By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Capstan Speaking

Here is a list of all the postings Capstan Speaking has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What did you do today (2015)
04/05/2015 13:33:23

Spent the morning cleaning up my new toy. Scrubbed up well.

It came as a job lot including a huge Herbert indexer laugh

I have some bits from the lot that are surplus to requirements which I'll put in the For Sale section. There are some freebies going too.

My mill

Thread: Whats going on with this drill?
04/05/2015 13:20:59
Posted by Rainbows on 04/05/2015 11:24:41:

It is a good thing I kept that 110v tranformer from that auction lot I got a while back. No idea if that is double or auto though. Its the yellow box type.

That would be perfect. Frequency can't change through one and the difference between UK 50Hz and US 60 HZ won't matter. Some, if not all, of the yellow boxes are CTE or centre tapped for extra safety too.

04/05/2015 08:39:02

*** ?

The mind boggles. Did you hit a swear filter? wink

Thread: rolling aluminium sheet
03/05/2015 22:47:49

It will take a few passes as 100mm dia in 3mm on hand rolls is going some.

Also the sheet or strip material used will have a grain from the manufacturing process so it will be better in one direction than the other.

Edited By Capstan Speaking on 03/05/2015 22:48:11

02/05/2015 17:42:50

Got a mill today. teeth 2

Unknown unbranded job but a bit like a predecessor to a Warco Minor. It's pretty brutal and I ache so much now.

Vices, indexer and loads of goodies.

Now I need to get a large tin of elbow grease and a catering pack of TLC.

Thread: Coventry Gauge Micro Maag
01/05/2015 18:49:16

The quick release allows you to remove it while it is still on size. That way you can take a measurement even when you can't see the scale in situ. Also you can remove it without dragging it across the surface.

I also used to pull it back when screwing a head on so it couldn't jamb on the cone. Go easy with the spanners

Still, whatever works for you is fine.

01/05/2015 10:58:39

HTH is net speak for hope that helps wink

After so many posts it occurs that I may be being rude so it's actually Mark.

..and you're welcome.

01/05/2015 10:50:37

It's a bore mic set. Micro Maags are very good ones though.

The black collar is the quick release to change heads. Each head covers a very narrow range of sizes.

So you have a nice bore, ideally a ground one;

1. Find the head that covers that size.
  2. Wind the thimble all the way out.
  3. Pull back the collar and slide the correct head on and release the collar. Make sure it is retained by the detent.
  4. Fit the head into the bore.
  5. Gradually wind the thimble in while moving the mic slightly to ensure it is centrally located and concentric. The three blades will extend.
  6. Read the thimble just like an ordinary mic.

The other bits are extensions to extend the head for deep holes and a reference setting bore which may have been reground in its time.

"Feel" is important with these.

HTH smiley

Thread: Indexable tips and their use
30/04/2015 20:14:29

How's this?

**LINK**

30/04/2015 12:25:24

T'was a pun that I spun.

Looks like I got away with it. wink

30/04/2015 10:45:52

They had me making hundreds of little plasticine men today.

They said it was character building.

Thread: Threaded ball nosed cutter
30/04/2015 09:26:51

Warco, Chronos or proper engineers' suppliers such as Cromwell or MSC Direct. Google is your friend smiley

29/04/2015 14:54:50

As long as no-one called Gloria has been in it. eww

29/04/2015 14:35:38

Sic transit gloria mundi...

Tuesday is going to be worse.

Thread: A Lathe Bible Book
29/04/2015 11:12:36

While there is an ideal surface speed for a given material and cutting tool, rigidity of workpiece and tool affects Maximum Material Removal Rate too. Cooling is another factor.

A deeper cut requires fewer passes to achieve size so minimises time and wear.

With amateur kit you just do the best it can. Tables are useless. Experience will get you close enough for low volume work.

Thread: What is this used for?
27/04/2015 20:49:27

I don't know the lathe but at a guess it's the spring loaded retainer pin that goes in the gear selector arm.

The oil bath should at least reach the biggest gear which will drip it along to the rest. Not so deep as to slop onto your feet when you drop the selector down. Yes been there done that.

Thread: EN STEELS and their uses
22/04/2015 12:57:31
Posted by jason udall on 22/04/2015 09:49:37:
Do any of the cognoscenti know how to deal with production drawings when quoting for 10k parts year.
Where the material code is "misspelt".
And this spec . Obviously isn't made. BUT the customer can't/won't change the drawing?.
Customer's solution was for us to quote on the material as per and apply for concession on each delivery.

That's a recipe to not get paid.

On the quote add "On the understanding that the supplied material will be grade xxxxxxxx"

When ordered send an acknowledgement "Order accepted subject to the conditions of quote xxxx."

21/04/2015 20:12:43

The EN range of steel specifications was first introduced in 1941 as the War Emergency, British Standard Schedule BS970.

Don't get hung up on the old names. It's now just a turn of phrase like the even older names such as "gunmetal."

Thread: Reading a drawing - Radius
21/04/2015 15:08:44

I've just had a dabble and from that elevation alone it cannot be reconstructed let alone made.

The geometry doesn't match those dimensions either so I expect that having no decimal places is hiding a multitude of sins.

Perhaps it's an initiative test wink

Thread: Tools needed for ...... (boiler)
21/04/2015 14:49:35

Well copper is exceedingly abrasive and will be hard on drills. For a lot of repetitive drilling, carbide might be a good choice. You'll need a green wheel to resharpen them though.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Advertise With Us
Meridienne Sept 2019
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest