By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David Standing 1

Here is a list of all the postings David Standing 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What's the most dangerous tool in your workshop
11/05/2017 08:36:16
Posted by vintagengineer on 10/05/2017 22:13:25:

King Dick spanners? No automatic alt text available.

King Dick? Nope, Britool wink 2

Thread: Myford Super 7 - Crompton Motor cuts out at high speeds
10/05/2017 00:08:34
Posted by Nicholas Hill on 09/05/2017 20:43:14:

Hi, sorry for the delayed reply. I have only just had a day that I could play with my Myford.

I have just looked at the data plate on the motor, and it says for BHP 1/3KW.....so I think that relates to about 1/2 HP.

So, as there is little heat generation, I am assuming that, based on the above, i need a more powerful motor to run the highest speed.

I am only turning 1/2" to 1/8" at the moment, so I don't need the highest speeds immediately. I just assumed that if Myford supplied the motor, it would be sufficient for the job.

In the long term, any views of 3 phase? Is the extra speed control worth it?

Many thanks again, and sorry for the delay in replying,

Nicholas

1/3 KW is 333 watts, 1/2 HP is 373 watts, so yes it is slightly less than 1/2 HP.

Thread: ALBA 2S Shaper - Obtained in reasonable shape..
10/05/2017 00:02:55

Joseph

Well done, but that's waaaaay to dirty to go anywhere your workshop wink 2.

Thread: This monster arrived in our small harbour today
09/05/2017 14:23:57
Posted by fivethou hammer on 09/05/2017 13:55:26:

Nice boat. I bet his lathe is not a Warco........crying

And I bet his boat anchor isn't a Super Adept wink 2

09/05/2017 14:23:13
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 09/05/2017 13:30:34:

Robert Maxwell had a yacht...

Neil

I bet he didn't make his handrails on a Warco smile p

09/05/2017 09:54:37
Posted by Robbo on 08/05/2017 21:25:26:

It makes me feel physically sick to see this and know that children around the World are dying of malnutrition.

Children around the world aren't dying of malnutrition because Mr Mordashov has a big boat.

Children around the world are dying of malnutrition for many reasons.

Children around the world are dying of malnutrition because the circumstances they are born into cannot support them.

Children around the world are dying of malnutrition because there are 7+ billion people on the planet and it cannot support them.

It is cruel, but it is nature's way of finding a balance.

Thread: High Speed Steel?
08/05/2017 21:05:24

Also look for HSS drill blanks. You'll have to look for long series if you need 8" length.

Thread: Rusty lathe for sale
06/05/2017 02:04:49
Posted by Bazyle on 06/05/2017 00:32:15:

As some of you were disappointed not to get the Myford here is a nice Boxford, note dry stored. laugh

Another boat anchor! sad.

Thread: Myford Backplate
05/05/2017 21:16:51

Your cross slide gibs are worn?

Thread: Warco WM280V Metric or Imperial
04/05/2017 13:56:34

Christ, you must have strong walls! wink 2.

Thread: Thread size
04/05/2017 13:54:07

Is it a British carb, or European?

BSF has a 22 tpi form, it may well be a special thread cut to a BSF form.

Can you see if it is a 55 deg or 60 deg thread form?

Thread: warco lathes.
27/04/2017 20:06:03

Tony

If it is down to the Axminster, and then the only decision is 1ph or 3ph, given that you already have 3ph so no additional cost for phase conversion, it's a no brainer - go for the 3ph, it will be a much nicer machine (particularly as it will give you an extra 8 speeds).

Thread: C. H. Joyce Drill Press
27/04/2017 18:03:28
Posted by Colin Osborne on 27/04/2017 16:23:13:

Hi Larry, my cage is rattle proof!! I'm too old in the tooth to let things bother me.face 13

Snap! wink.

27/04/2017 09:18:08
Tony

How far can the budget stretch? Boxford can still sell you a brand new, British made machine:

And if money were absolutely no issue, I would park one of these in my workshop:

Edited By David Standing 1 on 27/04/2017 09:27:31

26/04/2017 20:43:31
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 26/04/2017 20:22:19:
Posted by David Standing 1 on 26/04/2017 20:07:19:

By the way, have we heard again from Gareth, who posted the original post?! devil.

We heard that he had seen the light, and bought a Denford Viceroy:

**LINK**

http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/memberpostings.asp?c=144897

MichaelG.

Hurrah!

Then this thread has at least achieved its original objective! thumbs up

26/04/2017 20:07:19

By the way, have we heard again from Gareth, who posted the original post?! devil.

26/04/2017 20:05:56
Posted by fivethou hammer on 26/04/2017 19:59:56:

Can they fix lathes then...? 'Come and join us'........

Poor Anthony has put a quite legitimate post on here and has taken a lot of bashing for it. He is not an experienced model engineer neither is he competent in the black art of electrickery. I fully understand that he would be screaming blue murder about his deep fried lathe having spent a substantial sum on it in the first place. Whatever the rights or wrongs of his use of the machine, or Warco's apparent intransigence in dealing with this matter, I feel for the chap.

Warco in selling modelling machinery to the amateur tyro will have plenty of experience in dealing with, shall we say the newby latheist, and would be quite right to have trading conditions that they will wish to adhere to. The compromise here has been made by the supplier who has blindly agreed to refund the cost of the machine without having inspected it. Good for Warco in the final analysis. I can see both sides to this story and can also see that a forensic examination of the lathe by the supplier would be cost prohibitive.

I couldn't help but also notice that in the early days of this thread, a good proportion of the Warco lathe owners reported machine malfunctions or what they call minor niggles. I wouldn't expect this at all and if the proud owner is able to fix these minor problems, it should be the case that he shouldn't have to.

No-one is a winner in this matter, but it might be a lesson that those who buy cheap, buy twice. I am by no means a rich man and can see the attraction of buying a machine that on the face of it does exactly the same job as an expensive one at half the price. I wish Anthony all the best for his future in this hobby and hope that whatever machine he settles on, he will get satisfaction from it. When I see something like this, I am very happy that I didn't buy this lathe.

Gary

Well done Gary, a sensible post.

They have been a bit lacking in about the last three pages! sad.

Thread: C. H. Joyce Drill Press
26/04/2017 20:02:54
Posted by larry Phelan on 26/04/2017 19:51:27:

Why would anyone bother with things like this when you can buy a good drill for so little?

Because it looks nice, and modern ones don't; and because there is satisfaction in getting old machines rescued from potential scrap, and working again.

That's why I have an old Centec mill and Progress drill lurking in my workshop waiting for me bringing them back to life again...........

Thread: Help a noob
26/04/2017 19:59:10

The first two questions are always - what do you want to achieve from the machine, and what is your budget.

These will help lead to your answer.

26/04/2017 18:24:24

Tony can't reply right now, he's on the phone to the Samaritans wink 2.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
Meridienne; London MES
cowbells
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest