By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for pgk pgk

Here is a list of all the postings pgk pgk has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Building Robinson Hot Air Engine
16/01/2021 20:01:48

Very nice!

Is it just me or does it say die filer to anyone else?

gk

Thread: Coronavirus death stats
15/01/2021 05:14:35

Were there a sudden and urgent need for milions of life-saving silver soldered copper boilers you can be certain that 20 expert engineers would argue as to the best approach to cutting, flanging and assembling them when things are critical. You can also be certain that whatever consistency they might arrive at would be screwed up by some poiliticians second cousin sourcing supplies of brass and german silver for them to be made from even before it was realised that there wasn't enough factory capacity - easily solved with a few emergency buildings despite not enough trained engineers to man them. Old engineers might be invited to come out of retirement but only if they first complete a dozen important courses such as radicalisation awareness, bridge building and road construction.

The problems are always the same - expert opinion is still only opinion and when it's a new variant of a problem then there is a learning curve even amongst the experts - let alone the political will to get on with it , the beaurocracy interfering with it and the need for policitians to look good while doing it.

You can also be fairly sure that after reading and watching media presentations a goodly number of non-engineers would wear successfully home-made secure copper boilers correctly while a larger number would hang any old bit of metal or even plastic around their necks because copper boilers really can't be that important.

pgk

Thread: Nitrogen as an Energy Store ...
12/01/2021 15:30:43

This Link

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjtyeiZ2ZbuAhUX3IUKHVMiCNgQFjADegQIBRAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Ffuturepowertrains.co.uk%2F2015%2Fassets%2Fdownloads%2Fpresentations%2Fnick-owen.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0er1ilgXRsi-TPtDWd99c9

Gives detais on how it works and this statement:
Predicted performance (2ndgeneration)>140Wh chilling per kg LiNin a frozen TRU application –payback vs competition, zero emissions

pgk

Thread: Metric to imperial
05/01/2021 22:57:54

..or a slide rule

.. or just draw a graph and laminate it

..modern folk use the calculator on their phone...

pgk

Thread: Making a cast of a blind hole
05/01/2021 17:03:13

You can buy dental impression compounds on ebay.

There are all sorts of 2-part epoxy putties about so long as you use some form of release agent to stop it bonding and remove before fully cured.

Modelling clay might be enough too so long as you're gentle with the mesurements or 'fimo' which come in a whole slew of varieties and you can bake the impression to harden if you want to get fancy and cut it in half after.

pgk

Thread: Odd thread
05/01/2021 06:26:59

a)...cut the thread outbound from headstock from a shoulder...
b)...remove thread from part of your threaded rod and threadlock/press fit the disc.
c)...make a tap

pgk

Thread: Low temperature casting metal
03/01/2021 14:29:33

I filled some checks in a rustic style table using epoxy and metallic nail art filler - available in a huge range of colours if you're game to get away from B/W convention.

edit - another thought might be to 'leaf' if afterwards - faux gold leaf et al isn't too pricey

pgk

Edited By pgk pgk on 03/01/2021 14:31:26

Thread: In anticipation of the New Year ...
03/01/2021 11:47:39
Posted by Oldiron on 03/01/2021 11:41:01:

Graham Stoppani 03/01/21 "1. A laser based quantum computer has completed a calculation in 4 minutes. Doesn't sound much until you compare it to the time a traditional computer would have taken of 2.56 billion years."

I wonder how long it took to work out how long a traditional computer would take to do the calc' ?

Hides behind the settee. wink regards

Reminiscent of the old story of the Texan bragging to the Irishman how it takes him 3 days to ride a horse around his ranch. The Irishman replies "I had a horse like that once"

There is a huge difference between a simulation of intelligence and the real thing. Pubs are a good observational platform.

pgk

Thread: 2021
01/01/2021 11:43:19
Posted by Ady1 on 01/01/2021 10:47:14:

I'm sceptical about any improvement

The numbers say a 5% kill rate which is 3 million in the UK

We aren't even at 100,000 yet

Would be happy to be wrong but the numbers don't lie, only politicians lie

My take on our overall death rate (from covid as opposed to failure to treat other things as well) is 3% but dropped to 2% currently with better approaches to therapy and assuming systems can cope. Vaccination arguments re only a single dose make maths difficult since the lower protection level and higher numbers protected will be confused by what R number that gives. In any event we have a history of failing to meet targets even if the vaccine availabilty improves.
I doubt we;ll be 'controlled; before autumn or even have 1/3rd of the population vaccinated and many of those 'wearing off'. My bigger concern is with what bug is going to test us next for a country with a poor bed ratio to population compared to most of europe and still claiming how wonderful the NHS is (thats no criticism of the front line workers)

pgk

Thread: Change display font size?
28/12/2020 08:45:33

Crtl and + symbol together should enlarge the display in firefox

pgk

Thread: Interesting wheel construction
25/12/2020 15:55:27

The spoke around half past 7 looks as though the end lump passed through the inner rim which would make life a whole lot easier?

pgk

Thread: Retractable wheels etc for moving a Lathe ?
25/12/2020 15:37:39

25mm doesn't give enough room for a simple solution. Perhaps some air wedges to lift each end high enough to slide bogies under?

pgk

Thread: Christmas Disasters!
25/12/2020 11:17:44

After due consideration I have abandoned the idea of lathe and parting tool and opting for mill and slitting saw before applying the blowlamp and spoon:
img_20201225_105607312[1].jpg

Thread: Wheelchair design mystery
22/12/2020 11:49:02
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 22/12/2020 11:36:00:

... and then [later] won the prize
That’s the interesting bit

MichaelG.

Indeed. But you can bet future investors will have contracts that any such prize goes to company not individual...

(I once worked for a chap and part of the contract was that if any customer should happen to leave me a bequest it would go to him - talk about tight and long shots..)

pgk

Thread: Rewiring Li ion battery
22/12/2020 11:35:32
Posted by Adrian R2 on 22/12/2020 11:22:22:...., but for occasional use tools they make sense for the DIYer or hobbyist who doesn't want to invest multiple hundreds in a premium brand.

I own most of them ..the original cordless drill/driver from 8 yrs ago still going strong on it's only battery. The 20v range generally not too bad... hedge trimmer runs slow but the blade is way better than the blades on my petrol versions so overall is superior. The pole saw is a bit pants due to the skip-chain but OK for minor use (grab the stihl petrol for major jobs but a heavy beast). Best is the reciprocating sabre/pruning saw - does a very decent job for pennies and so long as I'm working within walking range of a power source then 2 chargers and multiple packs works well. Worst is the cordless pressure washer - a complete waste of time - I get more pressure and volume from the hosepipe...

pgk

22/12/2020 10:34:03

I'd be more concerned with the fact that there was a heap of batteries at half price. Past experience with half price rechargeable packs (from other sources) is that they tend to be old stock with a poor residual life (unless they still have a good lidl warranty)

pgk

Thread: Wheelchair design mystery
22/12/2020 10:29:46

Perhaps i misread the original 2 articles but my intepretation was that the guy came up with a better wheelchair, started a company to make them and then got locked out of it. That's not uncommon.

The reality for most folk with a good idea and a wish to make/market it is that they need entrepreneurial finance and those guys aren't in the game to do you any favours - you do all the work setting up the business and unless you're essential for further developments or hold all the patents then businessmen will lock you out of the board and take over - altruism doesn't come into it.

At least the innovation prize went where it should doubtless with the investors kicking themselves that they hadn't got that possibility locked down in the original contracts.

I experienced the same thing when i came up with a unique way of dealing with my own profession. I made heaps of calls and had all the guys needed for the scheme lined up and keen on this new model but when it came to hunting up the loot to get the thing off the ground ( several million) it became abundantly clear that I'd be doing all the work setting it up but no way of guaranteeing I'd remain a part of it. To a degree you can understand it - these guys are risking their speculative cash.

pgk

Thread: Flame resistant material
18/12/2020 16:30:42

Ceramic gasket material as used round flue access ports and wood burner door glass? 3mm thick
This sort of thing

pgk

Thread: Seen It All Now - Bah Humbug
18/12/2020 12:57:18
Posted by Martin Kyte on 18/12/2020 09:53:19:

It also has a poulation density of 25 per square kilometer rather than 275 /km2 so you would expect a slower intrinsic infection rate without restrictions.

regards Martin

Indeed but like here most folk still live in popultion centres albeit smaller ones.
Take Wales for an example - supposedly very high covid rates because the major population is Swansea, Cardiff and up by Colwyn. Wife and I share a couple of squares kilometer out here in the sticks apart from a P3 filter on supply runs and plan on keeping it that way.

Nigel Graham 2

Czech biccy recipes are on-line - easy to do just a bit of a fiddle with the traditional shapes. I modified the recipes to make them vegan for OH

A pic from last year although this year I added to the varieties:

img_20191221_105542289 (2).jpg

pgk

18/12/2020 04:29:34

I can't avoid pointing out that while Sweden does have a higher Covid case number/population than us it also has a lower death rate/population.

As for christmas cards - just think how many are going to be stuck down with saliva.....

We send heaps of other stuff electronically so I see little difference in cards going the same way. A quick search for public domain christmas pics gives anyone without the artistry to create their own plenty of choice.

I was brought up with the tradition of my mum baking czech style christmas biscuits laid out on trays for friends and visitors over the festive season. She has long passed on but I brought back the tradition last year and baked heaps of the things this year with intention to give friends and neighbours parcels of them - before realising that folk are going to be chary of such gifts with Covid about. It's going to take my OH many months to get through them...

pgk

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest