By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David Standing 1

Here is a list of all the postings David Standing 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Milling and drilling slate
18/01/2019 17:35:59

Having roofed a building with slate, the traditional way to put holes in slate (certainly that thickness) is to punch them. Seriously.

As to cutting them to size, one way is as Jason says, with something like a small sharp hatchet, or a bill hook (the straight part) etc, or these:

**LINK**

Thread: SENSITIVE DRILLING
18/01/2019 12:47:34

This isn't supposed to be sarcastic, only positive - ARC are extremely helpful, would not a call to them asking the process required be the easiest thing?

I can understand why you may not want to call them, I wouldn't either - but it may be the right thing - from the horse's mouth, etc smiley

Edited By David Standing 1 on 18/01/2019 12:48:42

Thread: Turning aluminium with carbide inserts
17/01/2019 12:01:50
Posted by Ross Lloyd 1 on 17/01/2019 10:49:46:
Posted by David Standing 1 on 17/01/2019 10:32:38:

Another quick answer, use uncoated tips.

Thanks Dave, do you mean uncoated carbide? Thanks!

Ross

Ross

I meant uncoated inserts, but this is probably clear now from subsequent posts from others smiley

Thread: Hobby lathe
17/01/2019 10:35:14
Posted by Keith Long 1 on 17/01/2019 09:20:34:

Any ideas

Keith

Do a search for the other 10,000 posts on the same subject? smiley

Thread: Turning aluminium with carbide inserts
17/01/2019 10:32:38

Another quick answer, use uncoated tips.

Thread: New Bandsaw Gloat
16/01/2019 19:13:59
Posted by Adrian 2 on 16/01/2019 18:51:24:

How noisy is it? Can you liken the sound to something?

Regards Adrian.

A bandsaw? laugh

Thread: lathe to cut 26tpi
16/01/2019 18:19:58
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 16/01/2019 15:51:34:

Found this in a blog about Bicycle threads on the Park Tool Website:

The bicycle industry has a long history of using many different thread standards. Both factional and metric sizes are in use. Some threads are also used almost exclusively in the bicycle industry. Below is a table of some of the threads and their uses. This table is not intended to be complete and exhaustive. Always measure diameter and pitch when possible to determine threading.

Nominal Thread Size

Example of Bicycle Uses

2.2mm x 56 tpi

Common 2mm spoke threading

3mm x 0.5mm

Dropout adjustment screws, some derailleur hardware, accessory hardware

4mm x 0.7mm

Some derailleur limit screws (DIN standard)

4mm x 0.75mm

Common derailleur limit screw (JIS standard)

5mm x 0.8mm

Many uses on bicycles, including derailleur wire pinch bolts/nuts, disc rotor mounting bolts, fender and racks mounts, water bottle cage bolts, and others

6mm x 1mm

Many uses on bicycles, including brake caliper mounting bolts, brake pad bolts/nuts, some fender racks, some brake adjusting barrels

7mm x 1mm

Some handlebar binder bolts

5/16 inch x 24 tpi

Front hubs, solid axle, less expensive bikes

8mm x 1mm

Square-type crank bolts, front solid axle hubs, suspension system hardware

8mm x 1.25mm

Stem hardware, stud type crank nuts, suspension hardware

8mm x 0.75mm

Chainring bolt

9mm x 1mm

Front hubs, quick release, Asian manufacturer

9mm x 26 tpi

Front hubs, Campagnolo®

3/8 inch x 24 tpi

Some solid axle bike, including coaster brake

3/8 inch x 26 tpi

Solid rear axle

10mm x 1mm

Most quick release rear axles, derailleur mounting bolts, brake lever adjusting barrels

10mm x 26 tpi

Rear axle, quick release, Campganolo®

12mm x 1mm

Some spline crankset bolts

1/2 inch x 20 tpi

Pedal threads, one-piece cranks

9/16 inch x 20 tpi

Pedal threads- common three piece cranks

14mm x 1mm

Oversized frestyle axles

15mm x 1mm

Crank bolt, Octalink® and ISIS Drive®

1-inch x 24 tpi

Threaded headsets, one-inch standard

1-1/8 inch x 26 tpi

Thread headset, 1-1/8 inch standard

1-1/4 inch x 26 tpi

Thread headset, 1-1/4 inch standard

1.37 inch x 24 tpi

Bottom brackets, ISO/English/BSC, and threaded freewheel hubs

1-3/8 inch x 26 tpi

Bottom brackets, older “Raleigh” three speeds

36mm x 24 tpi

“Italian” threaded bottom brackets

47mm x 1mm

T47 threaded bottom brackets

From the variety in the table it seems that bike repairers need a metric lathe than can also do 24tpi, 26tpi and 56tpi. It's another shambles!

Dave

PS Sorry about the formatting!

Edited By

And time to feel smug - my metric Boxford 330 will do every single thread listed above, including 24, 26 and 56 tpi.

As a coincidence, I rebuild old steel framed pushbikes!

16/01/2019 18:11:29
Posted by Bazyle on 16/01/2019 14:37:22:

Given that 26 tpi, as per the op's need, is fairly common worldwide even in metric countries, it is a pretty poor show that it is not one of the standard threads the lathe designer/specifier listed as a mandatory feature. It shows how the manufacturers and procurement departments are totally divorced from any real life use of their product.

If there are lathes being built in this country I wonder if any of the staff are model engineers, member of ME clubs, subscribers, and readers of this forum. Having raised the question of the build location wouldn't it be nice if someone came on here this evening to say he has spent the day grinding lathe beds in the UK..
Apart from JS coming on here occasionally to say he made the collet blocks for Arc we never hear from UK manufacturers of anything. I haven't been able to report such myself for about 20 years and not even sourced UK built product for 15.

As said above, my 'British made' Boxford 330 lists 26 tpi as a thread it will cut with just one change wheel substitution.

16/01/2019 13:31:30
Posted by JasonB on 16/01/2019 13:18:43:

Posted by Michael Gilligan on 16/01/2019 13:07:41:

.......................I am interested to know how it comes that neither Myford nor Cowells has successfully challenged this statement.

May just be that it would cost either of the smaller companies too much to challenge Boxford. Also they are generally selling into two different markets so not worth it for probably less than one sale a year that could be lost or gained.

Probably better for Myford and Cowells to keep a low profile as if it went to court there may be questions asked about why they can sell with unprotected leadscrews when Boxford and far eastern imports have to comply and cover them up. It would certainly stop them being able to sell into Boxfords market.

Edited By JasonB on 16/01/2019 13:22:29

Jason

You are probably aware that for many years Boxford have primarily focused on the education market, which is why safety compliance is very high on their list of priorities.

As a sad by product of this, it is why I managed to get my virtually unused 330 for peanuts - it came out of an education establishment that, like so many others, was closing its engineering department. My 330 had sat in the corner, unloved, until bought back by the service technician that had installed it a number of years earlier.

16/01/2019 13:27:07

Back on track, my geared head Boxford 330 will happily cut 26 tpi with just one change wheel substitution in the gear train.

I know I champion these at regular intervals, but the X10 series Boxfords (330, 280, 10.20, 11.30 etc) are very capable lathes, and can be bought in good condition secondhand for little money, if you keep your eyes open - certainly for a fraction of the new cost.

16/01/2019 13:13:45

As to challenging each others' assertions, I guess none of them have the stomach to get embroiled in a legal battle, with the attendant costs.

16/01/2019 13:12:39
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 16/01/2019 10:09:22:
Posted by David Standing 1 on 16/01/2019 09:25:43:

... there can be a lot of difference between 'made' and 'assembled', with some creative use of the word 'made'!

... and that is essentially what I find 'interesting'

[ neither company admits 'assembled' ]

Comparing the two statements, it is difficult to see how both of them can be true.

MichaelG.

Michael

And now we apparently have three companies claiming the same wink

I might pop out to the workshop later and ask for an official statement from my Boxford and two Myfords teeth 2

Thread: Milling a T slot ??
16/01/2019 09:40:32

Also make sure you use a T slot cutter, not a Woodruff cutter.

Thread: lathe to cut 26tpi
16/01/2019 09:25:43

Michael

Ah, I'm with you now, thank you. I thought for a moment you might have meant Boxford weren't British made, but I don't like to assume.

And yes of course, I should have thought of Myford's advertising blurb.

As NDIY says, there can be a lot of difference between 'made' and 'assembled', with some creative use of the word 'made'!

15/01/2019 21:50:53
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 15/01/2019 20:20:07:

Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 15/01/2019 14:14:07:

... you might buy a new Boxford.

My apologies for drifting off-topic, but I continue to find this assertion [from Dave's linked page] 'interesting'

[quote]

The only manual lathe you can buy which is still truly Made in Britain

[/quote]

dont know MichaelG.

Go on Michael, I'll bite wink

15/01/2019 20:07:11
Posted by vintage engineer on 15/01/2019 19:33:18:

£8900 + vat for a new Boxford and they put cheap crappy hand wheels on the machine!

. As buying secondhand is always risky you might buy a new Boxford.

Perhaps Boxford spent the money on the important bits wink

Thread: Harrison L5 chuck datum
15/01/2019 17:39:12

When you say it has 'always been the same', do you mean it has always had the run out?

Before you take the backplate off, don't forget to dot mark which hole in the backplate lines up with which hole in the chuck.

14/01/2019 22:26:59

More info required.

Is the lathe new to you?

Is the lathe not new to you and it has just started showing runout?

Are all mating faces scrupulously clean?

Thread: Chinese postal charges
11/01/2019 09:18:51

Posted by JasonB on 11/01/2019 07:36:59:

Well how else would Ketan be able to see the question, and maybe you missed the pun about a post card and postal charges?

Despite him saying to me before he left that he may not be able to WhatsApp me from China which is his preferred method of communication he has managed to sneak out some video of ARC's secret testing of the new UVEX safety wear that they are now stocking buy walking the length of the great wall, looks a long way to the Sieg factory! This was the only still I could get from his video as the rest of the time his leg was shaking too much doing Elvis impressions.

He also asked me to urge you to take advantage of the large amount of stock that has now been reduced and listed under Clearance Items on ARC's site. This is to make way for all the goodies he can manage to sneak through customs in his large suitcase when he returns - if you can't beat them join themsmile p

teeth 2 teeth 2 teeth 2

Edited By David Standing 1 on 11/01/2019 09:19:42

10/01/2019 20:25:23

Where is Ketan? He will know the correct answer to this yes

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest