By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dave Halford

Here is a list of all the postings Dave Halford has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Whats the tolerance??
04/07/2020 10:41:51

A lot of ME drawings are not drawn to any one scale or projection and are more a collection of 'scrap views'. Bolt holes may not have the intended thread mentioned, just the centre location.

If your engine was originally serialised in a magazine, then assembly, marking out and lining up was dealt with in the write up. Hughes tells you how to align the engine mounted on the boiler in his book on Minnie, which will work for any traction engine.

Known mistakes are not corrected, the author having 'moved on' to the next project. Omissions from the magazine write up remain omitted from any subsequent drawings. Haining omits the steering gear detail on his 16hp single ploughing engine all you get is the chain drum.

It's all guidelines Bob, just guidelines.

Thread: Warco WM280V-F Gearbox
01/07/2020 20:12:09

Hi Barry,

The issue I was thinking about is if the two shaft bores are diverging you may get enough clearance to hammer the righthand gears. I think you ought to talk to Warco and share those photos with them.

01/07/2020 10:35:51

Looking at the first photo it appears that the recess for the plate is slanted. Hopefully the shafts are parallel to the mounting surface and the two shafts are parallel to each other.

I'll leave the rest unsaid.

Apologies Barry, I assumed the worst on your gear shifting.

Edited By Dave Halford on 01/07/2020 10:40:01

Thread: TOOL BOXES
01/07/2020 09:45:14

Halfords cheap range (non ball slide) top box I use for milling cutters.

I have 2 blue aussie wheeled tool cabinets from when Bunning were busy wrecking Homebase, my Centec 2A sits on one with the tooling below, tother gets used as metal storage, drill bits etc. Loading was 45kg per drawer if I remember correctly. Homebase still does a Draper one remarkably similar but 100 quid dearer surprise

I have a Clarke ball raced top box which is much better for proper car tools.

It's best to check out the trolley wheels, some are obviously pathetic.

Thread: My new Sieg SX3.5DZP problem
30/06/2020 11:52:11

Halfords used to do that service.

Thread: Yipee the F1 is back on
29/06/2020 11:27:34
Posted by pgk pgk on 29/06/2020 06:53:39:

I used to be a fan but cost control and regs limiting innovation and necessary improved safety mean I agree it's more a procession now.

With physical traction limitations there are road legal cars that can make the 0-60 as fast (albeit less manoeuvrable). A tesla roadster with concept SpaceX package of rear and side thrusters should be capable of beating them all.

pgk

Wrong sport, that sounds like drag racing wink

Thread: TOOLS EXPLAINED BY A DO-IT-YOUR SELFER
28/06/2020 19:21:23

you've done this before haven't you. devil

Thread: Inherited Lathes and Milling Machines
28/06/2020 19:15:11

Use the advanced search on ebay and set it for sold items (the prices come up green)

Thread: Reverse Sewing Machine Motor?
28/06/2020 10:00:06
Posted by Keith Long on 10/01/2019 17:40:39:

Most likely NOT reversible from experience. The motor that I bought in the last 3 years or so has offset brushes so is optimised for single direction operation. Also to get at the connections for the brushes or the coil would have needed some serious surgery to moulded plastic parts. The motors are sold as unidirectional but you can get either clockwise or anti clockwise versions. I sourced my motor from a sewing machine and spares supplier via EBay and bought the uprated (100 watt) version rather than the normal 60/70 watt type.

Wonder if all they do is turn the brush carrier around? I have a 1/4hp brushed motor from the Great War that reverses by rotating the brush carrier.

Thread: BSA drop down centre stand
27/06/2020 20:52:15

Bet it froze up in the winter

Thread: Ring rollers
27/06/2020 12:34:08

You need to decide how much un-bent ring you can live with.

Pyramid rolls where the top middle roller drives and bends the metal by pressing it down between 2 fixed rollers leaves a flatish start section. The top roller (which needs to be removable) gives the minimum ring dia

Initial pinch where the metal is clamped between 2 rolls and drives the metal, the third roll moves past their centre to give the bend. The top pinch roller (which needs to be removable) gives the minimum ring dia. This one will roll a true round assuming you cut the length correct and grips the metal better and so slips less.

You can make rings on a sheet roller.

Thread: West Yorkshire Police
25/06/2020 17:44:24
Posted by JasonB on 25/06/2020 17:18:06:

With it being fly by wire an electrical failure would make it hard to do either. I've only driven a lambo for a short time but they are nice cars

Did put a conrod through the block of a Golf many years ago while in outside lane of M25 and like Neil freewheeled onto hard shoulder

Edited By JasonB on 25/06/2020 17:19:28

Some kind people wont let you pull over and cross their lane either.

Thread: Useful Tapping Drill feature
24/06/2020 12:23:48

No ME tapping drill sizes in my Zeus

Thread: Change to the Code of Conduct
23/06/2020 21:08:06

A quick look at the trading standards site shows john lewis recalling a bathroom cabinet because the mirror might fall out.

Did john Lewis check them all, No

Did they make them No

However they did recall them, not the maker the seller.

23/06/2020 12:07:17
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 23/06/2020 10:56:11:
Posted by JasonB on 23/06/2020 10:22:24:
Posted by Dave Halford on 23/06/2020 10:18:01:

As this site is now only allowed to post links to UK suppliers who may not export and therefore only a local site for local people our members from abroad may be wondering why they logged in. I suppose the advertisers will not miss them anyway.

Dave, please read my earlier post.

"No problem with linking to UK, European or worldwide suppliers..................."

Edited By JasonB on 23/06/2020 10:23:05

Storm in a teacup? Lot's of joining the dots to draw a rude donkey going on in this thread! For example, this is nothing to do with the European Union or the future of CE Marks*.

Neil's change of conditions says 'we reserve the right to remove links or posts linking to sellers who may be supplying goods not properly covered by UK safety or consumer legislation. This includes ‘review videos’ that generate income from such links.' My bold, may, not will. As MyTimeMedia is a responsible commercial operation working with UK regulations and this Forum is funded by advertising, it shouldn't be a surprise the owners reserve the right to remove material that in their judgement is unwelcome.

I get censored occasionally. Serves me right! There's always been a reason and I've never thought the Moderation unfair.

Dave

* If concerned about CE Marks best write direct to your MP or the Prime Minister - they probably don't read the Forum. I've not seen anything so far in government policy suggesting that the status and use of CE marks will change after leaving. It's just not on the agenda. Did anyone ever say it was?

This came out for a no deal Brexit withdrawn doc it may come back if no deal happens anyway at the end of the year.

23/06/2020 11:48:36
Posted by JasonB on 23/06/2020 10:22:24:
Posted by Dave Halford on 23/06/2020 10:18:01:

As this site is now only allowed to post links to UK suppliers who may not export and therefore only a local site for local people our members from abroad may be wondering why they logged in. I suppose the advertisers will not miss them anyway.

Dave, please read my earlier post.

"No problem with linking to UK, European or worldwide suppliers..................."

Edited By JasonB on 23/06/2020 10:23:05

Jason, I did, it said No problem with linking to UK, European or worldwide suppliers that are bona fide companies who comply with their tax, safety, etc laws This is why I said "Not sure how 'we' or the moderators are supposed to know that a supplier does not conform to UK standards"

And now I see my error with that one, I should have said "their standards without any knowledge of what they might be".

Edited By Dave Halford on 23/06/2020 11:57:56

23/06/2020 10:18:01
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 22/06/2020 19:56:58:

We have had requests from advertisers about an increasing for links being posted to products from certain online suppliers, in particular ones who don't operate under the same sort of trading rules (e.g. sources of non-CE marked products).

Also, there's been an increase in links to videos that are more than just simple hobbyist content, but are actually run as money-making concerns - not so much popular ones that get ads added top them by YouTube, but the ones that have along list of 'featured products'. These feature links usually generate income and often refer to the supplier mentioned above.

After considerable discussion we had to find a compromise that wouldn't stifle open discussion, but also wouldn't fill the site with lots of free links to these suppliers. We have to bear in mind that this website is paid for by our advertisers and without their support it could not continue.

As a result, we have added a fifth section to the 'Code of Conduct', www.model-engineer.co.uk/conduct/ :

Posting links to unregulated sellers or ‘review videos’
While we understand that forum members want to discuss all aspects of the hobby, we reserve the right to remove links or posts linking to sellers who may be supplying goods not properly covered by UK safety or consumer legislation. This includes ‘review videos’ that generate income from such links.

If you intentionally or unintentionally post a link to content of this, we will normally delete the link (we will try and avoid deleting entire posts, although this may sometimes be unavoidable if the post is little more than the link).

If we edit you post in this way it will be clear as the name of the moderator who did the edit will appear in the post.

We will try and apply as light a touch as possible.

Thanks for your understanding.

Neil

Not sure how 'we' or the moderators are supposed to know that a supplier does not conform to UK standards, have you been supplied with a black list?

We have already been prevented from posting about one unearthed equipment sale from a UK supplier

Thread: Buying first lathe
22/06/2020 17:15:04

I assume you can go and see it?

Bed shows wear ridges, the depth needs checking with a feeler gauge & steel rule. Suck your teeth if a 5thou gauge slips underneath and tell him £600

Don't forget it will only swing 7" dia x 20" long, which is just big enough for a Minnie traction engine wheel

Thread: Concrete Garages, Shelving and Catastrophe
21/06/2020 19:03:48

Doesn't that roof get a little damp?

Thread: Sign Language, Cochlear Implants, Hearing Aids
20/06/2020 18:07:28
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 20/06/2020 11:56:35:

Not a direct answer to your question, but in the future, I am interested in learning Makaton.The reason is it opens a door to communcating with a lot more people.

It's a simplified approach to sign language, with differences according to location (the UK version uses symbols from BSL).

The idea is that it's designed for use by a wider community, such as people with learning or social difficulties not just deafness. My brother uses it working with people with autism. It's often used alongside speech but someone with a basic knowledge of Makaton can communicate with someone who speaks BSL.

It's reduced vocabulary makes it useful for carers etc. as well as focusing on the needs of those who might struggle with a large vocabulary or limited movement.

Some people would like it to be taught in all schools to at least a basic level; I hope the benefits are obvious.

www.makaton.org/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makaton

Neil

Cbebbies 'Something special' Makaton lessons eveyday

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
Warco
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest