By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for pgk pgk

Here is a list of all the postings pgk pgk has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Spotted on facebook market - free
19/08/2019 11:39:43

I thought this might interest someone

**LINK**

Thread: Arkwright Scholarship
16/08/2019 11:48:19

For lathe work I'd suggest that making something that involves grinding a cutting tool makes the point about clearance as well as using indexable stuff since that's where the real world is. The end result either has to be useful or pretty enough to have bragging rights so my suggestions would be : canon barrel or turners cube or one of those impossible bolt puzzles. the last one is simple enough but you have turning to a shoulder, internal/external threading and knurling and drilling. And something he can take to school

pgk

Thread: Slitting Saw - which one?
12/08/2019 22:40:21

Is it off the wall to suggest a 1mm dremel type cutting disc and bodge a mounting for the tool?

pgk

Thread: Karcher pressure washer
10/08/2019 09:49:08
Posted by Joseph Noci 1 on 10/08/2019 09:04:58:

And there the Forum Falls Foul of Flexiloquent Folk partaking in a Floccinaucinihilipilification process....

Joe

Serendipitous and beats the phrase I found last week of "Pucillanimous and pestiferous paltroonery' (which I'm still trying to slip into a pub conversation)

10/08/2019 08:32:29
Posted by not done it yet on 10/08/2019 07:48:36:

I know. They were definitely signs to the owner, but are they then symptoms when the owner posts them on here?! smiley

Yeah... but that would be his symptoms (sadness, ennui, financial anguish...) not the washer's laugh. But doubtless a case for compensation from kaarcher for the mental distress, especialy if he can claim to be a minority such as an investment banker with too much money and a coke habit.

10/08/2019 06:51:13
Posted by not done it yet on 09/08/2019 21:06:00:

That will show the following signs (or is it symptoms?).

Signs = what is observed

Symptoms = what the patent feels (subjective)

I'm retired, I should keep my mouth shut...

pgk

Thread: Bulking problem?
10/08/2019 05:58:20
Posted by Kiwi Bloke on 10/08/2019 02:46:25:

Just thinking aloud here... I have no experience of, or knowledge about the subject, but when did that ever inhibit anyone posting to a forum?

Ditto.

I'd guess this is an old technique and that implies a low tech solution? How about wrapping in wet leather and then unwrapping the large end after a shrink cycle while rewrapping with fresh wet leather - guessing that'd give more compression than stretched inner tube?

As another thought put inside a chinese finger trap and crank that longer using successive sizes of traps??

pgk

Thread: Dam Solution?
08/08/2019 19:45:58
Posted by duncan webster on 08/08/2019 18:57:27:

Georgian or Victorian, I bet they had it built more quickly using picks and shovels than we could nowadays, we'd still be on the planning and impact assessment phase. Anyone remember £53 million spent on a Garden Bridge that never got started?

Any cynic assumes that's largesse for the mates - why there's always a vanity project..

07/08/2019 16:39:43

I'd suspect that in the case of trees there isn't a single 100m channel being sucked on. There's lots of cross linking, tiny channels with capillary effects and there'll be the equivelent of pools along the way: think of a cascade series where you vacuum pump up the steps in stages from pool to pool...?

pgk

07/08/2019 08:58:10
Posted by JA on 07/08/2019 08:47:29:

Slowly it dawns on me the difficulties with a syphon.

You will need a large diameter rigid pipe of that runs from near the bottom of the water side of the dam to the bottom of the dry side.

Or a few hundred domestic hose pipes and one guy with good lungs to suck on them in turn...and a big banner 'sponsored by hozelock'laugh

pgk

Thread: Finished my beam engine.
07/08/2019 05:32:48

Well done.

As for the temporary baseboard.. there's lots of ways of tarting that up. One of the issues with bases is sourcing a small amount of decent timber to make it from at a sane price. Domestic kitchen chopping boards are a potential source such as this link **LINK**

pgk

Thread: Dam Solution?
05/08/2019 16:40:30

Some fascinating links in this thread.. thanks folks, I enjoyed it so far: siphoning gasses, breaking the 32 foot water head and siphoning in a vacuum. I note the degassed water was tap water so still colligative properties from dissolved minerals - makes me wonder whether the column could be higher still with really pure water +/- what effects one might get with different adhesion/friction values between water and tube.

I recall some talk of using high molecular weight polmers to reduce friction on the boundary layer of boats (back in the 60's) to reduce drag.

pgk

Thread: Electrical conducting dough
02/08/2019 16:18:36

silver epoxy

Thread: Floor Paint
02/08/2019 14:48:01

t comes down to traffic flow and suage type. When i had my clinic I swapped out the poor floor covering for a lino-type material claimed to be used in Bus Garages...lasted about 6 mths before there were wear patches where i stood at the consulting table and cients walked through reception - the manufacturers sent a team donw who spent all day then scratched their heads and simply said traffic denisty. I swapped it out for a 9-layer epoxy job which lasted a couple fo years before looking naff. The concrete floor paint in the laundry room didnt last any longer either.

When we remodelled and extended the whole place was done out with pressed powder porecelain and epoxy grout... It looked brand new 15 years later.

Here in wet wales and a small farm the kitche and living area are tiled, the rest of the house is hevay duty laminate but the stairs are carpeted otherwise there's that inevitable clattering in the night when someone goes to kitchen or comes in late.

If you really want heavy duty and don't want epoxy then either an expensive very short pile carpet - flotex was always suggested for muddy animal entry points as carpet; washable, waterproof, short pile, not cheap. Otherwise you're into tiling over timber...

02/08/2019 10:30:52

I'd guess you're either into floor varnish over paint or a multiple coat epoxy. Not quite sure how you get up the stairs while it's curing through...

pgk

Thread: IC engine tractor conversion query
31/07/2019 15:36:09
Posted by Plasma on 31/07/2019 12:31:34:

Thanks Tim.

Some food for thought there. Plenty to keep me thinking about while I plan things.

I've been offered an electric airport luggage tug, capable of towing 6000kg for the job I have in mind.

Trouble is it's in Buckingham and I'm in Barnsley.

Never organised transport like this so I'm having fun calling haulage firms.

Regards mick

I wonder if it'd be better to just use the tug and try to find a way to get a PTO off it?

pgk

Thread: Upgrading to fibre optic broadband
31/07/2019 08:17:41
Posted by Anthony Knights on 31/07/2019 07:05:52:

I fail to understand the obsession with internet speed. I have a cheapish land line / internet deal and find it is perfectly adequate for my use. I have recently started watching programs from catchup sites, rather than relying on the crappy live schedules and have had no problems streaming them. I have had emails from my ISP saying I can upgrade to fibre for a few extra quid a month, but as the saying goes "if it ain't broke don't fix it". I don't see any point in getting an optical fibre connection until they can bring it to the house.

Speed need is entirely dependant on what you want to use it for and how many olk in the hosue want to sue it simultaneously. I ca;t get better than 3Mb/s and still manage to stream most stuff (with the occasional pause) but it'd be a pain to try and run a business with that sort of speed and uploading a youtube vid starts to become an overnight affair.

The point really is that speed per se is a bit meanigless- it;s data density that may/may not clog the system and passing it faster probably ends up with less dead space and lag up the chain with renewing handshakes although there is the inevitability that making stuff quick and slick means more folk find more stuff to shove on it.

Very hi res video is bandwidth hungry with stuff like 8K TV around the corner.

Back when i had my business i was on a 100Mb direct fibre line to both home and business but backing up my business files off-site (in case of fire etc) was still a matter of an hour or so because the upload was only 25Mb/sec.

The cynic in me is convinced that these things are rolled out in incremental stages on purpose so folk keep buying the next thing when 3-4 things away are already available but not released.

31/07/2019 06:41:21

This is yet another area of advertising con. Speeds are always advertised as 'up to' and even with a full fibre there is a matter of 'contention' - as in how many other folk are being shared on the next node up or how much an ISP might decide to throttle one set of customers. Gov was talkign about making legal changes to this but not sure if that's happened yet.

I do know that a friend who was into heavy gaming had fibre installed in our nearest town and the claimed 75Mb/sec (and bits are smaller than bytes as opposed to Mr Rimmer's typo above) turned out to be around 20Mb/sec until she kicked up a fuss and they finagled the contention.

It's well worth shopping around for a best current deal and if in a town with decent cell access then considering dumping the landline phone. None of that helps me out here suffering ruralism - no cell coverage and lucky to get 3Mb/sec and 3-4miles of copper to the exchange with no practical chance they'll bother shoving an optical line my way.

The other thing to look at is upload speed if you are into sending vids or large files or on-line backups.

I happen to be on Zen Internet at the moment.. was the cheapest last time we switched.

The final final thing to look at is that some companies now give an introductory discount with a referral code - every bit helps and I'm sure whoever you decide to use there'll be someone around that can provide it.

The whole thing is rather pathetic when gov talks aboit everyone being entitled to 20Mb/sec and there's cuntries out there where speeds measured in Gigabites are common. If one is goign to upgrade a system then do it right and future-proof it or you'll be faster on 5G.

pgk

Thread: "I'm calling about your accident" - how does this scam work?
30/07/2019 08:13:24

..or you just put a post-it note over the lens..devil

pgk

28/07/2019 05:27:25

I thought reverse charge scam required one to be conned into pressing a button to accept it?

A calling about accident scam could work in several ways;

1 possibly being directed to press a button for some spurious extension.

2 being directed to a malicious website

3 being asked for personal details or a deposit for the matter to be taken forwards, bank accout details for your compensation

4 semi-genuine as in fishing for easy-win accident cases and then selling the info on to half-way reputable legal firms for a finders fee

pgk

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
ChesterUK
Meridienne Sept 2019
Advertise With Us
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest