By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Kiwi Bloke

Here is a list of all the postings Kiwi Bloke has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Plastic and Paper Models
05/06/2020 08:25:20

Beautiful work!

Sad to see that Wingnut Wings is closing.

Thread: Covid19 - Overseas Subscriptions
04/06/2020 22:40:50

Thanks Neil; email coming. I can't even begin to imagine the difficulties you and the rest of the crew must be facing, trying to keep the ship afloat. Difficult times...

Thread: How can I seal this oil sight glass?
04/06/2020 22:32:56

I think you'll find that the brass piece is externally threaded, and screws into the CI body of the gearbox. The 'slots' are there for a driver ( best made, with a pilot to fit the bore ). The chromed ring probably therefore screws onto an extension of the threads, trapping the glass between the two. Be careful when attacking the chromed part - it's likely to be brass, so easily marred.

Hylomar is a good sealant, if subsequent disassembly is required, but pretty much any low-strength oil-resisting sealant will do here. Loctite 567 Hydraulic Sealant (assuming the number is current) is a great sealant for drain plugs and any union which relies on the threads for sealing. It sets, but is easy to undo. I wouldn't use it on the chromed ring, however - that needs to be easily undone.

Thread: Covid19 - Overseas Subscriptions
04/06/2020 11:41:26

Can we have an update please?

What is the solution for us overseas subscribers who want complete runs of the paper magazines so that we can get them professionally bound? Nothing received here in NZ (where international post seems to be received OK) for ages. Will there be stocks of the missing back issues available from MTM?

Thread: Brush motor repair
03/06/2020 10:56:44

Andrew - thanks, I hadn't heard of SEBO. A quick search reveals the model selling for about 310 GBP in John Lewis is magically NZ$1200 - about 600GBP - here. We get ripped off like this all the time. That's why repair becomes 'do or die'. I guess, for similar reasons, the local recycling (joke in NZ) centre doesn't have skips containing any Dysons - otherwise it's a good idea Chris. Luckily, it's not all gloom in NZ. We have only one active (known) case of Covid-19. Unfortunately, the economy is now wrecked, and the national debt is ridiculous. The government is throwing money around, all over the place, with no apparent idea of what it's supposed to do. Guess who will pay.

02/06/2020 13:19:26
Posted by Jeff Dayman on 02/06/2020 12:49:20:

BTW Dyson=junk+marketing IMHO

Agreed, however isn't that true of almost all 'consumer goods' these days? In fact it's worse - the wretched junk we have to choose from is carefully designed to fail. Marketing + Accountants - Engineers + Necessarily Passive Consumers = The Unacceptable Face of Capitalism?

Thread: Burgundy finish to tools with wooden handles?
02/06/2020 12:31:58

I wondered about that. Can you easily (in a factory setting) get a fairly thick coat with shellac?

02/06/2020 12:30:10

Well, I feel a bit let down. So much knowledge and wisdom here, but no-one's waved a magic wand and told me how to fix this wretched armature wire. Come on you lot! Please!

The winding is looped around its connection to the armature bar, a radial extension of which is bent over the loop, trapping it, and peened flat. I've managed to lift the peened-over bit, and release the loop. The break is just at the side of the armature bar. There is no slack, and only a few mm of wire to play with. I think that mechanical connections, perhaps with added solder for electrical integrity, are the way to go. I'm thinking of squashing a small brass ferrule around the wires, with a new length of wire going to the commutator, but it won't be easy...

At the moment, the whole thing has been put aside in the 'lacking inspiration' basket. Has anyone any better idea for a method of repair (inspiration isn't happening...)?

Thread: Burgundy finish to tools with wooden handles?
02/06/2020 12:18:45

Whatever the coating is, it's brittle, and eventually flakes off in nasty, sharp-edged 'splinters', revealing uncoloured wood. I assumed it was just a coloured old-style varnish (whatever that is).

Thread: Coronavirus
02/06/2020 12:11:28

I broadly agree with Martin Kyte's posts. Here is some more confounding stuff.

Arguments about the efficacy or wisdom of lockdown are, at present, not likely to be rational. The data simply isn't there yet. Comparison between countries is also unhelpful, because of the wildly different counting strategies used, and the amount of testing, to name just two problems.

When a novel infective disease appears to be spreading, it is naturally the worst cases that get identified. Those infected, but who just have a sniffle, will be overlooked. Therefore, it is a natural tendency to think that the disease is more dangerous than it will turn out to be. I think this is called 'ascertainment bias'. It was this that made the death rate seem scarily high at first, in some locations.

Pehaps governments were alerted to Bill Gates' TED talk of 2005, in which he pointed out that the world was completely unprepared for the next pandemic. SARS and 'bird flu' had been scares. This lack of preparation, and the human desire to 'do something' might partly explain governments' apparent panic over-reaction, although some countries chose to wait and see what would happen.

Three public health priorities are pretty obvious: 1, protect the population as a whole; 2, protect the individuals; 3, protect the health service from being swamped. Essentially, 1 involves the isolation of infective people, 2 involves people staying away from infective people, and 3 involves slowing down the rate of spread of the disease. Lockdown and quarantine clearly attack 1 and allows 2 and will help with 3, but it isn't as simple as that.

It has become clear that this disease is tricky because it is very easily transmitted and perhaps the majority of people who become infected have no, or minimal symptoms. Unfortunately, infected people appear to be most infective a few days before symptoms develop. Naturally, asymptomatic people don't seek medical help, and generally won't get tested, unless a screening programme is in operation. Therefore, if they are allowed to, they will, unknowingly, infect other people, and may be the major vector. Ill people typically don't stagger around infecting others, but take to their beds. So it is clear that aggressive testing is of little use, unless the population is locked down.

Relying only on the isolation or quarantining of infected people after they become symptomatic therefore removes only a proportion of the spreaders from the vulnerable population. Therefore, lockdown is, perhaps somewhat accidentally, a very good idea. It is a specious argument that lockdown is pointless because it's too late (it should have been sooner and more aggressive in UK and elsewhere) - everything helps.

Infectious disease epidemics have a tendency to fizzle out, apparently even without sophisticated medical or social intervention. The development of herd immunity (and the assumption that there is a high proportion of asymptomatic infected people) is a component of this fizzling out, but there are other mechanisms. Natural selection favours less lethal strains of infective agents, and many viral epidemics seem to have followed this, with the population of viruses becoming less dangerous with time. At present, it is not clear whether herd immunity is, or will develop for this virus. It's not safe to rely on it. We will see what happens in Sweden...

If transmission continues, because isolation of, or avoidance of spreaders isn't successful, the proportion of the population which becomes infected may reach the level it would have done without any social limitation measures. This is not a reason to abandon lockdown, etc., because it ignores the possible explosion of severe cases leading to health care overload.

There's more - much more - of course, and one thing's sure - it ain't simple. Governments had to make tough decisions when the hard science was deficient. Epidemiologists are taught that they should be very cautious about making predictions, however 'good' their mathematical models appear to be. In retrospect, many decisions will prove to have been poor, but we may be very grateful for others. In cases of life or death, it seems to me to be better to err on the side of caution.

UK's figures are distorted because the prevelance of the disease isn't known, partly because testing has been so limited. Death certification mechanics have been changed, and it seems that deaths are frequently registered as being because of Covid-19 when, in fact, there is only a suspicion. I may be wrong, but I believe that a large number of people have been registered as dying from Covid-19 without having been tested.This seems to be common in residential homes. So the number of deaths is inflated, and the number of cases is too low, so the 'death rate' in UK appears artificially high. It isn't surprising that the disease has spread rapidly in UK - people are so highly 'connected' and there have been many persisting infection 'hot spots', eg the tube continuing to operate makes a mockery of lockdown.

Thread: Method of joining for chuck key?
28/05/2020 13:40:04

Robert Atkinson beat me! Dental X-rays won't penetrate - they are too low energy. Also, I think you'd need higher energy photons than general medical diagnostic X-ray gear provides. You could try your local radiotherapy centre, perhaps. You'd need an energy where the attenuation coefficients of Fe and Cu/Sn were sufficiently different to allow them to be distinguished. I once had a cello put through a hospital CT scanner - that was interesting, but another story!

Thread: Coronavirus
28/05/2020 13:29:18

Three things to consider (out of many more, of course)...

1. Until the number of infected people is known as accurately as the number of deaths from the disease, the true population death rate from the disease can't be calculated. Because there seems to be a large proportion of infected people who never get diagnosed, partly because disease screening isn't being done and because not all infected people develop significant symptoms, the prevalence of the disease remains unknown.

2. An individual's risk of death depends greatly on the individual's circumstances, and isn't simply related to the population's death rate.

3. The old and infirm seem to be at greatest risk of death. Countries in which people tend to die before they get old, or have a 'young' population for whatever reason, or who don't survive infirmity, can be expected to show a lower death rate than, say, UK, where the wonderful NHS keeps old wrecks going far longer than they might in countries without universal high-quality health care. So, a country's death rate (from coronavirus) may tell you more about the population's characteristics, or the way data is collected, than it does about the intrinsic lethality of the disease, or the adequacy of available healthcare. Or not - you just can't tell, because the data isn't there yet.

Apologies to any old wrecks reading this - no offence meant.

Thread: Machine Tool Peripheral Hoists
28/05/2020 12:53:20

I don't want to watch the video - it sounds like a horror movie...

Thread: Method of joining for chuck key?
28/05/2020 12:52:01

Tapered, square-section shaft and hole, round shaft end peened over, to hold it in?

25/05/2020 09:22:09

Quite - my worry too. I was expecting to have to bind any soldered joint. 'There has to be some way of fixing this,' he said, in quiet desperation...

25/05/2020 07:48:56

Hi Folks, anyone got any good ideas? I'm hoping to resurrect the YDK motor in a Dyson DC14 vacuum cleaner. It's only 15 years old, and on its second set of brushes, so it's too young to let die... If I can repair it, I might be able to offset the brownie points earned against having to use the horrible thing, so it's worth a few hours of cursing.

I've discovered that an armature winding wire has broken, just at its junction with the commutator. Of course, it has to be one of the wires that lies in the inner layer of the obliquely-orientated wires to and from the commutator bars, and there's no slack. Assuming I can extract the armature, I may be able to winkle about 1 cm of the broken wire out from under the others, into an accessible position, to graft on a short length which can then be joined to the commutator.

It looks like an awkward job, requiring micro-surgical techniques. Has anyone any tips or suggestions relevant to this sort of endeavour? Should I attempt to make a mechanical junction at the commutator (if possible), rather than, or in addition to, soldering the new wire in? It looks like the winding wires have been connected to the commutator by crimping or, possibly, spot welding (difficult to see with the armature in situ, but no solder evident).

Thread: ER collet adapter
24/05/2020 10:43:45

I'm not doubting your observation, but I'm struggling to understand how. [I like to understand things - it's a failing...] The supply of obviously defective screws with the kit would raise my suspicions to danger level, and I'd be going all over the thing with an impressive array of metrology gear. Or wondering whether to return the thing...

Edited By Kiwi Bloke on 24/05/2020 10:47:45

24/05/2020 10:15:55

Perhaps I'm being a bit thick, and have missed something important, but I would expect this set to be designed so that the collet body is kept in radial alignment by a register on the adaptor. I'd expect the user to have to turn the register's diameter down to size, and also to face the adaptor. Then, surely, even 'wobbly' screws - if they fit the holes - will not derange alignment.

Thread: Logging in
20/05/2020 08:47:35

Just adding to the evidence base, should anyone be trying to get to the bottom of this issue. Never had a problem, although I don't log on all that often, and stay logged-on for only as long as it takes to make a couple of posts. Using Linux, Firefox, AdBlock plus, NoScript. I disallow third-party cookies and clear cookies between sites. Only script allowed is from ...model-engineer.co.uk. Therefore, for me, there's no evidence that this site is misbehaving.

Thread: To grease or not grease
17/05/2020 11:16:12

Grease is fine for low(ish) speed applications, in which dirt can be kept out. Too much grease and/or too high a speed will cause the bearing to run warm or hot. This isn't going to happen in this application, in which retention of lubricant is probably the prime concern. Oil has a habit of dribbling away. So grease is good.

Oil is good for high-speed bearings (eg high-speed spindles), particularly if it circulates. It will carry heat away from the bearing, and, with luck, muck too. But few machines we are likely to come across will have oil pumps...

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest