By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for pgk pgk

Here is a list of all the postings pgk pgk has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: TBH!
12/08/2020 21:51:19

It got pretty hot here today - my valley acts as a solar focal point. So why didn't you guys turn the a/c on? <rapid exit stage left>

(back in the 70's I worked in a practice with a converted shed as it's theatre. We recorded 112F in there one year. So hot that I could manage a 30 min op then drink a quart of water and sit outside to cool down before the next job. I filled a bin-bag with water in a cat basket and froze it so i could hug an ice cube the next day. That was when i promised myself that a/c was on my priority list)

pgk

Thread: Door stay help
12/08/2020 08:18:20

A quck look-up cheat tells me that a 40mph wind gust exerts 6.4lbs/sqr foot pressure. Assuming a half pair of french doors 2ft x 6.5ft = 83+lbs pressure. Thst's a lot to control with a small contact sliding pad in a groove.

(I chose 40mph gust 'cos they are fairly common in my valley even on 15mph wind days and far be it for my OH to actually hook the door back...I have to get there first)

pgk

Thread: Help needed - Video editing software for free.
12/08/2020 07:36:40

I suppose it rather depends on how fancy the project will be. For the simple editing I use then Windows in-built movie maker does the job.

pgk

Thread: Deburring Stones (stones for deburring)
11/08/2020 07:42:38
Posted by clogs on 11/08/2020 07:31:27:..

Remember now "Bacho" .... Sweden not Europe.......sorry a grey moment.....hahaha...

Bahco files? Portugese
Argument re Sweden ..can be classified as Northern Europe (optionally Scandinavia) and Sweden is in the European Union (1995)

..need more grecian 2000

pgk

Thread: Door stay help
10/08/2020 14:28:20

I have the same arrangement on my UPVC patio doors..totally useless in any breeze. My solution was to add hooks and eyes from outside wall to door at the bottom... simple and guaranteed.

pgk

Thread: Deburring Stones (stones for deburring)
10/08/2020 11:22:09

The only time I hand stone (so far) is touching up HSS tooling but you're right that available stones are numerous - even akansas stones are in different grades. If you start looking at japanese knife sharpening (water) stones then the grit range is also massive. For practical reality just 'touching' up a HSS tool a small fine stone is all that's needed. The one I like best was a wesh slate stone but by it's nature it didn't last as long as the more dense types and i haven't managed to replace it. Some folk prefer a small fine diamond on plastic thingy instead 'cos all I'm doing is essentially a quick honing.

(when I'm using the term hand stoning I'm talking about holding stone and HSS in each hand for a few strokes as opposed to shaping or sharpening a wood chisel and honing the edge of that)

pgk

Thread: Facing bar ends parallel on the lathe.
10/08/2020 07:30:03

A lazy but wasteful way may be to just chuck up a length, face the free end and then a deep groove near the chuck end just deep enough for whatever fixings are needed and cleaned up... then off the lathe finish cutting through with a saw, back on the lathe and bore out a central depression below your clean face.

pgk

Thread: Namibian Dust Storms
09/08/2020 14:37:16
Posted by Nicholas Farr on 09/08/2020 13:41:19:

Hi, certainly to warm for me, if it got that hot here, I think I'd have to sit in my car with air conditioning on the coldest setting.

Regards Nick.

..until the vents clog up and the car is stripped to bare metal ready for repainting....?

pgk

Thread: Training school auction
07/08/2020 13:12:45
Posted by Barrie Lever on 07/08/2020 11:16:31:

Finally PGK PGK for Prime Minister, although I expect he has far too much

Too much? I freely admit to being comfortable financially but compared to Tory Boris J or Socilaist Tony Blair my personal assets are small and none from back-handers, brown envelopes or overpaid evening talks and introductions or giving peerages to family members.

pgk

Thread: pottyengineering small holes centring tool
07/08/2020 10:53:00

If the tail stock is truly in alignment then surely the same effect is achieved just with a very short tool in a tailstock collet? I can understand it would help if there is slop.

pgk

Thread: Training school auction
07/08/2020 10:48:18

I believe SOD is confusing wealth as a country with GDP (which i argue is a flawed measure) as opposed to balance of payments and natural resources. While it's true that the UK is unlikely to be a huge exporter of food it does need to start by being at least self-suffiicient in the stuff rather than importing more than 50% and since british farming is generally quite efficient there is a good argument for encouraging british (farmers. families, franchises) to take on land abroad and farm it.

There is also confusion between 'service sector' and 'service industries'.

My wish for a wealthy nation would be a debt free nation (nationally) with high standards of living - measured not by 'stuff' but by educational standards and quality health and lifestyle.

A substantial part of the national (foreign) income is in financial services and insurance and there has been a 'plot' afoot for some time by both Germany and France to grab the LSE (one reason for leaving europe) and both those sectors are relativey easy prey. Add to that the nonsense we have on foreign owned Amazon/Ebay/Apple/Software and a huge chunk of wealth is exported with little tax benefit.

Gov hails the 'beloved NHS' which apart from being 'free at the point of need' is frankly not very good at all when compared with other top nations. Education is another weak point UK... mostly because it depends on good parenting and that is also woeful - partly due to the culture of both parents working and because of our reservoir of 'underprivileged' - much of which is down to the problems of integrating multiculturalism. The only solution I see is parenting classes and higher teacher ratios and more streaming and smaller schools - and possibly some form of National Srvice - not as a military training but as a further education with discipline.

pgk

Thread: solenoid circuit
05/08/2020 21:36:25

Two stage trigger action makes me wonder if the dodgy option of preloading the trigger with a spring would allow a smaller solenoid to complete the action?

pgk

Thread: Two factor Authentication and Ruralism
05/08/2020 21:31:41
Posted by Simon Williams 3 on 05/08/2020 19:31:48:....

,,,,Is Paypal heading towards the stupidity of NatWest?

All remote purchases are going that way. As stated in my OP via WiFi is the easiest solution. WhatsAp will work on virtually any phone recent enough to still function and should be an option. Otherwise I also have had to drive to a reception area and call wife at home when we need to deal with assorted online investments and banks.

I make too many mistakes on phone keyboards and no current laptop (3 PC's but I'm not carting those and inverters around). I could tether to my Tesla's big screen but I really don't need to clog that up with with cookies and nonsense which it'd probably reject anyway..

Yet another ill-conceived beaurocracy that could have been avoided with a little more thought

pgk

05/08/2020 17:08:54
Posted by KWIL on 05/08/2020 16:17:49:

Good bye Paypal?

As I understand - It's euro legislation - all online purchases with credit/debit cards will need this. Should have come in earlier but was delayed by C-19

pgk

05/08/2020 13:28:27
Posted by Steambuff on 05/08/2020 11:46:55:

Hi,

Why not look at getting a Skype phone number? Not sure what the cost is.

You then answer the call on your PC/Laptop/Tablet etc

Dave

That may/may not work since numbers aren't mobile type. I cant find the extra fee for being able to use it for MSM either.

pgk

05/08/2020 13:26:14
Posted by Dave Halford on 05/08/2020 11:58:39:

wouldn't be an Acatel by any chance?

Motorola G6 (annoyingly the G6 play can do wifi calling)

pgk

05/08/2020 11:16:45

This is a mobile signal desert..unless I cross two fields and climb the hill or drive into town.Therefore a few years ago I bought a decent phone with a cheap pay as you go deal (1p mobile) which does all i need.. WhatsAp at home and an emergency phone when out and a phone link to my car (remote locking condiioning etc).

None of the networks will activate this particular model for WiFi calling so it looks like I'm going to have to buy a third phone with WiFi calling on a monthly contract just to keep plugged in at home for wife and I to use when doing any internet purchases or banking as a shared option between us.

Why the heck they couldn't just have used an email option in the new rules.....?

pgk

Thread: Taking a pair of wire cutters to a standard baseball cap
05/08/2020 07:30:24
Posted by R Johns on 05/08/2020 05:17:48:

I say old boy, I wear a cricket cap. No problems this end. Toodle pip.

A Patriot at last albeit prepared to wear such headgear off the field shows a lack of class. Boater or Panama depending on the occasion, please, and certainly never show an affinity for headgear favoured by colonial seperatists. Global warming may lead me to upgrade to a solar topi...

..particularly after my DIY haircut - 12mm all over....

pgk

Thread: Music in the Workshop
03/08/2020 12:21:19

Out here in the wilds of Wales OH ditched the digital radio I bought 'cos it couldn't pick anything much up. I ran some Cat6 down to my shed and another cheap router so internet radio is available but personally I prefer having a conversation with the other chap in my head and use the web for lookups on feeds or drill sizes...

pgk

Thread: Social Distancing
03/08/2020 12:11:43

If you subscribe to the theory of comets and meteors delivering proteins then we're all alien....

As to C-19 there is no plan to eradicate it. It's a holding game pending a vaccine with indisputable damage to the economy meanwhile. PlanB is herd immunity...60-80% The easiest way is to let the younger survivable 80% catch it and ring fence the older folk until they croak (mostly from inadequate health care under current access) from old age..

There's no shortage of N95 masks online now if you want to protect yourself better when shopping (assuming budget allows) Lesser face coverings don't protect you.. they help protect others only.

pgk

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
emcomachinetools
cowells
EngineDIY
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest