By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nick Hulme

Here is a list of all the postings Nick Hulme has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Is CNC cheating
03/09/2016 20:17:29
Posted by Bob Stevenson on 03/09/2016 16:31:44:

The "punters" is a key word in this matter.......

CNC "cheats" nobody out of anything....That's the good news! The problem is that in the eyes of the general public,...ie the "punters" any automation by computer completely nullifies any skills that may have been used.

....If ANY part of your project was CNC'd then you have given away any right to the respect of craftsmanship!....fact!

ROFLMAO!

Thread: Repairing a mouse
03/09/2016 12:20:37

Doesn't the IPA get sticky when it dries?

Thread: Is CNC cheating
03/09/2016 12:16:41

The problem with attitudes to CNC is that those who don't use it cannot understand the time and effort which goes into learning all the skills one needs to "automatically" make parts, or the work required in CAM to generate tool paths which do exactly what you wish them to do.

I think that a manual machinist who is sniffy about CNC (as once I was) should learn CAD, CAM and CNC Operation to the point where they are competent enough to generate tool paths for complex parts and only then cast aspersions at those who have climbed this particular set of quite steep learning curves.

- Nick

Thread: Thread Milling
02/09/2016 22:42:11

Having read this I'm thanking the powers that be that my CAM just works :D

- Nick

Thread: Windows 10 forced upgrade
02/09/2016 22:23:07
Posted by richard 2 on 30/07/2016 08:04:54:

For goodness sake get rid of Windows OS and use Linux.

I have for over thirty years and have NEVER had any problem.

Richard.

What CAD/CAM do you use?

I've not found a good multi-axis CAM package for Linux yet.

- Nick

Thread: FLORID SCRIPT
02/09/2016 22:06:57
Posted by John Hinkley on 02/09/2016 08:32:24:

Pretty darn close, I'd say. Just a smidgen of Photoshopping and away you go. [It's "Shelley AllegroBT", by the way.]

John

That would do fine if you're not trying to reproduce the original, if you were then there are so many fairly obvious differences that it would be more work to modify the font that's "almost right" than to create new artwork from a good scan of the original.

- Nick

Thread: Coventry die head question
31/08/2016 21:43:04
Posted by hth on 18/08/2016 09:59:51:

The manual explains that the teeth only guide the dies , they behave like a nut, the actual cutting is done by the angled section before the teeth .

Definitely two teeth short of a Die Set

Thread: Windows 10...more worries so listen...
31/08/2016 09:36:41
Posted by Vic on 01/06/2016 16:24:27:

I'm still intrigued as to why Microsoft have given it away for a year. I know they've lost billions in revenue in the past for both their OS and MS Office but why give it away now? It's rumoured to be between 79 and 99 pounds or dollars I believe after July?

They know if they get people onto the new software distribution model they've got customers (and revenue stream) for life.

Additionally some things which were in with Windows no longer are, Media Centre, DVD Player, probably other stuff, you either have to find something to do the job which W10 will run or visit the Windows app store and buy (Rent?) something to regain the functionality you had prior to "Upgrading"

- Nick

Thread: Thinking aloud... reduce diameter of glass filter
29/08/2016 14:05:58
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 27/08/2016 16:20:17:I have some of my own beeswax I have been minding for many years.

Nice One!

Thread: One Man and His Lathe Articles Sought
22/08/2016 09:41:11

I have a long bed Super 7 with a 30.5mm through capacity and native ER40 spindle nose

- Nick

Thread: Dead Sino DRO
11/11/2015 11:08:58

Allendale Electronics /Machine DRO can supply replacement PSUs for the SINO DRO units

- Nick

03/11/2015 22:07:49

Take the cover off the PSU and check the electrolytic capacators, if the top is split or even just bulged it's probably toast.

I just repaired a dead SINO DRO with £0.85 worth of replacement capacators from Maplin

Regards,

Nick

Thread: Insulated Garage Doors
08/08/2015 15:58:51

I filled in the back of my up & over door with 2" insulation foam bonded in place with building foam, all gaps, voids & corners then filled with building foam and trimmed flush. Brush draught strip sides & bottom with rubber draught strip at the top.

The garage now requires just a small fan heater on thermostatic setting for comfortable working on very cold days, the door is much stiffer, noise reduction was an unexpected bonus, you used to be able to hear my radio 25 yards away at the top of the drive, now you can't hear it with your ear against the garage door.

- Nick

Thread: Mach 3 DRO question
22/06/2015 20:25:29
Posted by Les Jones 1 on 11/06/2014 09:29:42:

Hi Richard,
I do not know know anything about Mach 3 software or how it gets its position feedback information.

It doesn't, Mach3 depends upon the stepper system being correctly set up and not losing steps, there is no feedback.

You can use inputs and scales to display positional data in Mach3 DROs (not the active ones under progrm control) but the software will not reference the data in real time or use it for positional correction

Thread: EMCO FB2 vertical Milling Machine
29/04/2015 16:52:15

Emco FB-2 -

http://static.webshopapp.com/shops/036767/files/015177803/emco-fb2-milling-head-attachment.jpg

Remove the 4 top cover fasteners, remove the bolts on the inside which retain the motor and then drill the right holes to fit a flange mount alternative or even drill & tap a non flange mount front cover and bolt that on.

The FB-2 is a 6 speed head, the earlier 4 speed milling heads (MM1?) appear to have the motor front/gearbox top as an integrated casting -

http://www.lathes.co.uk/emcomiller/

I'm only referring to the FB-2.

- Nick

29/04/2015 13:45:37

The FB-2 motor is bolted to the top cover of the gearbox, it's a small diameter motor frame for it's power output but that's all that's wierd about it, it's spindle has a standard nose for it's shaft size, I just machined my new motor's spindle nose to match in size and screwed the parts on.
When I added the spacer ring I needed longer clamping bolts so I ordered good quality high tensile bolts, machined the heads to fit the circular groove in the column section, trammed the head and torqued them up good and proper. The spacer plate is a stepped ring to mate exactly with the front & rear sections of the head, the rear joint was a firm fit and is bonded in place , there's no sign of any movement at all.

If you were to go with slightly less power than I did then frame size wouldn't be an issue and the motor could easily be replaced. After all, it's just a motor and "Where There's An Engineer There's A Way", conversely I suppose "Where There's No Engineer There's No Way"

- Nick

29/04/2015 10:30:41

I've fitted a 4 pole compact frame 0.55kW motor and 240V Omron inverter to my FB-2 head,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wpthacbocfp2xx3/PICT1546.JPG?dl=0

The standard motor shaft was a size smaller so I stripped the new motor and re-machined the shaft nose in the lathe.

The flywheel, primary drive gear and gearbox oil lift screw all attach to the shaft via the internal thread in the motor shaft nose.

The plastic gearbox oil lift screw shaft is easily broken if the motor isn't carefully lifted out vertically but it's also easily repaired with a section of speedo cable inner and epoxy if you do break it and once you repair it this way it's no longer sensitive to handling or alignment.

Measure your proposed motor carefully, even the compact frame motor I used required a spacer ring to move the mill head 8mm further out from the column, I could have removed a couple of fins and slotted the fan cover but I fancied the additional 8mm throat.

- Nick

Edited By Nick Hulme on 29/04/2015 10:31:38

Edited By Nick Hulme on 29/04/2015 10:32:32

Edited By Nick Hulme on 29/04/2015 10:32:50

Thread: electric motor for the quorn.
28/12/2014 17:45:05

How cheap is cheaper? If you gave price, rough dimensions, power output and speed it would be a big help.

I'm using a (new) 0.18 Kw 3 phase motor and (ebay) VFD (for my engraving cutter grinder) that cost me £110 in total, how cheap do you need the solution to be?

Thread: Gauge Blocks
28/12/2014 17:15:39
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 31/10/2014 10:05:57:

So why does Starrett recommend wiping the mating surfaces with a cloth impregnated with a light machine oil, wiping the excess oil off with a second cloth, and the wringing the blocks together?

Andrew

It ensures the surfaces are free of dirt, you could use water but it would promote corrosion, you could use a degreaser but that would remove any surface corrosion protection.

The assumption that the presence of oil will affect dimensions is bunk, if the metal has close enough contact to "wring" it will do so, if something is preventing intimate contact it will not "wring"

I spent an entire Summer Holiday calibrating micrometers to ISO 9002 for IMI Leeds

Thread: How close does a thread pitch need to be?
28/12/2014 17:02:44

The reverse should be possible.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
cowells
Warco
emcomachinetools
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest