By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dave Halford

Here is a list of all the postings Dave Halford has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Need a lot of help from you good people
20/08/2019 19:36:31
Posted by terry callaghan on 20/08/2019 18:45:35:

. My problem now is what battery’s to use. If I go for leisure battery’s I will be adding a ton of weight. If I go for more modern battery’s it’s a mine field. But if I am to keep it,I know I need to keep it simple. So chaps the question is what battery to run a 500w motor for say 3/4 of an hour. With one maybe two adults. Thanks.

That depends if you need the weight on the wheels for traction or not

20/08/2019 18:04:20

There's what looks like old perished rubber cabling mixed with PVC, no idea what all the OTT twisted together wire is for. The engine may have been part way through a rebuild. There's a lot of reliance on airgaps for insulation.

I would take a motor off and look for the motor plate for the voltage, give the comm a shine with wet and dry and then try bench running it. There are so many Heath Robinson bodges on view and a full short across a 100A battery might be more exciting than you bargain for.

Thread: My Faircut Lathe
18/08/2019 20:59:38

This one is mine - much smaller serial number, did you know it's reversible by moving the brush carrier.

mine came with a T&LM lathelathe4.jpg

Edited By Dave Halford on 18/08/2019 21:01:22

18/08/2019 20:32:38

Motor looks familiar 1/4hp American Century Electric Co. with brushes, WW1 vintage?

Edited By Dave Halford on 18/08/2019 20:35:42

Thread: Can Anyone Help Me to Identify This Very Old Boiler Please?
17/08/2019 09:25:30

If this was built to be used as an Autoclave and the manhole is where items were placed to be sterilised why would the door be secured by a nut requiring a spanner to be used instead of a large handwheel or spider? It just doesn't look designed to be opened on a weekly basis.

It shouldn't be to hard to work out the intended pressure range with the lever dimensions and weight of each ball. You can see notches along the bar to position them, though if the total thickness is only 1" the steel is quite thin so would 2 balls ever have been intended to be used?

Edited By Dave Halford on 17/08/2019 09:44:11

Thread: Kennedy Hacksaw bearing replacement
16/08/2019 17:59:57
Posted by Clive Foster on 16/08/2019 10:20:57:

Concerning your worn slides can you not simply machine the top of the blade carrier and bottom to the upper sliding part so they can be bought closer together to take up the wear.

As the stroke is always the same the wear on the main slides will be even. However the unworn portion beyond the active area may foul the blade carrier and upper slide when they are moved closer together. As that unused part of the main slides is in the wind and purely structural in function there should be no problem in machining that part for clearance.

it's easier to file or grind clearance on the top slider and the blade carrier, for some reason the wear is not even (like car piston bore wear you need to avoid the step with 'step dodger rings' if you just fit plain new rings the step smashes them) and simply adjusting the slider makes the carrier stick if you dont.

Thread: Meter Probe
14/08/2019 19:23:16
Posted by Don Cox on 13/08/2019 09:42:35:

Later ones of these had spring loaded insulating shrouds which covered the bare metal lead ends if they weren't plugged in. These had the very annoying effect of forcing the probes off of the end of the meter leads at the crucial moment. The need to get the probe onto a soldered tag deep inside a switch was difficult enough without the thing coming away in your hand just as you were going to look at the meter.

The latest standard test leads are next to useless in those type of circumstances, so the message must be look after any of this kit you still have, there ain't going to be anymore.

Don

Still got mine and they still push the probes off smiley

Thread: Mystery Tooling
14/08/2019 14:11:57

Is there a tool post grinder to go with it?

Thread: Centec 2A riser block
13/08/2019 16:25:54

You may have to make it smiley

(short one)

Thread: Blown Fuse
13/08/2019 11:19:38

It is entirely possible for a fuse to fail due to mechanical reasons when no electrical fault is present.

I have had a spark fly past the motor pulley on my rear drive Rockwell 10" bench lathe during a stall, the tip was also chipped. Motor? Nope, that is a sealed externally cooled one. Turned out to be an errant out of view QCTH jamming the vari drive pulley and also producing the spark.

This in the OP The tool was a brand new,shiny tip for ali. sounds like a carbide tip, which 99% of the time will chip or flake if the drive stalls.

Thread: Is Buying a used live steam loco cheaper than building one?
10/08/2019 19:55:02

A new commercial built 5" running is 15K

Thread: Searching for an Off-The-Shelf, Light-Duty, Rack & Pinion
01/08/2019 20:54:52

Is this roof hinged on one side if so 2 gas struts would do it.

Thread: Is there a type of Sellotape/"sticky-backed-plastic" that forms a PERMANENT bond
30/07/2019 22:48:57

Solartex used to work well as a hinge. iron on

Thread: 3 phase - radio puzzle
30/07/2019 13:09:02

The spec should be written on the cable sheath.

My compressor has a screened power lead with a clear sheath so you can see the braided shield.

Thread: Western Steam
23/07/2019 11:04:27

Think about it.

The price of copper etc fluctuates wildly. Try asking a plumber for a quote for a new heating system for 12 months time - you wont get one

Thread: Buying a Lathe, as always the age old questions...
22/07/2019 18:03:40
Posted by Del Greco on 22/07/2019 17:27:18:
  • Use a DTI and rotate the chuck and it should run true.
  • As you mentioned above, try wiggle the cross-slide/saddle. Again, expect no movement.

Take a known round bar to do this anything more than 5 thou wobble is an issue.

The cross slide can be adjusted so test at each end of travel and in the middle, if its OK in the middle and tight at one or both ends the cross slide dovetails are worn and may need a scrape.

Any fool can paint a lathe and call it restored, normally done by dealers so look at the rest of his workshop.

The yanks like to make guns (more is better) Myfords are too small

Thread: Dangerous 2" Scale BB1 Boiler
21/07/2019 11:29:25

Makes you wonder if boiler and certificate got married sometime since 1975, I've seen boilers that bad on ebay, they can be a handy source of cheap castings or gears when the builder realises they do not have the boiler skills required.

Thread: Milling Problems
17/07/2019 19:09:59

Assuming the plate isn't too hard, and it might well be given the heat you mention. Try a file and see if it marks the casting, if it doesn't then there's the problem. Inspect the cutter tips for damage. Good cast iron can be worked with HSS or a single point carbide cutter with lowish power.

The face mill might be too big for both the power available and rigidity of the Rodney, if the plate files try a smaller end mill.

Thread: A little rant about Emojis and their kin
17/07/2019 18:52:33
Posted by Blue Heeler on 17/07/2019 01:46:23:

At least the blind will never have to see this emoji

And this one...you have to smile -

well, at least they have people with facial hair and jaundice covered.

Thread: Angle grinders - Dangerous or not
17/07/2019 18:46:04
Posted by Stuart Bridger on 17/07/2019 17:41:05:

Very dangerous in the wrong hands, especially the bigger beasts.
I was helping out on a building project at our shooting ground and was tasked with cutting concrete blocks with a large disk cutter. Not being the most physical guy, it was much too heavy for me to use safely and the torque reaction was significant. I am much happier with a chainsaw (not for block cutting obviously) for which I have been trained to use safely.

Always start 7" and 9" grinders away from the job, especially with cutting discs fitted, the kick can break the disc especially if it's already in a started slot.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Meridienne Sept 2019
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Advertise With Us
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest