By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Capstan Speaking

Here is a list of all the postings Capstan Speaking has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: drilling in spring steel
08/03/2015 12:05:54

Posted by IanT on 08/03/2015 10:05:35:

Apparently the intense local heat generated anneals the area enough for it to be drilled with "normal" drills. Don't see why it wouldn't work with thinner hard materials too.

IanT

If you heat spring steel it won't be springy at that point any more.

Perhaps it might "dremel" out?

Thread: Keeeping Machines Clean, New idea or Old?
08/03/2015 11:51:31

Lots of valid points. If you look after your kit it will look after you. A good craftsman will keep his space to the same standard as his work.

Everyone who has a choice sets their own standard but it's not a showroom or a pig sty.

08/03/2015 08:39:13

A benefit of an occasionally grubby machine is that you have evidence to show the misses for why you spent all that money.

Plus it discourages her from trespassing in the mancave. Bonus number two. wink

07/03/2015 21:29:09

Ok if your swarf is cold. However a long swarf trail might snag it and drag it in. Nasty.

Eee wen I wurr a lad we ad ta clean down for the next shift every time. wink

Thread: drilling in spring steel
07/03/2015 21:20:39

The machine is more than fast enough for heat treated spring steel even at that diameter. You might want some suds but not oil as spring steel is prone to glazing, a form of work hardening the surface.

How does a person guess the load? A kilo?

Thread: Taylor Hobson cutter grinder.
06/03/2015 19:31:11

An accessory for sharpening engraver tips for one of their pantograph machines smiley

Thread: Tailstock ate my spindle
06/03/2015 19:20:32

Is it the screw or the quill that goes tight?

A misaligned or damaged clamp cam or tenon ?

Can you remove the handle and slide the quill out?

Thread: Brushed or brushless?
06/03/2015 10:56:57

Brushless motors are synchronous and brushed are not.

Frequency speed control is superior to pulse width modulation but as a hobbyist you'll get the job done either way.

I wouldn't base a purchasing decision on such a minor refinement alone.

Thread: How to? Help
04/03/2015 20:04:05
Posted by pgk pgk on 04/03/2015 19:28:17:

..and if you don't have a boring head or reamer and have to buy stuff then buy a reduced shank 26mm drill bit

Actually another way to do it that was demonstarted by toms techniques was to regrind a fly cutter to act as a boring bar. My smallest flycutter is 1 in diameter - so j..u..s..t doable. Or make a smaller flycutter or a one-off boring tool.

Seconded. Without the proper kit, a 12mm bar with a cross-hole, tool bit and a pinch screw. Clumsy, tricky but cheap and simple. It's no jig borer but it could be decent with care.

Thread: Pounds/foot (and other nonsense) MEW 226
02/03/2015 17:58:49
Posted by Harold Hall 1 on 02/03/2015 15:28:40:

I am sorry Capstan but I was happy to be told I had got them the wrong way round but cannot accept that both torque and power have the same term for the unit of measure.

If I were to tell you that the result of experiment was 15 pound-feet can you tell me what that answer means?

Surely torque and power need differing units of measure, that is the way I was always taught, still it was a very long time ago.

Harold

Edited By Harold Hall 1 on 02/03/2015 15:31:08

You missed the "per minute," chap ;o)
Force (Torque) per time unit is indeed power.

"If I were to tell you that the result of experiment was 15 pound-feet can you tell me what that answer means?"
Without knowing the context I haven't the foggiest. These footpound terms are ridiculously vague.

This is why SI units (of which there are only seven principle ones) were introduced.

02/03/2015 14:52:58
Posted by Harold Hall 1 on 02/03/2015 14:24:35:

Having read Capstan's comments I am confused. For me, foot-pounds relates to Work and pounds-feet to Torque, if I have got it wrong then I will be happy to be told. However, I will have been wrong for a very long time.

Harold

Since it's a multiplication there is absolutely no difference which way it is written or pronounced.

A x B = C and B x A = C so footpounds or poundsfeet are the same.

footpounds is a quantity of force.
footpounds per minute is power.

1 foot pound per minute =0.0225969658 watts

As I said it can also be a unit of energy. It is sometimes written as foot-poundal and can be converted to Joules.

Force, energy and power are the basic principles of mechanics and electrics

Edited By Capstan Speaking on 02/03/2015 14:53:49

02/03/2015 11:02:19

Foot pounds is a measure of force in a radial direction aka torque.

0.5 pound at 2 feet is still 1 footpound. It is a multiplication sum and represents a fixed overall value. It often has a dot between them.
Anything with a division implies a ratio and so cannot be relevant.

Horsepower equaling to ft.lbs/min or torque applied for a period of time is a rate of energy transfer (work done) as is always the way with power.

Now then footpounds is also an old term for a quantity of kinetic energy and is still used accross the pond in relation to ballistics.

One pound travelling at a speed of one foot per second has 1 "foot pound" of kinetic energy.

Have I made it clearer or murkier? ;o)

Thread: Setting bearing preload.
01/03/2015 22:12:12

I used to be a Toolmaker at British Timken (RIP).

Counting turns will vary with the thread pitch. The proper procedure is to measure the static torque via a spring balance on an arm.

The shortcut is to nip it until there is the faintest drag when turning by hand. Lock it there or if you have a castle nut then back off to the first split pin slot.

More sophisticated set-ups may have spring shims.

Thread: Cheap Tools ........ Grrrrrrrr.!!!!!
08/12/2014 17:44:40
Posted by Nick_G on 08/12/2014 00:18:48:

This evening this happened to 'slim body' live center. angry

Well on the positive side you have a new project to make a new spindle wink 2

Silver steel should do nicely. Just harden the tip.

M.

Thread: Stubs or Silver Steel
08/12/2014 12:55:31

It is possible to get 1.5mm dowel pins and below. They are already hardened too.

M.

Thread: Cheap milling machine light
08/12/2014 12:51:10

Machine Mart do a proper "Angle Poise" type lamp for £15 and a magnifier for £20.

**LINK**

Thread: Which chuck to buy for first lathe ?
06/12/2014 19:11:13

Hello folks.

Can I through a little more mud in the water?

I used to use a 4-jaw for holding hot-rolled, forged or cast items to protect the accuracy of a 3-jaw while the rough skin was taken off.

A 3-jaw is for convenience and mounting speed which is far less important in a hobby environment. Also 3-jaws allow for the use of soft jaws which have a myriad of uses in the professional environment.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest