By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Kiwi Bloke

Here is a list of all the postings Kiwi Bloke has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Should have stayed on the sofa today
09/05/2020 12:46:52

Oh, thank goodness - I'm not alone! I thought my ability to carefully, and with great deliberation, make something completely - and I mean completely - wrong was unique. Do you think there are any more of us out there? Anyone?

Nice bit of work, though. It just needs to be rotated in a fourth spatial dimension (if you can find one), and all will be as intended.

[edit because of sub-total SNAFU]

Edited By Kiwi Bloke on 09/05/2020 12:48:52

Thread: Myford Super 7 Tail stock problem
07/05/2020 08:59:33

I've had similar experiences, although not in this application. Fine female threads in cast iron seem to have a magic ability to harbour tiny pieces of metal where they shouldn't be - swarf, presumably, from manufacture. The tiny bits seem to stick in the female thread, not the male thread. Presumably it's because of the concave shape of the recess, along the line of the thread. Thus, the male thread, as it advances, meets the edge of the 'bit', and progresses over the main body of the 'bit', which is spanning the hollow of the thread, and compresses it. [I don't think I've explained what I meant very well - too much strenuous work on the land today...].

As you work the male thread into the female, the 'swarf' is compressed and deforms so that any obvious edge that you could see or feel with a probe is blended into the thread's 'hollow'. What works for me is to drag a sharp, bent scriber around the thread, applying as much outward radial pressure as possible. Even if you shave a little from the root of the thread, it doesn't matter, does it? With luck, and some strong words, you'll be rewarded by the offending bit coming free.

Good luck.

Thread: New hobby lathe for retired engineer?
06/05/2020 11:51:12

Apologies - I haven't read all the posts in this thread, so may be way off target. Sometimes, it's possible to attack enoumous workpieces with a small lathe. For example, you may be able to produce an extremely accurate hole in a workpiece that's far to big to swing, by boring it with a between-centres boring bar. Size isn't everything, as the bishop said to......

Thread: Buying a small mill
06/05/2020 11:44:48

Ouch. Getting back to the original question... There's nothing wrong with round-column machines, provided that there's a key (or keyway) along the column, to preserve alignment, as the head is moved vertically. The Emco FB-2 is such a one and is a fine, compact machine, and it's said that some of its oriental clones are tolerable. Used ones come up fairly frequently.

Machines without any alignment-preserving feature are an abomination, regardless of whether some occasionally turn out acceptable work.

Thread: Clarkson Autolock Mystery Tool
05/05/2020 21:40:50

'I suspect that the adjuster alters the centre pin, which engages in the back of the normal Clarkson type threaded cutter, to set the tool protrusion from the chuck.'

Yes, that's it. They were originally used on NC machines, with tool automatic changers.

Thread: Alloy joining
04/05/2020 12:22:58

SIF 555 'self-fluxing alloy solder' appears to be the same stuff - but far cheaper than some suppliers (because less BS content?)...

Zn 93%, Al 4%, Cu 3%, melting point 380C.

Edited By Kiwi Bloke on 04/05/2020 12:23:43

Thread: Eunicell SR44 ... These are very cheap, but are they any good ?
29/04/2020 07:11:41

I've had a few retailers claim that LR44 were the same as SR44. Perhaps this one does, too...

Caveat emptor!

Thread: Only for Myford lathes
24/04/2020 08:40:30

I'm jealous as hell. No chance of finding one here in NZ, of course.

It looks like the 20th century hit Myford with a bang, and they got so scared they had to stop making them. What a pity. The 254 is a very anaemic-looking thing, in comparison. Interesting that there is no separate feed shaft: I suppose there's a keyway all along the leadscrew, for cross-slide power feed.

Any idea of new price, compared to Emco Super 11 and V13?

Thread: Anaerobic adhesive question
24/04/2020 08:31:42

Loctite 609 (unless they've renumbered it...)

Thread: Only for Myford lathes
19/04/2020 07:12:42

Graham, EPDM rubber (if that's what you meant, but your fingers thought otherwise) is not compatible with hydrocarbons. Nitrile rubber is OK. So your bit left over lives for another day...

Thread: Telescopic bore gauges
18/04/2020 11:58:15

Just being pedantic: repeatability isn't the same as accuracy. How do people describing their technique know that they have got 'good' measurements, i.e. accurate? Really, you need to test your gauges and technique on a range of different-sized standards.

The informative and hilarious 'This Old Tony' has recently put up a video on You Tube showing how to turn a sow's ear into something better by very simple fettling.

Thread: Shoe repair glue advice?
18/04/2020 11:46:00

Another satisfied user of Shoe Goo. It remains flexible, sticks like something nasty to a blanket and will fill large gaps, as well as being able to build up surfaces, as has been said. Also, it smells wonderful. Super-glue, although adhering well, and wicking into small gaps, cures to be too brittle, even the 'shock-resistant' and rubber-containing types. Where it gets deformed a lot, it eventually fails because it crumbles.

Thread: Damn Instagram!
18/04/2020 11:37:34

I used to follow Robin Renzetti and Stefan Gotteswinter (and others) on Instagram. Both excellent engineers, posting very interesting stuff.

Now, Instagram - part of the Farcebook empire - has blocked access to all but those who have sold their souls to the devil created an account, thereby giving away all sorts of data. Damn Instgram! A plague on them!

Thread: Serious Readers, serious prices
16/04/2020 10:08:47
Posted by pgk pgk on 16/04/2020 08:42:37:

Isn't there something about too much blue led light causing macular degenerations?

pgk

I think that's conjectural, however, here in NZ, the sun's bright and we're a bit close to the ozone hole, so I took up the option of a filter coating on my specs to 'prevent' macular degeneration. It makes the reflection, off the front of the lenses, of light sources look purple. Expensive rip-off? We'll see (I hope).

Thread: Help with Maths ratio problem?
16/04/2020 09:19:37

The ghost of examinations past says: some of us would say that 'rabbits' are juvenile 'coneys'.

16/04/2020 08:25:05

Which is the odd one out of 'banana, lemon, and orange'? [edited so it works better...]

The answere is, of course, 'and'. (Thanks to the film 'Funny Bones' for that...)

Seriously, what age of pupil was this question aimed at? And what is the typical age of this thread's participants? No wonder thread-cutting gear train problems still keep coming up...

However, the OP asks a valid question about explanation of the method; he's not asking what the answer is. Having tried to teach/explain a few mathematically-based things to graduates - and failed abysmally - I have great respect for good maths teachers. Unfortunately, they seem to be few and far between. I was lucky, but, of course, didn't know it at the time.

Edited By Kiwi Bloke on 16/04/2020 08:36:47

16/04/2020 08:16:52

ega - Since it appears that there's an appreciable amount of beer tokens already sunk in this lamp, you might consider passing over a few more...

Tunable LEDs are interesting - the spectrum emitted can be altered. It seems that a spectrum with a lot of blue wakes you up in the morning, but should be avoided in the evening, when a more red-heavy spectrum will prepare you for slumber. Plus, you can alter the 'white balance' if doing something when optimal colour fidelity is required.

Thread: Coronavirus
15/04/2020 22:05:45

Important warning for anyone making masks from bras - only use the left cup. You don't want to end up looking like a right tit.

Thread: Problem with EMCO FB-2
15/04/2020 07:24:47

...and to add to the above (now that memory has been jogged - thanks JN), the quill's main return spring is part of the quill assembly, not the weak spring on the pinion shaft, so don't be scared.

15/04/2020 06:47:39

If I remember the old ads, Serious Readers made a song and dance about the spectral properties of their lamps. Perhaps it's important. Perhaps it's a matter of taste. With MR16 LEDs, you can choose from a range of LED spectra ('warm white', 'cool white', etc., etc.). It's worth experimenting, they're so cheap - some (earlier?) 'cold light' LEDs made some colours look horrible, but I find no problem now.

Just a caution, IIRC, there was discussion here about there being both 12V and 220V LEDs in MR16 packages. AFAIK, 12V is the usual type.

Edited By Kiwi Bloke on 15/04/2020 06:52:01

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
EngineDIY
ChesterUK
Warco
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest