By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Capstan Speaking

Here is a list of all the postings Capstan Speaking has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Rust Stain on STONE
16/05/2015 16:30:12
Posted by Muzzer on 16/05/2015 13:32:39:
Posted by Capstan Speaking on 16/05/2015 13:18:49:

Builders' brick acid will do it.

...which is hydrochloric acid, I believe. Or "muriatic" acid as the Mercans like to call it.

Dunno if it works on rust or not myself.

Yeah, I had an old Sky dish rot onto concrete. You couldn't tell afterwards.

16/05/2015 13:18:49

Builders' brick acid will do it.

Thread: SPV Tapping Head
15/05/2015 19:23:07

Just google "tapping head manual" they all work pretty much the same.

Thread: Trephining - Do's and don't. ??
15/05/2015 19:12:16
Posted by Nick_G on 15/05/2015 15:23:24:

I am presuming there is a correct way of doing this in the same way there are things to avoid when parting off for example. So what sort of tool shape is best needed and is there a practical maximum depth that this could reliably achieve.

Nick

Why is there no other word for thesaurus?

But seriously, it should be similar to a parting tool but shallow to clear the curved sides. A round tool bit ground down to the diameter works well.
A shallow front clearance angle so as to minimise digging in.
Maximum depth will depend on material and rigidity so it's the proverbial piece of string.

You only learn by doing laugh

Thread: Use of Mercer dti
14/05/2015 14:35:21

Difficult to know without pics. However the stylus is not guaranteed to be on the centreline of the body. That can introduce errors.

The dial can be zeroed at any time by rotating the bezel and lens.

Thread: Stainless Steel Knife Point
13/05/2015 12:37:33

That's about the same hardness as mild steel. It would wear rapidly, especially with wire wound strings.

Loading would be difficult to work out. The load pushing a string sideways would be different to the tension and both would increase rapidly as distortion increased.

Thread: Stereoscopic Loco
13/05/2015 08:23:20

Google stereoscope. It's a new project for you smiley

Thread: Problems with G-code etc.
12/05/2015 12:50:54

My experience on industrial kit is that offsets can be plus or minus from the master tool and the controller sorts it out.

I've never had to alter programs since I used dedicated toolholders and a common paramters file. A 20 station carousel on the machining centre was nice too.

Thread: Underline
11/05/2015 22:22:35

Shhh it's a secret wink

Thread: How to rivet in straight lines?
11/05/2015 14:52:03
Posted by Malcolm Harvey on 11/05/2015 13:41:55:

No mill (yet) unfortunately. I am centre punching with a punch that has a long narrow point. I have already found that with a 'normal' punch I can't see where the actual point is on the metal. I didn't know about optical punches - read about them and I want one!

Tilt the punch 45 deg away from you. Place the point on the spot and pivot it upright. It can be done. Opticals require more elbow room on the surface.

Thread: Registering with various Merchant's sites
11/05/2015 14:48:39

E-shop packages tend to be off-the-peg website add-ons.

They are set to mine as much data as possible. This is intended for mail shots, analysis and selling on. Sometimes they even sell to spammers who have no more right to live on God's clean Earth than a weasel.

It isn't necessary, it isn't right but it's the world we have.

Thread: What did you do today (2015)
10/05/2015 17:59:27

A custom muzzle thread protector. Very happy with the hot bluing.

muzzle thread protector

Thread: Lathe chuck indexing?
08/05/2015 20:21:23
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 08/05/2015 19:45:40:

I'd drill two sets of holes, one of 56 and one of 60.

Andrew

Ha ha, it's easy to spend someone else's time and labour laugh

08/05/2015 18:50:38

I'd go for 12. Then you get 2,3,4,6,12.

08/05/2015 15:04:34

Ed,

You haven't quite grasped the geometry there I'm afraid. Having no worm drive it has no similarities with a div head.

To do direct indexing you would need 40/18 = 2.22 teeth per slot. Not only does that clearly not work out but a lathe spindle doesn't lock either.

I once worked a lathe, possibly an Edgewick or Holbrook that had an oversize spindle gear which was graduated for multi-start threads but let's not go there.

With such limited kit the closest way is to put the stopped mill into low range and hope while plunging. If it's a vee spline you'll have to line up with a scribed line once centred. I will be an approximation.

Thread: wanting to buy a surface grinder..... swing type ?
07/05/2015 19:17:55

That's not a surface grinder actually. It's an oscillating head, rotary, cup wheel grinder. Very niche.

It grinds the top flat. Even a Lumsden has a tilting table.

If you have a single specific task then ok but not only is this one rough, it can't do shoulders, angles and would be a dog to dress.

I think it will disappoint I'm afraid, sorry.

Thread: Excel Query
07/05/2015 10:52:37

If you organise the data well then the Filter command will do what you need.

For instance, if the top row is made of header names then you can set all that row as individual filter elements.

Google it if you want to know more.

Thread: Asian High speed ER collet spindles
06/05/2015 16:40:58

There's a reason standard machines don't go to those speeds. However if you want to try it then why not look at a speed increaser as a compromise?

Thread: What did you do today (2015)
04/05/2015 20:11:51

Hmmm. The previous owner of that gun was quite a cowboy.

Thread: Whats going on with this drill?
04/05/2015 17:50:43

Know a friendly PAT tester? wink

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest