By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David Standing 1

Here is a list of all the postings David Standing 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Warco WM18 has arrived
09/03/2017 09:41:46

I'm jealous, because my new WM18 was delivered by Warco last August, and it is still sitting on its pallet in my garage under a cover!

The Boxford 280 and Myford Super 7 lathes are also sitting there under sheets too, along with a Centec horizontal mill, and a Clarkson tool grinder......

Before I can set everything up and start using it I have to build a 4.8m long shed at the back of the garage (to remove a lot of the clutter from the garage, to make room for the machinery to be set out properly), plus build a new garage adjoining the existing one, so I can put the car in it.

Building the new garage doesn't affect setting up the workshop, except at the time of doing this I will rewire the existing one to take the machinery, so that is also holding things up.

So, a way to go yet before the place is up and running! sad

Edited By David Standing 1 on 09/03/2017 09:42:16

Thread: GripTru Chuck Pin stuck!
08/03/2017 22:19:09

Electrical Discharge Machining - spark erosion wink

Thread: Milling - What am I doing wrong
06/03/2017 09:32:06
Posted by Involute Curve on 04/03/2017 17:59:52:
Posted by petro1head on 04/03/2017 17:55:11:

Next job is cutting a large hole in an aluminium front drive wheel cover on the Harley

Grenade....... devil

Cruel.....but amusing wink 2.

Thread: Warco WM18 has arrived
03/03/2017 11:05:45

Petro1head

If you are a perfectionist, why are the csk screw heads in your wall bracket out of line?

(Note, that comment is a leg pull, not a criticism wink 2).

And, a serious comment, I will be interested to see if that bracket makes the shed wall resonate like a drum?

Thread: ?? The most expensive dore westbury yet ??
23/02/2017 21:26:50

Good luck dealing with that eBay seller, I had a nightmare experience with him disgust.

Thread: Preventing Rust
17/02/2017 10:33:58
Posted by Gordon W on 16/02/2017 11:53:42:

I would like to understand why some people have had bad experiences with WD40. I've been using it for many years with good results. The only thing it is not good at is as a release agent, but better than nothing. When the roof blew off my w/shop a couple of winters ago just about the first thing I got was a gallon of WD40, sprayed everything in sight. After a c lean up sprayed inside the drawers and cupboards where measuring instruments etc. kept. Now very little trouble, some staining, some rust here and there but easily wiped off. Lanolin is good, I buy it for cracked skin and found by chance it is a good rust protector. Difficult to find as pure grease, because of the anthrax. Got mine as "heat treated" from the land of the sheep Australia. Any thin oil will work for stuff in use.

Pick a use you use WD40 for, and almost certainly there will be another product that will do the job better.

WD40 - jack of all trades, master of none......wink 2.

17/02/2017 10:32:14
Posted by Vic on 16/02/2017 11:39:16:

As for WD40, I sprayed the table on my old milling machine many years ago to stop it going rusty. A week later I went out into the workshop and it was covered in rust! Not something I will ever repeat. WD40 has its uses but stopping rust doesn't appear to be one of them!

WD40 is pretty useless for pretty much everything in my experience!

It only has around 5% lubricant content, so isn't much use a a lubricant, or a rust preventative.

In another rust proofing thread someone mentioned that it is also hygroscopic - that will spark off a debate!

Thread: Second Lathe ?
15/02/2017 22:29:20

Yes, a Boxford 280 and a Myford Super 7.

And two milling machines.........well, vertical, and horizontal!

Thread: Lathe for sale
02/02/2017 23:27:32

I saw it weeks ago too.

'Owned by a time served engineer'. Hmmm, what did he serve - 20 years in Wormwood Scrubs for impersonating an engineer?! wink 2

Thread: Tramming!
30/01/2017 18:33:43
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 30/01/2017 18:28:22:

using a 4" length of square HSS as a scraper is hell on your fingers!

Neil

Not if you stick a number of lengths of insulating tape across two of the edges wink 2

Thread: What's the best way of telling a poster he's wrong?
24/01/2017 16:34:46

'What's the best way of telling a poster he is wrong?'

That largely depends on who the poster is!

There are a couple here where you would be better saying nothing at all, no names mentioned, natch......wink 2.

With them, it would be much simpler to just go outside and bang your head sharply on the wall!

Thread: Boxford screw cutting
24/01/2017 14:58:54
Posted by Tractor man on 24/01/2017 14:28:19:
David thanks for the link and the caution lol.
John I thank you for your input, I have emailed boxford spares to find if I can purchase change gears and await an answer. As you said it's not out of the way for a new machine but I may buy the most useful ones to begin with. Mick

Mick

You're welcome.

You will probably get Gary Butterworth reply to you from Boxford. I've bought Boxford 280 stuff from him in the past, and he's been pretty helpful to me.

24/01/2017 14:57:10
Posted by John Stevenson on 24/01/2017 13:52:01:

Went and looked at that link and for a brand new lathe they didn't seem over expensive by the each.

I know it would soon mount up for a set but there won't be many about second hand at this point in time although being MOD based and more than likely from the far East there might be alternatives. However they do have splines, and not a keyway.

As an exercise I too the 60 tooth and they want £32.72 for it.

Assuming 1.5 MOD then HPC who they repeatedly tell us are "Never knowingly undersold " even though their budget rack is more expensive that their standard rack. wink

Require £28.41 for the same gear but then you have to machine an internal spline.

John

I agree, I don't think they are too expensive on an individual basis either, but if you bought eight or ten gears, and paid vat, and carriage, you could soon have a bill north of £3-400.

24/01/2017 13:20:58

As that's a 'new' Boxford, Boxford have them in stock.

http://www.boxford-software.com/spares/x10Menu.html

Be prepared for a hit to your wallet though..............surprise

Edited By David Standing 1 on 24/01/2017 13:21:43

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread (2017)
12/01/2017 20:11:30

I also commissioned a lathe today.

I picked up a bargain minter of a Super 7 back in October and took it to bits to get it home, as a friend gave me a plastic bush that he needed boring out yesterday, I thought it was time to put it back together smile p.

This afternoon I put the toolslide back on, fitted my Dickson QCTP, refitted the motor, set the pulleys up parallel, wired the motor to the junction box, and away it went (well, after a bit of terminal swopping in the junction box).

Bush sorted smile d.

12/01/2017 14:44:46

With a bit of heaving, shoving, brute force and ignorance but surprisingly not any swearing, have just managed to shoehorn an oversize pallet into the last remaining bit of floor space in my workshop (until I build an extension......).

Strapped to the pallet is a Clarkson Mk II tool cutter grinder smile p wink 2.

Thread: Number plate
12/01/2017 10:15:38

Some are acrylic, some are ABS.

Edited By David Standing 1 on 12/01/2017 10:18:05

Thread: "Gas" Threads
12/01/2017 02:53:28
Posted by Ajohnw on 11/01/2017 12:51:11:

Thanks Jason. Useful. I have a book with loads in but it's falling apart and a pc reference is useful anyway.

There will be a pdf version here for a month maybe. One of the wonders of Linux. Can be done straight from any browser.

**LINK**

I don't think there is any problem doing this providing the credits are left on the end. Not sure that freeserve exists any more either. The original doesn't.

John

-

John

Freeserve > Wanadoo > Orange > EE

Thread: Colchester Master
11/01/2017 07:39:26
Posted by Ady1 on 11/01/2017 00:27:09:

Should keep you occupied until the spring

Spring 2023 wink 2.

Thread: Consumer units -how do they work?
10/01/2017 10:40:03
Posted by Toby on 10/01/2017 07:46:21:
Posted by David Standing 1 on 10/01/2017 01:44:58:
Posted by Robin Graham on 09/01/2017 23:33:06:

Extractor now working fine. I really only needed to know if it was an over current or earth leak that was tripping the box. Armed with the info that it was an earth leak, I tracked it down to a live wire which must have been trapped between the entry box and the casing, perhaps when the previous owner had fiddled with it. Squashed, but no bare wire so probably a capacitative leak. Rewire without replacing components seems to have sorted it.

End of thread?

Rob.

Edited By Robin Graham on 09/01/2017 23:36:04

Well Rob, that's taken all the fun out of it! laugh.

but good news it was a easy fix

Indeed smiley.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest