By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Chris Richards 3

Here is a list of all the postings Chris Richards 3 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Alternative to PC based Cnc controllers
12/09/2016 22:01:30

This has turned into a debate

I know it can work fine in theory my industrial control runs a dos based system fine for milling.

But if you can get a dedicated standalone controller for the price of a breakout board and a brand new computer why not go that route? No booting up, shutting down and all that Microsoft mumbo jumbo.

11/09/2016 22:31:10

John I looked some more at the one you mention and it is similar to a 3 axis one on eBay £500 price doesn't sound bad if it does what it says on the tin. I've had a DRO before that looked questionable on the advert but works better than the branded stuff. Its probably used in Chinese machine shops to manufacture the stuff for sale on eBay

11/09/2016 20:53:57

Hello All,

Just looking into control solutions for a 2 axis Cnc lathe. Has anyone used any alternatives to the pc based systems such as Mach?

Ive been looking at the various standalone systems that have an inbuilt lcd and accept g code via usb memory stick. There's a few no name eBay specials and ones branded as Adtech control etc..

Anyone have any experience with these types of control?

Thanks,

Chris

Thread: 3 Phase CNC milling machine on single phase
11/03/2016 12:34:25

I'll see if I can look again at the wiring to answer the questions. I did look on the transformer for a 240v input but it appears to just have 415v and 380v input.

What kind of issues would running it off a 5hp rotary converter cause? That's a tempting simple option but I assume the imperfect supply may cause electrical problems.

Thanks,

Chris

10/03/2016 21:32:34

Thanks for the info so far, I appreciate I didnt provide much to work from so I've just been attempting to trace wires so I can make a simplyfied wiring diagram.

So this is how I think its wired up:

3 phase 415v comes in to 3 fuses and splits off to the following

--->Main Cabinet Transformer splits voltages to:

--->85v 3 Red wires --> 160v Capacitor --> 3 axis servo amplifier ---> Servos

--->240v 2 wires blue, brown ---> Controller Top board

--->110v 2 wires ---> Controller End Board

--->24v 2 wires ---> Controller End Board

-->Yellow box Transformer ---> power drawbar

-->Coolant Pump

-->Spindle motor switch

More Photos to clarrify:

img_2749.jpg

These are the 3 fuses where the 3 phase comes in at the bottom and then goes through the switches/fuse things for the drawbar and spindle.

img_2745.jpg

This is the 160v capacitor the 85v appears to go to and then on to the servo amplifier.

img_2746.jpg

This is the contents of the yellow box that I previously thought went to the spindle motor but this goes to the power drawbar 3 wires and fuse go in to the this box and lots appear to go out to the switch.

img_2751.jpg

This is the top board and end board 240v, 110v and 24v goes into this from the transformer. It appears this then sends power off to the monitor, computer etc..

img_2752.jpg

This is the Servo amplifier board that appears to be fed from the 85v

So at this point the question is what direction to take? rotary converter, vfd to the spindle motor. Im still confusied im sure the motor is wired delta but appears fed direct from 415v. I guess the most cost effective route is always best

09/03/2016 23:09:14

Hi John,

The 2nd photo is a close up of the transformer seen in the 3rd photo. The stamped plate as in 2nd photo says input 415v and output 240v at a current guess it provides the power for the computer and servos but I'm not sure yet until I pull cable covers off.

I'll try get more photos in the morning

Thanks,

Chris

09/03/2016 22:12:25

Here's some pictures to illustrate my current observations:

image.jpegThis yellow box goes to the spindle motor

image.jpeg

This is what is written on the transformer inside the main cabinet

image.jpegMain cabinet contents on the machine

image.jpeg

09/03/2016 21:45:27

Hello all the electric minded,

So after a lot of searching and saving I have finally sourced a large CNC milling machine that will fit through a 30" wide door. The machine is a Tryax ycm 40 knee mill and uses 3 phase, I now need to convert it to run on single phase.

The machine has a 3 hp motor wired delta, fed through from a small box that appears to have a transformer that states 220v. In it's main cabinet it has a transformer that states input 415v and output 240v. i'm guessing the transformer is just suppling the control that is probably single phase? Maybe I can use the transformer and reverse the wiring, if only life was that simple

At this stage it is quite overwhelming so I need to work out where to start without causing too much damage

I'll try add some pictures, to help explain what im working with, any questions and suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Chris

Thread: Expensive CAD and CAM software treated like a physical asset?
06/03/2016 18:13:04

I've briefly looked at the Fusion 360 but personally don't like the idea of investing time into something that could be taken away in the future. I also dislike the subscription based systems as who knows how the renewal will turn out each year.

I definitely need 3D design, I didn't want to spend loads hence looking at used seats hoping to get more for the money. I may settle for something like Bobcad as you get integrated cam and 3D modelling mmm hopefully I can sell the software on if I make the wrong choice

05/03/2016 23:07:23

Hello,

I've recently done the rounds of pricing up various cad and cam software packages. The sales guys try to push that it is an asset that you own so does that mean I could legally buy and use a second hand copy? What do people think?

Thanks,
Chris

Thread: TurboCAD Mac OS version
19/02/2016 19:55:35

Hello, thanks for confirming there's not much between them. Is it flexible with the 3D side, I want to do some complex drawings? I'll have to try download the demo but need to decide the version to look at delux, pro hard to know with slow internet

18/02/2016 21:50:11

Hello,

Just looking at CAD software for 3D modelling of parts to then use later in cnc machining.

I started looking at the suggestions of TurboCAD mentioned on the forum and noticed they do a Mac OS version, has anyone used this?

I would download demos but my internet connection means it's a 24hour wait

Thanks,

Chris

Thread: Emco compact 5 cnc lathe with Welturn
30/11/2015 22:20:57

Hi Peter,

You need to keep me posted on your conversion. I want to know if it's any easier to operate and importantly how much it costs to convert. I purchased the lathe to try learn cnc as I'd like to get larger machines in the future but not sure if it's for me at the moment :-/

29/11/2015 22:05:50

Ps open to swaps for a capstan lathe

29/11/2015 22:03:21

Emgee, thanks for that I was pressing the insert button rather than the return key, so that solved that issue

John I have tested the lazy cam theory, with that I managed to convert a dxf file in to g code. I then managed to get that into the Welturn and then face the next challenge. It wasn't quite happy with the format, I found Welturn needs the percent "%" at the start and end of the file.

I'm now at the point I think I'm out of my depth or no longer have the will to carry on

27/11/2015 18:25:23

Hi Emgee, I might be wrong but I think the limit is lifted when using the Welturn software as the pc is feeding the the code to the machine, I guess the codes are still limited though.

I did ask the question on the Emco group but it doesn't seem to active. The mfi looks like an option but every time I add a line it inserts it as an empty line for some reason :-/

John, I guess that is a good work around, are parameters available that can be set to state the available g codes for the machine? It would make sense if that was a feature in the programs.

27/11/2015 16:30:01

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has used an Emco compact 5 cnc lathe with the Welturn software?

I'm just trying to find a cad software to create the .Cnc files which contain g code. I can potentially manually write them but that's about it.

Thanks,

Chris

Thread: 3 jaw chucks and soft jaws
29/10/2015 21:43:57

I'm not sure if his site only mentions boring them for specific jobs but not a one size fits all setup. Strange can't find any mentions of using them as a one size fits all.

Thread: Myford Super 7 motor clicking noise
29/10/2015 21:11:24

An update on this thread for anyone with similar noises from a brooks crompton motor on a Myford. I finally had the chance to strip it down to discover the plastic fan grub screw loose so it was free to do its own thing hence the clacking noise. Nice and easy fix for something that sounded terminal.

Thread: Reprofiling revolving centre
29/10/2015 20:49:52

I managed to clamp a drill upside down against the tool post on a lathe it actually worked fine as a tool post grinder

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest