By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dave Halford

Here is a list of all the postings Dave Halford has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: The age old question of varnishing....
19/10/2019 15:19:42

Cellulose certainly would not suit the base colour enamel paint unless you need to strip it.

I found an acrylic lacquer in spray but that came out a bit cloudy looking.

Thread: Anyone know about buying freehold to a house in the north
16/10/2019 19:05:09

I think this below says it all, no leasehold property is worth the same as an identical freehold one.

You only own a leasehold property for a fixed period of time.

You’ll have a legal agreement with the landlord (sometimes known as the ‘freeholder&rsquo called a ‘lease’. This tells you how many years you’ll own the property.

Ownership of the property returns to the landlord when the lease comes to an end.

Thread: Axminster SU1 Horizontal Mill
15/10/2019 20:35:25

Big brother without a knee ??

Thread: Help and advice on a drill bit for hardened steel
14/10/2019 14:12:39

Carbide tipped will drill it, allegedly possible with a reground masonry bit.

If this is to drill out an exhaust manifold stud or thermostat housing it is probably rusted in and the welding method is best

Thread: Built-up edge
14/10/2019 14:02:09
Posted by Gary Wooding on 13/10/2019 22:04:51:

I sometimes get the same problem even when using WD40. The weldup is sometimes quite difficult to remove even with a screwdriver bit, but it eventually does come off with no detriment to the cutting tip.

And sometimes the tip does flake anyway depending on carbide quality.

Thread: Heat insulation
14/10/2019 13:54:42
Posted by BOB BLACKSHAW on 14/10/2019 10:54:04:

I'm to start making a boiler but I need a insulation inside the copper tube.

Years ago asbestos was used, coak is a alternative but cant seem to find this.

Any other materials that can be used , would fiber glass be any good.

Thanks Bob

Assuming you need this to insulate the boiler tube whilst silver soldering either end.

Glass fibre will melt, Rockwool whilst looking the same is OK and makes a huge difference. it's best to test it with some red hot copper scrap.

You can also use bulk Vermiculite from old fashioned garden centres, it may also be available from gas fitter suppliers, my 1988 gas fire install had half a sacks worth underneath it.

Thread: Cast iron cabinet theft
10/10/2019 13:56:26
Posted by Ian Parkin on 10/10/2019 11:14:05:

Brian

perhaps i didnt make clear

if heres something you want rid of leave it on the pavement and it will be picked up in short time by scrap collectors

This has happened in sheffield for many years im sure also in most northern citys

Having said that Rainbows attempted to hide his prize and it still went

Anything left on the pavement is fly tipping and some councils are quite aggressive about it.

Anything left in your front garden is fair game to passing scrappies, that includes your new pushchair left by the front door.

I suggest half a day trawling around the local weighing in yards might find it.

Thread: Warco WM18 milling head shake ( technically spindle is precessing) when plunge milling a blind slot.
08/10/2019 18:02:25

Plunge milling is very aggressive it'll find any lash in the Z.

Is the column moving and adding to the problem?

Thread: Resistance Soldering question
06/10/2019 15:47:48

Put a small sheet of copper between the work and electrode?

Thread: Any geologists out there?
06/10/2019 10:41:28

You can see rock on the IOW coast intertidal zone with holes like that with little red sea anemones at the bottom

Thread: DIY glass fibre pulley?
06/10/2019 10:37:24

Barbell weights would be a better option, the chances of a pulley made from short chopped strand coming apart as big sharp chunks underload load and at speed isn't a chance I would personally take.

Thread: Has to be seen to be believed
05/10/2019 10:19:22

That hacked fire hole looks familiar I think it's been on before without the shiny finish.

Can't beat this one though link on sale for at least a year, the wording gets angrier as time drags oh so slowly on.

Thread: 3 jaw runout problems
02/10/2019 23:58:20
Posted by Richard Cox on 01/10/2019 20:40:20:

evening all I have been having trouble with my 3jsc with 0.30mm run out after removing jaws cleaning teeth and scroll tracked it down to one jaw being .30 out the jaw is removable and has a location stub and the jaw is tight on there so I’ve fettled a slight amount off the jaw key way to get the run out more acceptable now when I tightened the jaw due to the force it moves jaw to original position (jaw help on by two cap heads) I have tried squashing some welding wire to approx 0.3 mill to bridge the gap which has improved things has anyone else had trouble with this ? Issue is either jaw or the piece which moves in the chuck I thought the cheaper would be the jaw so took some off that not the chuck slider, hope this makes some sense

Rich

Rich, This sounds like a chuck with I assume soft jaws?

I found with my Tudor style chuck you need to have both the tee nut and the top jaw matching the position on the body. have you checked the body runs true first?

Thread: Aero Fuel
29/09/2019 13:58:58

Didn't the Brazilian produced VW Beetle come in two flavours petrol or alcohol?

Thread: Unusual GPO hammer?
29/09/2019 10:32:12
Posted by bill ellis on 28/09/2019 20:34:56:

. One tool I remember was a little device for adjusting the contacts on relays, this was invariably known as a tweaker, another tool which did the same job was a saurus (cos it looked like a tyrannosaurus head from the side). Happy days, going into the exchange and knowing which switches had failed overnight by the pile of bits on the floor and the smell of burned out relay coils.

We called the armature adjuster a knacker cracker.

28/09/2019 19:26:21

Everything had a number, that should be a hammer (use it was meant for) number 68, never seen any tool with a depot name on it but then London was always a bit special.

Long nose pliers were Pliers Wiring number 81, we just called them 81s.

Thread: Worried
27/09/2019 23:58:44
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 27/09/2019 19:14:32:

Re MPG, US Gallons are nearly 20% smaller than British Gallons, shock horror. All their cars are gas guzzlers and they don't have Royalty or irony either. Must be unbearable over there, poor things...

devil

As the owner of a jeep I get the choice of US (or Queen Anne, Yanks are so behind the times) gallon/mile or litre / 100km personally the EU version takes too long to get the result

Thread: Water in fuel
25/09/2019 14:26:14
Posted by Tim Stevens on 25/09/2019 13:05:55:

Dave Halford suggests leaving the fuel cap off. This will perhaps tend to reduce problems of condensation (as the inside and outside temperatures stay much the same).

I meant with the tank empty and it would also apply to Motorcycles laid up over winter. the tank stays dry.

Modern fuel systems use the water temp sensor mostly to work out the required fuel charge.

Thread: Startrite Drill Press(benchtop) - stuck chuck
24/09/2019 18:46:13

Startrite also make woodworking machinery smiley

Thread: Water in fuel
24/09/2019 18:40:26

Plenty of car fuel tanks used to rust through in the seventies, likewise motorcycles and lawnmowers, then it was just lead as an additive (I'm ignoring Cleveland Discol ).

Leaving the cap off stopped lawnmower tank rust in the shed.

I thought the issue with modern fuels was gumming in the fuel lines when left standing?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowbells
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Meridenne Boat 2019
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest