By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nick Hulme

Here is a list of all the postings Nick Hulme has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Travelling Steady
03/08/2019 09:01:56

You can make soft tips for softer materials, try Nylon or Delrin tips.

Thread: Floor Paint
02/08/2019 12:29:24

Water based hasn't yet matched the durability of solvent or polymer based, when it does you'll know, you'll no longer have to clean bird poop off your new car ASAP lest it strip the paint! :D

Thread: Toyo MD-1 mini drill - drive belts needed
29/07/2019 16:58:55
Posted by Manfred Baer on 22/07/2019 21:06:18:

Brian, Rik,

Thanks for your support. Since having some experience with PU belting on spinning wheels (wife) my first choice would be a seamless o-ring. I found that it is quite a task to achieve a (more or less) true running PU joint even for a low rev application like a spinning wheel.

Manfred

Use V blocks and a straight edge, works perfectly every time for round PU belting and also for bonding O rings from cord.

Thread: Gibraltar Toolpost
22/07/2019 19:21:40

I have a Long Bed Super 7 and can take deep, accurate cuts on 30mm OD 304 stainless steel without need for a special tool post.
This leads me to think that the short bed Myford 7 lathes have a level of bed flexibility that require solutions not required for the Long Bed.

Thread: Wiggler or edge finder?
19/07/2019 21:51:30

Both, plus a decent 3D tester, they all excel in different ways.

Thread: Finally sort of know which lathe to buy, but?
19/07/2019 21:49:08

If you want significantly more rigidity look for a long bed Super 7b, the bed casting is deeper and heavier and there is nothing fragile about it.

But as a Myford owner I suggest you look for something of a later design with hardened prismatic ways, a gear head and a separate feed drive from the lead screw.

19/07/2019 17:35:26

A lot of new and re-manufactured small parts are available for repair & maintenance.

Must haves - 3 jaw chuck, 4 jaw chuck, face plate, and some basic turning tools suitable for the work you actually intend to start out with .For the tailstock a revolving centre and a chuck, beyond that buy it as you need it

A gearbox is great for the advertised set of pitches, beyond that you have to mess with change gears anyway, I cut such an oddball variety of metric and imperial threads I'm glad I didn't spend an extra £500 or so on a gearbox

You need about a foot clear at the tailstock end for when you need to take the tailstock off, at the headstock end you need enough space to open the door on the gear cluster and/or to accommodate the length of material you need to have through the headstock, around 8" as a minimum.

Edited By Nick Hulme on 19/07/2019 17:35:53

Thread: Myford Change Gear trouble
16/07/2019 17:16:14

Yes, add spacers, or skim the quadrant to align correctly.

Thread: Inverter Remote Stop button.
14/07/2019 11:18:15
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 19/02/2014 11:25:19:

There are four ways of 'stopping' an inverter powered motor.

1 An e-stop button before the inverter. This makes the motor coast to a stop and kills all power. It can damage the inverter, but is 100% guareanteed to cut all power.

2 Use the coast to stop function of the inverter. This works exactly as an e-stop but leave the inverter live. It can be wired to work from a 'break' switch so existing e-stop buttons can be used as well as limit switches etc. I have impemented this and it works. The stop is very sudden with my setup.

3 Fit a resistive brake to the inverter. This will more or less short the motor and it will stop dead. This is MUCH faster than with an e-stop, especially for machines with a lot of rotational inertia. It will leave the inverter itself live. This can be wired to be operated by e-stop and limit switches. I have not implemented this.

4 Use normal soft-stop buttons. This causes the motor to slow down gently to a stop over a preset period.

My approach is to use 4 for normal working as gentle stop/start helps avoid motor overheating and is less fraught. I use approach 2 for e-stop as it is very fast with my machine. The cautious would take approach 1 and in indiustry i'm sure they would use number 4 - active braking - to get the fastest stop possible.

Neil

Don't forget DC Injection Braking, an option available on many good drives which although not as fast as using a braking resistor is still quick enough to require positive retention on screw-on chucks to ensure they don't go on safari

Thread: broken myford changewheel
29/06/2019 20:29:07

Drill a well placed hole and open it out & square it up with a file - hey presto - keyway!

Thread: Wobbly slitting saws
29/06/2019 11:35:53

Buy cheap, buy twice (or more)
Or true them up and make a new arbour.

Thread: Using a lathe
28/06/2019 20:11:07

In industry, education, or private? The answer will be different for each and will prove irrelevant here :D

Thread: Solid carbide end mills
24/06/2019 18:22:55

Check manufacturer's recommended speeds, if you can't achieve them you will just abrade your endmill.
I've used 0.6mm carbide endmills but at 30000rpm and could probably have used a bit more speed.

Thread: Toyo ML210 Milling Attachment Help Needed
23/06/2019 21:25:28
Posted by Bizibilder on 23/06/2019 16:37:52:

Another link Here to an old forum archive claims that it uses ER16 collets.

Edited By Bizibilder on 23/06/2019 16:38:32

Yeah, I wish!
I have the milling attachment with 6mm, 8mm and 10mm collets, they don't match my ER collets.

Thread: Mill DRO - How many axis?
23/06/2019 21:23:13

If you go 2 axis leave room to upgrade, you'll probably want to as it's common sense to have three and straightforward penny pinching not to.

Thread: Using a Metal Cutting Disc on the SX2 Mill
23/06/2019 21:18:41

I use 100mm carbide tipped circular saw blades for cutoff in the mill.

Thread: combined BOB with drivers or seperate?
22/06/2019 14:38:38
Posted by fizzy on 14/03/2019 20:01:43:

Im also wondering if the new boards will run with windows 7 64bit.

Mach3 runs fine and only has an issue with the Parallel Port in 64bit

Thread: Chinese tacho - beware
22/06/2019 14:32:15

The stuff you buy from China which is crap is that way for a reason, it's because you're cheap! :D

Thread: Myford Super 7 and ER40 collet chuck
22/06/2019 14:28:25

I went with ER40 because it gives me up to 32mm with extended range collets :D

Thread: Carbide inserts tool holders.
22/06/2019 14:25:12
Posted by Hollowpoint on 16/06/2019 23:43:12:

You could try annealing them. Heat them up and let them cool as slowly as possible.

That's how you harden many of the better Tool Steels :D

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Meridienne Sept 2019
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Advertise With Us
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest