: Using a propane cylinder for partable compressed air.
04/04/2019 21:41:32

My first compressor was home made using an ex gas cylinder.

Cut a 4 inch hole in the end and welded on a heavy ring to take a bolted on flange for all the fittings.

Welded a frame on top to take large motor and pump and a frame underneath for wheels.

Hydraulic tested it to 300psi and used it for years - did me proud!

Alan

Thread: Have your fathers habits rubbed off on you. Just for fun
29/03/2019 17:16:11

Reminded me of my Dad over riding the strimmer safety switch (didn't work) replacing it with a round, brown domestic light switch!

Favourite saying when tidying something up was 'take the dairy off it' , use it myself and people wonder what I'm talking about!

(Not sure where it came from)

Alan

Thread: Home made disc sander
28/03/2019 19:07:36

It's got that headstock look about it, wood turning origin?

Looks useful!

Alan

Thread: Any Recent Progress in Induction Heating ?
27/03/2019 10:17:01

I recently saw on the tube induction heating of tyres for locomotive wheels where a loose coil was wrapped round the tyre which was fed with hundreds of amps, the tyre went blue and fitted nicely!

Alan

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
ChesterUK
Meridienne Sept 2019
Advertise With Us
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest