By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Gardener

Here is a list of all the postings John Gardener has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: In praise of Oldtimers
18/11/2017 19:15:13

My favourite old workshop sign was one in a glass cutters in Plymouth many years ago and shortly after decimation (word used intentionally)

If God had wanted us to be metric, there would have been ten disciples.

Thread: What Did You Do Today (2017)
06/11/2017 12:32:10
Posted by Sam Longley 1 on 06/11/2017 11:34:59:
Posted by Roderick Jenkins on 06/11/2017 09:50:19:
Posted by Sam Longley 1 on 06/11/2017 07:33:02:

What is the betting that in a minute these 2 are going to find that they had a long lost daughter together that they never knew about wink

smiley Unlikely. There was no room for me in the hostel so I was billeted in the "officers mess", which was populated by unsociable long term inmates - I went home at weekends.

Rod

Yes I suppose so- one would be careful about a bloke who goes around looking at the pin holes in UK plug sockets . I wonder how many do that sort of thing!!!.

Dare not Google it,--- in case I get a visit from the "authorities"

( he says as he ducks below parapet)sad

If you want to chance a 'visit' tryse nding amess ageli kethi sinfi velett ergro psoka

Thread: Are you offended when the media poke fun at your hobby?
27/10/2017 13:53:09

As a 'pretendy' engimeer, target shooter, Freemason, Grandad, and generally grumpy old man, the bolt threaders, (were Julian and Sandy bolt threaders?) can take the ---- any time. Anyway, take the mick all you want, it will be my turn next :devil-) --- I think I have just discovered a new insult - a bolt threader. Thanks guys, made my day cheeky

18/10/2017 13:08:44

Alas (and thanks for the vote of confidence silly old duffer) only 30 yards. .615 bore, undersized .600 ball and .015 greased patch. Swiss number two in both barrel and pan, primimg powder being so more expensive. The first phase of test complete I plan now to work up loads with a .610 ball, to test and prove my limited skills befor I get 'serious'. I was, as you can imagine, quite apprehensive when I fired the first one or two. Pete, I'll let you know how I get on because I have very quickly become hooked on flinters!

17/10/2017 16:19:01

first 15 1.jpg

It's not 'engineering' it's not gun-smithing, it's the completion of building my kit Baker. What I did today was fire fifteen shots, yes, there is one missing, but my smile is no smaller for all that. Who knows, the group may get smaller when I have fitted some sights! One very happy bunny here. Fired with 36 grains and 72 grains. The 72 grain 'group' is the seven shots top right hand corner/

16/10/2017 18:25:25

Jennycliff especially laugh

Funny sky here at Bisley too and twenty three degrees at lunch-time.

Wind will make shooting 'fun' tomorrow.

14/10/2017 18:50:15

Android?face 10

10/10/2017 10:46:15

Robin, that's correct. The gun arrived in kit form from America some time ago, the barrel wasn't vented so no FAC etc. required. I had arranged a slot on my FAC so was free to enter it as 'manufactured' I plan to use it for charity fund raising events and so it needs proof. I shall be testing it this week-end at Bisley and, if it works, shooting a competition the following week-end. That should be fun. I like shooting because racquet doesn't, club doesn't, cue doesn't, bat doesn't; but gun rhymes with fun!smile p

09/10/2017 21:46:48

What is the wheel-lock, do you have a picture?

I have just started the final stage of building a repro Baker with a rifled barrel. I have no photo's to my shame as I should have documented every stage.

I am hoping to take it to Bisley this week-end to test it before it goes to the proof house.

Keep everything crossed for me please smile p

06/10/2017 20:59:02

Today I spent some time fettling a flintlock rifle but the best part of my day was this evening. As the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month approaches, we went to the Naval Memorial on Plymouth Hoe.poppies in the sunset.jpg

Thread: Don't open that Screwfix/Electricfix invoice you were not expecting
04/10/2017 20:43:20

Just delete anything you find suspicious. Returning it, or answering it only confirms that your email address is active.

I probably get a dozen a week, less since I closed down my web-site, but they all get deleted.

26/09/2017 11:41:39
Posted by Robin on 25/09/2017 20:41:01:

John, you will have to come and shoot some ML sporting clays with me, first Sunday every month just outside Guildford face 1

Robin,

Thank you I have shot a few times with Gary Evans both at his ground (Now gone of course) and in Pirbright Barracks. To shoot BP would be fun I know. Sadly my last 'first Sunday' at Bisley for 2017 is this week and I shall be on the 900/1000x firing points most of the day. I have already committed your offer to the plot for next year

Thread: Ebay rules
26/09/2017 10:30:33

As I understand it, the Chinese government subsidises postage for small business . Hence free postage to us buyers. I did read somewhere that this is scheduled to end next year. As an amateur, the stuff is good enough quality for me to use and I don't have expensive once used tooling sitting on the shelf. If I find that I use a bit of kit reqularly enough to warrant it, I buy 'good'

25/09/2017 18:44:23

Neil,

I was offered a job by The National Rifle Association, with modest accommodation and a job for SWIMBO too; I had the chance of a lifetime to make my hobby my career.

If it has a trigger - I'm your man. I now live in Plymouth in the winter, fettling; and on the back of the ranges in a mobile home in the summer, shooting and officiating. However did I find the time to work?

F Class, Classic Rifle, Black powder pistol, musket, shotgun. Life has been, and continues to be, good

25/09/2017 18:05:40
Posted by Robin on 25/09/2017 17:45:09:

There is something deliciously pointable about a Baker. Did you see there is a signed copy of his book Remarks on Rifle Guns up for sale? I am trying very hard not to buy it but I am not strong... embarrassed

Robin, I have a reproduction which is interesting reading. I am so enamoured of the Baker that, not only have I a kit from Ye Olde Rifle Shoppe that, impatient with myself for taking so long building it I bought an Indian Made smoothbore version which does really point well as you say. Long before Sharpe I wanted a Baker. My wife says I can have one if Sean Bean comes with it!

25/09/2017 16:15:55

image035.jpg Napoleonic era engineering. A genuine Ezekiel Baker .610 calibre, flintlock rifle, not mine, I was allowed to shoot it a few years ago. At three hundred yards I was asking too much of it but to fire eight thousand quid's worth (ten years ago price) of history brought a huge smile to my face. I am now building one in my fettling shed.

25/09/2017 16:05:19
Posted by Mike on 25/09/2017 13:02:59:

Thanks for the picture, John: one of my favourite places, too, although visits are now impossible due to distance from the north of Scotland and advancing age. Used to go there regularly when I was editor of Target Gun magazine in the early 1980s.

Target Gun Magazine, memories. I still have one, when we moved house, from Plymouth to Bisley about twelve years ago, sadly, about ten years worth of TG and Guns Review went into a skip. Interestingly enough, on the ground this morning, I found a nickel .38 super case. Must have been there since the last time Stickledown was used by the UKPSA for a match. Thank you Mike, for all the excellent magazines.

25/09/2017 16:00:15
Posted by Robin on 25/09/2017 15:39:47:
Posted by John Gardener on 25/09/2017 12:47:58:

Stickledown Range at 900 yards this morning.

Huh, call that a gun wink

**LINK**

Did that work?

That is serious fun! I have a flintlock, not as big as that, but it is fun. As is shooting at a target 1000 yards away trying to hit a central bull the size of a CD. No other sporting implement rhymes with fun, but gun does

Take a look here **LINK**

25/09/2017 12:47:58

I am spending today, all week in fact, in my favourite place on earth (Fettling shed being the second favourite) This was Stickledown Range at 900 yards this morning. What's that to do with engineering you ask, come and look at the rifles and equipment in use this week. The European 'F' Class Championships. It won't be on the news because its GUNS! file.jpeg

Thread: Ebay rules
24/09/2017 19:55:43

At first I was 'peeved' at what I too thought was a big brother approach, although, on reflection I can see their point.

As a buyer of overseas produced kit. EBay is/was a major source of my shopping, however, Banggood has no such policy.

I now 'visit the buyers website'. and take it from there.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
cowbells
Meridienne oct 2019
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest