By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dave Halford

Here is a list of all the postings Dave Halford has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: MIG gas/gasless welders - recommendations?
06/09/2021 18:13:45

Tolerant neighbours there Nick.

You can get rent free bottles probably near you similar to here, note that disposables will cost you £150 or a full10lb bottle for £64 and refills £18 instead of another £150. I use straight co2 weld pool, you get more penetration. This place gave me a refill after 10 years gap. I've used 3 bottles over 30 years.

Cheap welders do not have a very low, low setting so car work is difficult. Welding outside can be fixed by a sheet of cardboard. The top power claims are like most compressors or the Parkside Plasma cutter, ambitious to say the least.

Spend some time reading on here they have decent tutorials.

Thread: Hello Chuck
06/09/2021 11:29:54

Saw brown dust probably gets in there and gums them up

Thread: They see you coming
06/09/2021 11:04:54
Posted by mechman48 on 05/09/2021 13:37:56:

I asked them to replace two front tyres also as their tread depth was down compared to the rear tyres (inc' the one with the nail in) not beyond the legal limit though, so had decided to make them all equal before winter. As re. the nail, they didn't remove it as they claimed it was too near the sidewall to be a safe repair..?. I ended up taking it to Kwik fit ( usual disclaimer ) who told me the same reason, so ended up paying out for a new tyre albeit the original had virtually full tread depth left on it.

George.

There is a legal distance a plug has to be from the sidewall shoulder as the hole affects the cords.

It's fine to remove nails etc yourself if it's a screw then undo it, you may not have have a leak after all.

Edited By Dave Halford on 06/09/2021 11:06:26

Edited By Dave Halford on 06/09/2021 11:15:29

Thread: A stark reminder to leisure cyclists !
06/09/2021 10:58:26
Posted by Mark Rand on 05/09/2021 20:32:22:

Have you never seen a Bugatti Veyron trade or a Rolls Royce Phantom pickup?

cheeky

Have you ever seen a Merc Sprinter van at 95mph? Why do/did they make them so fast.

Thread: Machine Lamp Recommendation?
04/09/2021 17:28:31

I use the £9 TERTIAL ones from Ikea. They just need careful placement.

Thread: Not a master mechanic
04/09/2021 14:44:36

Jason,

Followed your link, but got distracted by the drag boats on the righthand side.devil

04/09/2021 13:41:44

But then Ed had Paul to do the donkey work, which is probably how the Lotus Elan suspension got fixed on screen while the disc brake heap of corrosion was ignored and magically fixed by the fairies for the sale.

The E type front end repair is another fudge, fitted in primer it'll rust faster than the factory finish ever would. Just don't go out in the rain!

8 weeks of build does not condense into 8hours of programming very well and I guess that applies to all TV shows.

Thread: Governor drive belt
04/09/2021 10:02:38

here maybe

Jasons link to LSM lists a 1/2" belt, the joiner might work. Might be worth a call at least.

Thread: internet cable
04/09/2021 09:39:38

Just make sure the new cable sqmm matches the old one or the cable will not punch down properly. Each successive punch down weakens the connector tension especially if the new cable is smaller than the old. This gets even worse if you can only get stranded cable or the insulation is a different thickness. Check the specs of both the cable and boxes for matching thoroughly.

Thread: Urgent - opinions of lathe I am going to view/buy
02/09/2021 17:53:59

Not for £750 with parts missing, it'll want to chase cars and keep you up at night barking.

Thread: Centec 2B - New arrival and Q&A
02/09/2021 15:28:27
Posted by William Ayerst on 02/09/2021 12:37:39:

Hello all, I wanted to post my results here but it's clear it's not welcome.

I really do thank you all for your advice, it really truly is appreciated. I am merely documenting my hobby and what I am doing on YT and I never have pretended to be anything other than a rote amateur in anything that I have done. I am not trying to give advice or instruct, simply sharing my experience with others.

Clearly, that is anathema to a certain perspective, where the only permissable content is that which is produced by experts. I truly am sorry that you see no value at all in the additional time I'm spending to create videos for the enjoyment and amusement of others. I do not feel ashamed at all in my efforts to bring what I am doing to a wider audience. If you feel like you can do it better, please step forward.

I hear a constant bemoaning that engineering is a dying hobby with an aging population - and if this is the reaction to someone who is patently not an expert, does not have an infnite budget in time or money, who is doing their best with the resources available in a medium that is contemporary to them - I can see why.

Edited By William Ayerst on 02/09/2021 13:03:36

William,

You may not be trying to, but you need a disclaimer up front stating that clearly. Why else does Mcdonalds have to put a statement on every coffee cup about the contents being hot. Litigation is so much fun for some people.

Please review your Horizontal milling video. It shows things out of sequence, cutters in use , then being fitted (wrong,) then we get the whole vertical head appear to jump forward and you saying something like 'it needs support but there isn't any' which is nonsense, just you messing it up and not showing it being put right.

Ps you are not an amateur if you get a fee.

Thread: What are the potential hazards of using E10 fuel on classic car seals
02/09/2021 10:25:43

Its all out there if you look.

Thread: Tightening a Threaded Bolt
01/09/2021 15:58:09

Given that the thread in the hub will not have corroded, what was the old bolt fit like?

l'm also assuming that the hub wasn't blast cleaned without bolts protecting the hub threads and cleaning out the threads did not involve metal dust.

New bolts can be a little loose on the clearances

Thread: Dickson tool post
01/09/2021 08:45:48

Bob,

The answer to your question is in the link posted by Micky T at around 1.25 mins that you have not watched.

Special tools required are two thumbs and 1 index finger in working order

Thread: Full size steam train goes off cliff for entertainment
29/08/2021 17:08:35
Posted by old mart on 21/08/2021 20:05:07:

Remember the General and what happened to it?

All 300 of them? - no idea

Thread: Tig welder controls not working correctly
29/08/2021 16:56:23
Posted by Roger Best on 29/08/2021 15:06:38:

crying

Sadly "little use" means nothing if the electronics have wet capacitors, they have a 10 year life even on the shelf. And that is before you start to look at corroded solder joints.

Don't tell my jukebox, ignorance is bliss.smiley

Thread: Is there any benefit to copper plating before nickel plating?
29/08/2021 16:53:29
Posted by Robert Atkinson 2 on 29/08/2021 16:24:08:

Yes,
A layer of copper improves corrosion resistance.

Robert G8RPI.

Having had a car bumper plated without a copper layer (not my choice) I can confirm Robert is spot on.

Thread: Dickson tool post
29/08/2021 14:46:02

Bob,

I have the same problem with an A&R Precision Dickinson clone. The tongues seem to bend if you crash a parting tool.

Thread: Tig welder controls not working correctly
29/08/2021 14:31:34

Hi Windy,

Try on here

Thread: Strange stain in caravan
20/08/2021 17:06:45

Tea has tannin in it. Iron and tannin = blue black like steel nails or screws in oak.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
walker midge
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
JD Metals
Warco
emcomachinetools
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest