By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for derek blake

Here is a list of all the postings derek blake has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Part built Allchin 1.5 inch
02/04/2020 19:33:41

Hi All

just a quick question, would I be shot by the traction engine supporters if I painted my Allchin tender Black?

is there any Allchin I could model mine on other than the maroon, I’ve had huge trouble with finish with painting the tender let alone chips etc, but satin black stove paint goes on beautiful and is hard wearing.

the wheels, boiler cladding and crankshaft area are maroon.

Regards

Del

27/03/2020 21:21:45

Hi All

I hope everyone is well, quick question I started to spray paint my engine with acrylic spray paint.

the boiler parts with VHT paint, my question is the boiler cladding would the acrylic spray paint bubble or go soft and waste my time?

thanks in advance

Thread: Brian's 1" Minnie Traction Engine
24/03/2020 23:44:10

Nice work Brian

Thread: Part built Allchin 1.5 inch
15/03/2020 22:44:57

Hi All

i hope everyone is well, considering the situation at the moment.

i have a quick question regarding the Allchin safety valve, is there any drawing discrepancies on this part of the build.

the valves that drop down into the steam passages, should these be a sliding fit? It’s not very clear on the drawings, I have leaks around these valves even at low pressure.

does anyone have any pictures of the finished valves for reference.

kind regards

Del

11/03/2020 17:59:28

Good evening

Could someone advise a uk machinist who would be able to machine two eccentric straps.

i hand made these last time but I’d like a better fit, I have two new castings but finding it hard to find anyone on google who machines live steam parts.

funds are not a problem but finding someone is, any advice greatfully received.

Derek

10/03/2020 20:18:51

Hi Clive

Interesting! However when I put my ear to the various areas it does seem to be coming from the crank

10/03/2020 19:38:06

Hi Micheal

unfortunately they are solid bearings, the play is more of a twist that forward and back,

i guess I’m bemused as the engine ran quiet yesterday but just all of a sudden started knocking.

regards

Derek

10/03/2020 18:46:22

Hi All

if anyone gets time could they please advise the likely causes of knocking when the engine is running.

it started all of a sudden, I can see and feel movement in the crank bearing which is odd as it’s all brand new and started all of a sudden.

the crank moves ever so slightly in the bearing forward and back, I think this knocks and vibrates through the hornplates.

is my only option to make new bearings for a sung fit on the crank, it ran beautifully yesterday but the loud knock started today. Will this movement just come back even if I start all over again, I had plenty if oil on the area.

thanks in advance.

edf8b8b6-e787-420d-9ce7-295007df695b.jpeg

09/03/2020 22:56:13

Hi everyone

So the Allchin has been on the back burner for a while now, no real new progress other than fitting the safety valve and trying to find an easy way to test this to set blow level, any ideas?

I have ran the engine at Christmas on air and it runs very well I think in forward and reverse, I’m just setting up the control rod and lever now.

Regards

Del

09/03/2020 22:51:34

Hi Jim

everyone has the right to be on the forum, I’m presently building the Allchin in 1.5inch scale.

29/12/2019 16:09:05

No real updates, other than running engine in on air.

i can hear some leak from the clack valve I made and I can see bubbles in the lubricator so there is obviously a leak from cylinder back down the pipe so I’m going to have to adjust the spring or adjust the ball.

however it runs so I’m happy.

i have the video added to YouTube as mentioned for anyone who would like to see the engine running.

Derek

24/12/2019 17:56:15

Thanks John, I will take a look

24/12/2019 15:05:32

New YouTube video added, under “Second Allchin air test”

Merry Christmas

23/12/2019 20:28:16

dcbb95fa-3560-4a79-8963-04336d075d5d.jpegPulley wheel made, a lot of hand shaping as I had no tool to cut the recess but not looking too bad,

still trying to source the correct size bevel gears but struggling.

cf05002b-2d82-4285-9002-8b58a518bdbc.jpeg

22/12/2019 21:03:10

Hi All

ive been doing some bits to the engine but no new pictures yet but there will be soon for anyone who maybe interested.

one question I do have is sourcing the bevel gears for the Pickering governor, has anyone purchased these and know of a supplier, I’m going to keep an eye on eBay just in case as I need the pulley wheels as well but these I maybe able to make.

Derek

Thread: Brian's 1" Minnie Traction Engine
19/12/2019 10:12:49

Hi Brian

Great work, looking great 👍

17/12/2019 21:34:43

Very nice work Brian.

28/11/2019 09:09:13

Hi Brian

yes I would probably you epoxy myself, as flux can seep out over time but I’m no expert.

i look forward to the updates, keep them coming,

Derek

26/11/2019 17:00:45

Wheels look lovely and neat.

26/11/2019 17:00:13

Out of interest what part gets soldered? I bet that’s hard to keep neat.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Allendale Electronics
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest