By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Kiwi Bloke

Here is a list of all the postings Kiwi Bloke has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Making a Start in FreeCAD
24/06/2019 00:07:57

I thought I'd replied, but my post seems to have got lost.

Problem solved!

Thanks Thor, you've got it! Clearly FreeCAD is smarter than this operator. I hadn't realised that the chamfer tool produces different results, exactly as you describe, depending on whether a surface or edge (line) is selected. I had indeed selected a surface to be chamfered, so FreeCAD obligingly found every edge and did its thing.

Apologies for stupid, unintended emojis in previous post. This forum's software has its own ideas about things...

Edited By Kiwi Bloke 1 on 24/06/2019 00:10:47

23/06/2019 12:41:01

It's great to see a champion of Free software, isn't it? Is part of the enthusiasm for other packages expressed by others a reflection of the amount of money they have forked out? However, I digress...

I've pm'd SOD about this, but don't want him to feel he has to waste time finding the answer. Far better that his excellent tutorial continues.

Here's the problem. When I applied a chamfer to the annular surface at either of the junctions of the two different diameters of the shank of the chuck key model, FreeCAD produced the expected 'external' chamfer, but also an internal 'fillet' (as would be produced by a V-shaped turning tool). I haven't found a way to restrict chamfers (or what FreeCAD calls 'fillets', but what I call 'corner-rounding' to external edges only. Anyone any ideas - without getting deep into python?

Thread: Metal de-coroder
22/06/2019 12:21:54

There's a lot about de-rusting on this forum, and others. Some is true, some isn't. Some is frankly magical beliefs.

Although vinegar and dilute citric acid have been advocated - both certainly work - some users report etching of the base metal under certain conditions. Phosphoric acid will certainly attack - especially if used in a high enough concentration to please the impatient. My experience is that the phosphate coat is too fragile to be worth the risk. Electrolysis is probably the ideal, although some warn of the risk of hydrogen embrittlement.

Molasses, improbable though it sounds, really works - albeit slowly - with no risk of attacking the base metal - and it tastes good! It acts by chelation, not acid attack. Other chelators work, but can't be easier to obtain than molasses. Tubs of the stuff can be got from country stores servicing the horsey brigade. I presume it goes into the front end of a horse, but what for I don't know (de-rusting?). Evaporust is believed to be a commercial (ie expensive) chelator. That works very well too.

Scrape crud off first, and de-grease with a strong detergent wash, then into the molasses (all sorts of dilutions are suggested; I use about 1 molasses : 2 water - or not - it's not critical. Leave, fully submerged, for a few days (longer if thick rust) and gently scrub off the grey residual coating. Rinse and repeat, if needed. When all done, oil immediately.

It's all been said before, but the message clearly hasn't got out...

20/06/2019 22:26:43

It's sometimes difficult to remember individual steps made when blundering around in the semi-dark... I think I selected the surface to receive the chamfer, expecting the chamfer to be applied to its external arris. Lo and behold, a chamfer was produced, but simultaneously also a fillet in the internal 'corner' at the junction of the larger and smaller diameter of the body of the key. Impressive and pretty, but was that what was intended...?

Thread: Re-lamping the Workshop
20/06/2019 11:13:12

Just got my latest subscription copy of ME. Glad to see old friend DAGB is still going strong. I thought I might add a little to his article.

In the late '90s (?) I bought a couple of goose-neck 12V halogen machine lights from Warco. Similar ones were quite common around then, and probably since. Good light, but unpleasantly hot, so a mixed blessing when working close to the lamp, as in when using a Unimat with magnification.

Last week, I finally got around to the mod I'd been intending to do for years. It took about 10 minutes (isn't it always the way?). The bulb, reflector and bulb-holder were removed, and a MR16 LED down-light 'bulb' was installed. I used a pukka ceramic MR16 socket, which came with fitted flying leads and cost next to nothing, but a couple of terminals separated from a small 'chocolate block' can also be used. More details of the mod would be superfluous - its obvious once you start, and dead easy. Lamp transformed!

Hopefully, this mod is common knowledge, and I've wasted your time reading this, but if it isn't common knowledge, it should be!

20/06/2019 10:55:00

Wow! Fantastic! Thank you Dave for taking the time to put such a clear guide together. Over the last year or so, I've installed FreeCad - and removed it in disgust - a number of times, having got nowhere. Today, I followed your guide to the end, with success! But what a tortuous process. I suppose that with practice (how much) and a comprehensive background knowledge of the application, its use becomes second-nature - but, until then...?

Locating the hole for the T-handle took a bit of guesswork. However, a guide such as this should not spoon-feed us with every minute step, should it?

The chamfer tool seems also to add fillets to the selected surface. How do you remove them, or have I done something stupid?

I haven't been able to install freecad-doc: it seems to be incompatible with the latest (Linux) version of the freecad package. This seems to mean that off-line help isn't possible. Again, have I been stupid?

Thread: Is CAD for Me?
06/06/2019 07:15:50

SOD - Brilliant! Thank you! Now you've shown where the front door is, I'd better be brave and venture in to FreeCAD. Ever thought of writing a bit more on the subject for MEW?

FreeCAD appeals to me because this is a Linux-only household, but the fact that it's free (and runs on any platform) should surely appeal to many of our colleagues, some of whom appear to be as tight as myself...

You say FreeCAD is a few years behind some commercial products; is this a bad thing, is it significantly handicapped? Most of us use manual machines, conceptually designed, or even dating from, the turn of the last century. We are used to old-fashioned stuff - ourselves, partners and friends included...

Thread: Quicksilver
06/06/2019 07:06:28

There's clearly a lot of fear, verging on hysteria, about the hazards that surround us. A lot of it is amplified by the bureaucrats who seem to want to think for us and/or instruct us how to think. Keep the public anxious, in ignorance and submissive. Create the illusion that the masters are lovingly looking after the people, wrapping them snugly in cotton-wool and keeping the nasty, scary things away. When you're lying on the floor, paralysed with fear about all this, it's worth finding out what the greatest dangers to life and limb are - and what the government isn't doing about them...

Elemental Hg (and Pb - also hysterically demonized) really aren't that risky: it is unusual to be in a situation where significant absorption is likely. Anyone should know that inhaling fumes of more-or-less anything (including tobacco and other combustion products, of course) is to be avoided. Some heavy metal compounds - some salts and, particularly, some organic compounds are, however, horribly toxic. That includes some compounds of gold. Some gold compounds were (still are?) used to treat inflammatory arthritides. IIRC, the safe dose range was very narrow. Gold is a toxic metal! OK, again, elemental gold is 'safe', although it's, surprisingly, a recognised allergen. Perhaps our 'protectors' should ban gold, just to be on the safe side...

On a less cynical note, one metal that really is an 'everyday' danger to model engineers is copper. If you ever suspect that you have a penetrating eye injury (and this can be surprisingly painless, at the time) due to copper, or copper-alloy swarf, for goodness' sake please panic: get to A&E pronto (and make sure they understand the possibility of Cu in your eye). Copper destroys eyes, very quickly!

04/06/2019 23:33:28

'I suspect the toxic smell was evaporated residue from the carpet cleaning products.' - or, perhaps, panic-induced soiled underwear...

04/06/2019 23:30:14

Thanks for the info, Frances. Blimey! Linux now enables time travel? Here in backward NZ, it's only just June. I used to see Linux Magazine in the shops, but no more. We have a woefully narrow range of mags here.

04/06/2019 23:21:27

John, that rings distant bells. I noticed bags of flowers of sulphur for sale in the animal care part of my local farm supply store. It seemed too good to ignore - a chance to procure something that seemed a bit 'naughty'. Apart from the obvious use (an ingredient necessary for historical attempts to blow up parliament buildings), I couldn't think of a sensible use for it, and what's it used for in/on animals? Anyway, thanks to your information, I can now deal with mercury spillages - a constant worry...

04/06/2019 22:58:48

Anyone here got any experience of Linux CAD packages - FreeCAD for example? I've installed it, and some of the supporting literature, but it looks completely baffling (where are the nursery slopes?). FreeCAD is also available for Windoze and Muck operating systems.

04/06/2019 22:51:07

The usual Kiwi laid-back approach to life and 'She'll be right' approach to life failed on this occasion:

**LINK**

I suppose that with a few kg of salvaged Hg you could cause a whole town to be evacuated (for ever?). If I hadn't been exposed to the nasty neurotoxin in my childhood, I suppose I might have been more intelligent, and capable of something better than posting subversive stuff in fora like this...

04/06/2019 10:34:30

Wow! 3D CAD seems wonderful. Can aged brains cope with the learning involved? I know nothing of 3D CAD (and almost as little about 2D CAD). Allowing for the presumed differences between the various applications' user interfaces, would it be possible for someone to provide (in MEW?) an introduction to the common concepts of 3D CAD? It seems that potential users stumble over the concepts, even before they have to wrestle with complex and confusing user interfaces, which, I assume, vary considerably from one package to the next.

Edited By Kiwi Bloke 1 on 04/06/2019 10:37:34

Edited By JasonB on 04/06/2019 16:05:53

04/06/2019 10:23:12

SOD; no I haven't forgotten. We are straying off the topic, however, the deranged individual you mention is best forgotten, I think. He was, to the best of my knowledge, not a bureaucrat, and it was about them that I being rude. Since you apparently take an interest in the goings-on in NZ, you probably know that a major re-write of the Arms Act was passed within a week of the atrocity. Further legislation is promised. There was no reasonable time allowed for public submissions, nor sensible parliamentry debate. The revised legislation contains a number of 'Henry VIII' clauses. These are dangerous and I would have thought incompetent in law.

74A Order in Council relating to definitions of prohibited firearm, prohibited magazine, and prohibited ammunition

The Governor-General may, by Order in Council made on the recommendation of the Minister,—

(a) amend or replace the description in section 2A of a semi-automatic firearm (except a pistol) or pump action shotgun that is a prohibited firearm:

(b) amend or replace the description in section 2B of a magazine that is a prohibited magazine:

(c) declare any semi-automatic firearm (except a pistol) or pump-action shotgun of a stated name or description to be a prohibited firearm for the purposes of this Act:

(d) declare any magazine of a stated name or description to be a prohibited magazine for the purposes of this Act:

(e) declare any ammunition to be prohibited ammunition for the purposes of this Act.

In other words, the government can re-define various terms as it thinks fit, when it thinks fit. These 'catch-all' clauses allow for any, or all firearms or ammunition to be declared illegal, on a whim. This is not a reasonable way to write legislation. The bureaucrats responsible are dangerous: a danger to reason and democracy and are no longer acting as servants of the public.

Thread: Changing a Senior M1 from Vertical to Horizontal.
04/06/2019 08:34:39

Yes, great idea from Gary. Centec heads weigh nothing, compared to the self-powered Senior head! cheeky

04/06/2019 08:27:18

Funny that carbon and sulphur are not in the list. Latter-day Guy Fawkeses would be relieved.

Re Hg; The useful(?) link states: "These are the concentration thresholds for poisons:" - and then fails to specify any! So homeopathic concentrations might be illegal. What about sea-water?

I wonder whether the medical topical antiseptic merbromin (mercurochrome) is now illegal.

Nigel - use your mercury to remove lead-fouling from your firearms. You pour a bit into the barrel, put a bung in the breech and muzzle and shake. Then you scrape out the lead-mercury amalgam. Oh, nearly forgot - aren't firearms subject to some bureaucratic regulation too? Instead, you could make some sodium-mercury amalgam - it's a very powerful reducing agent, and, judging by the linked document, elemental Na is entirely safe...

Bureaucrats are dangerous: whilst the public slept, they have mutated from servants to masters, but their wisdom and intelligence remains lacking.

Edited By Kiwi Bloke 1 on 04/06/2019 08:45:55

Thread: Changing a Senior M1 from Vertical to Horizontal.
03/06/2019 22:41:11

Brian, it depends on whether you're talking about removing the self-powered, quill-type vertical head or the non-quill, right-angled head (it also depends on how strong you are). The former is pretty heavy, the latter isn't. A decade ago, I could manage to manhandle the entire self-powered head onto and off the machine with ease, but a hoist seems safer, these days. The awkwardness is in getting the alignment right by 'feel', making sensitive, small positional adjustments, whilst trying not to sag or wobble under the load (which seems to increase as the task progresses), whilst balancing on some sort of step-up. Bad back = use mechanical aid!

My Senior is a late 'Universal', with the prismatic overarm. On the rare occasions that I have removed and replaced it, it was a sphincter-tightening experience to try to align it with the female dovetail, whilst supporting the considerable weight of the thing on my (well-padded) shoulder. I had visions of the end of a dovetail cracking off. Next time it comes off, it will be with a hoist...

Thread: Perfect solution
03/06/2019 22:12:41

Bit of a faff to go through all that, should you want to run the lathe in reverse (quite useful, sometimes)... Were the ends of the start winding inaccessible? A reversing switch is useful.

Thread: Lathe design
14/05/2019 08:42:54

Thanks Michael, an interesting link, which I've skimmed (I'll read it fully over a suitable number of bedtimes...), but it doesn't seem to address saddle design. It does, however, illustrate how early machine designers thrashed around, trying this and that, probably without much science being involved.

John, no. An adjuster-screw-supported gib strip (as opposed to a taper gib or 'block-type' gib) will certainly wear more than a 'rigid' bearing face - and unevenly too - if only because it's flexible, and really only reacts forces around the adjustment screw locations. But you don't want the major guiding face to wear, do you? Neither do you want to have to continually adjust it. Also, the aim is to make the guiding face to be as rigid as possible, so it should not be the gib-strip side. You will see that cross-slides and top-slides are (always?) arranged 'correctly'.

I'm still puzzled by some early designers having made what seems to me to be a fundamental blunder. I expect that they had their reasons, but what were they?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Meridienne; London MES
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
cowbells
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest