By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dave Halford

Here is a list of all the postings Dave Halford has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Centec 2B - New arrival and Q&A
27/07/2021 12:29:12

If you have the stub on the end of the arbor then pull the support forward till the nut misses it, the drawbar stops end float, the bearing provides horizontal support only (clue is in the name.)

It seems there's a drawbar for the horizontal arbor, but just some threaded rod for the vertical, so I'm using that for now but will keep it gentle until I can fabricate a proper one. Pardon??? Just keep it gentle

You do not need a drawbar for a drill chuck, my mk2 VH takes a tang with no bother.

Thread: Boxford BUD Tool Post
27/07/2021 10:57:50

You might want to check the tailstock lines up with the pip on that bit of brass in the chuck as well.

I hate parts swappers who don't know nor care what they are doing.

27/07/2021 10:52:12
Posted by William Ayerst on 26/07/2021 20:46:44:

Thank you both, I wondered if I was going mad on that one!

For tightening (both the horizontal arbor and the clarkson chuck), is there an obvious way to lock the spindle(s) other than putting it into low gear and hoping?

Now I'm getting worried, do not tighten the drawbars more than finger tight + 1/8 turn on a spanner.

To secure cutters in the horizontal arbor there may be a tommy bar hole (which mine have) near the taper.

You do not need to be a gorilla to do up the Clarkson either it is not an ER collet.

Thread: To paint, or nor to paint.
27/07/2021 10:37:48

It doesn't really matter what we think does it?

But it appears someone has already painted the frame and buffer beams, probably hiding all sorts of mistakes under there - or maybe not.

Painting is really difficult, you only have to look a what Stationroad Steam has to say about some peoples painting skills. At the same time shiny new paint seems to be what the majority of buyers and the public want. You only have to look at the popularity of ex steam rollers converted into shiny new showmans engines.

Thread: Rebuilding car trailer and welding/bolting galvanized frame
27/07/2021 10:11:43

Your trailer will be plated for the weight it was as a trailer tent and no more, don't add so much weight that you can't carry anything in it.

26/07/2021 20:33:19

Some people intend the the whole riser to move forward so the dovetails with the head on are not expected to move so may have no clearance.

Keyways, you buy cutters intended for all mills including 5hp monsters so they all have keyways just in case. Neither the 2, 2A nor 2B arbors have a keyway.

Tighten the arbor nut properly ( only when the arbor support is in place) and the cutter won't slip.

No idea.

It won't be a Clarkson issue, I've got 70+ named cutters and they all fit in my Vertex Osborne clone.

Thread: Myford Gear Spacers
26/07/2021 11:34:41
Posted by Ady1 on 26/07/2021 08:57:29:

Drummond got around it by having a centre boss that's slightly proud and locking the wheels together with a pin

dscf3298.jpg

I expect that the ml10 metric conversion gears were bought in stock and spacer washers were cheaper than having bespoke gears made.

As to metric / imperial, we had a recent thread where the consensus was use decimals, not fractions and as both my DRO's and Callipers have a dinky little button to convert from one system to the other these days I am quite happy to mix both systems together on the same job.

Back in the day, the change to SI units left me wondering what was going on as no mention was made of them at school in 69.

Thread: Keeping the workshop cool
22/07/2021 21:03:41

The op's problem is his back wall 'opens' onto someone's garden and the workshop is part of a garage block, so options are limited.

Thread: Myford ML10 link belt?
22/07/2021 15:50:37

Wick oilers have a tube sticking up from out of the oil hole with one end of a worsted wool wick in it, The other end drops into the oil cup. The wick carries the oil up out of the cup and down the hole and sets the speed of delivery.

Drip oilers have no tube, the flow rate being set by both the exit hole size and the oil viscosity.

Thread: Keeping the workshop cool
22/07/2021 12:06:16
Posted by vic newey on 22/07/2021 11:02:25:

My leanto workshop has a transparent roof! I have shade netting and old camouflage netting strung across but it obviously gets rather hot. It even melted some hot melt glue sticks a few years back

Anyone remember the old series 2 Landy had a tropical roof option, basically a 2nd roof with something like a 1/2" air gap between them.

22/07/2021 10:54:15

Jon,

Fans are better at blowing than sucking, least ways my leaf blower very obviously is, so if the fan isn't in a wall or door it pulls air from the sides. Try blowing air into the workshop.

I'm assuming you already have roof insulation smiley

Edited By Dave Halford on 22/07/2021 10:55:36

Thread: E10 Petrol
21/07/2021 12:36:10
Posted by duncan webster on 21/07/2021 12:20:06:

No one remember Cleveland Discol? If Harry Ricardo reckoned it was OK that will do for me

I do, go faster stuff my father said.

Thread: English members who have moved to France.
18/07/2021 10:53:42
Posted by br on 18/07/2021 10:16:57:

PS This came about as doctor advises sea air to help her breathing problems - Cost of property close to sea made it a no go in this country - france being affordable.

Lowestoft

Thread: Can auto darkening welding helmet capsule be restored.
17/07/2021 20:23:16
Posted by Jim Smith 8 on 17/07/2021 17:06:40:

During the helmet recovery process I discovered in addition to the electronic auto shut off, my darkening control knob had a switch on the end and when off, nothing drains the battery. I now remember to turn it to the off position.

Otherwise known as grinding mode smiley

Thread: English members who have moved to France.
17/07/2021 16:38:48

Tim,

What about health care?

Thread: Can auto darkening welding helmet capsule be restored.
17/07/2021 16:10:21

The SIP basic £40 one has a grinding option which switches the battery off. The battery is a CR3032 car key fob type. If it sees welding flash it still darkens.

Thread: Lathe cover
15/07/2021 15:08:58

I've found that anything that has rust on it already will get worse, right next to a pristine lump of fresh shiney steel.

if you blast clean a rusty thing to a uniform grey it will stay good for days. If you leave tiny black spots in the metal, rust will bloom out of them over night.

Thread: Autolock stuck drawbar won't screw in
15/07/2021 13:52:09

It's held in with a #2morse taper.

The thread is likely imperial

Thread: Cheap Chinese 3jaw chuck.
15/07/2021 09:39:37
Posted by Chris Crew on 15/07/2021 07:31:49:

For the purposes of amateur use in a back-shed workshop, my guess is that there wouldn't be anything much to choose between the two products except the price. If I recall correctly, about forty years ago now when Polish and Czech products were first beginning to enter the British market, there were reviews of the chucks in the model engineering press. The conclusion at that time was that the Polish chuck was superior and you would hardly want to own a Czech product. Well despite the review, I bought a Czech 4-jaw self-centring chuck for the Myford at an exhibition for no other reason than it was about twenty quid cheaper than the Polish version and looked exactly the same.

I bought one of those 'Polish' chucks (read Bison) back then, Rotagrip sold them for £30 so your £10 Czech chuck (and probably a TOS) was a bargainsmiley

I also bought around the same time a trolley jack from Halfords that was so badly machined the cylinder pivot point came out the side of the lug, guess where that came from.

Edited By Dave Halford on 15/07/2021 09:43:51

Thread: How important are odd-sized milling cutters? (Clarkson vs ER)
13/07/2021 11:31:07

William,

Milling cutter collets are size specific imperial collets will not take metric and vice-aversa.

Removing the tang on your Myford tailstock chuck may also remove a self eject function on the tailstock.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
cowells
ChesterUK
walker midge
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest