By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David Standing 1

Here is a list of all the postings David Standing 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Run out on a rotary table
29/03/2017 23:03:45

Personally, if the workpiece is unsupported at the other end (and better practice even if it is), I would never use a rotary table just being clamped to the mill table by the base, even with a clamp on the back as well, as there are lots of leverage forces at play.

As well as the RT being clamped to the mill table, I would use a big angle plate or box big enough to also reach the top flange mount of the RT and clamp it there, as well as to the table.

Supporting the workpiece at the other end would probably cure most of the issues, but it still offends my engineering eye to see a RT just clamped near the table like that.

Not a criticism as such, just an observation wink

Thread: What to buy next??
29/03/2017 22:37:01
Posted by duncan webster on 29/03/2017 19:46:51:

If you want to work to thous, don't rely on digi calipers, buy a micrometer

Or just get some decent digital calipers wink 2.

Thread: 3-phase to single phase
27/03/2017 18:21:47
Posted by Bob Brown 1 on 27/03/2017 18:15:29:

It begs the question why are they scrapping it?

I think the answer may be in line two of post one wink

Thread: Poor cutting
22/03/2017 15:08:33

Curtis

Got your PM, thanks.

Will call you in the next evening or two.

In the meantime, what I would suggest is that rather than replace the brass with a piece of mild steel and trying the tangential tool on that as has been suggested; I would keep the piece of brass in the chuck, but replace the tangential tool with a conventional tool and holder, and try facing the brass off with that - and, as has been suggested, preferably with a round nosed tool.

The reason for this is because it will then show up whether or not there is a problem with the tangential tool/holder, or an issue with the lathe, such as spindle or slide/gib wear.

I am also assuming that the tool tip was centred on the brass?

21/03/2017 22:45:56
Posted by Curtis Rutter on 21/03/2017 22:41:40:
Posted by David Standing 1 on 21/03/2017 21:37:59:

So here's an even more off the wall suggestion - is the tool holder contacting the brass?!

It's definitely not I'm paranoid about that! I'm located in Ware, Hertfordshire, UK

Ok!

I'm regularly in Stansted Abbots, would be happy to cast another pair of eyes over it, it's often much easier to diagnose these things when you can see them before your eyes?

21/03/2017 22:28:52

Curtis, where are you located?

21/03/2017 21:37:59

So here's an even more off the wall suggestion - is the tool holder contacting the brass?!

21/03/2017 18:16:55

I am guessing that the marks across the face are made by the cutting tool being dragged across the face of the brass after the spindle has stopped.

I'm also guessing that the circumferential marks are made by the cutting tool being advanced into the material when it is stationary, then the lathe is being switched on.

Thread: Machinery removals
20/03/2017 21:00:02
Posted by Martin Connelly on 20/03/2017 15:07:12:

Muzzer the term for looping slings over hooks or through shackles or lifting eyes is reeving. It is a big no no in the eyes of anyone with any lifting training since it is easy for a load with a high or offset centre of gravity to start to move with the result so aptly shown in your photo.

reeving of slings.jpg

Martin C

That second example is almost as bad as the first!

A spreader bar should be used in those circumstances, so there is a straight lift on the eye bolts, not introducing side forces on the eye bolt threads, as the example shown would.

Thread: Milling - What am I doing wrong
16/03/2017 19:00:10
Posted by petro1head on 16/03/2017 18:48:58:

Well, for those who were skeptical .................................................

Edited By petro1head on 16/03/2017 18:49:36

Oh God, have you just edited out another Seasick Steve video? wink 2 surprise.

Thread: Warco WM18 has arrived
09/03/2017 13:09:14
Posted by petro1head on 09/03/2017 09:57:20:

Crumbs, you must have patience of a saint

Tell me about it. I've prioritised my jobs, and sorting the workshop has to wait, probably until around June-July, so not far off now cool.

09/03/2017 13:07:39
Posted by Scrumpy on 09/03/2017 12:21:02:

Blow the garage for the car swarf needs to be made if you leave the machines outside covered over a light coating of rust will start then you will spend all your time cleaning and no swarf

You must live in a crime free area as around were I live a machines would be gone by know

Machines are in the garage, car lives outside, despite the fact that is my pride and joy too, and also highly nickable wink 2.

I'm also in a rural area in the middle of nowhere wink.

09/03/2017 09:41:46

I'm jealous, because my new WM18 was delivered by Warco last August, and it is still sitting on its pallet in my garage under a cover!

The Boxford 280 and Myford Super 7 lathes are also sitting there under sheets too, along with a Centec horizontal mill, and a Clarkson tool grinder......

Before I can set everything up and start using it I have to build a 4.8m long shed at the back of the garage (to remove a lot of the clutter from the garage, to make room for the machinery to be set out properly), plus build a new garage adjoining the existing one, so I can put the car in it.

Building the new garage doesn't affect setting up the workshop, except at the time of doing this I will rewire the existing one to take the machinery, so that is also holding things up.

So, a way to go yet before the place is up and running! sad

Edited By David Standing 1 on 09/03/2017 09:42:16

Thread: GripTru Chuck Pin stuck!
08/03/2017 22:19:09

Electrical Discharge Machining - spark erosion wink

Thread: Milling - What am I doing wrong
06/03/2017 09:32:06
Posted by Involute Curve on 04/03/2017 17:59:52:
Posted by petro1head on 04/03/2017 17:55:11:

Next job is cutting a large hole in an aluminium front drive wheel cover on the Harley

Grenade....... devil

Cruel.....but amusing wink 2.

Thread: Warco WM18 has arrived
03/03/2017 11:05:45

Petro1head

If you are a perfectionist, why are the csk screw heads in your wall bracket out of line?

(Note, that comment is a leg pull, not a criticism wink 2).

And, a serious comment, I will be interested to see if that bracket makes the shed wall resonate like a drum?

Thread: ?? The most expensive dore westbury yet ??
23/02/2017 21:26:50

Good luck dealing with that eBay seller, I had a nightmare experience with him disgust.

Thread: Preventing Rust
17/02/2017 10:33:58
Posted by Gordon W on 16/02/2017 11:53:42:

I would like to understand why some people have had bad experiences with WD40. I've been using it for many years with good results. The only thing it is not good at is as a release agent, but better than nothing. When the roof blew off my w/shop a couple of winters ago just about the first thing I got was a gallon of WD40, sprayed everything in sight. After a c lean up sprayed inside the drawers and cupboards where measuring instruments etc. kept. Now very little trouble, some staining, some rust here and there but easily wiped off. Lanolin is good, I buy it for cracked skin and found by chance it is a good rust protector. Difficult to find as pure grease, because of the anthrax. Got mine as "heat treated" from the land of the sheep Australia. Any thin oil will work for stuff in use.

Pick a use you use WD40 for, and almost certainly there will be another product that will do the job better.

WD40 - jack of all trades, master of none......wink 2.

17/02/2017 10:32:14
Posted by Vic on 16/02/2017 11:39:16:

As for WD40, I sprayed the table on my old milling machine many years ago to stop it going rusty. A week later I went out into the workshop and it was covered in rust! Not something I will ever repeat. WD40 has its uses but stopping rust doesn't appear to be one of them!

WD40 is pretty useless for pretty much everything in my experience!

It only has around 5% lubricant content, so isn't much use a a lubricant, or a rust preventative.

In another rust proofing thread someone mentioned that it is also hygroscopic - that will spark off a debate!

Thread: Second Lathe ?
15/02/2017 22:29:20

Yes, a Boxford 280 and a Myford Super 7.

And two milling machines.........well, vertical, and horizontal!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
ChesterUK
cowells
Warco
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest