By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Capstan Speaking

Here is a list of all the postings Capstan Speaking has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What did you do today (2015)
17/06/2015 17:11:42

I've been a busy bee today.

I made an adapter to allow me to put my lathe chuck on my indexer. It came without any fittings.
It's not great but I have to work with what I have. I'll improve it later.
I used a soft blank arbour and a blank chuck back plate.

adapter1

adapter2

Also I used my lathe to set the tool bits in my face mill. It conveniently fits up the snout.

setting

Thread: Tapered Dowel Pins
16/06/2015 16:20:34

Harry asked what the offset was. You've given the included angle.

16/06/2015 16:15:32

It's 0.595 degrees.

I'd just buy a pack.

Thread: generating own power
15/06/2015 16:59:41

A cheap auto-throttle gennie might be a problem.

You know another option might be a good general purpose inverter running off a leisure battery. You would get several hours running and recharge offline from the genny. They used to hate speed controllers but they are better now.

Thread: Fly Cutting again
14/06/2015 11:55:59

It is very difficult to keep a perfect cut in such circumstances. Flexing and even slight play in the bearings will cause a second cut at the trailing edge.

Actually a tiny difference is not a problem. You could use the lower side to feed in from or carry on the cut so the trailing edge passes right over it.

Thread: Bits of steel for small jobs
12/06/2015 08:32:52

Check out the "Shopping Partners" list on the right side of the page. Macc Models is one supplier who is good for little bits and it saves a drive out.

Thread: Bigger Compressor
12/06/2015 06:52:13

Yeah, yeah very showy but can you play artillery with two airlines and a vending cup with it?

Thread: Compound Slide Locks
10/06/2015 12:20:36

A small Chinese lathe probably isn't made to have one.

Judging by the spin on the situation you were given I can guess which that company is.

If you use the compound handle to take up the backlash you will probably not even miss a clamp screw.

Mini lathes are so small that the tool can push off when facing by pushing the saddle back. I just drop the screwcutting lever on a stationary leadscrew.

Thread: Helical twist forces?
08/06/2015 14:30:23

I second Keith Long. These things meet like a pair of scissors so it must be right.

Now finding someone with a cylindrical grinder who won't charge is another matter.

We used to earn beer money in the toolroom sharpening these.

08/06/2015 10:02:33
I definitely was true Gordon and misuse could cause it to melt. That would really spoil your day.

They probably still are so as to prevent spoiling the heat treatment. I'm not prepared to trash one to find out tho.
07/06/2015 22:55:01

Don't worry, the police do some very careful vetting.

Even including criminality, the UK is one of the safest countries in the world.

That aspect isn't a topic we want to get into though. I'm sure the mods will agree.

Thread: Fly cutters
05/06/2015 09:20:52
As a rule of thumb for mild steel it is 280/D.

D is the inch diameter of the cutter or of the work if turning.

Use 200 for carbon steel and 350 for Ali.
Thread: lubricating lathes
04/06/2015 14:49:14
Posted by Muzzer on 04/06/2015 12:59:45:
Posted by Capstan Speaking on 04/06/2015 11:02:20:

Clean engine oil is not ideal but if it was highly hazardous would it be on the shelf at the supermarket where children may buy it?

Almost all petrochemicals are carcinogenic (petrol, diesel, engine oil, paraffin, kerosene etc), either from

Daylight is carcinogenic and bananas are radioactive but a bit of common is required.

04/06/2015 11:02:20

Clean engine oil is not ideal but if it was highly hazardous would it be on the shelf at the supermarket where children may buy it?

04/06/2015 10:56:57
Posted by mechman48 on 04/06/2015 10:33:26:

Nice to have the facility to a range & go bang, bang but what with the likes of Dunblane etc, we're rather severely restricted here in the UK... I have shot various weapons in the past & have shot clays on holiday... I was that 'weekend soldier' a long time back & would like to shoot again occasionally... but apart from joining the TA again... & at 67 ... not!, still, envy comes to mind.

George.

It is very restrictive but there is stil plenty of fun to be had. Semi autos at 22RF and manual load even to 50 cal. Also muzzle loading pistols.

There are also the "practical rifle" and "practical shotgun" disciplines.

The item below is 100% legal in civil hands in the UK.

22.jpg

Thread: Lubricating a Mill
03/06/2015 08:34:54

It isn't critical really. Any light grease for the screw will do. Nothing too gloopy such as copper grease and nothing that will dry out hard.

Any light lubricating oil for the slideways. An ISO 32 if you want to get something techy and specific. Engine oil will do if you are truly desperate. It needs to be light so it doesn't cause stickiness.

Thread: grinding a masonry drill for steel
02/06/2015 22:07:49

Definitely do-able if you can't buy a proper t.c. drill.

Grind the negative rake off the end. Even then the "top rake" is an unhelpful 90 degrees.

The tip is soft-soldered in so the slightest heat and it's gone.

Thread: Beginner question - facing off in a lathe.
02/06/2015 12:43:55

It might be that you are using the cheap carbide tipped tools. These don't cut well. Don't worry about the noise. As long as the tube isn't moving in the chuck it's ok.

Move in with the compound slide so it's more controlled or take short, tiny cuts along the diameter

Don't use a parting tool on an intermittent cut as the blade is likely to push off.

You'll soon work out what works best.

Edited By Capstan Speaking on 02/06/2015 12:45:56

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
01/06/2015 14:20:52

I used to enjoy flying in cloud. I'd go there on purpose.

Best to do it on a weekday when you can get radar service from the military wink

Thread: joining
31/05/2015 20:33:35

You just did! Coooeeey!

Welcome and what are your interests?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest