By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nick Hulme

Here is a list of all the postings Nick Hulme has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Another Workshop lighting problem
05/06/2019 19:06:11

I had double fluorescent tubes fittings throughout my garage and singles in my workshop, the LED replacement tubes give better working light than the fluorescents ever did.
I chose LED replacement tubes and rewiring the fittings to eliminate the ballasts, part of my reasoning for this route is that the parts which will eventually fail are an easy user replacement, whereas dedicated LED fittings commonly require replacement of the full lighting unit when they fail.

Thread: Stepper rating for Triac upgrade?
31/05/2019 22:10:18

Servo.

Thread: Denford Triac - Remove Easy Change Holder?
31/05/2019 22:09:17

It's a shame it wasn't a useful native taper

Thread: Just for the Record
31/05/2019 22:01:51

I have the Record powered milling column for one of those but no mounting bracket, I used to use it as a cross slide milling attachment on my Myford, it's well made.

Thread: Use a router for a mortice lock
31/05/2019 21:44:25

Even with clamped wood support plates the door fitters said drilling can split the surface veneer of engineered timber doors, regardless of whether spiral or spade wood bits are used, I suggested all this as I have that equipment too

31/05/2019 20:03:48

To achieve a period look I routed the apertures for mortise locks (Key centre 3" from edge) and latches (handle centre 6" from edge) for 7 internal doors with a router.
I couldn't find cutters long enough for my 1/2" bit router so I bought one 1/2" shank bit and 2 1/4" bits, turned extension bars on the lathe and bonded the 1/4" shank cutters into the extensions with a locking spot weld for good measure.
The company fitting the doors had suggested using roller latches as their fitters didn't have the means to fit latches this deep in the engineered timber doors which they supplied so I did the job while they hung the doors. 

Cost me the cutters and some lathe time :D 

madecutters.jpg

periodlooklocks.jpg

Edited By Nick Hulme on 31/05/2019 20:05:17

Thread: Feeds and Speeds! 0.4mm milling cutters...
29/05/2019 20:07:18

Cutter geometry is required for calculation, if it's 2mm flute length on a 1/8 shank that may not be wide of the mark, it's always a plan to start with 50% of the suggested feed rate as all guides will assume that everything about your machine is ideal for the job.

Thread: Early metal lathes
29/05/2019 19:57:46
Posted by Nicholas Wheeler 1 on 27/05/2019 18:41:59: until you're worthy of preserving a Myford for the next generation.

Done that, it's a 1950s long bed with 30.5mm through capacity headstock and roller bearings :D

I enjoy learning, progressing and achieving, those who don't and instead enjoy repetition of the past, with a given level of technology of their choosing are no less worthy in their enjoyment of that, it's just that some of them seem to think there is a misguided "Purity" in not using newer technology when engineers of the past were all about using the newest technology available, or indeed developing it themselves :D

Thread: Self starting small steam engines
29/05/2019 18:52:40

There are single direction bearings which lock when driving, but turn freely when driven, commonly used for auto-rotate systems in RC helicopters.

Thread: ARC Euro Trade Promo Code
29/05/2019 18:36:44
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 29/05/2019 17:13:09:

I just 'saved' £7 (feels better than admitting I blew £43...)

Neil

Neil,
Surely you can now spend the £7 you saved on something else? :D

Thread: Ballscrews?
29/05/2019 10:18:40
Posted by Bear G 1 on 28/05/2019 20:35:48:

Hi, looking for advice on ballscrews. I have to make a scissor lift but it has to be screw driven. Can anyone advise me what I should look for/at when buying one? I knopw there are two different types of nut but there seems to be no obvious way of telling which is the stronger?

Bear

Step 1 is not to buy a cheap Chinese screw and nut for an application like this, then you can ask the supplier/manufacturer for something with specifications which meet your needs.

Thread: Oh Dear, I've blown the chop saw...
23/05/2019 20:17:07

Using power tools on a spur or extension that results in voltage drop at the too can significantly shorten motor life.

Thread: Upside down reverse threading
23/05/2019 13:15:47

Drill bit shanks are left soft specifically to give drill chucks reasonable purchase, milling cutters have hard shanks with a good surface finish, ideal for slipping in an inadequate holder and for encouraging the unwary to apply far too much tightening torque to said inadequate holder in an attempt to make it hold

As an aside, if tools are slipping in your ER Collets you are not following the correct procedures for using them :D

Thread: Myford Super 7 - Cross Slide Problem
22/05/2019 12:51:05
Posted by Alex Twigg on 21/05/2019 22:47:25:
The video shows the issue. The cross slide has play in it. It's not backlash, it's a physical movement of the Y axis of the cross slide. The carrier and the bed are solid, but then the leadscrew for that axis moves loads.

That is backlash, that the gib strips aren't tight enough to stop you moving the slide by hand doesn't change the fact that it's slack in the axis drive system.
Strip it, clean it, lube it and assemble it and adjust it correctly and check it again.

22/05/2019 12:44:19
Posted by roy entwistle on 22/05/2019 09:30:04:

Hopper I think you'll find that the kit you refer to is only for the ML7 not the Super 7

Roy

It's easily done on a Super 7 if you visit and talk to your local engineering bearing supplier.

Thread: Cutting a worm?
21/05/2019 16:10:46
Posted by Ian S C on 21/05/2019 13:25:37:

With the two shafts geared together 99 to 100, then coupled together with the gear via the two worms I would guess that before one revolution it will jamb up. Shouldn't the gear ratio be 1:1?

Ian S C

The gear is mounted on a moving chassis and is what moves and "pulls".

If it pulls with any force what stops the two threaded rods bending apart? It will need some bearing supports, at least at the mid points, to prevent 6mm rod from bending.

Thread: indexible internal thread cutting tool
19/05/2019 22:11:57

Are you using the manufacturer's recommended speeds for the tool, or if not provided those from a similar tool from a big player?

Thread: Work Holding For CNC Milling
18/05/2019 08:45:22

I usually fixtures in the same CAD/CAM file as the part, just in a different layer, it's easy to create a fixture in the same file as the work piece using the same co-ordinate system and so knowing exactly where everything is.

Thread: Upside down reverse threading
18/05/2019 08:26:58
Posted by Jon on 14/05/2019 22:29:24:

How do you honestly think these can be done by hand as one offs and beat cnc in china on price. Again drill chuck done well in excess of 1900 in 26 years, no cutters drop or chuck dropping out, materials 18mm thick.

Nice job!
I'm interested on the "Beat China on Price" bit though, what hourly rate did you base that calculation on?

18/05/2019 08:23:31
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 13/05/2019 20:41:45:

Perhaps your chuck is jammed, it's a well known Myford problem... devil

Incorrect guess, guess again, it's what you're good at

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest