By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dave Halford

Here is a list of all the postings Dave Halford has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: This trolley/cart could be useful
20/05/2022 14:03:07
Posted by bernard towers on 20/05/2022 13:50:00:

I suspect that if you put 100kg on it you would have a hard job to move it over a rough surface and as for having deeply treaded tyres ,what makes the difference none of the wheels are drivers. Instead of a rubbish sales pitch it would have been better to attend English lessons.

That would also be the point that you discover that the collapsible handles do exactly that when faced by an incline or a stone.

Thread: Sandblaster
19/05/2022 10:32:43
Posted by Stephen Follows on 18/05/2022 23:18:35:

Does anyone know if I could get away with running a sand blasting cabinet on a 9 cfm 50 litre compressor?

This is in fact a 5cfm Free Air Delivery (FAD) compressor. The 9cfm is is a calculated figure based on the piston swept volume assuming no losses of any kind.

Peaks cabinet link requires a constant 9cfm as a minimum.

Hand held guns that look a bit like spray guns will work on that size of compressor if the pickup tube is restricted, otherwise they choke up.

The 10 gallon £100 blast pots have improved and will work a lot better on an under size comp. if you buy the smallest 2mm nozzle.

Sand, as in kiln dried block paving sand is useless anyway, being not sharp enough, nor heavy enough to work. It's cheapness does nothing to improve it.

Heavy media like Aluminium Oxide is as said heavy, sharp and breaks down into smaller particles that are still sharp. You get a better effect with used grit as the smaller grit size gets into the little pits that rust makes in steel.

Thread: slipping chuck
18/05/2022 11:32:09
Posted by not done it yet on 18/05/2022 10:51:12:

A tiny differential, but if the parts are serviceable - and only if - a more permanent fitting of arbor to chuck could be achieved by shrink fitting.

I very quickly learned that cool and warm parts can cuse difficulty when removing arbors from my mills - so I am always careful to make sure the ‘fresh’ arbor is as warm as the quill, when changing tools.

But in this case it's spindle direct to chuck so that may give dismantling problems later.

18/05/2022 10:33:22
Posted by bricky on 17/05/2022 21:05:37:

The drill is a startrite Mk2 and I have owned this, drill bought from a factory,Frank for 30+ years and never had a problem until now.I don't know what the quill taper is but the chuck is original.I don't take a a ball pein hammer to it but a dead blow hammer to just tap it back up.

Frank

In which case the problem may be sloppy bearings or the chuck has begun holding a drill off centre due to wear. A short taper like a J33 can't take any horizontal wobble at all.

Thread: Grease in oil lines
18/05/2022 10:17:09
Posted by David George 1 on 18/05/2022 08:40:50:

Hi what mill is it as some mill's use grease on some parts like a Bridgport uses a white grease for varidrive bitts.

David

As do the Centec vertical heads.

That said, any oil galleries on older machines have a habit of blocking anyway. I found gunge in the internal gearbox oilways of the Centec and you can't get grease into those by mistake.

Edited By Dave Halford on 18/05/2022 10:23:40

Thread: Cheap stuff
15/05/2022 15:15:56
Posted by Chris Crew on 15/05/2022 10:39:09:

Your machine looks identical to mine except that the 'badges' are different. You even have the same vise. I am pleased I am not alone in experiencing excellent performance and longevity from this cheap 'junk' which so many seem to want condemn simply because, it seems to me, it is made in countries and by people who they simply cannot accept have advanced so far ahead of their own in technology, efficiency and industrial production.

Edited By Chris Crew on 15/05/2022 10:40:18

Though mostly they do it by not paying their workers what we would call a living wage.

Ps that drill looks like the Nearok hdy13 that I bought at around the same time as you, the spline looked like a dog had chewed it. But it did drill holes if a little noisily.

Edited By Dave Halford on 15/05/2022 15:20:56

Thread: 3 phase query - for a charity project in Africa
13/05/2022 12:04:14

Perhaps the whole point is to under rate the heaters, to give black heat rather than all red and glowing? Though 5 doesn't divide by three very well so the fan motor must be included.

Thread: Barograph 'stiction'
12/05/2022 14:46:46

The chart recorders at BT used a simple balanced pen similar in construction to a Lenco record player arm suspension. A vee shaped cutout balanced on knife edge. No pen arm sleeve bearings at all.

Thread: Milling Table Flatness - What is acceptable
12/05/2022 12:37:58
Posted by Peter Smith 30 on 11/05/2022 10:23:34:

On assembly I first wanted to check that the table ran parallel. As in when you wind the table in the X and Y axis. We can ignore the column as I will tram that later.

Issue is I find that over my full range I see 0.2mm increase over 580mm of travel. In fact for the first 250mm of travel its only increased by 0.01, then from 300 mm it increases exponentially. See first picture.

The Y axis has 0.03mm increase over 200mm (I think this is acceptable?)

If I lean on the table at one end fully extended I get about 0.04mm movement.

So questions;

1. Is the X axis acceptable for a home hobby work
  2. Is Y axis ok
  3. Is there any adjustment that can be made?

I did stumble across an article in MEW 68 October 2000 page 30 "The Vertical Mill as a surface grinder" by David Machin where he has a table that shows .003" (0.076mm) which to him was very disappointing. But table looks to be half my size.

I might have a go at reproducing what he did to flatten my mill but perhaps that might be out of my league.

Thoughts comment welcome, pictures in next post below.

It would help if you had noted the measurements at regular intervals along the table.

You already know you can make the table bend 0.04mm by leaning on it, is it the same when you lift it at the same point?

You can easily loose 75mm of cutting space off each end for the clamps so the very table ends are nor relevant.

If after setting the gibs snug you find -

1. the table is curved then you have a problem.
  2. the table is flat, but sloped in any direction then tramming the head will fix it

BTW mounting the machine on a mattress instead of a bench won't make any difference to the bed, just cutter chatter.

Thread: Code of Conduct
11/05/2022 08:49:17
Posted by Graham Titman on 11/05/2022 08:39:06:

I had better change my name then.

No need, you're banned. devil

Thread: CENTEC 2B support bracket
11/05/2022 08:46:13

Hi noel,

Yes it will.

As with the vertical heads, arms and brackets from a 2, 2A and 2B will interchange as far as the dovetails go.

The bearing it's self may not exactly line up with the spindle. I have a 2 overarm on my 2A which required making an off centre bearing to get a sliding fit for the arm.

Thread: Dry Film Lubricant
07/05/2022 11:39:48

Toolstation SP90

Thread: Tools needed to build a 3 1/2in gauge Tich
07/05/2022 10:00:15
Posted by Steven C on 06/05/2022 18:07:22:

I'm starting to reconsider which engine to build now either a Juliet or a Tich, how many people could a Juliet pull compared to a Tich? Do you think a Juliet is the overall better starters engine? Thank you for all the help

Best Regards Steven

Hi Steven,

What will you do for a running track? All the UK tracks I have seen have the 3.5" track up on pillars so your feet dangle and you can reach the controls without breaking your back.

Tich versus Juliet

Thread: Crates to transport Meddings MF4/5 ?
07/05/2022 09:35:14

You can sometimes get free pallets from your local gas boiler supplier.

Thread: Roolo Elf lathe
05/05/2022 15:32:25

Not that hard to find

The flat bed is a small precision ( meaning no lead screw for screw cutting) lathe without any micrometer dials as standard and only one speed.

If you want a similar, but larger lathe to do useful work and you pass south of B'ham I have a T&LM you can have for nothing, comes with 1/4hp motor + micrometer dials + a 4" / 100mm chuck mounting plate and a smaller one for a faceplate it will need to be treated to new chucks and belts.

Thread: Cj18a mini lathe
04/05/2022 12:42:41
Posted by Anthony Knights on 04/05/2022 11:08:45:

Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 03/05/2022 12:56:57:.

There's absolutely no difference between Chinese and British watts!

I am quite aware of that. The purpose of the "Chinese watts" quip was to highlight the different ways people specify equipment. This point has been very well stated by S.O.D. in his treatise above. We've had the same thing with amplifiers and loudspeaker (Peak versus Average versus RMS etc) and just about every other piece of electrical kit you can think of.

Not to forget the pinnacle of rubbish that is Watts PMPO.

Thread: Galvanic Corrosion
02/05/2022 00:05:04

Caustic soda was supposed to dissolve the aledged Aluminium hydroxide blocking car radiators with engines sporting the latest 1970's joke, aluminium heads with a steel block when most antifreeze was methanol based.

That didn't work either.

Oddly the sellers of greenhouses worked out the solution this problem out years ago - aluminium nuts and bolts.

Thread: Fobco Star Floor Stand / Storage Cabinet
29/04/2022 14:02:24
Posted by Thor 🇳🇴 on 28/04/2022 18:57:53:

Hi Anthony,

I'm using a tool-cabinet with drawers, similar to this, for my 120kg milling machine. I put a thick piece of kitchen top on top of it and some angle iron to support it. I also changed the wheels. It has done the job for over a decade, the drawers are handy for the milling machine tools and cutters.

Thor

I did this for a Centec 2A with a Kinchrome trolley from when Bunnings owed Homebase with just a 1/2" chipboard table top to stiffen it. The trolley doesn't care!

However I wouldn't use anything with spindly little wheels.

Thread: Cheap stuff
29/04/2022 11:51:58

Perhaps Steve should have put a warning on the front of his video, that it may offend those who feel it's an attack on how much others spend in their pursuit of 'I want it now', which also can be translated into 'I can afford it / look at my wad.'

So trolling can go two ways and actually no one has quite the same point of view as you or car boots wouldn't exist.

Thread: Imported Boxford ME10 Needs help
29/04/2022 10:34:34

I use a Boxford backplate on my Rockwell Delta 10"

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Rapid RC
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest