By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Wout Moerman

Here is a list of all the postings Wout Moerman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Inverter drives for single phase motors
08/04/2019 18:33:15

You want to use an inverter as a variable frequency drive? I don't know how much you can vary the frequency for a sine phase motor without it stopping. The capacitor is optimised for 50 or 60 Hz and I don't know if it generates a good phase shift at half the frequency.

An alternative can be to remove the capacitor and power the motor as a 3 phase. For some single phase motors this is possible. Not if it starts with a centifugal switch I think. But if it has 3 identical windings it is possible. Then power it with a 1 to 3 phase VFD.

Thread: Natural gas for TIG welding
01/04/2019 11:36:09

Wow guys,

You really are quick in realising the date! Sorry gentlemen, I couldn't resist the temptation to try a joke.

I did resist buying that welder and bought a lightweight ARC-only instead. The price of all additional stuff was to high, and that is mainly the price of the bottle of argon gas.

Wout

Edited By Wout Moerman on 01/04/2019 11:49:53

01/04/2019 10:48:17

Hi all,

I received an inverter ARC/TIG welder and will try this out this evening. I noticed that it needs gas for TIG welding and that argon is really expensive. Therefore I am thinking of using natural gas for displacing the oxygen in the air. Has anyone else tried this before?

this is the welder:

**LINK**

Thread: How far to be off tool centre before a turned finish becomes poor?
14/12/2018 20:14:46

I use old "credit cards" which are about .7 mm thick.

Thread: Problems with a breadmaker
23/09/2018 15:28:41

We aRe on our third Panasonic. We bake daily, sometimes twice. Number one was used until the anti stick coating was gone in many places. That seems to be the weakest part, also in the replacements. But they are really good machines. I guess we get about 1000 breads out of a machine, so that about 10 cent per bread.

We vary a lot in recipes and sometimes they breads are even, sometimes not. But it always tastes vastly superior to supermarket bread!

Thread: 5 Cylinder Rotary Air Engine
15/09/2018 21:24:47

And what kind of plane will it fly? Any idea for a airtank? Or am I getting carried away?

Edited By Wout Moerman on 15/09/2018 21:36:45

15/09/2018 21:23:01

Very nice! I am very interested in compressed air engines and would love to see a plan or sketch. The porting is I n the rear of the crankcase? Can you explain the mechanism a bit more? Just 1 opening in the stationary part?

Thread: kitchen fan speed control
02/08/2018 09:03:41

For silencing a rather loud ventilation fan I wanted it to turn at a lower RPM. I wired a 230 volts light bulb in series with the fan. By changing the lightbulb to a different wattage I can adjust the speed. A higher wattage means a higher RPM. Not a continiusly adjustable speed and some heat lost in the lamp, which faintly glows. But it is an easy method.

Thread: drilling files
19/07/2018 15:55:50
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 18/07/2018 10:44:26:
Posted by mick70 on 18/07/2018 06:26:53:

got a few old blunt and broken files.

thinking of making folding knife out of one was wondering how difficult to drill?

does it need any particular drill bit or certain speeds?

I'm an expert on this after watching 'Forged in Fire' on telly!

I'm not sure if there's a good reason for drilling the tang AFTER the blade's been hardened. They all do it that way. Possibly the hole causes warping if drilled before tempering.

This is all armchair engineering!- If someone who's actually done it answers, believe him first!

Dave

I also watch a lot of forged in fire. One strange thing of this show is that they never show the tempering of the hardened steel. But they do this between the takes. Sometimes they mention something like "now that the blades are tempered ....". In the tempered state the metal is still hard to drill but not as hard as in the fully hardened state.

Thread: Thickening oil
16/06/2018 20:59:11

Just thinking out loud, add a bit of grease to the oil? And you already have the thickest oil available?

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
27/05/2018 09:18:04
Posted by Adam Mara on 26/05/2018 17:11:58:

Finished of conversion of my bench. I read Sean Floods article on his floor stand for a lathe in Model Engineers Workshop, liked the idea of mounting the lathe on a beam. A search in the workshop revealed 2 short lengths of 50x50mm steel tube, and a length of 80 x 80mm. Dropped the existing bench top 130mm, and bolted the 50x50 at each end, and the 80x80 bolted though the 50x50 and the bench. Made a 700 x 400mm drip tray this morning of grooved and folded ACM, just some odd bits and tidying to be finished off tomorrow.

Adam, can you show some pictures of the new bench? Makes me curious, can't really visualisee the construction. Which MEW, BTW?

Thread: The Workshop Progress thread 2018
21/05/2018 13:49:29

Nice colour for that flywheel. I see some rough edges and no center hole. Still have to do some machining on the flywheel?

Thread: Shortened MT4 toolholders
21/05/2018 13:46:16

How did you shorten the tapers? In a lathe probably but with what kind of tools? And how did you mount it in the lathe?

I've shortened a few mt2 tapers and found it a tough job.

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
01/05/2018 11:06:02

Clean socks and underwear every day. Shower every other day. Clothes almost a week. But I dress casual and don't do hard labour. Now on holiday I shower every morning because of the sweaty hotel beds wit synthetic sheets and all.

Thread: Painting problems
28/04/2018 19:18:04

The coat is to thick by spraying too close to the surface or the temperature is too low? In both cases the propellant can't escape from the paint before a paint film has formed.

Thread: LED strip lighting
24/04/2018 22:50:37

I'm in the Netherlands and we actually have 230 volts AC. Plus or minus 2 volts. 220 V is long ago, but I often still call it 220 and so do many others. So that might lead to the conclusion that we still have 220 volts.

Thread: Un workable steel
25/03/2018 08:18:31

Don't bin it but use it as an anvil.

Thread: Fabrication of solder wires
19/03/2018 07:16:57

Never done this but this question makes me wonder: why do you want to to do this? And any plans to make wire with a flux core?

Thread: Slitting Saw Arbor. A useful workshop project
10/03/2018 11:15:48

Both seem nice designs. I presume the clamping force for the saw must be as far outward as possible ? In the first design I see some recesses but not in the second. Is it flat?

Thread: Self tapping sheet metal screws
15/02/2018 07:08:49

Thanks for the explanation, Nicholas.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowbells
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Meridienne; London MES
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest