By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dave Halford

Here is a list of all the postings Dave Halford has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Broken drill bit in hole
10/12/2019 20:55:45

Are there not two different Alums? One being useless

Ah NDIT got there first !

Edited By Dave Halford on 10/12/2019 20:57:17

Thread: Netflix subscriptions
10/12/2019 11:07:58

If you hover the mouse over a link so the hand appears the true address pops up the bottom left of your screen

Thread: Why mostly manual cars in UK
07/12/2019 19:09:45
Posted by Vic on 07/12/2019 10:03:29:

There’s not a lot to go wrong in a manual gearbox. I’d hate to see the repair bill for a modern auto box though.

Just wait till the dual mass flywheel quits on your manual box, that'll make your eyes water smiley

Thread: Horizontal milling arbours
07/12/2019 19:02:42

Don't bother with cutters much over 3" in outside diameter, they are used on big high power machines.

I have not had wide cutters slip either, just as well given my 2A arbour doesn't have a keyway.

Thread: Meddings Pillar Drill, VFD and referb
06/12/2019 13:28:54

Too much inrush current for the MCB? Set the VFD for soft start.

Thread: Why mostly manual cars in UK
04/12/2019 18:49:12
Posted by 34046 on 04/12/2019 16:01:59:
Posted by Mick B1 on 04/12/2019 15:11:26:

Can agree with that in the main.. My Jensen Interceptor 3 uses fuel at 6 miles to the gallon around town, 15 on a run, goes like you know what of a shovel for accelaration, 70 mph in bottom gear,. No gearbox trouble to date in 15 years but if it comes it will be down the road as I know what repair cost will be, as fitted with the same torqueflite gaerbox as RR.

Bill

What!!!!! All you need to do is Google Duncan Watts Transmissions or Dave Billadeau for anything 70s Mopar. They will know where you need to go.

Thread: SIP Variable Speed Floor Drill Press
29/11/2019 20:27:34

I have a Qualters & Smith 750, slowest speed is 80rpm for a 16mm drill in steel. The table is much larger than the SIP. The column is 23/4"

300rpm is for wood or small bits

Edited By Dave Halford on 29/11/2019 20:33:20

Thread: which lathe?
28/11/2019 12:05:19

Hi Jamie,

Literally any small lathe will do what you want, even an 100 year old one.

However, why should it need new bearings? There's next to no side load with the turntable levelled properly and with a dab of oil having them run too tight will overload the motor and make noise. A good platter should run for at least 30 sec up to nearly a minute without drive before it stops.

You can make that housing out of something deader to vibration if it bolts to the platter.

Thread: View on this milling machine please
24/11/2019 19:40:16

I've always found adds placed on there are priced high.

If you bought the tooling on ebay it would cost you around £700. All the fasteners will be American thread. The size looks to be between that of a Centec 2A and 2B.

Not having a Quill is far from a deal breaker

A 3 " vice would give more daylight if required.

Thread: 1.1kw motor iffy
23/11/2019 17:40:37

Hi Windy,

There are various qualities of capacitor out there, it might be better to buy one based on the specs from somewhere like RS. Does the spec printed on the cap body match the old one?

The start Cap takes a beating, higher volts and life hours are better, that said I would expect a new cap to last longer than a month.

Thread: flypress bench
23/11/2019 11:59:30
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 23/11/2019 10:57:00:
Posted by John MC on 23/11/2019 10:41:39:

Make the stand as heavy as possible. […] Very frustrating to see the flimsy benches the presses were mounted on deflecting badly while the press was being used.

yes

Worth noting that the energy that goes into deflecting the bench is wasted ... it should be going into the workpiece.

MichaelG.

Which means are the presses being over driven as to get that much force into the bench means the press must be flexing a lot?

I always thought that you got the weights moving and then let them do the work?

Thread: new gear for Fortis lathe
22/11/2019 18:12:13

If you don't make your own you can get a suitable 2nd hand gear, chain drill a ring about 1/2" inside the teeth then chuck and bore the drilling holes away leaving you with a ring gear.

Chuck you busted gear and turn the teeth off to close ish fit to whatever you bored the ring to. You need room in the joint for Loctite so not too tight a fit. Once set drill and tap two M6 holes on the joint line for bolts if belt and braces appeals.

This keeps all the existing gear center keyways, bore size etc etc

I've done this on a back gear it's not that hard.

Thread: Lathe belt broken
19/11/2019 17:31:56

Hi bob,

There should be about 1/2" of slack if you press on the longest length with your thumb.

Sounds like the belt could be over tensioned

Thread: HSS tool sharpening
19/11/2019 14:36:21

Your current use of the grinder would imply the existing stones will need dressing and it is wise not to want to swap wheels about.

Proper tool grinding wheels can be softer to stay sharp and reduce clogging, read the specs carefully, wheel colours seem to vary depending on who made them.

Should you not be using an angle grinder for your rough trimming?

Thread: Lathe belt broken
19/11/2019 11:59:01

Bob,

Have you tried searching for vee belt rolling on google?

Your pushing the belt off under tension might be damaging that tiny belt an A section would not allow changing pulley under proper tension..

Pulleys might have been made to Chinese guide lines and may not have the correct angle for that belt, or the belt may be bottoming.

Thread: Holding screw-end end-mills/slot-drills
18/11/2019 20:57:55

I have a Vertex version of the Posilock, mine gets tightened with my index finger and released by a thump with the flat of my hand, the cutters don't move in that either. smiley

Thread: Positioning bushes for welding
17/11/2019 17:50:49
Posted by sparky mike on 17/11/2019 16:57:16:

I made the simple jig, but instead of two welded legs to the bridge, I tapped the top plate and now have two 3/8" unf long threaded bolts in. I had thought about having each end of the bushes with turned spigots, but plate holes were in before I got to thinking on a bit.

Mike.

You could weld a ring around each bush then turn that down to form a shoulder

Thread: Tungsten or Alloy Steel Taps and Dies
17/11/2019 16:29:00

A lot of cheap carbon steel taps are black.

Thread: Angel Eyes.
17/11/2019 16:25:33

They are possibly built as battery chargers? Try a car flasher bulb (it wont care about 18V) as load then measure the volts.

Thread: Mitutoyo DRO Fault
17/11/2019 16:19:59
Posted by Les Jones 1 on 17/11/2019 16:02:59:

Your description " with similar results " is not clear. If you have proved that one of the "amplifiers" does not work in either position with either scales then that "amplifier" is faulty. Conversely I assume the other "amplifier" works in either position with either scale. I don't think the fact that the display will change between metric and imperial indicates anything about the "amplifiers" Even if you had a schematic of the amplifier I don't think we could talk you through diagnosing and fixing the fault on the faulty "amplifier".

Les.

Les,

I think this from the OP

I have swapped over the plugs and find that the display that previously worked, now doesn't and the one that previously didn't work, now does.

Proves both amp cards and the display box are working

Dave.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Allendale Electronics
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest