By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dave Halford

Here is a list of all the postings Dave Halford has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What RCD NVR for a workshop?
03/07/2021 11:38:43
Posted by Nicholas Farr on 03/07/2021 11:19:04:

Hi Bob, re, unwinding extension leads. I said to a workmate many years ago about a 110v extension lead he was using, still mostly wound up, that he shouldn't be using it like that, he said he was only using a vacuum cleaner and a lead light and it has been OK, but no sooner he got his words out, the extension lead was billowing out smoke. It was just as well I happened along as he was in a machine he couldn't get out of in too much of a hurry, so I unplugged it for him, needless to say the extension lead was totally shot, he didn't use one like that again.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 03/07/2021 11:22:52

Lent my daughter my Roverpoint (remember them) she didn't unwind it and the cable all melted together into a solid mass.

Thread: Surface finish when turning.
03/07/2021 11:34:28

Your tool is only held by two of the four clamp screws on the holder, that would cause trouble on my lathe.

Thread: Milling arbor sans keyway?
03/07/2021 11:27:17

The Warco ad claims ISO30, which was fitted on some late Centec 2B machines. Power output is similar as well.

The Centec does not require a keyway, the friction from the arbor nut is sufficient to prevent slip even on a 3/8 wide cutter.

Thread: Help to identify Lathe
02/07/2021 21:05:37

You can get a simple non latch RCD that fulfills the NVR duty for small motors and still keep the handy on/off switch

Thread: Roof insulation
02/07/2021 19:14:00

Not convinced that weeping cables was fixed back then. It was still a concern at least 15 years ago in hot locations with new good quality cables..

Thread: Broken tap removal
02/07/2021 16:46:05

I just broke off an old 7BA carbon steel tap in a piece of 3mm steel, jammed solid.

Marked the centre of the underside with a big X, placed my cheapy plasma cutter gun on the X and blew it out with a 1 second burst. Even better the hole was still tap-able.

Of course I was lucky it was a through hole rather than a blind one.

Thread: Roof insulation
02/07/2021 16:05:09
Posted by Emgee on 02/07/2021 15:29:06:

Anthony

Due consider that the cable will need to have a current de-rating factor applied because it is in contact with the insulating material, further de-rating needs to be applied if it is surrounded by insulation.
Not usually a problem in a small workshop especially in your case where 1.5mm cable has been used for the lighting circuit, but in an installation where cables are running close to maximum rating it could render them non compliant for the circuit.

Emgee

In other words the cable will overheat, PVC is good for 50 to 60C after that it starts to weep fluid. If your lighting cables are touching the roof in summer the insulation could tip them over the edge.

Edited By Dave Halford on 02/07/2021 16:07:19

Thread: Stuart SIRIUS on ebay
29/06/2021 17:52:18

I always worry when you see pipes broken off like that, like it may have been removed in a hurry.

Thread: Fusible plug in a 5" gauge copper boiler?
29/06/2021 15:17:13

Lets face it a train is unlikely to encounter a hill sufficent to uncover the crown for long enough to do damage or wake up the plug.

Road steam is another matter and over 3" models might be long enough to expose the crown on a hill, no doubt priming like crazy at the same time making the issue even worse.

All that said on a train it's fit and forget.

Thread: MYFord Super 7 quick change gearbox questions - bushings
28/06/2021 20:01:53

I hope the outer bushing isn't loose.

Thread: Easy Start
28/06/2021 19:57:51

Easy Start is mostly Ether, the engine doesn't think it's Cocaine. The only place I have seen it used a lot was hydroplane racing with Methanol. But then Methanol is just as good a degreaser as Ether.

Assuming you have good fuel and spark for petrol or good diesel that only leaves bad valve seats, tight tappets or worst busted rings. In other words the compression may be too low.

Thread: Chester 626 X axis backlash
28/06/2021 19:48:01

You could try a layer of PVC tape to take up the slack, then see if anything binds before you resort to glue.

Thread: MYFord Super 7 quick change gearbox questions - bushings
28/06/2021 10:13:27

Not familiar with this gearbox, but Oilite bushes normally fit firmly on the outside and run smoothly to shaft size on the inside.

Thread: Re-making a centre hole in a small crackshaft
27/06/2021 14:40:54

If that big disc comes off I would consider mounting the crank end in the 4 jaw or faceplate and spend 1/2 a day getting the OK section to run true in the fixed steady.

I'm pretty sure John Stevenson would have welded up the threads and the off centre hole for you and 'machine while wet'.

I would take very light cuts as the crank pin might move.

Thread: Fowler Build
27/06/2021 11:41:26
Posted by MrTea42 on 26/06/2021 12:54:16:

Dear All,

However I have no experience whatsoever in assembling/building a traction engine so I know I will have many questions regarding the technicalities of actually putting it together and would like some help/advice/pointers if at all possible.

Second..

I am starting on the smoke box and front end as well as the tender. Does the smokebox to chimney need sealing to prevent leaks? If so what would you suggest?

Thanks in Advance for any help.

MrT42

The smoke box has to be a good fit to the boiler so if a spacer ring is used between the boiler tube and smokebox then that can be adjusted to marry the two major parts. You can't size the tender width till you have the boiler.

What you can make without a boiler is,

All the shafts and both axles (just leave them a little long at each end)

Fly wheel

Road wheels

hornplates and bearings

gears

Basically anything that does not require a specific width.

Thread: Lead Screw cover/infringements Chinese Lathe
27/06/2021 11:11:15

Use a righthand boring bar to both skim and edge the faceplate.

Edited By Dave Halford on 27/06/2021 11:16:23

Thread: Minnie Roller
26/06/2021 18:03:44

Never seen one done before link

Thread: Cheap Boxford anyone?
26/06/2021 18:01:42

Not been oiled for a long time, but for £100 it's a bargain.

Thread: Another dirty Brian trick - reversing the chuck
26/06/2021 16:35:32
Posted by ALAN MOORE 5 on 26/06/2021 00:25:01:

I recently installed a circular saw with 3HP Capacitor start motor, 2.2 Kw, 10A. Finish installation, start motor, instantaneous trip of 16A breaker. Tried starting with extension lead from a different circuit, ran nicely.

Electrician said 'long lead, high resistance makes a difference'.. .. Anyway, I advised changing the breaker to 32A; cant have long trailing leads in a workshop!

That might depend on the breaker type fitted, a slower C type might survive the current inrush.

Thread: Fun on the water...
26/06/2021 16:22:36
Posted by Bob Mc on 24/06/2021 08:34:07:

Thanks Neil/Jeff....

The motors in my boat are brushed and although it is powerful enough it would be interesting to know how much more efficient the brushless motors are, including the electronics to provide the voltages....or how much extra run time do they provide?

Also....I am a complete beginner with boats and I opted for plastic propellors, is there any advantage in having brass props?

..Bob

Plastic props are flexible, there is an advantage in having a properly designed prop . Brass no, but bronze, ali or stainless oh yes.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
walker midge
JD Metals
Dreweatts
cowells
rapid Direct
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest