By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for pgk pgk

Here is a list of all the postings pgk pgk has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Gandalf is broken
22/10/2019 21:03:01

It's often a question of what's to hand. Waterproof PVA swilled inside then stuff gently with newspaper or old rag bits soaked in the same.

pgk

Thread: Turning a recess in the end of a bar
22/10/2019 16:26:46
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 22/10/2019 12:20:53:

My problem is, how does a lazy bloke with no money get someone else to sort out the brambles he's allowed to take over his garden. As it's I nice day I've been forced to tackle it this morning, and I HATE GARDENING.

Dave

Since the OP has been answered . I hate brambles too- and got acres of them. They have a habit of pulling the chain off chainsaws and not doing too well with brushcutter blades. Local farmer in't pub last friday stated a specific weedkiller for them but the name escapes me...it;s too late in the season really for weedkillers anyway but I understand the DIY weedkiller way is to mix glyphosate with wallpaper paste and soak trails in a bowl - the wallpaper paste lets you know which one's you've done. Again impractical when you have as much as I do. They're going to die back now anyway. If the ground is suitable then a front deck lawn mower will mulch them down (my method around the garden edges) or a tarctor and topper round field boundaries--- back up and lower the topper on 'em.

I had a few to cut my way through before felling some trees last week and , yeah, took the chain off the saw just before i finished (again)

Thread: identify
20/10/2019 22:02:59

Spark test?

**LINK**

pgk

Thread: VPN?
17/10/2019 10:27:33

The Opera browser gives you the option of a free included VPN

Thread: New member from North Wales
16/10/2019 17:08:08

Welcome

I'm near llanfyllin, own several r.c helis but haven't flown them for some years - other things got in the way...

pgk

Thread: High Paint Costs
15/10/2019 15:42:01

A quick google shows amazon doing 2.5L dulux primer/undercoat for that money.

I do recall buying soem 'proessional' dulux primer/undercoat when painting my hobbyshed cupboards and being udnerwhelmed by the thinness of the coat and the shop giving me all sorts of 'technical' chat about edge and corner retentions. Back in the day we used to undercoat indoor stuff with emulsion.

pgk

Thread: Help with gearbox oil
14/10/2019 21:17:42

Local agri engineer stocks ISO 32 and 46 (so a compromise?). They tell me that their oil won't contaminate land when a hose splits (true or not?) If you have a local chappie like that then you can probably go down and beg a cup or two - there are drums of the stuff...

Thread: What grade
14/10/2019 16:56:23
Posted by Brian Wood on 14/10/2019 15:55:12:

I agree with you that gold plating might look too bright; it does dull slightly with aging but the process is slow.

I believe it's possible to get gilding foils in all sorts of metal colours and shades Also many moons ago I dismantled and re-lacquered an ancient saxaphone using cellulose rattle can that was essentailly a clear coat with a tint of brass. Not sure if that's still available (came from an auto paint shop in Uxbridge)

pgk

14/10/2019 11:26:36

Is it daft to suggest gilding?

Thread: Heat insulation
14/10/2019 11:22:53

You could cut and shape a thermalite block? I noticed a jewellry site selling charcoal blocks as a solder base on the grounds that it reflects heat well and has reducing benefits- so perhaps BBQ charcoal? Don't do what I stupidly tried and fill it with vermiculite from the garden centre which promptly flew everywhere when i showed it the gas torch <embarrassed>. Or just stuff it full of thermal blanket.

pgk

Thread: Plinth size?
13/10/2019 15:28:22

And there's no need to feel constrained to rectangles, circles or ovals... arrowheads or clouds or a slice through an intersting log can be just as aesthetic. Some mnay years ago i bought a bunch of cheap small chopping boards to use as mounting boards for CCTV cams on pebble-dashed walls and still have some left (for the lazy)

cam00486.jpg

Thread: A cord of Ash
11/10/2019 17:14:50

Cord of wood as local usage out here in the sticks is used as a reference to a handleable length as opposed to 'ringing it up' use as cut to splittable lengths for the woodburner. Sorry if that caused confusion. It's probably meant as 'cording it up' to be assembled into proper cords.

We rural leek crunchers is simple folksmiley

pgk

11/10/2019 12:32:49

Two logs. One is over 3'6" but a couple fo inches, the other is over 4' by a couple of inches. The thinner one is 6" diameter the fatter one 6.5" (with a small longitudinal split on one edge as it fell). thin ends are both still near enough 6".

If somone can really use them then I can probably transport part-way on the motorway network 'cos of my free electrons and it's quite fun to drive my car... last call. (so long as it;s raining and I can't do any outdoor work here)

img_20191011_121225679[1].jpg

img_20191011_121234688[1].jpg

Edited By pgk pgk on 11/10/2019 12:33:50

11/10/2019 11:15:53

Not having much of a clue about bell stays and ash sizes I googled it: **LINK**

I'll try to take some pics and pull the two best bits into the barn to get the rain dried off. My saw table can't plank this diameter.

Anyone here actuallt into making such things?

pgk

10/10/2019 16:18:22

Ronnie Barker could make four candles out of it. - rough it out green, wrap in newspaper and stick in the garage for a year - 18mths before finishing off. Or leave as is for 5-6 yrs...

I have plenty of timber on the property but these had to come down pre-winter and i;d corded it beore it struck me how nice that one piece was (or I'd have left it longer).

Ash is the one wood that'll happily burn green.

pgk

Thread: uv cured gap filling adhesive
08/10/2019 17:12:35

As above. I've been in the situation where I had started filling a tooth and discovered the UV light tool was u/s. It took only a tad longer to setdental products using the light guide designed to plug into an endoscope. That would have had a halogen bulb.

pgk

Thread: A cord of Ash
08/10/2019 15:20:40

I just had to take down some small ash trees that might have threatened my overhead cable to barn.

Just on the off-chance it's any good to someone there's a lovely straight piece of 7-8" diameter trunk about 3-4 ft long - you'ld have to collect (about 12 miles west of welshpool) otherwise it'll get logged up for the fire.

Free of course

pgk

Edited By pgk pgk on 08/10/2019 15:21:11

Thread: I am a metal sculptor and happy to be here!
07/10/2019 16:50:06

That's some stunning work (- there's more on his website chaps).

pgk

Thread: Saw doctor
07/10/2019 05:21:09

Back in the day my Dad used to get his saws sharpened here: Bedfords Saw & Tool

I can't comment on their current quality since we're going back 60 yrs but they are still in business.

Not too bad a run from London

Thread: Has to be seen to be believed
05/10/2019 08:37:35
Posted by J Hancock on 05/10/2019 08:30:51:

I wonder if it was a ' boiler first' or 'chassis first ' builder ?

Ask nicely,,, he may have the chassis available for you too as a well-made pairlaugh

pgk

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowbells
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Meridenne Boat 2019
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest