By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for MalcB

Here is a list of all the postings MalcB has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Warco VMC
31/01/2017 19:11:20

Well tachometer arrived today and was able to see exactly where i was up to with actual spindle speeds.

From trials I am playing with two options to set belt speed at for 50Hz.

Have option of 1380RPM or 1800RPM.

For the time being I am going to run with 1800RPM setting at 50Hz.

On my Teco going into parameters Group 12 have set parameter 12-03 to show 1800 RPM at 50Hz. Have set parameter 12-04 to read display in RPM ( up to 5 fig integra ).

Display now shows spindle speed as you go. Spindle speed at 75Hz ( Tec's max rated speed ) is 2700RPM or a tad more if I wanted to push it. Will see how we go and monitor motor temp any periods on lower speeds. May fit digital thermo on it.

Edited By MalcB on 31/01/2017 19:12:36

Thread: Stuart Beam ENgine
31/01/2017 13:49:43

I bought a set of raw castings and materials off Gumtree for the std Stuart Beam Engine a couple of years ago which hadnt been started and that were originally purchased from Stuart over 30 years ago.

The piston material suplied is gunmetal in my kit. Dont know whats in their current kit. Their drawings then did not spec the material for each item. Dont know if their current drawings do?

Thread: Face mill
31/01/2017 08:17:19

I have a few different types, some old and some new.

If I am literally just blocking up i much prefer my round ( button ) tipped because of the better finishes it gives. Also has more inserts than my other cutters and is slightly bigger.

Yes as mentioned you can get them with a decent rake on tips

Yes they do tend to look as though they are overloading sometimes, but what one or two may not realise just why.

If you take a face mill with say triangular tips set at rightangles to work surface and you put a 4mm cut on then you have approx 4mm off cutter tip in contact ( ignoring tip rads ).

If you did this 4mm depth of cut with the button tipped face mill using say 8mm ( for ease of calculation ) dia tips then you have 1/4 of the tips circumference in contact. Works out a tad over 6mm i.e 50% more area than the example above.

This logic applies to using round button tools in the lathe, as I like using them there as well when i can. I think its liken to what they term as broadcutting on a shaper etc.

30/01/2017 21:36:54
Posted by Stuart Bridger on 30/01/2017 20:37:27:

I have a VMC and the rubber sheet that keeps swarf out of the slideways has disintegrated. The standard Warco sheet is a bit on the thick side and often fouls my vice. I would be interested to hear what others are using. I see that one owner is using some form of yellow sheet from a photo earlier in this thread.

Thanks

Stuart

Mine has a set of concertina slideway bellows fitted. They are old now and are starting to fray in places. I have had a quick look on the Bay for a suitable replacement but nothing as of yet. Need to further research a source.

I do have a sheet of 1/16" rubber just about big enough to make similar to whats fitted to new ones now. Dont really want to go down that route yet. Prefer the bellows if i can get some but not desperate yet.

Thread: Myford 'endorsed' oils and oil gun?
30/01/2017 08:07:27
Posted by StephenS on 30/01/2017 04:57:29:

Does anybody have any experience of these oil guns **LINK** ?

Yes, I use a similar Pressol badged one on my Harrison M300.

The Pressol comes with two easily removed nozzles, one concave and one almost pointed ( which I radiussed slightly to suit my needs ). They are more telescopic than it shows in the picture i.e. two tubes. Not long since bought mine from Ebay.

It works and seals well, and is really well made, especially for the money against what Myford ask for theirs. You can also use small rubber O rings on the concave nozzle for additional sealing if needed.

Plenty of German Ebay sellers doing the Pressol for less than £20. They are listed as grease guns, but when you read the descriptions they do both grease and oil. I think they do about 3 different capacity ones.

Edited By MalcB on 30/01/2017 08:11:42

Edited By MalcB on 30/01/2017 08:12:47

30/01/2017 07:41:34
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 30/01/2017 05:07:28:
Posted by MalcB on 29/01/2017 17:00:20:

Thanks Chris, thats worth noting. I am aware of the cooling issues on lower running but 24/7 is never going to happen. It will deffo be significantly more intermittent.

I suppose they somehow have to qualify a cut off point for motors that run continually like some compressors and fans etc.

Its as you say for your lathe, excessive periods of continuos running in home workshop are unlikely and if you do happen to suspect some possible chance overheating you can always fall back on a belt change.

You might be surprised how quickly the motor heats up when run slow.

If you put all your motor parameters into the inverter it should model its heating/cooling behaviour and do its best to stop you overheating it.

Thanks Neil, already put motor parameters in.

The VFD I installed on my M300 is left at 50Hz and I use the machines own speed ranges. There is a variable frequency pot on its Teco but I haven't needed it on the lathe, so the motor stays at std speed.

This one I am fitting on my 626 is my first where I will be using a pot to control speed so I will be monitoring motor temperature as previously suggested.

I have already had the issue with this particular Teco, of occasionally RCD tripping on the consumer unit when switching down the whole power supply to the machine. The manual shows to disconnect the EMC filter by breaking a link from outside the case to overcome this supply issue which i have now done.

It would actually be easy to fit a switch to the filter to bring in and out as needed if at all necessary.

30/01/2017 07:17:08
Posted by petro1head on 29/01/2017 23:13:39:

Has anyone bought a VMC used and if so how was it transported. I.e. Did you dismantle it into more manageable pieces

Yes, I bought my early 626 used, so had to travel about 60 miles to collect it.

Picked it up in my motorcycle box trailer which has hinged down loading ramp. The main column is heaviest section, especially with the whole ram assembly attached. I picked it up from a guy who has an engine crane and pallet truck so it was easy to load from his workshop down to the road.

The ram assembly was disconnected at the motor, then dismantled and lifted from the machine. The table has to be then raised until the knee screw is up higher than the bottom of the casting base, table about 4-5" from top of its travel on mine for safe clearance. The column was then unbolted from the base cabinet and lifted clear,.

The high table position leaves column assembly a bit top heavy so care in moving and loading into trailer was needed to stop any tipping.

Parts all loaded into position in trailer using rollers etc where needed and with some two man lifting/manipulating. Column section again most difficult as trailer is a box trailer so couldnt be just craned into position, open trailer would be much easier but more exposed. A van will need same procedure as box trailer.

Loads of ratchet points in my bike trailer fortunately so everyting well ratchetted down.

It will depend on electrical system on machine as to how much electrical disconnection is required, mine has 3 axis DRO already fitted so a tad of extra electrical and mechanical disconnecting required. Table powerfeed was supplied loose and had not installed. From memory I do not think I have missed anything but heyho.

Malc

Edited By MalcB on 30/01/2017 07:45:26

Thread: Face mill
29/01/2017 18:14:21

My friend has just recently bought a 160mm self centre chuck direct from China and ended up paying VAT. Almost as expensive as UK with the VAT.

I personally have bought items up to about £45 from China ( motorcycles and tooling suff ) but never got an extra VAT request. Never really spent more there.

Not sure if they just do random checks or if there are checks when weights rise like for a chuck.

29/01/2017 17:00:20

Thanks Chris, thats worth noting. I am aware of the cooling issues on lower running but 24/7 is never going to happen. It will deffo be significantly more intermittent.

I suppose they somehow have to qualify a cut off point for motors that run continually like some compressors and fans etc.

Its as you say for your lathe, excessive periods of continuos running in home workshop are unlikely and if you do happen to suspect some possible chance overheating you can always fall back on a belt change.

29/01/2017 15:20:14
Posted by ChrisH on 29/01/2017 11:52:14:

Hi Malc - I am making the assumption (always unwise!) that your new set-up does not involve changing pulleys to achieve the total speed range and that the speed range is controlled totally by the VFD. With the highest speed aimed at 2600/2700rpm or even more, what is the lowest speed you can run at?

Chris

Hi Chris, Its a bit up in the air at the moment. I have currently set the belts at 1800RPM. As motors were similar speeds on mine, then so should the actual speeds now be the same at 50Hz. This means on this belt setting at 75Hz I should see 2700RPM.

The inverter will slow down to just a literal crawl speed. When i try and grip the plain part of my ER40 chuck with my hand at such a low speed there is no chance of holding it, far too much torque for me to do that.

Like I have said cannot confirm all of this until my tacho comes to me around Feb 1st from Jersey.

I may juggle the 75% max speed or the belts slightly, not sure as depends on what I see as actual speed. If my setting currently remains the same I am pretty sure for me that no belt changes would be necessary.

Malc

28/01/2017 21:39:57

Hi,

The Tec motor was used but practically new from Ebay, i only paid £45 for it. New are listed on ebay at about £110. Its a MS90s- 4 pole, 1400 RPM at 50Hz. Delta 230v at 4.57A, Star 414v at 2.54A.

The Teco L510 was listed and boxed as new. It was a private Ebay seller listed at £125 and took offer of £120 which was quite a bargain its the model with the 'A' suffix which denotes the logic controls are 24v to ground.

The pendant is again from an Ebay trader. He has some similar ones listed, see item 222390434689. Mine with the E stop isnt listed at the moment as it was the last while he waits for some new E stop buttons coming.

For speeds it depends what your are going to do. If you wand to do any small diameter milling or drilling then you technically need some high speeds.

Example, 1/8" dia drill or slot drill in low carbon mild steel should be in the region of 180/200 ft/ min. At 200ft/min (2400 ins/min) divided by 0.39" ( cutter circumferance ) it would need 6000 RPM. I am looking to achieve 2700 ish RPM which is still less than half of this which is only about 90ft/min ish. 2000RPM would be even less. If you take things easy however you will be fine.

Until I get my tacho I dont know what the machine will achieve at 75Hz but I reckon it would max out quite a bit over 3000 RPM but thats beyong intended max speed of the machines spindle.

28/01/2017 19:52:05
Posted by Mike Bondarczuk on 28/01/2017 18:05:50:

Just to add my comments to this topic i also have a pre-owned Chester 626 VMC, which is identical to the Warco model and mine is one of the early ones from Taiwan.

It is fitted with a 2.5HP motor fed via a VFD and stays on the highest speed belt setting and I just vary the speed from very very slow through to about10% above the original speed.

So far, which is now more than three years, I have had absolutely no issues with the performance and also have the benefit of a four axis DRO set-up with the fourth axis being he quill feed.

Would certainly recommend that route for power.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Mine is actually an early re-painted model with 3 axis readout plus vernier on quill. Dont know where made exactly but the original single phase electrics were far better than i thought they would be.

My question is did you retain the centre idler twin belt setup or go for single belt?

Malc

28/01/2017 17:51:04

I am just finishing off converting my Chester 626 to VFD.

Motor is now 1.1kw TEC

Pendant control is Ex Ebay seller.

VFD is Teco L510 rated 1.5kw. Thought I would go with another Teco as I like the one on my Harrison.

Ripped out all the electrics and started again. Mains is all RCD protected so went for mains into 3 x MCBs inside the column.

1 to mains transformer down to 24v for LoVo light, 1 to supply DRO and 1 to VFD.

Between the VFD I have put a 4-6.3,amp variable overload protector that i had surplus from my lathe conversion now set at 5 amp.

Pendant is nice piece of kit which through the VFD,s logic controls gives start, stop, jog, NVR E stop, potentiometer for speed control and forward/ reverse switching.

A pleasant surprise is that this particular inverter has the ability to display the actual RPM through its group 12 parameters which can be adjusted by juggling with another parameter. I intend to set the top speed of of the inverter to 75Hz which is max recommended for the motor and then max the belts to give around 2600/2700RPM at 75Hz.

I am currently waiting for a digital tacho coming to then calibrate the the VFD,s RPM display.

I did consider ( and am still considering ) doing away with the idler pulley if possible and setting up with one belt motor to pulley. This may help reduce some belt noise. Have mixed thoughts on this as having the double belt setup as original supply will allow me more chance of lowering belt speed settings per the need for extra low speed torque.

img_0809.jpg

Thread: Proper tool grinding?
28/01/2017 08:53:15

Posted by John Reese on 05/08/2016 03:44:16:

Freehand grinding will get you any shape tool you are likely ever need. The typical bench grinder has two faults: the work rest is inadequate and the wheels supplied are ill suited to grinding high speed steel. Those limitations acn be corrected quite easily. A work rest similar to the Veritas will make it much easier to use. Friable aluminum oxide wheels do a much better job on high sped steel than those supplied with the grinder. In the US the friable aluminum oxide wheels for bench grinders is listed tn the catalogs catering to woodworkers.

Agree 100% with this.

I was originally a toolroom turner by trade and all my HSS tool grinding was done freehand. The exceptions being high precision form tools that were done by others on the optical grinders.

The big difference twixt then and now is the quality of bench and pedestal grinders available.

Use of correct stones for both roughing and finishing is essential.

Grinding rests in earleir days were far more substantial and to a degree some were adjustable. The rests on modern day grinders in the main need binning and replacing, in some cases can be downright dangerous because they are like tinplate. More substantial or modified ones are called for.

As mentioned Axminister do the Veritas which would improve things considerably, but they also do a similar made one ( copy? ) that is cheaper and even has a bit more base positional adjustment. I personally would say you will not need anyting more for HSS turning tools unless special forms are required but that a different game.

As also mentioned about stones, I too also had 5 or 6 white fine Arkansas stones, 1:2 and 3/4" square, some with grooves and also a couple of rads.

The media is so powerful now both Youtube and googling can satisfy a tremendous amount of learning. Then there also books, but as others have stated, don't feel blinded by science. Rake and clearance angles are not too critical, so as long as are in the right direction i.e. Positive or negative to match materials where needed.

If however you feel like a multi adjustable rest would give you an ideal project and a good amount of satisfaction then by all means go for it. Personally, I reckon the ones like the HH are total overkill for just lathe tools but................

I have said before, its all about enjoyment and not endurance.

Thread: Full workshop for sale on ebay
26/01/2017 13:11:27
Posted by Roger Williams 2 on 26/01/2017 10:15:43:

Hello all, Ive told my wife a number of times that whatever she does, dont let the scrap man have anything. Just pick up the phone and contact one of the preserved railways, West Somerset, Vale of Berkeley, Bodmin etc. Im pretty sure they would jump at the chance of some useful equipment. Apart from the odd battery drill, Im pretty sure she or the kids wont want anything. Thats my wish anyway.

I have told my wife not to sell any of my equipment or motorcycles for what I told her they cost me

Thread: Deburring machine
24/01/2017 10:04:38

Thats interesting, whats actually doing the cutting?

Is it a cutter or grinding disc?

Can't see clearly enough on the ipad.

Thread: Kennedy Vernier calipers
22/01/2017 15:37:15

I have a set of Kennedy 300mm Digital calipers ref: 331-2320K which I have had for about 3 years now.

They are actually of a decent quality. Cannot speak with any knowledge of the ones you are looking at, but if a set of their 150mm/6" came up at the right price I woould deffo buy them myself and certainly in favour of Mitutoyo who I dislike with a vengence. But thats another long story.

For obvious reasons they never get as much use as my 6"/150mm Tesa digital calipers which are about 20 yrs old now and have been faultless. I have actually bought a set of the M & W from the DRO peple that Neil reviewed recently in MEW. Bought them really to ease the pressure of use on my Tesa. For the £23 I paid for these they actually seem a pretty decent piece of kit but very early days yet.

Thread: Warco vs Chester
20/01/2017 21:52:20
Posted by John Stevenson on 20/01/2017 00:23:06:
Posted by MalcB on 19/01/2017 21:56:35:

If I was buying new one it would be the Chester because of two things, their location and secondly colour. I have said it before, quite controversially in that I could not live with their green colour scheme.

What i cannot understand between these two suppliers is why one of them has not taken the lead over the other in offering an " Off The Shelf " 100mm Riser for the column for those that need it, as making you own is time consuming.

By the same ruling Malc I couldn't live with white or cream in a workshop. It is a workshop after all and not a kitchen.

I recently bought a lathe from China from the Sieg Blue and white industrial range and had them paint it all blue to do away with the white. Same for a commercial router that the firm supplied in cream. Told them I only wanted it if it WASN'T in cream, they offered blue so i took it but would have taken any colour.

As regards the risers I can answer this quite easily. I have made 5 or 6 now [ trying to work my way down a eight foot bar of 6" steel ]

Not of them have had the same register and PCD. as it all depends on which factory they are sourced from. 3 of these have been Warco machines, 2 of them from Chester but all of differing ages.

Hi John.

In reverse order, thats very interesting about the risers all being different in hole pitching and registers etc. I have only had to make the one which was quite challenging when I had the Boxy as all i could get my hands on as a freeby was a 170mm dia steel profiled small ID ring. Twas a bit too big for it really.

It dosnt however suprise me about the eastern suppliers having no standardisation. It does not mean though Warco or Chester could not spec them up to now, for them to be standardised and start from there.

Have you had 5 VMC's that you have made so many, or just done for others?

Colours:

Controversial as I mentioned. I can only really go off whats happening in industry, since the early to mid 80's I have put in many CNC machine tools and some specialised machines. Solid green in modern machine tools went out in the late 80's early 90's, the last green ones I put in were Wadkin vertical machining centres.

The emphasis is now actually going beyond that of just a kitchen and more to setting up machine shops that look like laboratories. You only needed to visit Mach 16' to see just how much white is offered. Pale greys, blues etc. The leaning towards a bright but not gaudy CLINICAL look is tremendous.

Personally I love white in machines, it makes a workshop a bright place and it encourages me to keep them clean.

From a small machine tools and traing perspective I was able to join a party of students just before Christmas who were attending the Boxford factory by invite. It was interesting to see their manufacturing and refurbishment facility. Their move to Spacious, tidy, bright and clinical is very evident.

19/01/2017 21:56:35

I reckon with both these suppliers that your location could well have a bearing on which machine.

If you are in a relative easy travelling distance to go badger them or procure items quickly then that would be advantageous. Theres little twixt the two machines themselves, maybe the Warco's being finished a tad better, but thats speculative.

I have the Chester 626 which I bought 2nd hand privately and Chester are only about 40 or so miles away which I found useful at first. If it had been badged the Warco I would still have bought it.

If I was buying new one it would be the Chester because of two things, their location and secondly colour. I have said it before, quite contraversionally in that I could not live with their green colour scheme.

But one thing is certain, I would definately buy another VMC as they are so versatile.

What i cannot understand between these two suppliers is why one of them has not taken the lead over the other in offering an " Off The Shelf " 100mm Riser for the column for those that need it, as making you own is time consuming.

Edited By MalcB on 19/01/2017 21:57:34

Edited By MalcB on 19/01/2017 21:58:04

Thread: Sealing BSP fittings
18/01/2017 17:09:36

Liquid PTFE sealant is readily available.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
walker midge
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
JD Metals
Warco
emcomachinetools
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest