By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Capstan Speaking

Here is a list of all the postings Capstan Speaking has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
31/05/2015 15:17:51

Have you seen the telly show "Bush Pilots" and the lengths they went to? Also the majority who couldn't find a place. That was similar to my story.

Well that's why I went back into engineering.

31/05/2015 12:09:49

Things were much worse up there before the cold war ended. Especially with the yanks.

I've been actively buzzed several times by A10's. Had a pair of Jet Provosts pass between me and the runway on finals below 500ft. Tornadoes would just expect the "little people" to get out of their way.

It's been 25 years since I stirred a stick now.

Thread: If I were going there...
31/05/2015 08:23:42

My thought is that if you charged a commercial rate it would be more than a new drill !

To compensate, I hope you enjoy doing the work.... a lot wink

Silk purse and sow's ear applies.

Thread: What did you do today (2015)
30/05/2015 15:44:58
Posted by Steven Greenhough on 29/05/2015 21:27:04:

Ok guys, broken taps and drills...

The material is EN3B according to the eBay sellers description. Shouldn't be a problem?

Well if you were actually asking, then no, not a problem. It's much stronger and a bit less free machining than EN1 but it's still mild and quite amenable.

It doesn't give a great finish normally and usually comes in 6m+ black hot rolled. It's much cheaper than EN1a bright.

Thread: Use of MDF
30/05/2015 13:18:59

As a one-off with no suds involved, why not?

There is the risk it could crush under heavy load and it might allow chatter..

Thread: Dore - Westbury Mark 2 milling machine
29/05/2015 17:22:01
Posted by Patrick cubbon on 29/05/2015 14:21:34:

Concern is heavy thread wear of these two components. Any rectification suggestions. For example bore out threading, Loctite in a brass sleeve drilled to 1/2 inch acme tapping size then thread with a tap available from Tracy tools at a cost of £30. Have drawn a blank on the internet!

Thanks in advance for any response, Patrick Cubbon.

Tapping Acme and square threads is tricky and takes a lot of torque even in brass. It would be better to tap it before fitting so you aren't relying on the retaining compound to drive it. Then pin it in.

I'm not you but I'd screwcut it on a lathe.

Thread: What did you do today (2015)
29/05/2015 12:32:16
Posted by Oompa Lumpa on 29/05/2015 09:33:45:

Well obviously, the delivery driver had it wrong and clearly delivered Mr Stevensons Hard-As-Witcheswotsits to me by mistake, nice finish though.wink 2

graham.

Probably running a bit quick but if you got away with it then fine.

I used to refurbish press tooling as hard as HSS with a ceramic tip. I actually had to put on shades from the arc of molten metal that came off. smile d

28/05/2015 19:02:32
Posted by Rik Shaw on 28/05/2015 17:11:45:

The Blades team from Sywell.

Rik

Oh wow Sywell. That brings back memories. The bump in 05/23 caught out many a visitor.

Thread: Please Read - lathes.co.uk screwcutting software
28/05/2015 14:49:00

Quite right Neil.

**LINK**

28/05/2015 14:42:48

Yeah, inertia is a *itch.

Thread: Cutters
26/05/2015 10:57:13
Posted by Alan Rawlins on 26/05/2015 08:46:07:

Is there any reason why the cutting tool on a flycutter is usually a small square section like 1/4" or 5/16" ? Why not a 1/2" or 12mm cutting tool?

Also what is the reason for the main block, that the cutting tool is fastened to, at such a high angle?

Is there an optimum size that the flycutter should be made to? If so what criteria is used to determine this size?

The front face of the toolbit is on the centreline so it has limits unless you want a huge unit.

The angle is to give clearance on a square toolbit. You can have flat ones if you use a lathe tool. I have also made one using just a flat disc and two round toolbits held vertically with pinch screws.

Overall diameter will be limited by the torque and minimum speed of your mill.

Thread: Cutting a V - notch
25/05/2015 19:14:43

Very limiting, a combo machine.

Could a vee form tool bit in a boring bar do it for you?

Thread: Lathe tooling and grinders.
19/05/2015 19:28:11
Posted by Peter Nichols on 19/05/2015 17:58:24:

Chester have kindly agreed to throw in a free set of 5 indexable tools but I am looking around to buy myself some others and a bench grinder to get me started.

Peter.

Are you sure it's 5 indexable ones?

Well anyway you need a green wheel for the grinder too if you want to grind tungsten carbide.

Thread: Looking for Linux useres and software
19/05/2015 19:22:35
Posted by Muzzer on 19/05/2015 18:52:00:
Posted by Capstan Speaking on 19/05/2015 13:12:02:

3D solid modelling is niche even in industry in the UK. It is also very conservative.

I'd agree solid modelling is fairly conservative but like most CAD, it's a major investment in time and money, so users tend to be reluctant to see significant change within the programs or change from one program to another. That's not just the UK.

Not so clear that it's niche in the UK. Solidworks/Catia, Inventor, Solid Edge/NX etc are all 3D parametric systems and I honestly haven't seen anything else here since the mid 90s.

The number of AutoCAD users far outumbers solid modelling users and will do for the foreseeable future.
If you haven't seen AutoCAD or anything else in use then sorry but you don't get around much.

19/05/2015 13:12:02

BigAl,

I think what you mean is, good Linux software that is free. That is asking a lot.

Draftsight 2D is available for Ubuntu and Dassault own Solidworks and Catia too. It is free and it is good. AutoCAD compatible in useage and files too.

3D solid modelling is niche even in industry in the UK. It is also very conservative.

Here are some choices;

**LINK**

**LINK**

Thread: Bleeding Compressor
17/05/2015 20:53:10
Posted by Douglas Johnston on 17/05/2015 20:33:03:

This afternoon I was using the compressor to blow out some debris from some tapped holes and was alarmed to find some water drops coming out of the blower gun. Is this normal, it is the first time I have noticed it, and can anything be done to prevent it?

Doug

Not only is it normal, it is unavoidable. Increased pressure forces some of the water vapour back into liquid form. More forms in a receiver when the air cools to ambient temperature.

A separator helps but then dryers are used. Drying is expensive and not practical for home use.

17/05/2015 17:10:52
Posted by John Stevenson on 17/05/2015 16:25:40:
Posted by Danny M2Z on 17/05/2015 16:05:34:

I noticed that boilers, bottled gas tanks and diving tanks have a strict testing regime but compressors seem to be exempt.

* Danny M *

Compressors are not exempt if you are in business, cranes and compressors have to be inspected every year of your insurance is null and void.

Quite so. PSSR for administration and PUWER for maintenance.

However it is not compressors per se but receivers and piping. With hydraulics it is accumulators only.

Thread: lathe cutting fluid.
17/05/2015 07:35:24

For occasional use you are better off running it empty and using a squirty bottle.

If it's not used much then even neat cutting oil will not protect it enough. You would need to grease the exposed areas between uses.

However if you do want to fill the tank with oil then it needs to be proper neat cutting oil.

Thread: Rust Stain on STONE
16/05/2015 20:47:41

It's in the sub title. The chap's a forum noob. He's ok, it's not like we're Linux geeks wink

Thread: Setting up
16/05/2015 20:41:47

It's a simplified shape for cost saving but it's ok. That style of grooved edge is called a chip breaker. It helps to break long strings of swarf. The same thing is often put on indexable inserts.

It's set up properly although it needs to be on the centreline vertically too. Not suitable for going up to a shoulder though.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
cowells
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest